I found a way to fix broken Achievements for the GOG version of the Game!

+
I found a way to fix broken Achievements for the GOG version of the Game!

Hey,

first of all I already posted this on reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/witcher/comments/3kizsj/possible_fix_for_goggalaxy_achievement_problems/

Second a short summary: There is a SQLite Database under "C:\<username>\mathi\AppData\Local\GalaxyCommunicationService\46987792513588502\47746531845925190" (The numbers may be different).

This Database contains every Achievement and it's unlock timestamp. Strangely many Achievements I never could have unlocked (like get all Gwint Cards) and also Achievements I tried to unlock, but didn't pop (Fearless Vampire Slayer, All In, Bookworm) had an unlock timestamp. But even though they had an unlock timestamp they were not shown as unlocked in the GOG Galaxy Launcher.
Interestingly some Achievements I did unlock had no timestamp in the database.

So I deleted the File (gameplay.db) and started the game. Instantly a new file is generated and it just contained timestamps for achievements I really unlocked. I instantly tried to get "Fearless Vampire Slayer" and it worked.
I closed the game, restarted it gain and tried to unlock "All In" and it didn't work. I again looked at the gameplay.db Database and again it had all the false timestamps like before.

I deleted the file again, started witcher and voila I now was able to unlock the "All In" and the "Bookworm" achievement.

So it seems like you have to delete the gameplay.db file every time before you start the game to fix some of the achievement related bugs.

Now GOG galaxy shows me 5 new achievements of the expansion, but an user from reddit found on a config file that there will be 25 new achievements... something is broken again? lol

EDIT: oh I think that the other 20 achievements are secret ones...

Last edited:
Now GOG galaxy shows me 5 new achievements of the expansion, but an user from reddit found on a config file that there will be 25 new achievements... something is broken again? lol

Hm strange I don't see any achievements from the expansion in GOG, but I see them in the database. You could just quickly look into your database file and check if every entry is in there:
I see 13 new achievements in my db http://i.imgur.com/VoGBLSm.png

Ah no you are actually right . Do you see the number 1 and 0 in the column number 5 of my screenshot?
This sets if the achievement is visible if it is still locked, or if it is a "secret achievement".

I guess 25 sounds a bit much for this expansion. But if it is actually just 13 you and I should be fine.

Edit:

Btw did my fix actually work for you?

Last edited:
Hm strange I don't see any achievements from the expansion in GOG, but I see them in the database. You could just quickly look into your database file and check if every entry is in there:
I see 13 new achievements in my db http://i.imgur.com/VoGBLSm.png

Ah no you are actually right . Do you see the number 1 and 0 in the column number 5 of my screenshot?
This sets if the achievement is visible if it is still locked, or if it is a "secret achievement".

I guess 25 sounds a bit much for this expansion. But if it is actually just 13 you and I should be fine.

Edit:

Btw did my fix actually work for you?

Yes, the fix worked GREAT, thank you!

There are other file that a reddit user posted with 25 new achievements (WARNING SPOILERS):

https://www.reddit.com/r/witcher/comments/3k54me/possible_expansion_spoilers_new_achievments/

Probably from the two expansions...

Yes, that achievements with number 1 are the ones that appear on the witcher tab of GOG Galaxy.

Attachments

• fck3d2.jpg
    fck3d2.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 768
Last edited:
With this fix, achievement " Fiend or Foe?" doesn't work :\

Edit: ok worked :)

Last edited:
Thank you very much for sharing this fix with us, MoralApostel! I will give it a try myself and see if it fixes my broken achievements (e.g. "Fearless Vampire Slayer", "Fiend or Foe?", "All In", etc.) as well later this evening. :D

If everything goes well I will definitely have it included in the compendium of tweaks and fixes as soon as possible! ;)

Last edited:
Thank you! Successfully unlocked All In and some other non-quest related achies. It's not retroactive, but it's much better than expected, as for example the bookworm achi you don't need to start from zero, just read one more and voila. Some for all "numbered" achievements, for example for the enemy on fire+bomb achi I only needed to do it once too.

Anyways, big props to you.

ps: Do you know what corrupts the file? Cause I have been checking it, exiting the game after each and every achievement, but it didn't get corrupted.

ps: Do you know what corrupts the file? Cause I have been checking it, exiting the game after each and every achievement, but it didn't get corrupted.

Did you not need to delete it every time before you start the game? Or what do you mean with corrupt? Like in damaged/unreadable file or in the sense of wrong database entries?

I meant after I deleted the file, I unlocked All In. Then quit the game, checked the file with sqlitebrowser, everything was in order, no corrupted entries, no funny dates, no nothing. Then without deleting the file I unlocked 3 more achievements, quitting the game and checking the database entries after each. After the inital reset of the file, there was no need for anything else.

Ah okay apparently you don't always have to delete the file. Maybe it has also something to do with restarting GOG?
At least one should be cautious and check if everything is alright .

Yeah, thought about it too, so I restarted gog after each achievement, trying to figure it out, if it is the reason of entry corruption. But apparently it's not this simple. Anyways, just to be sure, I rename the file to a backup before every session from now on, so no need to delete/move. Great find, thanks again.

Last edited:
Thank you very much for sharing this fix with us, MoralApostel! I will give it a try myself and see if it fixes my broken achievements (e.g. "Fearless Vampire Slayer", "Fiend or Foe?", "All In", etc.) as well later this evening. :D

So did everything work for you?

You, sir, deserve a cookie. :) I was able to unlock all of the achievements that I could not before. Thank You. :)

So did everything work for you?

After deleting the file and starting the game I was able to unlock the "Mutant" achievement that didn't pop before when I slotted in four mutagens, but neither of the achievements that I should have been awarded before, such as "Fearless Vampire Slayer" or "Fiend or Foe?", unlocked retroactively. :no

Does this mean that there is no retroactive achievement fix after all? I am still very appreciative for having this fix, but I am really sad about those achievements just lying there locked in my list when they should have unlocked a while ago. :(

Last edited:
@MoralApostel
Thanks, I followed your advice and got retroactively the "Kill Eredin" achievement, not sure if I got Munchkin as well in that way, because I loaded a savegame where I was 12 XP left to level 35... just to be sure I got it lol.

such as "Fearless Vampire Slayer" or "Fiend or Foe?", unlocked retroactively. :no

I did not write it here, but in the reddit post. This fix does not unlock achievements, that should have been unlocked already. It just makes it possible again to unlock achievements. For those two you mention you would need a savegame before completing the quest.

Lucky for you I have a save right before "Fearless Vampire Slayer".

Here you go http://we.tl/6bWWxGFEbb

I did not write it here, but in the reddit post. This fix does not unlock achievements, that should have been unlocked already. It just makes it possible again to unlock achievements. For those two you mention you would need a savegame before completing the quest.

I understand that now, thanks! Thank you very much for the save game as well, but I'm not going to make use of it. It's CDPR fault for breaking the achievement systems, they should be the ones fixing it so that they can be retroactively awarded as well. :p

Top Bottom