I don't want to kill wolves..

+
I don't want to kill animals too. It must be really tragedy if you must to kill wolves. Something like griffin situation. Wolves don't attack people without reasons. Are your game mechanics animal friendly guys?

Killing monsters yes, but something makes me feel uneasy killing wolves.. such majestic and wonderful creatures. I hope there isnt a collect 20 wolf pelts etc as i know I wont want to kill them, anybody else feel like this or is just me? always feel like in other games as well. The way they whimper as well.. don't like it.

Do you eat pigs, chicks and cows by any chance?
The wolves are digital, they don't feel pain...

I don't want to kill animals too. It must be really tragedy if you must to kill wolves. Something like griffin situation. Wolves don't attack people without reasons. Are your game mechanics animal friendly guys?

In that case a vegan witcher mod must be implemented.

Would you spare a wolf if he's aiming at your throat? I don't think so.
Then you have to consider that the game takes place in a dark middle age, in which the needs, the sensibility and the priorities are completely different from the ones of our time.
Back then it was normal to kill in order to eat, to dress oneself and to make money. Get over it.
I like animals in general and I'd never harm them, but this is a role playing game, and you have to play as a monster hunter that needs money and that kills for it.

A couple times while playing Skyrim my wife comes in to watch me for a bit and sees me killing a deer.
Wife: "OHHH! Why did you kill that poor innocent animal?"
Me: "ummm... it was ummmm... Attacking me... Yeah"
:D

Killing him, for example:

is much bigger crime, than exterminating the entire wolf population in the north... :D

Well you dont have to activly hunt them. and you can try to avoid them.

If the AI is as realistic as CDPR says and as it seems wolves wont just attack you out of the blue. they tend to leave you alone as long as you dont go near them

and if a wolf pack hunts YOU you barley have a choice than to defend your self... just as in real life^^

The fear of wolves has been pervasive in many societies, though humans are not part of the wolf's natural prey. How wolves react to humans depends largely on their prior experience with people: wolves lacking any negative experience of humans, or are food conditioned, may show little fear of people. Although wolves may react aggressively under provocation, such attacks are mostly limited to quick bites on extremities, and the attacks are not pressed. Predatory attacks (attacks by wolves treating humans as food) may be preceded by a long period of habituation, in which wolves gradually lose their fear of humans. The victims are repeatedly bitten on the head and face, and are then dragged off and consumed, unless the wolves are driven off. Such attacks typically occur only locally, and do not stop until the wolves involved are eliminated. Predatory attacks can occur at any time of the year, with a peak in the June–August period, when the chances of people entering forested areas (for livestock grazing or berry and mushroom picking) increase, though cases of non-rabid wolf attacks in winter have been recorded in Belarus, the Kirovsk and Irkutsk districts, Karelia and Ukraine. Also, wolves with pups experience greater food stress–es during this period. The majority of victims of predatory wolf attacks are children under the age of 18 and, in the rare cases where adults are killed, the victims are almost always women. Cases of rabid wolves are low when compared to other species, as wolves do not serve as primary reservoirs of the disease, but can be infected by animals such as dogs, jackals and foxes. Incidents of rabies in wolves are very rare in North America, though numerous in the eastern Mediterranean, Middle East and Central Asia. Wolves apparently develop the "furious" phase of rabies to a very high degree which, coupled with their size and strength, makes rabid wolves perhaps the most dangerous of rabid animals, with bites from rabid wolves being 15 times more dangerous than those of rabid dogs. Rabid wolves usually act alone, travelling large distances and often biting large numbers of people and domestic animals. Most rabid wolf attacks occur in the spring and autumn periods. Unlike with predatory attacks, the victims of rabid wolves are not eaten, and the attacks generally only occur on a single day. Also, the victims are chosen at random, though the majority of cases involve adult men. In the half-century up to 2002, there were eight fatal attacks in Europe and Russia, and more than 200 in south Asia. Between 2005-2010, two people were killed in North America.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gray_wolf#Relationships_with_humans

Watch this. Wolves better than people.

Last edited:
---------- Updated at 10:11 AM ----------

Animals don't try to kill or rape your 10 years old daughter.

And that was just the first example that came in my mind...

Actually, they do.
(1) There's an area I like to go camping in the summers.
There have been confirmed (i.e. reliable) reports of Coyotes attacking young children whom go off by themselves away from the tent, to go to the bathroom.
They can be opportunistic and will jump at the opportunity to catch an easy meal.

(2) There's also Cougars (Puma / Mountain Lions) west of where I live, that will stalk and attack joggers/bikers, from behind. Plenty of cases where Cougars have attacked both young and older people alike.

-Oh and don't let your pet Fido or Fifi out to play - they may not come home.

@oOParaOo what about 'wargs'? In the one of the ign gameplay videos they were described as wargs. They might've changed it ( I doubt it) or there could be both wolves and wargs (most likely). I wouldn't bet on it, but maybe you'll end up fighting wargs instead of wolves.

@oOParaOo what about 'wargs'? In the one of the ign gameplay videos they were described as wargs. They might've changed it ( I doubt it) or there could be both wolves and wargs (most likely). I wouldn't bet on it, but maybe you'll end up fighting wargs instead of wolves.

i the video some of them were wargs, some of them were simple wolfs.

It's alwaysa annoyed me how in games (and movies) wolves are treated as villains.

They are just animals, and most wolves are simply scared of humans or curious at best.

They don't see humans as a good source usually and over hte years most attacks are from rabid wolves and attacks on small people.

A person like Geralt would not be seen as "prey" by any normal wolf.

I was watching the TV series lately, and exactly the same thing crossed my mind. Geralt should have a bound with the wolves. It totally would be cool if, instead of killing them, Geralt could somehow interact with them, maybe even get support if fighting some drowners? I don't like killing dogs/wolves in general in games. The game does need some entry-level monsters, but I guess CDPR has worked on a lot of them, so we needn't really kill the wolves.
Personally I think the mood would benefit a lot if wolves didn't treat Geralt as any other beast.

Maybe a good news for all wolf lovers:

Even with creatures like wolves for example, without getting too technical, there is a radius around them and when you enter that radius some of them will start growling and warn you that you are getting too close. If you move away they should leave you alone, but if you keep walking towards a wolf you will hit another radius around the creature that says, 'okay, go attack him now'. That system is in place with most animal/ creatures as to give you a warning so you don't just aggro half the map when all you wanted to do was pick up a flower for a potion that just happened to be in the middle of the swamps.

From here:
http://www.digitallydownloaded.net/2015/03/interview-as-we-get-more-excitied-for.html

We have further info...
I don't know what are you asking about, so after reading this question I've loaded game to play briefly with mouse and keyboard. Believe me or not - never did it before. So I've killed a monster and a goose, gathered some herbs, did a walkabout and it seems that M&K controls are fine, responsive and working.

Ability to kill sweet, innocent animals confirmed.

Top Bottom