I hope Kaer Morhen gets a little love post the exp packs

+
I hope Kaer Morhen gets a little love post the exp packs

One thing I hated in wild hunt was such late access to the witcher home, and then once the main campaign is complete Kaer Morhen is just so empty. I hope that post B&W (or during) there is some added content that allows you to operate there. Be it that Yen is able to set up her lab there. Cirri may come by for the odd quest with Gerald (similar to the "something ends, something begins" quest), lambert may return with Keira and so on. Would also like afew more get togethers with the witcher boys like the quest "no place like home" or some sort celebration (similar to HOS wedding scenario)

Obviously we don't want to turn in into something like Dandelions tavern where all and sundry can go, but maybe somewhere Gerald and company could go for winter like Vesimir alluded to during the Griffin Hunt in while in white Orchard.

dunno what you guys think.

Did you miss the whole bit in game where Eskel and Lambert (the only other two Wolf school witchers) choose to leave, permanently?

Kiera still being there (in earlier versions not checked since 1.10) seems to be a bug, though I would expect Letho to be present if he was at KM during the battle.

KM is finished as the school of the Wolf's home, and the School of the Wolf is almost completely expended.

Did you miss the whole bit in game where Eskel and Lambert (the only other two Wolf school witchers) choose to leave, permanently?

Kiera still being there (in earlier versions not checked since 1.10) seems to be a bug, though I would expect Letho to be present if he was at KM during the battle.

KM is finished as the school of the Wolf's home, and the School of the Wolf is almost completely expended.

Well, if Yen was the romance choice then KM stays pretty much open... would be fun to at least have Eskel and/or Letho there from time to time, when they aren't out. Would be a relatively simple thing to implement, I'd wager, just make them show up randomly around the place when Geralt fast-travels to KM.

This basically. Although Eskel or Letho can eventually return and take over Vesimir's old role a caretaker. But the time of Witchers is over, all the Schools appear to be defunct, and nobody's training any new Witchers. Ciri may be the only possible exception, but even then the Witcher's decline is inevitable at this point.

I agree on post-game content but in-game content, i.e. Act 2, it's a singularly boring place with very little to actually do there between quests. Character wise, Triss needs to be there and the game needs to allow for some quality time with her or Yen. For one, it would be a very good place to force the player to choose between Triss and Yen had the player inadvertently romanced both characters, rather than the clumsy (if amusing) threesome scene. Nonetheless, short of an Enhanced Edition, I can't see any changes happening to it because the next expansion isn't even in the Velen/Novigrad area.

For one, it would be a very good place to force the player to choose between Triss and Yen had the player inadvertently romanced both characters, rather than the clumsy (if amusing) threesome scene.

Such a bad gameflaw, some people are playing dozens of hours not knowingly how it will end for them, because they did a mistake (or two) 50+ hours ago..

The biggest problem with Kaer Morhen storywise is that nobody can afford to keep it in a good condition and apparently they don't want to see it anymore. It's a huge castle for only 2-4 people and most of the time nobody was even living there, if at all only Vesemir was there most of the time.
It and the surrounding buildings were built for probably more than 20-50 people, if not even much more. Just remind yourself how many people are there, when you prepare for the battle and it still looked like they could afford easily twice as many people, because there is so much room.

The only reason the last wolf witchers came back to it was to reunite with the other witchers every winter. But after Vesemir's death, well, they probably don't want to come back to it anymore, too many bad memories. Someone like Lambert even hated the place anyway and just came back, because there was no other place to spend the winter. It's not like a witcher could afford to live at a tavern for 3-4 months.

Also if you have played the quests surrounding Kaer Morhen, you have seen that it wasn't really a nice place to grow up, sure, you could change it in a new better place, but without more hands (or magic), not gonna happen.

They also won't reopen the school, at least not in the original sense. Neither does any of them know how to create witchers nor does anyone want that anymore.

Unless, I don't know, Geralt and Yennefer make it their new home after something like "Something ends, something begins" happened, it will be a ruin like many soon, if it isn't one already.

Such a bad gameflaw, some people are playing dozens of hours not knowingly how it will end for them, because they did a mistake (or two) 50+ hours ago..

The biggest problem with Kaer Morhen storywise is that nobody can afford to keep it in a good condition and apparently they don't want to see it anymore. It's a huge castle for only 2-4 people and most of the time nobody was even living there, if at all only Vesemir was there most of the time.
It and the surrounding buildings were built for probably more than 20-50 people, if not even much more. Just remind yourself how many people are there, when you prepare for the battle and it still looked like they could afford easily twice as many people, because there is so much room.

The only reason the last wolf witchers came back to it was to reunite with the other witchers every winter. But after Vesemir's death, well, they probably don't want to come back to it anymore, too many bad memories. Someone like Lambert even hated the place anyway and just came back, because there was no other place to spend the winter. It's not like a witcher could afford to live at a tavern for 3-4 months.

