I, for one, much prefer the current version to CB

+
I, for one, much prefer the current version to CB

Am I the only old player who actually likes it better under PB? By "old" I mean having played under CB. I was lucky enough to receive an invi almost as soon as CB started, so I've basically experienced all the patches and tweaks since last October. And I must say I'm enjoying PB much more than CB.

To begin with, most cards and mechanisms are reworked, many are practically new. It's clear the devs have put a lot of time and effort into it. Yeah, I know it's their job, but there's a marked difference when a job is thoughtfully - perhaps even lovingly - done. The meta under CB toward the end was rather hopelessly slanted and twisted imo, and PB is like a breath of fresh air, making the game fun again.

A lot of complaints have been (inevitably) made about weather, which has got to be one of the top 3 recurring themes on the forum - the other 2 being "X card/ X faction is OP" and "Gwent was better the way it was and I'm quitting" lol. But personally I think weather is actually more interesting now. No, I don't run a weather deck, I am and have always been SK main, I used to moan every time I saw the opponent play weather; in fact, I still don't like weather much as far as my own deck is concerned. The point is, though, the current mechanism offers more variety, and more ways to deal with it than the same old Clear Skies: MO, NG and NR all have bronze cards that can clear weather, ST can move the cards around even after they're played to avoid weather dmg, and even SK has Armorsmith and Warcrier to make up for lost points. SK and NR also have silver cards which can clear weather when necessary but which have other uses too, and I like the versatility and choice.

As to the unsymmetry of weather, it makes more sense now that weather is DOT, whereas when it used to reduce all cards on the row to 1 instantly, it was much more punishing and so symmetry was necessary to prevent abuse. If some MO players are now abusing weather, that's just lazy thinking and seriously limits their deck, since they have to have 3 Frost to be summoned by all 3 Hounds - taking up 6 cards in total, plus maybe 2 or 3 Ice Giants, leaving quite little room for imagination. Even the much criticized RNG is not that outrageous when you think about it: in one turn, it makes 9 points' difference at most (and often lower than 9 when the opponent doesn't have that many cards on all rows), which is quite standard for a gold card. Sure, RNG deals DOT, but this is situational and can be countered in several ways, including a single, bronze, Clear Skies. Yes, at the moment Clear Skies is still a must for almost any deck, which says something about the power of weather, so there's probably room for further adjustment, but all in all, I think weather works better now than it did under CB.

I understand a lot of the above have been discussed at great length here, and a lot of people will not agree with me. That's fine. I'm just sharing my 2 cents, and taking this opportunity to say, Hey, devs, at least this player appreciates the changes and enjoys the game even better now. Thanks and keep up the good work!

Last edited:
Same here.

obviously, not everything is perfect, but the direction is correct (imo) AND, given the amount of changes, the balance remarkable.

those who complain about weather should start using first light/ other cards that clear weather or move units to another row. there are plenty of solutions to that in game already
those who complain about skellinge should start using more aoe/locks
those who complain about Tibor/kejran/etc should start using schacles/dwemerite bomb
those who complain about nilfgard should learn how to play =D

in my opinion those who complain either doesent have idea what are they complaining aobut or are just ignorat.

overall game is balanced right now, in comparison to CB this is as much ballance as we could probably get.
but thats my opinion., overall iam really happy with gwent atm. waiting for more.... !

I like Gwent more than on CB and agree they made more good decisions than bad and playing the game is fun and engaging, but CDPR still need to work a lot on balance and server stability so feedback is very needed.
​​​​​​Flavor wise weather not being simetrical doesn't make sense (it's just aoe over time) no weather immunity also feels off (how the hell my ice giant died by frost?).
Also just feels like they took different measures with different factions. NG have such high numbers on their units it just feels miserable to draw a golden NR.

I am really enjoying the PB and all the changes it has brought. I hope it continues in this direction.

It was a lot of fun to go through my nilfgaard collection last night and just see the major overhaul it desperately needed. I am thrilled to see what combos i can come up with them. They were just about garbage in CB.

At first i wasn't a fan of the weather mechanic but as time went on i definitely like how weather is going. We have enough counter measures (They gave our unit a clear row!) and can also still work through it. Rather getting completely demolished to power of 1.

Some of the complaints i dont understand like Tibor and cow tossing. They didn't really change from CB and now they are OP? I think as time goes on and people get more cards to handle/counter units things will settle down.

Keep up the great work Devs :)

For Nilfgaard!!

