I LOVE IT vs I HATE IT

+
I'm a newbie poster to the forum, though I've been reading it for a month or so. Loving the game, on chapter V, neutral, medium difficulty.The sexist crap makes me laugh and next time through I'm aiming to kill as little as possible on hard. Though it's neat I can now kill 3 drowners with one stroke! ;DHad problems with the graphics at first, pale blue areas for weapons and other stuff, turned some of the graphics down and it works fine. Find I need to delete pointless saves to speed up load/save times.Absolutely love Geralt's swaying white hair, the dwarf's and druids swaying beards make me laugh and the old ladies scare me. :D

i started my gaming career on RPG's in the early 90°s :D(Might & Magic , Eye of the Beholder, Shadow Caster)and i must say, this is one of the best RPG's i've played to date :beer:hope there'll be lots more Witcher in the future

I like unique story and the posibility of certain choises also theres a lot of mythology and I realy like that mater , but what realy atracts towards this game is that it's not just for fun and than to forget it , this one realy made me think about certain metters like guilt , justice and right and wrong . Also I played many othe RPG's but this one is unique and realy there are only few bad things such as some boring bugs .

New forumer here. I`m also an old rpg fan. I`ve been avoding the Witcher for a long time, primarily because it has no 3rd person view and there`s no way to make your own character. But the 18 rating always made me curious... However...I must say this game is FAR better than I expected. I would go so far to say that it`s better than Oblivion and NWN (exception Personal Character making and 1st person view).It has all the great classic RPG elements that I love, PLUS it`s quite adult. This has got to be the first CRPG in a decade that isn`t afraid of a bit of sex and nudity to add with the realistic gritty feel of the fantasy medievel world. I`m still only in the first chapter (playing on Medium), but what i`ve seen so far I really like.There are also the little touches I like, the way people do different things, hide from the rain and I actually enjoyed the first time I had a little kid following me around like a little pretend adventurer. the Inn really has a feeling of life and I do enjoy the Dice game a lot.Some of the characterisations of people you meet are also quite funny.A Classic game and deserves to do better tha the likes of hand-holding Oblivion. I just wish it allowed 1st person view and the ability to design how your character looked. I also prefer playing a non-magic warrior, but I can live without for this quality in a MATURE CRPG that doesn`t treat me like a 2 year-old. :D

New forumer here as well, always been a fan of RPG's and such. When I saw The Witcher I just knew I had to buy it.I'm an avid WoW nerd, has been playing it since release, and while I really like it I can miss the complexity and matureness of other RPG's, and The Witcher fits perfectly in there. Funnily enough this game reminds me of a bit old school RPG's (used to be playing alot of Diablo/Diablo 2 as well as Baldur's Gate and such when they where fresh), which just makes it all the better in my eyes. The combat is fairly easy to get in to yet challenging and looks ace, the story and just the general feel of the game...excellent.I think this is their first game (or is it?) and it's an awesome well done job. I'll be looking forward to any sort of sequels/other games they'll be releasing. ;D

yea i think everybody loves this gameits my favourite game of 2007 and 2008 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D+you can play this game more than one time wiht a completle other end :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

PetraSilie said:
plus... there is always something to discover you missed or didn't notice in your previous gameplay 8)
And, shall I add... You can go about a lot of rich quests properly, rather than sprinting through them, which probably happened in your previous gameplay ]:->While I love "The Witcher" just as much as the next forumite, one thing was really annoying - every now and then, a rich and wonderfully branched quest would be over too soon, only because I stumbled across a dead body while exploring a place the authors didn't expect me to visit that early.