Also if you have played the quests surrounding Kaer Morhen, you have seen that it wasn't really a nice place to grow up, sure, you could change it in a new better place, but without more hands (or magic), not gonna happen.

They also won't reopen the school, at least not in the original sense. Neither does any of them know how to create witchers nor does anyone want that anymore.

Unless, I don't know, Geralt and Yennefer make it their new home after something like "Something ends, something begins" happened, it will be a ruin like many soon, if it isn't one already.

No one is expecting a palace, we simply think there needs to be more to do. For example, for those of us who have never read the books, it was a missed opportunity for us to explore the Keep and uncover its history as exists within the established lore through a quest and/or cut scenes showing events from the past. Not just the Keep either, the surrounding area. It would have provided the player with something to do whilst providing a better experience than reading through a bland Glossary.

I dare say that the overwhelming majority of players of this game have never read a single one of the books yet there are references to events in them throughout it. Specific to Kaer Morhen, I have no idea why they don't want to make more Witchers, so there was a chance to tell that story through quest related material. Wrap the story of Kaer Morhen's history up in the environment allowing the player to uncover it through exploration. It encourages the player to explore and not simply rush through what is a rather short act in comparison to the others. It's just better game design.

Last edited:
No one is expecting a palace, we simply think there needs to be more to do. For example, for those of us who have never read the books, it was a missed opportunity for us to explore the Keep and uncover its history as exists within the established lore through a quest and/or cut scenes showing events from the past. Not just the Keep either, the surrounding area. It would have provided the player with something to do whilst providing a better experience than reading through a bland Glossary.

I dare say that the overwhelming majority of players of this game have never read a single one of the books yet there are references to events in them throughout it. Specific to Kaer Morhen, I have no idea why they don't want to make more Witchers, so there was a chance to tell that story through quest related material. Wrap the story of Kaer Morhen's history up in the environment allowing the player to uncover it through exploration. It encourages the player to explore and not simply rush through what is a rather short act in comparison to the others. It's just better game design.

Me too, but that's exactly the problem. As weird as it sounds, we have seen more of Kaer Morhen and its history in the games than in the books, much more.

I would assume 95% of what you have seen in the games (TW1 and 3) concerning Kaer Morhen, isn't really covered by the books, for example I can't remember having such detailed information about the paintings on the huge walls and I am also pretty sure that the books never mentioned a whole lake near it. I can't even remember that the books even described the castle in much detail, so even it's design is made up by CDPR.

We also have a quest, where we can see ghosts in the other buildings, telling us the story how the young witchers were trained and being attacked (with that latern you got by Keira). Quest is called Greenhouse Effect.

I have no idea why they don't want to make more Witchers, so there was a chance to tell that story through quest related material.

Didn't the game cover that already? There is noone anymore, who could do that, especially after what happened in Witcher 1, and Vesemir himself even mentions that "he thought he wouldn't use that cage again" and from the reaction of the other witchers, when Yennefer mentions to undertake Uma the first half of the Trial of Grasses, Lambert is furious and Eskel is quite surprised.

Also Geralt, Lambert and Eskel are simple witchers, Vesemir is the only actually trainer and he was responsible for sword fighting and probably monster knowledge.

When I first came back to Kaer Morhen, it was kinda a great experience, however for those witchers, these ruins are connected to not so good memories, as we have learnt by Lambert during a quest. In the game the sun is always shining and it's always great weather, making Kaer Morhen look like a paradise, but for those boys and later witchers, this place was hell and for many a grave.

Last edited:
Posted this in the Blood and Wine thread, but yeah, I'm hoping BaW includes more than one playable region. After spending majority of the expansion in Toussaint, maybe a final epic battle with the main villain at Kaer Morhen. Since this will be Geralt's last ever story, CDPR is gonna have to make the final fight extra epic

I'd rather play a new adventure based at KM (expansion-like) rather than seeing small content update for the after-game, I feel the after-game was rushed and is only there to please the high demand, but in the end serves very little purpose, I think outside of a few characters's apparition for the sake of not being completely empty, CDPR should not focus on adding things post-game but rather focus entirely on new adventures. :)

The only thing i wish was added/done with Kaer Morhen, is maybe being able to hang our Monster Trophies around and/or display our collected armors, swords, etc.

How many map markers are in KM?

Two, I think. One outside Kaer Morhen, the other North West near the ruins. Until HoS came out, I hadn't played the game since 1.07 came out so I can't remember. It's a relatively small map compared to others, probably on par with White Orchard but its meant to be largely uninhabited so it makes sense to be so few. From what I can remember, outside of the main quest, there is only two side quests and one was introduced with DLC.

It's bigger than you think.
They may not be huge, but there's six optional side-quests in the Kaer Morhen area from the base game, plus one from the DLC.
Bastion, Berengar's Blade, Greenhouse Effect, Monster Slayer, Trail of Echoes and The Witchers' Forge
And there's a lot more than two map markers. There's six fast travel points for a start.

Top Bottom