I really wish the game had more Side quests and did not rely too heavily on Gigs

+
I dont mind if the story is too short but i really wished the game made up for it by having way more side quests ,Baldurs gate 2 is one of my favorite games and while it did have a 15-20 hour story the top tier side quests it had more than made up for it ,this game does have some great side quests even though some either end too quickly or end on a cliffhanger but sadly they are not enough to make up for the short story ,on the other hand Gigs while some of them are good i would say most of them are very generic quests that you would find in MMOs and the Cyberpsycho missions are basically a shitty version of monster hunts from the witcher 3 no where near as fleshed out.

I think they should package a DLC expansion with a bunch of new quests and missions that have different paths that lead to different conclusions, and more lengthy missions with follow up encounters, dialogue, and characters to interact with. Mix some awesome action sequences in there, with a little more player agency. I'd be happy.

I think they should package a DLC expansion with a bunch of new quests and missions that have different paths that lead to different conclusions, and more lengthy missions with follow up encounters, dialogue, and characters to interact with. Mix some awesome action sequences in there, with a little more player agency. I'd be happy.
i really hope they do that in the future updates and not just iron out buggs

I found the gigs to be a good improvement of what we have in other open worlds, because they're kind of all connected to one bigger situation (if you read all the shards you often can connect all of them). They also are a welcome distraction when you don't feel like going on a two hours quest line.
But I agree, mostly because the set of side characters the game has is wonderful in my opinion. It would be a shame not to give those characters even more screen time.
I think it's one of the game strongest assets, and something where CDPR didn't mess up. Art and character writing are so great, I just want more of them.

Ziffa

Forum regular
I found the gigs to be a good improvement of what we have in other open worlds, because they're kind of all connected to one bigger situation (if you read all the shards you often can connect all of them). They also are a welcome distraction when you don't feel like going on a two hours quest line.
But I agree, mostly because the set of side characters the game has is wonderful in my opinion. It would be a shame not to give those characters even more screen time.
I think it's one of the game strongest assets, and something where CDPR didn't mess up. Art and character writing are so great, I just want more of them.
If they invested more time into story telling inside a gig, instead of filling the world with 3000 shards no one is gonna read, that would have been better time spent.

If they invested more time into story telling inside a gig, instead of filling the world with 3000 shards no one is gonna read, that would have been better time spent.

Some gigs are actually well written in their own ways, even though they don't have the level of interactivity and animation bigger quests have for sure. But given how they improved the question mark items from the Witcher 3 (which for the base game were just filling the map, with those in Skellige particularly, while the Heart of Stone ones bringing up an overall connected story) I think there is also room for improvement here too.

As for the shards, except for the ones you find on the gig locations with the yellow marker on (which are often small discussions) I don't think there is a lot of work into those, given they mostly come straight up from the pen and paper lore. But since it is a lower side content, I don't mind that at all. If you enjoy the game and its world, you're free to dig in. If you don't, you don't have to spend time on it.

I just wish though the game did a better job in making you explore the world instead of taking you by the hand to bring you to those gigs and such. Would feel better if you naturally stepped onto something while casually walking in Japantown and eventually brought to light a human organ traffic or such. No markers, nothing, just events spawning organically.

I found the gigs to be a good improvement of what we have in other open worlds, because they're kind of all connected to one bigger situation (if you read all the shards you often can connect all of them).
Uh, no.

Plenty of open world games have interconnected side content. Plenty of open world games have more variety in their side content, not just cookie-cutter fetch/kill quests.

Also, the shards can say whatever they want, it doesn't make the gameplay any better or less repetitive.

I agree. Even if we would want main story to be longer, it's not going to happen at this point anymore.

This game already has some good side jobs, so I'd love to see some more added. If they also included some actually impactful choices and features some of the already established likeable side characters, then I'd be pretty happy already.

Uh, no.

Plenty of open world games have interconnected side content. Plenty of open world games have more variety in their side content, not just cookie-cutter fetch/kill quests.

Also, the shards can say whatever they want, it doesn't make the gameplay any better or less repetitive.

I wasn't talking about the gameplay here so there's that.
Also, I wasn't talking about other games made by other developers but about games made by CDPR. Gigs are more interesting than half the map of Skellige filled with question marks in my opinion. Thus, I said they improved on that. And you always have some nice details when you look at the environement around those gigs. It's not stellar content, it doesn't have to be. I'd rather have more side quest content over a complete overhaul of gigs/NCPD crimes.

I have to say the side-quests in TW3 were way more fleshed out, and just better overall. Even the witcher contracts (which can be compared to the gigs in Cyberpunk, I guess) are more interesting and have some cool twist, or a little something to make it stand out and kinda stick with you for a while. I remember an interview with TW3 director saying they focused on making each quest have something unique, didn't have to be something big, just a little something that made it different from the next one.

90% of those gigs in Cyberpunk are boring and repetitive, and if I'm lucky I get a interesting one...which end up too quickly or in a uninteresting way, or both. And I don't understand it because it seems the lead quest designer for Cyberpunk also worked in TW3.

Don't even get me started on those NCPD markers, they are the equivalent of the smuggler's cache in the sea of Skellige (10x more of them too holy crap, they're all over the map).

But they could have balanced the quest manufacturing with a random quest generator ... at least to provide more game time for those who really like the game: me, for example.

This does not say anything against or opposes the eventual and supposed manual work that the CD did, however ... by the way the side quests are solved in the game ... I would not doubt that there is already a quest generator ...

You're right! The side quests in Cyberpunk 2077 are rubbish (and the main quest is just a linear shooter).