The witcher basically gave me hope that a rpg can be everything that its suppose to be. Previous to the witcher, I'd been playing some unreal tournanent 3, some crysis, and some good old defense of the ancients. I'd lost faith in the Rpg market, because they the depth found in pen and paper rpg's Most people associate rpg's with stats-Any game with the development of stats=role playing game. I have a word for those games~stat oriented actions games...Even games that make an effort to be something more have there failings. Neverwinter nights, Kotor, oblivion for some recent examples....With oblivion, no connection was created between me or the silent protagonist. I felt exceedingly distant with the protagonist. I began to feel like I was playing classical silent shooter protagonist, never talking, just bashing heads. With Kotor or nwn, the game had promising gameplay and character development, but was stunted by the way the alignment system worked. Dialogue felt sporratic and unrelated. The game gave me the option of being wantonly evil one moment, and absurdly just another. Even more so, the actions had no effect on gameplay, or more importantly, they had no impact on the development of my character, save the changing a relatively meaningless alignment bar. The witcher isn't perfect-there is a lot it can improve on, but the game gave me hope that its possible for a game to have the depth found only on table top rpgs (which I never play anymore...my friends have little interest in it :p), to be displayed in a game. The ending doesn't change, but all your actions well, make sense, in a way that isn't forced. In other words, you can't save triss from a band of rapelves, only to verbally abuse her in ridiculous ways the next moment. This basically makes the game easier to "role play"-If your character acts in a way that makes sense, the experience becomes overall more enjoyable. In addition, the game stays true to the witchers books overarching theme of the lack of moral absolutes...no good or bad. It could have been extremely easy to add a "goodness bar", but the developers chose not. Instead the game leaves the players to ponder the consequences and morality of there actions. For instance, the act of killing Vincent I killed him., not because I was unaware of how to break his curse, or I disliked him, but for his yummy talent potion. Even after going on massacre sprees in games like Nwn or oblivion, I felt not one pang of guilt. I actually felt guilty of killing vincent. As a result, I made myself break Ada's curse instead of going the selfish route of going for her potion. The game actually encouraged me to roleplay...while I was tasked on deciding who I would side with (another thing I like...siding with either side is a gradual process, set over 3 events, while in other rpgs, its usually done in a single dialogue.) I put into play my own moral beliefs. I sort of saw the Nonhuman-human conflict as the U.S's previous conflict of the resettling of Native Americans. One side is drastically overpowered, and outgunned, yet fought in vain for there right to live the way they want. On the other hand, that side was not afraid to use "terror tactics", and various other underhanded tactics. I couldn't directly support such things that would endanger innocent civilians, to them, to which is merely a means to an end. Nor did they believe in total equality-Given the chance, they would inflict the same means oppression that was directed to them as evident by there contemptuous remarks. On the opposing side, we had a side that essentially supports genocide. Given those to choices, I basically could only side with neutral. In other games, I can shift from evil to angelic with ease. On my second replay of the witcher on hard, I changed many things-Such as not killing vincent :). But one thing I ended up doing the same was siding with neutral. This game was far from perfect, far far from it. The games ending needed working on. The game overall stayed plot centered enough to stop it from becoming something like oblivion, in which NO connection was formed between the main character, or any other character. But remained open to allow impactful meaningful decisions. But the I was let down at the ending, with a single closed ending that remained the same no matter what your actions were. I felt that allegiances became meaningless, essentially effecting very little. It would be interesting if in the sequel, the end boss would be different depending on choices you made. But this game is really the first of its kind, at least since I've seen for a long long time.

Not really an RPG for me. A RPG that mean you play a role you choose. And create our own character is half of the fun, but not in this game :(. It's more like a book where you are the hero, definitively not an RPG.Just started few hour ago, and i like it well (like a nice movie)... until i start to collect flower. Just after start chapter 1, one major gasp appear. After only few min of collecting i was full ! And yes before that i have put half of bag in tavern banker.Bags, or ... size of bags, i can well understand than with bigger armor i have more pocket, but i dont buy this point of view (it's fantasy world no need to worry about size of thing, we have teleport and lot of increadible thing). If i start to practice alchemy, i should have bagpack at last for flower.I have never see (before) one RPG where we CANT collect at last half dozen of weapon. Why i cant hold more weapon in inventory ?Dont like that at all.Grats you find one new great sword, now just let rot on ground your other old legendary sword who saved your life so many time.I liked the game in hard mode, was fun. But i dont see why i play if i cant collect thing, and i sure no want go back sold thing every 10 min.It's far from perfect game, very far :) i still prefere old game like eyes of beholder or dungeon master even iskar and other thing like that (arena, M&M4+5)ok it's better than oblivion(not hard, oblivion was crappy game lol) and perhaps as good as or better than NWN2(who was not finished)i still hope /crossfinger, but nice try.And i would like to have stats of food and thing like i see this give +10% or +20% to weapon, why i dont see ratio of food/drink/oil ? they all have same ratio ?

