I hope you can get robbed, kidnapped, and injured as part of gameplay.

+
"Night City voted worst city in america, sky high rate of violence and more people living below the poverty line than anywhere else. . . but everyone still wants to live here."

Overcrowded and voilent, danger lurks every corner. You cannot tell friend from foe, everyone has their own secret agenda, a living and breathing world. What CDPR should do is take full advantage of its lore. Create dynamic gameplay that will, be spontaneous and impactful.

One gripe i had with witcher 3 was how the game became easy mode after lv 15 or so. I no longer felt like i was this bounty hunter, i felt like i was superman saving the world. I went from slaying Drowners to killing the devil with a riddle, to slaying inter-dimensional armored wraiths, to killing ancient vampires. I no longer felt grounded in the world.

I hope CDPR doesn't repeat the same mistake twice. In this game you are a mortal character living in a lions den. Everyone is out to screw everyone over for their own selfish dreams. From corporations maintaining complete control, to drug lords poisoning the youth, to gangs securing turfs, etc. Now i propose 3 dynamic events that would influence your story randomly without you having control. Life is like a box of chocolates you never know what you're going to get.

> Getting Robbed:
Enjoying yourself in Heywood, just got done with a few missions and decided you needed some sight seeing. Got some extra money on you, maybe do some clothe shopping or go a little off the radar and get some new implants. Busy streets, hundreds of people walking around you'd like to think everyone is a upstanding citizen but this is Night City. A thief comes behind you steals some credit chips off your back pocket, you have 2 options but time is not on your side.

Choice 1: You count your losses as you cannot see him as he blends in with the masses. You don't get the authorities involved, nobody gets wasted, nobody gets hurt.

Choice 2: You chase him, cause a scene as you try to run past 100 pedestrians trying to go about their routine. You injure some bystanders along the way, cause traffic jams even some car accidents as they try not run you over, cops are alerted and put you as a threat to peace. You finally catch up to him in a dead end street. You can let him go and maybe gain some street cred, or you can kill him and be a fugitive while having negative cred towards a faction.

>Getting Kidnapped:
You heard from someone there's a few jobs down in Pacifica. You are well geared and got some new implants to play with. You're not worried at all, what could happen? You get ambushed seems you pissed off the wrong people through a sidequest you thought was no big deal. You get sedated next thing you wake up in a bathtub butt naked, disoriented, and a few attachments missing.

Choice 1: Move on and go get some replacements. You are doing well, you got enough income.

Choice 2: The thugs leave info behind and after some data breaching you find their hideout. You go armed to the teeth, guns blazing, everyone's dead, you get your implants and gain access to a hidden stash. You get the last laugh.

> Getting Injured:
Say you're free roaming the city at night while not in a quest. Along your walk you realize you headed down an unknown street, You never explored this area and have no acquaintances here. Shady people walking all over, people staring. All of a sudden 3 gang members walk up and instigate you.

Choice 1: RUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Choice 2: You try to talk it out but your cool level is a 5 and you need a 10 to play it smooth. You put up a worthy fight but loose. You leave with your life but you now have a sprained knee and a fractured arm. You can walk but you cannot run at full speed, you can aim but your precision is not 100% there. You can cry about how the game is too hard or you can run a few errands to get money, gear up, take some boxing classes learn new moves(GTA San Andreas style) and be better prepared next time. All while keeping your mortality on check. You are not a superhero, you're trying to survive.

It'd be really cool to have these rare dynamic moments to keep yourself grounded and not get into the superhero mentality.

1) Why would killing a thief affect my street cred negatively? Night City is a violent place. Shit happens. Nobody's gonna miss some thief. Especially not the cops.

2) Kidnap events are super easy for a dev to fuck up. Far Cry 5 is proof of that. It should be story related, and it shouldn't involve sedation. That's just a shitty way to move the scene from one point to the next.

3) We play as a mercenary. We'll get injured in the combat missions that we do. It doesnt need a special event.

Your choices need work, as well. It shouldnt be:

Choice A - Inaction
Choice B - Action

It should be a choice between several actions (in video games, running away or letting the NPC get away are considered inactions.)

Its an interesting idea, but the concepts need work.

Night City is a dangerous place full of dangerous people like V who will get more dangerous as the game goes on . RD had people rob you a lot but you just shoot them with out a second thought.

