I have been using Scio'tael exlusively since i started playing

+
I have been using Scio'tael exlusively since i started playing

I've enjoyed playing them, particular when i thrash SK and Monsters.

I got to lvl 11 ranked play the other day with a highly synergized elf/scorch deck and occasional dwarves deck.

Does anyone here consistently climb the ranked lader using ST only? If so, what deck do you use, i'm stuggling to get to 12 now.

Also what do people think of ST in general? What do you think is there strongest deck/strat?

Hi. In general the faction is not that great atm. But don't thee fret. A few days ago in the stream the devs said that ST are going to get some love in the next patch (thou dont know whether they;re meant a hotfix or a next proper patch).

As far as i know the only viable high ranked (3k+) deck is spellatael. The Swim's latest variation is pretty interesting. You can check it OUT

P.S. Love spellatael decks. So Fun. So Interactive.

I ended up playing with them more because when you play for free it take a while to unlock cards, so ended up having more of them and just continued that way.
So I mainly use them to go up the ranks, but I just want the rewards, I like to play casually. (which works out so-so)

I make my own decks, I find it's the fun of a game, don't use the pre-made stuff from the net. It's got it's advantages and disadvantages.
Not really a strategy, but I do like to make this move;

From closed beta i am playing ST, sometimes its very frustrating to play only against SK. I have two ST decks now. One is classic dwarf boost with pictured combo showen above :) and second is elven ambush with Blue Stripes Commando and Sheldon Skaggs :) Its pretty fun to play with it. Looking forward to new hotfix......

PS: Rank 12 now :)

Yes, I've played ST almost exclusively for OB. I'm in the gutter rank wise though :). Granted, I never played spell cancer for reasons I won't go into. I swapped to a movement/mulligan/ambush build about a week ago. Before that it was Dwarves. I simply got tired of dodging counters every other card.... Most of the hybrid mulligan builds can be challenging to play well and punishing if you make any misplays, so... yeah. My biggest gripe is constantly working around the mulligan mechanics....

In general I think ST needs significant work. Even the viable builds feel like putting a square peg in a round hole at times. The only exception is Spelltael. But that deck shouldn't be a thing IMO.

I don't know about anyone else but... I am getting absolutely, pissed, off with playing NG decks at my current rank. The last two hours. NOTHING but NG decks.

I've been seeing a great deal of Dagon, SK Axe or Crach decks and a NR/NG every so often. Which is fine since MS isn't a bad matchup for my deck and most SK Axe decks I keep seeing inexplicably run the Operator build, which is bad IMO, or Kambi with Axes, which is also bad IMO. Haven't seen ST Spells lately.... Granted, last time I saw one I was sitting in R3 with Scorch, Mardroeme and Regis in hand, after Renewing Schirru :).

I run a pure Dwarf deck with some specific tech cards to counter current meta - Ithlinne + Mardroeme destroys all three decks I mostly see: axemen skellige, ekimara monsters and spellatel, plus Gigni takes care of whatever is left, while you boost and move around all dwarves and get insane numbers. I struggle the most against weather since this deck doesnt run any Clear Skies, but next patch will fix this.

Currently Rank 14 around ~2600 MMR and climbing steadily.

Gwent Erebor Deck.jpg

The problem i had with Dwarves was everyone seems to run counter cards for other decks able to counter dwarves and prevent any carry-over. The limitations of dwarves also leaves very little room for control, and thinning ability to an extent. It just didn't feel very flexible. Playing around all the locks, removals, resets and cards like Succubus got to be a headache. In addition to that, various decks for other factions can out tempo it. It can certainly work though.

I'm finding with mulligan hybrid builds you can really dictate the opponent card plays, shut down the crux of their deck, put them in bad positions and readily gain CA. Being more control oriented is far more enjoyable to me as well, for whatever reason.

Restlessdingo32;n9073250 said:
The problem i had with Dwarves was everyone seems to run counter cards for other decks able to counter dwarves and prevent any carry-over. The limitations of dwarves also leaves very little room for control, and thinning ability to an extent. It just didn't feel very flexible. Playing around all the locks, removals, resets and cards like Succubus got to be a headache. In addition to that, various decks for other factions can out tempo it. It can certainly work though.