Lathaine said:
And i would like to have stats of food and thing like i see this give +10% or +20% to weapon, why i dont see ratio of food/drink/oil ? they all have same ratio ?
Food gives you a Swallow-like regeneration for several seconds, and drinks (except alcohol) act like a similarly short-lived Owl. And yes, the rate of induced health/magic regeneration is constant.I think I see what you mean, and while I personally LIKE the lack of numbers in "The Witcher", I can understand your point. To me, if we talk about oldschool games, "The Witcher" is closer to games like my all-time favoutire, "Albion". Story-driven, with very little influence on stats, not entirely an RPG as such, more of a RPG-adventure blend.To me, the lack of clearly stated modifiers (except in the case of weapons/armour) is a good thing. As is limited space in the inventory and inability to carry more than one weapon of any type (as far as I remember, you get another slot later in the game, but it's not a dramatic change). Thing is, I'm not that big a fan of purely magic-driven worlds, with their bags of holding, easy teleportation and ability to carry 20 polearms in your backpack. They lack integrity, and start ripping at the seams once you ask the question "if magic is so widely available and all-powerful, why do you invariably get starving peasants working their backsides off in the field? Why, come to that, do you have enough technological advance to reach a late-medieval tech level?".And playing a predefined character... I enjoy creating a hero of my own devising, and I think this is the main advantage of tabletop over videogaming. However... the most important element in "The Witcher" - the story - is entirely character-driven, and a character-driven story of such depth is just impossible to arrange if you have a generic hero. I can think of very few games which were capable of mixing the two together, and even they sometimes slump into ridiculousness - in the "Baldur's Gate" saga, towards the end, you got the impression that Bhall had apparently mated with every female of every species present in Faerun, and more than once, as it seems.Again, I understand your point. I played a fair share of "good ol' RPGs" myself, and enjoyed many of them immensely. I'm not trying to prove you wrong. I just think you can argue for both styles just as effectively, and in the end it all comes down to your personal tastes.

Ich spiele das Spiel nach einem langen Anlauf,- Gewöhnung an das Kampfsystem und die langen Ladezeiten- sehr gern,vor allem wegen des wirklich interessanten Helden.Manchmal kommt man mit den zahlreichen Quests etwas durcheinander und das Inventar könnte grösser und übersichtlicher sein.Aber die Graphik ist gut und vermittelt eine beklemmende, dichte Atmosphäre, die ähnlich mitreisst wie meine Lieblingsspiele (trotz bugs)Gothic 2 und 3.Wegen der Sexabenteuer würde ich das Spiel zwar nicht kaufen aber sie stören mich nicht, sie ordnensich meist der Handlung gut ein. Die alkoholischen Einlagen dagegen würde ich gern reduzieren,vor allem dort, wo sie zum Weiterführen eines Quests benötigt werden.Und,ja: die Figuren sollten nicht gar so aus einer Form gegossen sein, alle Händler schauen gleich aus, ebenso alle alten Frauen oder die Soldaten, auch die wichtigen NPCs. ;)

oldwitch said:
Ich spiele das Spiel nach einem langen Anlauf,- Gewöhnung an das Kampfsystem und die langen Ladezeiten- sehr gern,vor allem wegen des wirklich interessanten Helden.Manchmal kommt man mit den zahlreichen Quests etwas durcheinander und das Inventar könnte grösser und übersichtlicher sein.Aber die Graphik ist gut und vermittelt eine beklemmende, dichte Atmosphäre, die ähnlich mitreisst wie meine Lieblingsspiele (trotz bugs)Gothic 2 und 3.Wegen der Sexabenteuer würde ich das Spiel zwar nicht kaufen aber sie stören mich nicht, sie ordnensich meist der Handlung gut ein. Die alkoholischen Einlagen dagegen würde ich gern reduzieren,vor allem dort, wo sie zum Weiterführen eines Quests benötigt werden.Und,ja: die Figuren sollten nicht gar so aus einer Form gegossen sein, alle Händler schauen gleich aus, ebenso alle alten Frauen oder die Soldaten, auch die wichtigen NPCs. ;)
Translation I play the game after a long start, - accustomed to the combat system and the long load times-very happy, especially because of the really interesting Helden.Manchmal you with the many quests somewhat confused and the inventory could be bigger and clearer.But the graphics is good and gives an oppressive, dense atmosphere, similar mitreisst as my favourite games (despite bugs) Gothic 2 and 3Because of the Sexabenteuer the game, I would not buy but they disturb me, they ordnensich most of the action well. The alcoholic deposits on the other hand, I would like to reduce, especially where they are to continue driving a quest needed.And, yes, the figures should not be poured from a form, all dealers look the same, as well as all old women or soldiers, including the important NPCs.Pleas use English here or at least use a translator that way everyone know what you sayingPleas Verwendung Englisch hier oder zumindest mit einem Übersetzer auf diese Weise alle wissen, was Sie sagen,

For me all this game needs is a 1st person view and the ability to make your own character.The seriousness, realism, uncensorship (English version) and story plus sidequests are all perfect.Just wish I could sometimes give a coin to the poor... :'(

Socratatus said:
For me all this game needs is a 1st person view and the ability to make your own character.
Are we going TES here?While the 1st person view could be implemented, you would miss out on spectacular combat sequences. And Geralt's agile swordsmanship would just become your standard oblivionesque bashing.Make your own character... I wouldn't agree with that. You say that story and sidequests are perfect... Well, that's because their mostly character-driven. Without a defined protagonist in the person of Geralt, it would be much, much worse. While I enjoy making my own characters, I wouldn't let CDP Red implement that in "The Witcher 2".

