I LOVE IT vs I HATE IT

+
Kovacs, a few things of your complaints are purely a matter of taste like the character developement, 'learning' the alchemy system and combat. A few of your arguements are indeed justified. I think you haven't heard of the Enhanced Edtion which will be released in September and it improves much of the irritating glitches. You can download all these enhancements for free as you already have the full version of the game. So before you really regret you bought the game, try the Enhanced Edition and then make your final rating.fiznerpin, is your comment spam or an insult for someone who isn't satisfied with the game? I consider it as pretty insolent.

Wow... where I come from a "wink" at the end of a post means you are just kidding, I understand, and to not get uptight. looks like you did.... and as long as we are throwing names like insolent around, are you normally this humorless? Is it something I said?? or is it a female thing? Holy crap.....This kind of language and attack against another moderator is uncalled for. Note she said that she consider certain behavior to be "pretty insolent", not you.

Kovacs said:
On the other hand, why would you have to re-learn the same move with a silver sword that you already know with an iron sword? The whole fast/strong/multiple combat style thing may work as a "game balance" mechanism, but it's incredibly stupid and unrealistic as a concept. Having to learn each of them independently for each weapon is an obvious "point sink", NOT a rational character advancement system. Alchemy isn't a "system" either, it's a set of disconnected "powerups" and "enablers" You don't "learn" alchemy, you just collect formulas. Ultimately, the character advancement system isn't a set of 100+ "skills", it's a collection of "perks" atop an underlying base of only about half a dozen skills. To make it even more limiting, there is no Ranged combat skill, and no way to advance in the use of any of the other melee weapon types besides swords.My computer setup may not be a "state of the art" dedicated "gamer" system, but it's a big step up from "vanilla". The EN85000GT TOP NVIDIA card I'm using runs the game smoothly for about 15-20 minutes, then the video begins to self-destruct into either random pixels or else an expanded view of an individual "texture", such as a face or piece of wood grain stretched across the entire screen. It took me about 5-6 reloads just to make it out of Kaer Mohren (sp?).
The can be confusing with some of the options at the start and there is some of the game where you think wtf but overall it is a great game. I found it didn't really pick up until chapter two then it just got really good. As for ranged attack there is a point in the game where if you can figure out the timing you can use some of the signs at a slightly ranged distance, but I agree it would be cool to see a bow at some point.
Kovacs said:
Then I find that, in spite of being "rated" for Mature players, it's actually a censored version of the game.
As for this there are a few 'uncensor' mods for download in one of the other forum topics on this site. From what I've heard the things censored are:In EU: the violenceUS: Nudity.Censorship is one of my huge hates it just doesn't make sense to me. So much as freedom of speech. Oh well what are you going to do. lol ;D

Love it. I tried to read all 45 pages, but skipped from page 9 to here. Sorry :p The apologies being mainly for duplicate mentions of issues/praise:pros:Gorgeous art workReally good storyAwesome fighting moves (as a student of kung fu and tai chi I can really appreciate the motion captured moves)Really nice approach to getting you involved in the fights, rather than click-fest or click-and-pray, but without getting too Virtua Fighter-style involved with ithmm, room for improvement:Load times (although running raid1 on the disks with the saved games files doesn´t help here)Saving (I understand not wanting to overwrite save files and I like autosaves using a new slot, but why not cycle through 3 slots with quicksave, rather than save in a new slot every single time)Feeling of running into artificial barriers, especially when the environment suggests you´re in a wide, expansive areaEconomy (so in the whole world, there are what, 6 witchers left and only the odd "normal" person willing to take on monsters. Yet with monsters all over, your services are worth less than the cost of a book?)Sheathing/unsheathing (Do both or neither automatically. As it is, I can stand there getting beaten to death without making a move to grabbing a weapon, while on the other hand with the amulet still going crazy Geralt will calmly decide the fight´s over).Signi icons (I did not make notes on what icon is what sign. I will have to look them up on the internet now, because the glossary does not explain and I do not know other than fire and wind, which icon stands for what sign so I don´t know how to select any of them other than those two)Free choice (far from the only game with this downside, but as it is, your choices affect how people will react to you, but I don´t think this goes far enough. For replayability, it would be better if whole quest paths would be closed depending on who you piss off or befriend)npc models (again, not the only game with this problem at all. Must be harder than it sounds to implement an npc model-building branch: sex, race, choice of 5 basic head shapes, choice of 6 noses, choice of 10 styles of hair, choice of 4 chins, choice of 10 types of jewelery including nose (including moustach and beards for males), choice of 5 different clothes, choice of 10 colours, that´s 1.2M different npc´s there)dislikesThe very catchy, lingering tune while playing poker (It´s been literally doing my head in, I wake up with the thing going on in my head and it´s really starting to piss me off to the point where I will start playing with the music off and hope that actually turns off the poker tune. Which is a shame, because the rest of the music score fits the game really well)

I don't find the "poker music" too irritating though right now as I'm writing this its sound is in my head as well ;D
Sheathing/unsheathing (Do both or neither automatically. As it is, I can stand there getting beaten to death without making a move to grabbing a weapon, while on the other hand with the amulet still going crazy Geralt will calmly decide the fight´s over).
Yes this is contradictory because Geralt has a supernatural sense to feel the presence of monsters plus his amulett and then he sheathes his sword though the enemy is approaching visible to the naked eye of a normal human being ;DThis Issue will be handled in the EE as well but I don't know how.@fiznerpin Making plain (funny) comments / jokes at the expense of someone's complaints means you don't take him seriousy.

