I quit vs NG and here's why

+
NG have too many control options compared to everyone else. By a massive margin. While this might fit thematically, I find vsing NG to be frustrating, not fun and tempts me to quit the game for this reason.

Do I think NG is imba? Not really but when you theme a faction around pissing your opponent off, people will avoid the MU to enjoy the rest of the game.
Maybe the devs should look at keeping NG a control faction without giving them so many options that the opponent might as well be running a point slam deck? Seems kind of dumb that NG can lock or otherwise shut down everything followed by poison abuse or w/e they feel like as a finisher.

NG have too many control options compared to everyone else. By a massive margin. While this might fit thematically, I find vsing NG to be frustrating, not fun and tempts me to quit the game for this reason.

Do I think NG is imba? Not really but when you theme a faction around pissing your opponent off, people will avoid the MU to enjoy the rest of the game.
Maybe the devs should look at keeping NG a control faction without giving them so many options that the opponent might as well be running a point slam deck? Seems kind of dumb that NG can lock or otherwise shut down everything followed by poison abuse or w/e they feel like as a finisher.

TL:DR NG=Frustration and Dread, I agree needs rebalancing.

I can say from my personal experience and opinion that Everytime I see a NG player I want to quit, but usually play it out just to see what happens. Often times I win which feels very satisfying when it's over but is so frustrating and mentally draining during the match that I usually stop playing right after because I know I'll be facing another NG matchup if I queue up again and I rather do anything else but play another NG March (even Ina pandemic).

It's unfortunate that the faction has created so much divisiveness among the Gwent community. I only have a limited amount of time to play each day and it sucks when I feel like not playing just because of a factions unbalanced nature.

Imo I feel like people see a streamer using a NG deck going 250+ wins in a season with minimal loses and think to themselves "that could be me?" Then netdeck (not saying netdecking is wrong) the deck and next thing you know, everyone and their mother is playing the same deck. This is just the nature of any card game, but it all comes back to the specific cards that NG has to abuse.

Like you said thematically their cards fit but man, it's not a good way to balance a game. Why would you want to have something that drives the majority of your player base mad? (I still question if NG is not the majority these days). I've always felt they had way more options at their disposal for too cheap. You play matches where they have a seemingly endless supply of poisons and locks plus ways to take your units, reenable their leader, play cards like Bribery (what a unbalanced card that is), and the list goes on.

Its baffled me that they have a card like Bribery, and a card like Yennifers Invocation(let me just take your best card) and Damien(let me reenable my ENTIRE leader ability again, a mechanic which should never be used more than initially intended) and Stefan(let me play the your best card again....and again) in one faction....compare that to all the other factions and it seems unbalanced. Yes there are ways to stop them but with a defender (which also needs balancing) you have no chance in stopping the cards that bring so much grief to the opposing player. I'd say Syndicate is a close second in frustration to play against. I get the same feeling of dread for both those factions and have to take a break from Gwent after playing against them enough times.

imo I feel like the other factions have more enjoyable and interesting archetypes to play and to play against which is why I've only played a few NG games and have not even touched SY. Hopefully it can be fixed, but without pushing one of the other factions too far where they become the next NG.

It's the faction identity of NG: disrupt opponents strategies.
The faction is not top tier the last couple of seasons so I wonder which decks you play and what rank you are?
NG sadly is the worst designed faction in the game for a long while.
The last couple of patches ST and SK got the most attention followed by NR, SY and MO.

NG's high-end competitive golds/combo's all do double something which results in a low variety in gameplay and deckbuilding.
Double scenario is basically the best they've got and yes I agree this is broken and shouldn't be possible.
The Skellen and Damien de la Tour combo is risky due to movement nerfs if your opponent can move them they're just 5pt cards.
Other than that it's the only way in NG to be competitive at the moment.

It's sad because in open-beta time NG was amongst the best designs in the game.
Spies was incredibly fun, reveal was interesting and alchemy (altough a bit overtuned) was cool.
In 'homecoming' we get after a few years:
- Assimilate which is similar to ST harmony but worse due to the lack of a finisher
- Poor designed soldiers which I wouldn't even call a archetype atm
- The spies iteration is just trash
- Poison is good but there are to many factions that can play this ability so I won't call this a faction identity

NG would be less frustrating to play against if you change Assire to put units back in deck, remove poison from ST & SY and bring back some of the tech from beta.
Hopefully they will bring changes this year but I'm hoping that for years now :(

Last edited:
What about sindicate? I can't stop playing against a clone of a clone of a clone of the same deck: first round usually scenario + philipa einhart+poison, second round their defender+borsodi+savoya or moreelse (you know its coming when they first play the free tribute card)+saul navarette
Even if you know what is coming it's still hard to win because that deck is a bit overpowered. They always play these same cards with few variations.