The getting robbed idea would be good if when you run them down you talk to them and they turn out to be a companion or lover option .

It'd be cool if V gets kidnapped at some point and tortured :unsure: MGS style! Maybe your current companion or LI rescues you. I could see that happening!

Here's my vision:

1.) I'm walking down the street, minding my own business (of course). I get mugged. I fight the guys off, but don't kill them.

2.) One guy surrenders, begs me not to kill him, etc. I agree, but tell him, "Fine. You keep your skin. But, you owe me. Get the @#$%! outta here."

3.) Some time later, in the same area, I get into a mission-related combat scenario or something. I start taking hits. Things aren't looking so good.

4.) My enemies taking fire from the flanks. I'm able to use the help / distraction to win the fight.

5.) The mugger from before and his chumbas come running up, and he says, "Saved your ass! So, we good? We square now, V?"

6.) I have the option to say, "Yeah. We're square. In fact, gimme your number. Maybe we can do business."

Here's my vision:

1.) I'm walking down the street, minding my own business (of course). I get mugged. I fight the guys off, but don't kill them.

2.) One guy surrenders, begs me not to kill him, etc. I agree, but tell him, "Fine. You keep your skin. But, you owe me. Get the @#$%! outta here."

3.) Some time later, in the same area, I get into a mission-related combat scenario or something. I start taking hits. Things aren't looking so good.

4.) My enemies taking fire from the flanks. I'm able to use the help / distraction to win the fight.

5.) The mugger from before and his chumbas come running up, and he says, "Saved your ass! So, we good? We square now, V?"

6.) I have the option to say, "Yeah. We're square. In fact, gimme your number. Maybe we can do business."

Honestly doesnt make much sense to me. Why would a mugger come back to help you, in a situation that could veey much end in his death?

From what I've gathered about this world, is people take any advantage they can get, and leave a trail of empty promises in their wake.

It would make more sense that, if you spared the guys life, he says he'll help you, and then just never does.

Honestly doesnt make much sense to me. Why would a mugger come back to help you, in a situation that could veey much end in his death?

Street cred? Scared out of his gourd and doesn't want the tough-as-nails merc he tried to jump on his bad side? Maybe he thinks he has something to gain from it?

Doesn't have to go that way, either. Could be that I need a certain level of street cred in that area to get that resolution. Say I kill a couple of his buddies during the fight; that might mean he shows up later to team up against me. Maybe, I never get into combat in that area; I could find him later on and shake him down for some money or info.

My main point is that it can be more than:
1.) Get mugged.
2.) Kill junk mobs.
3.) Loot corpses.

From what I've gathered about this world, is people take any advantage they can get, and leave a trail of empty promises in their wake.

It would make more sense that, if you spared the guys life, he says he'll help you, and then just never does.

Not everyone is out for themselves or V would have no friends, we don`t know how V meet Jackie or T Bug .

Not everyone is out for themselves or V would have no friends, we don`t know how V meet Jackie or T Bug .

Also a very good point. Honestly, I would expect there won't be a lot of "random encounters". I'm expecting more of the the little narratives we got throughout TW3, perhaps even more intertwined with the main plot(s). Handling encounters like this procedurally, ala Bethesda or GTA, would seem like a step backwards, IMO.

Plz no random robbers, if they are 100% random and can happen any time, they can end up boring really fast, best example for that are random robbers in Skyrim.

Being Kidnapped usually requires a lot of lazy writing on the writers behalf. A PC in any game can only be kidnapped during a cutscene, where they can't do shit. and usually it's bad. Far Cry 3 bad. You lay waste to hundreds upon hundreds of foes, swallow tonnes of lead from enemy fire. nd than just got sucker punched by the bad guy. That's the only doable option. And that's shitty one. As all similar scenes in cRPGs. remember all the situations in BG2 where your band of demi gods were kidnapped, just like that, and put in a prison or something. With all their belongings, including godlike armor and weapons on them.
Kidnapping attempts, yes. But as action scenes. Kill the fuckers, if you "die" they kidnap you. You can reload or go with the flow and continue the new quest: "In captiVity"

It'd be really cool to have these rare dynamic moments to keep yourself grounded and not get into the superhero mentality.