I'm finding with mulligan hybrid builds you can really dictate the opponent card plays, shut down the crux of their deck, put them in bad positions and readily gain CA. Being more control oriented is far more enjoyable to me as well, for whatever reason.

Funny, I tried a hybrid dwarf-mulligan deck, then a dwarf-elf deck, pretty much every hybrid deck I could come up with that looked good on paper, but none of them performed better than this deck I'm using now. Plus, I find it very fun to play :p

Any updates post hotfix? Trying to decide what to run.... Built a Brouver control deck similar to old school CB control and been having some success with it since weather spam went poof. Just wondering what everyone else is experiencing.

Well i got 12 and i'm on my way to 13 with my Scorch Elves, with a healthy hand they are unstoppable both first and last round, but i guess that's how everyone feels about their fav deck.

Regarding the hotfix, the firebomb nerf is an absaloute travesty, considering it was rare the other player woulden't have a counter, now if they don't, its just 2 damage to all on the row and it dosen't ignore armour, absurd, it was such a satisfying and exotic card to use, especially considering the 2 in my deck are transmuted and look so trill.

Also the weather nerf has handicapped Ida's synergy with my deck big time because i always used her in conjuction with my damage dealing units to trim units on rows down so there all the same strength for maximum effect, now Fog is total garbo, it was the only weather card i used too.

Oh and Vill, he was like the daddy of my deck, my ace in the hole and now........now he's finished. His strength raising to 8 is very nice but, it's nothing compared to the tactical power of double scorch, especially coupled with my low strength trimming units like Myrgtbrakke and DB archers. He has lost his intimidating presence on the board that's for sure. Nothing worse then a nerfed dragon.

Since Vill got hit i have been trying a Hybrid resilence focused deck, plenty of defenders, immune boosts, adreneline boosts and boosting units. The deck still needs work though.

How has everyone found the hotfix?

I've been putting back a deck like what I used in CB, with elven mercs and dwarves. Now it's working again. I lack deck thinning, though, because there are no good units to draw with clear skies and it's better to put more specials in the deck. For me, now ST starts being playable again.

SHALLAHJUSTICE;n9057070 said:
Does anyone here consistently climb the ranked lader using ST only? If so, what deck do you use, i'm stuggling to get to 12 now.
I got to rank 13 with a Eithne control deck based around scorch and DB Protectors. Haven't played much since the patch (I've been playing a lot of Horizon: Zero Dawn in my free time) dropped though so it will need tweaks.

Eithne
Vill; Yen: the Conjurer; Schirru; Ciri
Yaevinn; The White Frost; Nature's Gift; Ida Emean; The Last Wish; Scorch
First Light x 3; Azur's Thunder x 2; DShackles x 2; Lacerate x 1; DB Protectors x 3; Hawker Support x 2; DB Trappers x 2.

When I get back to it, I'll probably drop either Vill or Yen for Gigni. May ditch White Frost for something else (not sure yet). Also add 2 x Eleven Mercs for - 1 Trapper and -1 FL. Will likely ditch the other trapper for something else too (maybe another merc). We'll see how it goes.

LDiCesare;n9093610 said:
I've been putting back a deck like what I used in CB, with elven mercs and dwarves. Now it's working again. I lack deck thinning, though, because there are no good units to draw with clear skies and it's better to put more specials in the deck. For me, now ST starts being playable again.

Sounds like the same issue I ran into. ST lacks strong bronze cards, so Mercs only seem to work well in buff decks (Tbolt, Iboost, etc.). The only other viable thin cards are Wardancers, BMC, Brouver, and a few silvers/golds. Many of these only fit in certain very specific builds (Isengrim, Aelrinn, Barclay, to name a few). Outside of that neutrals are the only option, and those are also often inflexible.

I ended up swapping to Dwarf Cancer because hard control either has a difficult time thinning or can't hold up to enough of the decks out there. It does completely destroy Consume though :).

Top Bottom