What about sindicate? I can't stop playing against a clone of a clone of a clone of the same deck: first round usually scenario + philipa einhart+poison, second round their defender+borsodi+savoya or moreelse (you know its coming when they first play the free tribute card)+saul navarette
Even if you know what is coming it's still hard to win because that deck is a bit overpowered. They always play these same cards with few variations.

That's an entirely different beast and SY's Phillipa is massively imbalanced, nevermind doing stuff like using Wild Card to Fisstech poison nuke+Borsodi for your final turn.
Post automatically merged:

Related topics:
Please Nerf the Nilfgaard - it's way too imbalanced
What is the fun in playing Nilfgaard?

Well, let's see where this thread goes first, before I start waving my merging wand. :)
Thanks for letting the thread slide for now! It sucks when your topics get buried in a thread nobody cares about lol.

By the way by not facing it you should know you're missing funny moments. Today got 2 priceless moments against double nilfgaard scenario players (which is around 50% nilfgaard players have it seems): the first one was not so epic, I looked his 3 first cards and sent Assire to graveyard. He automatically quit, still laughing at that. Second one was epic, I didn't get any of my 2 artifact removals in first round so he played his scenario and won the first round. So I had to play second round with 9 cards and I DIDN'T GET AGAIN ANY OF MY 2 REMOVALS (what's the chance of that???). I played my scenario and he automatically removed it so now everything seemed lost...my last chance was Joachin de Wett with 1/9 chances of getting the bomb thrower. And miracle worked and I got it to destroy his scenario LOL. He never recovered from that. From there he had to play EVEN CONDITION and lost. No GG in the end from his part which felt great.

I actually think that Nilfgaard current design is intended by developers: look at SY this season, even with all of Nilfgaard worst it is still bonkers.

The reason for this is very simple as part of the aim of homecoming was making engines viable as many of them were unplayable during beta. The results is of course is that we went from overpowered tempo pointslam to engines swarm and to keep the problem in check they gave one faction many removal tools so the problem would sort itself out.
However such a strategy makes decks that have fewer engines suffer a lot

I actually think that Nilfgaard current design is intended by developers: look at SY this season, even with all of Nilfgaard worst it is still bonkers.

The reason for this is very simple as part of the aim of homecoming was making engines viable as many of them were unplayable during beta. The results is of course is that we went from overpowered tempo pointslam to engines swarm and to keep the problem in check they gave one faction many removal tools so the problem would sort itself out.
However such a strategy makes decks that have fewer engines suffer a lot

It also frustrates people. Control is good and healthy but when you cram so much control into one faction that you're no longer really playing the game and instead are just throwing (hopefully) tall units on the board that might as well not have any abilities...the game becomes very stagnant and binary.

Why would I want to play a game that's so poorly designed that an entire faction is themed around not letting the opponent play? Outside of NG literally being able to main deck more removal than you can throw down units though, the game is fairly solid with a few exceptions like hidden cache and re-using Gold cards, which almost always ends up in a balance issue.

It also frustrates people. Control is good and healthy but when you cram so much control into one faction that you're no longer really playing the game and instead are just throwing (hopefully) tall units on the board that might as well not have any abilities...the game becomes very stagnant and binary.