You said it yourself, we dont know what path they took with this game, or do we?? Is the main character normal world saver hero. But yeah it would be sometimes fun to have stuff like a debt or loan, if you dont pay, thugs comes to hunt you down etc. Also this kind of stuff belongs to sandboxes, Ive a feeling this game is more like linear story kind of game, ala Mass Effect but with more to explore and maybe more freedom to do things as you want. I could be totally wrong, I havent read much about this game to be honest.

Looks like they have revealed the story a bit: https://gamerant.com/cyberpunk-2077-story-details-e3-2018/

Yeah. We are supposed to be a hired gun on the rise in Night City. That should mean being robbed and kipnapping is likely.

Last edited:

What kind of muggers have you been running into, SigilFey? They sound like a fun bunch.

Getting robbed: It's odd to have a procedural/random mugger to come rob you. It could become annoying, quickly. It would be cool if a guy robs you of a special package that you needed for a fixer which could develop into a more intricate side quest.

Getting kidnapped: Again, could be annoying. If it was written more like a mechanic to a sidequest instead of a random encounter, it could be interesting. Being kidnapped by a gang hired by a competing fixer busy on the same job maybe? Dunno. Needs some thought.

Getting injured: It wouldn't make sense to suddenly become injured in a scene as opposed to getting shot at in a number of different instances and walk away without a scratch.

TLDR; good ideas but instead of having these humbling interactions randomly generated in the world, it would be cool if it was written into the story.

Getting robbed: It's odd to have a procedural/random mugger to come rob you. It could become annoying, quickly. It would be cool if a guy robs you of a special package that you needed for a fixer which could develop into a more intricate side quest.

Getting kidnapped: Again, could be annoying. If it was written more like a mechanic to a sidequest instead of a random encounter, it could be interesting. Being kidnapped by a gang hired by a competing fixer busy on the same job maybe? Dunno. Needs some thought.

Getting injured: It wouldn't make sense to suddenly become injured in a scene as opposed to getting shot at in a number of different instances and walk away without a scratch.

TLDR; good ideas but instead of having these humbling interactions randomly generated in the world, it would be cool if it was written into the story.

That's the most meaningful implication. As well as having any instance where the player is victimized by a crime be both a branching narrative and an impact on future events.

Plus, these events need not be "universal". They could be branches of branches in the narrative. e.g. If the main quest gives me options 1, 2, or 3, I need to choose 3. Then, between 3a, 3b, or 3c, I need to choose 3b. Only that chain will result in me "getting mugged" later on. Rhyme and reason that affects my choices, then the game will branch back to choices 4, 5, and 6. So it's not like the narrative needs to track all the way to the endgame -- it only needs to get back to the main quest in a sensible, meaningful way.

I like all of these scenarios, just not as recurring events. I think it'd be awesome to have a set NPC out there who kidnaps the player. Just some demented, maybe overly cyber'd out freak who snatches you up for parts when you get a certain amount of enhancements. He'll say he's been watching you gear up, and you have to either escape or kill the guy for a nice haul. It'd play out as an isolated surprise quest. But if I can't walk five blocks in the middle of the night without getting robbed or put in a trunk, it'll eventually go from "wow this world is so alive" to annoying.

I'd compare it to the difference between the Dark Brotherhood reaching out to the player in Skyrim after a certain murder vs. Preston Garvey's "Another settlement needs your help." One's fun, and the other probably sounded better in a pitch meeting.

sounds interesting...
but I could see it getting old as well...
tho the thought of getting captured mugged robbed or worse (probably not worse as you'd need a different rating)
but having been stripped of your weapons and having to think your way out.. (you get your weapons back in the end) and your revenge probably...hmmm..
lots to think about...
:)

"Night City voted worst city in america, sky high rate of violence and more people living below the poverty line than anywhere else. . . but everyone still wants to live here."

Overcrowded and voilent, danger lurks every corner. You cannot tell friend from foe, everyone has their own secret agenda, a living and breathing world. What CDPR should do is take full advantage of its lore. Create dynamic gameplay that will, be spontaneous and impactful.

One gripe i had with witcher 3 was how the game became easy mode after lv 15 or so. I no longer felt like i was this bounty hunter, i felt like i was superman saving the world. I went from slaying Drowners to killing the devil with a riddle, to slaying inter-dimensional armored wraiths, to killing ancient vampires. I no longer felt grounded in the world.