Steal the car and bring it to the garage. This is the level of GTA 3.
But even in GTA 3 there would be more cutscenes with jokes and funny characters.
And here are damn SMS to your phone! No, I lied. This is not the level of GTA 3, it is WORSE!
Post automatically merged:

And I don't believe in DLS!
To fix this shitty game, they don't need to add content, but REMOVE CONTENT!
They need to delete all those meaningless contracts, the copied quests of cyberpsychosis, delete all those identical blue crime icons.
And replace all this with normal, non-linear quests with a plot, cutscenes, interesting characters.
Nobody will do it. Because the game has already been sold, it is already financially successful and I personally, with my money, proved that I am ready to eat stupid copy-paste shit-quests.
We are cursed! Gaming is dead!

Last edited:
You're right! The side quests in Cyberpunk 2077 are rubbish (and the main quest is just a linear shooter).

But even in GTA 3 there would be more cutscenes with jokes and funny characters.
And here are damn SMS to your phone! No, I lied. This is not the level of GTA 3, it is WORSE!

They need to delete all those meaningless contracts, the copied quests of cyberpsychosis, delete all those identical blue crime icons.
And replace all this with normal, non-linear quests with a plot, cutscenes, interesting characters.
Nobody will do it. Because the game has already been sold, it is already financially successful and I personally, with my money, proved that I am ready to eat stupid copy-paste shit-quests.

Support indie developers, honestly
There are so many clever and cool games made by indie devs that are SO underrated. They also don't take 300 hours of our life with filler content. Few months ago I played the incredible Carrion, it has such an unique theme I absolutely loved it.

Some considerations

The game is not 'dead', even if you want to ... but it needs to be polished, of course. Your 'liking' for something does not determine anything, perhaps, your choices. On 'linear' quests (or their interpretation of this) they are common in 'open world' and can, yes, be worked well, including reworked manually (that's what I think happens today in Cyberpunk, a generator and some manual adjustments). Something that is missing, when we finish them, condemning the game, here, yes, to death or 'leaving aside'.

The side quests do not explore the world, they do not point to that, they are repetitions of themselves ... consequence of the linearity of their construction (generator). I don't want to think that they were 'hand made in detail' ... as they are very limited to routines. Here I agree with you.

I don't think that 'open world' games should have 'ends in themselves' or they should have 'open', nothing in fact has anything, if not, a mere label, mere advertising. In my view, 'open' means 'does not end' ... and CP ends after quests have been made.

Ye the gigs are def. reminding me of Ubisoft copy paste content. It really just boils down to infiltrate some sort of building, kill someone/steal something (somtimes with stealth) or hijack smth. Here and there they throw in a cyberpsycho or boosting a car. But it all feels the same. Some even have a small story in them, but its rare and most do not. Every shard is also the same. Its about 3 paragraphs with a picture of a dude attached to it.

And what is kinda cool is that clearing some of these gigs actually allows you different dialgoue options in the mainstory if you do it beforehand. Not that the outcome is any different or worth the trouble. Its all so unconnected and its absolutely not discernable which side gig is worth pursuing and which one is just the same lame repetition. I used to stop at every yellow dot and do em, but am now just focusing on the main/side missions. The "story" telling inside the gigs is absolutely not worth the time to sit through basically the same mission over and over again

Last edited:
Ye the gigs are def. reminding me of Ubisoft copy paste content. It really just boils down to infiltrate some sort of building, kill someone/steal something (somtimes with stealth) or hijack smth. Here and there they throw in a cyberpsycho or boosting a car. But it all feels the same. Some even have a small story in them, but its rare and most do not. Every shard is also the same. Its about 3 paragraphs with a picture of a dude attached to it.

And what is kinda cool is that clearing some of these gigs actually allows you different dialgoue options in the mainstory if you do it beforehand. Not that the outcome is any different or worth the trouble. Its all so unconnected and its absolutely not discernable which side gig is worth pursing and which one is just the same lame repetition. I used to stop at every yellow dot and do em, but am now just focusing on the main/side missions. The "story" telling inside the gigs is absolutely not worth the time to sit through basically the same mission over and over again

Like this system dumb to NPCs... copy/paste from GTA 3... all NPCs are the same person or have the same brain...and all are rude... something that irritates, the absence of interactivity.

And what is kinda cool is that clearing some of these gigs actually allows you different dialgoue options in the mainstory if you do it beforehand. Not that the outcome is any different or worth the trouble. Its all so unconnected and its absolutely not discernable which side gig is worth pursing and which one is just the same lame repetition. I used to stop at every yellow dot and do em, but am now just focusing on the main/side missions. The "story" telling inside the gigs is absolutely not worth the time to sit through basically the same mission over and over again

it pains me to say this, but I believe even the first GTA had more variety in its missions than what we see with the gigs in Cyberpunk...
though yes, we do have variety with the side-quests, I'm talking specifically about the gigs which are similar to how GTA works, doing illegal stuff and all.

Lol that escalated quickly! Loved the emotinal ride while reading this!
But I partly agree with you. Gigs are alright, but we need more in depth, multi arch sidequests. Preferably with impact on the main story. But apparently at this point I am being entitled and having too high of expectations.

I can't believe how someone could say that side quests are fun in this game...like whoch side quests? The ones with Judy and Panam? Well maybe, but I consider those to be somehow main quests, you just don't need to do them.
But other than that those gigs and other missions are just rubbish. I cleared everything in Watson and in Westbrook. Now I can't even name a gig that was somehow interesting, somehow different than others. Why? Cause all feel the same, go there and steal, hack, stealth or kill...and in the end a phone call closes the gig and tells you how awesome you were. Like...there's no interaction with the world not even in side quests. I can't believe how can someone say these missions are better than in Valhalla, even in Valhalla you can see more variety

Top Bottom