Why would I want to play a game that's so poorly designed that an entire faction is themed around not letting the opponent play? Outside of NG literally being able to main deck more removal than you can throw down units though, the game is fairly solid with a few exceptions like hidden cache and re-using Gold cards, which almost always ends up in a balance issue.
Well as I've said I think that Nilfgaard is built to shut down decks like Harmony and SY Hidden Cache. The downside, however, is that decks that don't run as many engines get nuked

CDPR must be joking with NG. This is the most f*cking frustrating faction to play against for me so far.. I've just lost 5 matches in a row against them, starting to lose my freakin' mind too.. NG is pure [...], every time I run into them, it seems they have an answer for everything, and they can do too many things too well.
I don't really care they're not that almighty on pro rank, that doesn't make them less infuriating for the rest of the players.. if the faction's performance is not gradual, that is just bad design.
A lot more of the NG cards should have provision and/or power cap when it comes to what other cards they can manipulate and how many times.. or I don't know what would be the solution, other than quitting the instant one sees NG ..then good luck enjoying the game.. :(

Edited. -Drac

Last edited by a moderator:
I wonder which decks you guys play yourself and which NG decks you re playing against.
NG is beatable if you struggle against a particular deck try and play it yourself to learn how other people play against it and by doing so discover the weaknesses

I wonder which decks you guys play yourself and which NG decks you re playing against.
NG is beatable if you struggle against a particular deck try and play it yourself to learn how other people play against it and by doing so discover the weaknesses

Thats not the point.

I play MO. Love the damage combos and unit revives it can do. (not replays like NG)

NG is beatable, but again thats not the point. It's annoying to play and play against it drains the fun out of the game.

win or lose it is extremley frustrating and boring against NG.

This game is missing massive balance. the theme for NG can be spying but the way it is implemented is disruptive to the enjoyment of the game. Its the only faction I hate to play against because of this.

Its starting deck is useless and the only real progression offered for the faction is complete disruption of play.

It's not about balance, it's about how NG are the anithisis of fun. They're literally designed around denying everything the opponent does unless you run Solider spam. In that case only half your deck can be dedicated to removal and locks vs the normal 3/4 of your deck being dedicated to it.

That's frustrating, bad design.

In my opinion, the pre-patch poison/block NG deck was not this big deal, you just needed a card who can destroy Scenarios.
But come on, are you kidding me? The new ability?? Block a card, create a copy and boost it of 2? Seriously? Something else? A coffe maybe?

It's not about balance, it's about how NG are the anithisis of fun. They're literally designed around denying everything the opponent does unless you run Solider spam. In that case only half your deck can be dedicated to removal and locks vs the normal 3/4 of your deck being dedicated to it.

That's frustrating, bad design.

The faction has too much control options I can't deny that.
Such tech is needed in a faction though otherwise engine overload or tall unit pointspam become too strong.

Bribery is a busted card right from the beginning.
It's so incredibly broken it can play cards with much higher provision costs.
Skellen and Damien are annoying cards I don't like their abilities all they add is repetivity and abuse.
Double scenario with Assire is broken, I can't speak this out enough.

Still NG is one of my favourite factions I don't play the above scam though because I think it's foul play.
I hate that and refuse to support such type of play because it ruins everything that is great about the game.

The new leader with it's control ability is interesting but with cards/combos mentioned above I understand people get frustrated.

Ability Changes, provision nerfs, smarter archetypes, re-arrange faction mechanics are really needed at this point. The game is facing the simmilar problems as in beta right now.

DRK3

Forum veteran
For people complaining NG has too much removal...

I dont think this is true, at least compared to other factions. Im assuming you're talking about the 4/5/6 removal bronze tactics. Guess what - most factions have those too.

But other factions dont make whole decks around them, because they're not driven to do so. While NG, when it received a leader that gets stronger with how many tactics you have (Enslave), it fueled these type of removal decks.

Its perfectly viable to have as much removal as NG with other factions, just look at current Arachas Swarm decks, they're as bad if not worse as NG. And i remember in the past playing ST and MO decks that werent meant to use many removals but i did and it was just a d*** move and they did really well.

So, the problem of NG removal is not just on what it offers, but on what the players choose (although with only one scenario focused on poison/removal, its hard to escape this after MoO. Lets hope next expansion brings a non-removal scenario for NG)

That's not quite right the numbers are as follows:

Lock cards
Neutral - 7
NG - 5 (7) Inc leader
ST - 2
SK - 2
NR - 1
SY - 1
MO - 0

Seize cards
NG - 2 (3) Inc Leader
Neutral - 1
MO - 1
SY - 1

(Not to mention playing or banishing the opponent's deck - Full analysis not worth the time)

Whilst other factions can use locks to some degree due to neutral cards they cannot revolve around just that.

NG however can play full lock and seize and use the opponent's deck for units.

Win or lose it makes for an extremely frustrating game against NG

Top Bottom