No, not really. I feel Kovac's pain, but it took me days of fiddle-f@@king around until I finally got my higher end machine to work and I managed to play through 5 or 6 times! What I was saying in "short version", more or less (explaining myself again, not that I need to) is: The game is purchased, the money spent. Take a deep breath & go at it again instead of quitting so easily. * wow........ now I feel bad for ruffling so many feathers * EDIT:seriously, people - stop white knuckling the keyboard & relaaaaaax. :beer: Really didn't figure six words & a wink would turn this Forum on it's head.

Kovacs said:
My computer setup may not be a "state of the art" dedicated "gamer" system, but it's a big step up from "vanilla". The EN85000GT TOP NVIDIA card I'm using runs the game smoothly for about 15-20 minutes, then the video begins to self-destruct into either random pixels or else an expanded view of an individual "texture", such as a face or piece of wood grain stretched across the entire screen. It took me about 5-6 reloads just to make it out of Kaer Mohren (sp?).After a couple of hours and about 6-7 reloads, which was enough to get a taste of the character advancement system and bizarre weapon "perks" chart, I decided that I really didn't like this game. Since I've already paid for it, and can't get my money back, I'm eventually going to try to force my way through at least part of it.
I have a GeForce 8400 and it runs fine. Was a hair slow until I stuck in another Gig of RAM (making 3 gigs total), but now it runs great. And that's on my wimpy little Presario. I'm sorry you got a bad impression of this game- I guess you can't please all the people all the time.

;D I feel very very VERY satisfied with this game! i have played a lot of rpgs and none has ever been upto the mark,maybe a few...but this one really took it to a whole new level! THIS IS WHAT I CALL AN RPG!!i liked everything about this game...excellent sound score,gameplay and storyline - both are amazing.And seriously! It's just begging for a sequel to be made or even a trilogy!! :eek:Ty CD Proj,for bringing this UNBELIEVABLE GAME into this world! I'll be eagerly waiting for the sequel.... :angel:

No offense taken. I may not be a Witcher, but even I can spot a wink at this distance.....I'm not saying it's a bad game, the storyline looks excellent and the overall interface seem to be pretty decent, and what little I've seen of the NPCs have very lifelike texturing (at least when the video isn't in limbo). It's just that the "perks" seem to be redundant: instead of having one (such as inflicting more knockdowns) affect every style, but having 5-6 levels of it, you have to learn it independently once for each style and weapon. Either you know it for that combination or you don't. As a "game mechanic", it's solid, but from a RP perspective, it makes very little sense.From what I've read on the board here, apparently the game and the 8500 card don't play well together. It runs smoothly while it works, but seems to flake out after a certain number of 'scene changes", and with the multiple sequences of canned dialog and cutscenes, that doesn't take long to happen. Now I need to decide whether the game is worth the cost of another video card, or else wait another year or so to play this until I upgrade the PC for some other reason, or else struggle through the whole game by constantly saving and restarting the game from Windows about every other scene.If I solve the video issue, I'll have to look into the patches and expansions. Thanks for the advice, winks and all.

If you are looking for technical discussions, you are posting to the wrong thread. Check out In-Game Tech, lots has been posted on the various technical issues experienced by users and a fair few solutions.

Man, here we go again with the moderators..... :wall: Kovacs was replying to something already here, that has ALREADY caused a "stir" with the blue sidebars - not looking for tech support.... @ Kovacs: I'm runnin' a Gforce 6800! - Just play with settings in advanced till you find the "sweet spot". That being said, if you still need direction, start a topic in the proper place before we get scolded again....(maybe I'll get a spanking this time ;) )

oh come now ... mentioning that there is useful information of a technical nature elsewhere is hardly a slam..... In-Game tech is not official technical support, and it is a great place to get good information. My comment began with the word "if" ... to me, that suggests an "if not" option even when the latter is not explicitly laid outthe topic of this thread is I LOVE IT vs I HATE IT ... specific discussions about the relative merits of one piece of hardware over another belong elsewhere. Otherwise why have different threads at all ? it's all about the Witcher (for the record, and the topic: LOVE IT, and voted a long time ago).So you are not being warned, or scolded, you are being informed ... that's what moderators do :peace:

Lol, gotta agree with the Mod here guys, the things said were a little harsh. At the same token I can see where you were coming from just remember it was another Moderator. ;DIn response to your card issues, i ask how much Ram are you running. I have a 8600GTs and found that like you my card would run fine but crash in the cutscenes and sometimes ingame. I upgraded my ram to 2 Gig using XP and it was fine. If you are running less than 2 Gig try upgrading that, it will save you money and maybe fix your issues. :beer:

Touche', dammit..... I suppose the mods usually have a sense of humor, some more than others. :whistle: Add to that I really don't worry about being politically correct.... What more can you expect from a guy that spends a third of his life bangin' his knuckles on cars, another third hunting, fishing, & running around the Minnesota woods, & the other third a mixture of sleeping, eating, & sittin' on this damn machine? No sophistication here, trust me. ;)

I don't now....One time Witcher was my most lovely game!But a few time ago i bougth Assassin's Creed and now Assassin's Creed 50% VS 50% The Witcher

fiznerpin said:
Touche', dammit..... I suppose the mods usually have a sense of humor, some more than others. :whistle: Add to that I really don't worry about being politically correct.... What more can you expect from a guy that spends a third of his life bangin' his knuckles on cars, another third hunting, fishing, & running around the Minnesota woods, & the other third a mixture of sleeping, eating, & sittin' on this damn machine? No sophistication here, trust me. ;)
Lol I can relate to some level. My life right now is sitting on my damn machine and Uni, College to most others. It's fun though I get to play with animation. :beer:

fiznerpin said:
Can you animate an AK47 for Geralt? :whistle:
Not yet but hopefully within a few months. lol. ;D Nah with the animation techniques I get, and if I mod the witcher, I'ld probably make some simple stuff like a bow or shield. ;)

Top Bottom