That's so funny, of course ppl who post here and play Nilfgaard will like it, ehh no worth even to comment it

There are things I prefer about the public beta, and things I preferred in the closed beta. The final patch of CB was dreadful, and I much prefer the current version, but there are definitely things I miss. My Neophytes deck is probably the main one, and quite a few of the old Northern Realms mechanics (although I completely get why they were changed). I also miss being able to actually do things about gold cards. Most things though, I'm happy to experience new things and I'm looking forward to more ideas being added.

Kingoko;n8740940 said:
That's so funny, of course ppl who post here and play Nilfgaard will like it, ehh no worth even to comment it
If we are to listen to the complainers everything would be broken.
- NG is broken just because (i've seen complain about everything from fire scorpion (!!!) to tibor)
- SK is broken because queensguards and morkvarg can't be countered (apparently)
- ST is broken because hoog spawn 30+ power round 1, and let's not forget about eithne that spam specials like there is no tomorrow
- Monster is broken because it's not fair that wild hunt spawn weather and then rely on triple resilient unit round 2
- NR is apparently balanced, unless ofc you get flooded with stuff and lose
- Oh and weather is obviously broken (this is the only point i consider fair) ofc

The only things I miss are neophtyes and golds that can damage other golds (though that was changed before CB ended). Generally speaking I agree with the OP.

ChlopiecZZapalkami;n8738980 said:
those who complain about weather should start using first light/ other cards that clear weather or move units to another row. there are plenty of solutions to that in game already

I do complain about weather. It should affect both sides. Change from "set to 1" to gradual damage is good. But one sided weather is not.
I'm playing deck with 15 weather cards now and the deck is quite solid. I'm not hurting my units and you have only two options - react to weather, or react to my units and watch your units melt in weather. And even if you have 3 First lights and unit clearing weather, are you really keeping all of them in your hand? Because even if you do, I still have another 12 weather cards ready. Just the fact that this deck is playable shows how broken weather is.

Keep gradual damage, affect both sides and perhaps make the weather tied to specific row like it used to be in CBT (frost for meele row only, fog for ranged, ...) - this is what I want to see.

Bugii;n8741440 said:
I do complain about weather. It should affect both sides. Change from "set to 1" to gradual damage is good. But one sided weather is not.
I'm playing deck with 15 weather cards now and the deck is quite solid. I'm not hurting my units and you have only two options - react to weather, or react to my units and watch your units melt in weather. And even if you have 3 First lights and unit clearing weather, are you really keeping all of them in your hand? Because even if you do, I still have another 12 weather cards ready. Just the fact that this deck is playable shows how broken weather is.

Keep gradual damage, affect both sides and perhaps make the weather tied to specific row like it used to be in CBT (frost for meele row only, fog for ranged, ...) - this is what I want to see.

There is no deck with 100% win rate which means weather is beatable, and iam preety sure that those decks that beat weather decks arent weather decks.... =D

Is weather strong? yes it is but its on the same power lvl as other minion heavy decks! its not problem with weather but problem with one's strategy.
Most people played games like Heartsone where is 0 control strategies aveliveble its pure power play+ shiet ton of rng. In gwent there is power and controll aspects and they are on the same level. People seem to be very upset about it but for me its what meakes Gwent worth playing. when gwent turns in to Power/rng play i quit thats for sure.

ChlopiecZZapalkami;n8742890 said:
There is no deck with 100% win rate which means weather is beatable, and iam preety sure that those decks that beat weather decks arent weather decks.... =D

Is weather strong? yes it is but its on the same power lvl as other minion heavy decks! its not problem with weather but problem with one's strategy.
Most people played games like Heartsone where is 0 control strategies aveliveble its pure power play+ shiet ton of rng. In gwent there is power and controll aspects and they are on the same level. People seem to be very upset about it but for me its what meakes Gwent worth playing. when gwent turns in to Power/rng play i quit thats for sure.

I'm not saying it's not beatable. I got about 75% winrate with this deck though. About 20-30 games so far so it's still a very small sample I admit, and I'm still at rank 7 only.
So no, it's not 100% win rate, but from the 25 cards, 15 cards are weather. Sorry but this is just stupid. There is very little strategy involved, I often just play frost over frost just because I need to prolong the game so that his units can die already.

Anyway, what I meant to say, I wouldnt be able to do that if the weather affected both sides. Right now it's just spam whatever you want, you are still safe.
Weather is effectively a Lacerate with damage over time effect.

Last edited:
Weather is much worse as it was at CB. Now, ST's weather deck is MUCH better than monster's deck - this is just stupid and illogical.

I agree, old weather worked in Gwent as a singleplayer game in the Witcher 3, but the new DoT weather is much more interactive. The only problem I have with weather is that in Monsters, both Frost and Fog have their achetypes, but there isn't any archetype (even outside of Monsters) that supports Rain, which is, arguably, the worst Bronze weather card at the moment.

Top Bottom