I hope CDPR doesn't repeat the same mistake twice. In this game you are a mortal character living in a lions den. Everyone is out to screw everyone over for their own selfish dreams. From corporations maintaining complete control, to drug lords poisoning the youth, to gangs securing turfs, etc. Now i propose 3 dynamic events that would influence your story randomly without you having control. Life is like a box of chocolates you never know what you're going to get.

> Getting Robbed:
Enjoying yourself in Heywood, just got done with a few missions and decided you needed some sight seeing. Got some extra money on you, maybe do some clothe shopping or go a little off the radar and get some new implants. Busy streets, hundreds of people walking around you'd like to think everyone is a upstanding citizen but this is Night City. A thief comes behind you steals some credit chips off your back pocket, you have 2 options but time is not on your side.

Choice 1: You count your losses as you cannot see him as he blends in with the masses. You don't get the authorities involved, nobody gets wasted, nobody gets hurt.

Choice 2: You chase him, cause a scene as you try to run past 100 pedestrians trying to go about their routine. You injure some bystanders along the way, cause traffic jams even some car accidents as they try not run you over, cops are alerted and put you as a threat to peace. You finally catch up to him in a dead end street. You can let him go and maybe gain some street cred, or you can kill him and be a fugitive while having negative cred towards a faction.

>Getting Kidnapped:
You heard from someone there's a few jobs down in Pacifica. You are well geared and got some new implants to play with. You're not worried at all, what could happen? You get ambushed seems you pissed off the wrong people through a sidequest you thought was no big deal. You get sedated next thing you wake up in a bathtub butt naked, disoriented, and a few attachments missing.

Choice 1: Move on and go get some replacements. You are doing well, you got enough income.

Choice 2: The thugs leave info behind and after some data breaching you find their hideout. You go armed to the teeth, guns blazing, everyone's dead, you get your implants and gain access to a hidden stash. You get the last laugh.

> Getting Injured:
Say you're free roaming the city at night while not in a quest. Along your walk you realize you headed down an unknown street, You never explored this area and have no acquaintances here. Shady people walking all over, people staring. All of a sudden 3 gang members walk up and instigate you.

Choice 1: RUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Choice 2: You try to talk it out but your cool level is a 5 and you need a 10 to play it smooth. You put up a worthy fight but loose. You leave with your life but you now have a sprained knee and a fractured arm. You can walk but you cannot run at full speed, you can aim but your precision is not 100% there. You can cry about how the game is too hard or you can run a few errands to get money, gear up, take some boxing classes learn new moves(GTA San Andreas style) and be better prepared next time. All while keeping your mortality on check. You are not a superhero, you're trying to survive.

love it love everything about it, i love random events like this

I like the idea of there being a mechanic for ne'er-do-wells attempting to rob you, either in person, or, even your sanctum sanctorum home, but, at the same time, if robbery can happen, then, there too should be a mechanic to respond against it.

If you're getting robbed in person, then, you damned well better be able to fight back.
If people can break into your home, then, there should be security packages and suites available to mitigate that, and, a greater sense of security when it comes to getting nicer homes in nicer places about town that should, in effect, be harder targets with nicer security.
In essence, your starter flat is easy pickings, and protected more by its relative anonymity among similar flats as well as your character's relative anonymity until you start to gain recognition and might want to install/upgrade the security.
Whatever the case, if the mechanic is there, it should be optional in the options/realism menu, and even when it's turned on there should be a way to counter against it.

Kidnapping is an iffy thing. I'm okay with the concept as part of a side quest that's avoidable and optional, but, something that can result as a consequence of the character's actions regarding a side quest. There'd have to be some delineation and wiggle room for folks that don't jive with the concept, so, if they don't want that topping on their pizza, they don't gotta have.

When it comes to levels of injury, crippling, and even limb loss during game play, if it's a part of the damage mechanic, then, I'm of the opinion it's something that should have a setting in the options menu.
As with the kidnapping thing, I think that any quest that might leave your character without limbs/parts should be optional/avoidable, and a side quest, but such should also be meaningful, and tied to a story deserving such, as well as how the character can recover.

Top Bottom