I like the game very much. Sure it has it´s weak points compared to other RPG´s but as was said before it is not a 100 % pure RPG Game...more a blend of two genres.I liked the atmosphere very much...at last a game that´s not the usual all-happy-shiny-lovely-colored-we-love-everyone-70´s World. It has much of the dark sides our "real" world has too. Like sex, drugs, racism, diseases and more. That pulled me personally much more into the world then most other games did before. The combat system is awesome and looks brilliant thx to the motion capturing that was used to visually create it.The alchemy and the small magic parts from the sign´s you can use are also well balanced.One not so good point in the combat system in my opinion is that all other weapons can´t be used with the combat styles. I never used them because the lack of damage with the "not chainable" attacks and mostly of the special options the other weapons offered could also be archived with improved swords or other means like the signs. A limitation to a single fighting style for the other weapons would be could for example the strong style for axes or heavy morning stars and the fast style for daggers. Maybe that could be implemented in a mod or a sequel. ;)There are of course some smaller points that could be improved (NPC clones, some translations in my case the german one) but with the upcoming "Enhanced Edition" that´s free for all original game owners (What imho is really a great deed from the developers) most of them will be solved. :D Thumbs up from me for that!!!And Seeker you are right to say that the forum language should be english but...as i am a german guy who understands both languages i can only say do not use those translating tools. They are simply not good enough yet. It was very funny to read after the translation. Because it changed the meaning on some points from let me say "black to white" ;DI will try to translate that again with my own words so that it is clearer then the automatic translated version. It may not be a 100 % correct translation from a professional but it will surely be better then before. :whistle:TRANSLATION FROM "oldwitch" :After a long periode of time i needed to get used to the combat system and the long loading times i play the game very gladly. Especially because of the very interesting hero. Sometimes the big number of quests can be a bit confusing and the inventory could be bigger and clearer.The graphics on the other side are good and create an oppressive, dense atmosphere, similar thrilling as my other favorite games (despite their bugs) Gothic 2 and 3.I wouldn´t buy the game only for the sexual adventures, but they don´t disturb me either. They fit mostly good into the storyline. On the other hand i would like to reduce the alcoholic parts of the game especially when they are needed to continue a quest. And yes the people shouldn´t look all that much the same. All the merchants look the same as well as all old women or soldiers even the important NPC´s.Thanks for reading...i hope this helped.

RykNiedwiedzia said:
RykNiedwiedzia said:
For me all this game needs is a 1st person view and the ability to make your own character.
Are we going TES here?While the 1st person view could be implemented, you would miss out on spectacular combat sequences. And Geralt's agile swordsmanship would just become your standard oblivionesque bashing.Make your own character... I wouldn't agree with that. You say that story and sidequests are perfect... Well, that's because their mostly character-driven. Without a defined protagonist in the person of Geralt, it would be much, much worse. While I enjoy making my own characters, I wouldn't let CDP Red implement that in "The Witcher 2".
All it takes is a bit of imagination. This game works from YOU controlling the character. 1st person would immerse ME into the world perfectly. Walking about the cities or forests would feel as real as it could get on a monitor. I don`t have to see his whirling swordsmanship, just where the sword moves in first person. Neither would it be standard oblivionesque as it could still use the same hit system like Morrowind did. Morrowind was first person but did not rely on your button- bashing skills. Your hits actually depended on the character`s skill.About making your own character, again, this is a lack of imagination. I`m really talking about VISUALLY. Just how you would like him to look. Most of the indepth storylines could be kept and any specific Witcher comments like "Your hair`s like milk" could be increased to "Your hair`s all Blue, Your hair`s like Purple" - How come?" etc. Normal hair colour`s would get no response. "Your huge and Ugly" would still work, etc.Your custom character would still be a `Witcher` so that would be his usual name, With a little thought and imagination it would be easy to have a system that allowed you to make a character that looked how you wished, yet keep all his Witcher abilities and story line.You just aren`t thinking out of the box.

Top Bottom