I simply can't get this game to work, please help.

+
The game just keeps crashing on my PC - basically game freezes my entire PC, everything is stuck and nothing helps but a total restart.

These are my specs:

Hard disc: KINGSTON SV300S37A240G (SSD)
Video card: GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER
Processor: Intel Core i5-4590 3.30GHz
RAM: 16GB
Windows 10 64-bit

I just simply can't get this game to work, no matter what I do. I've tried following some guides as to changing the settings of my video card but it just doesn't work.

What's really strange is I've managed to run this game before successfully on the same PC some years ago when I had an inferior card - GeForce GTX 970. I have no idea how this game doesn't work anymore when my video card is significantly stronger.

I am able to run Batman Arkham Knight on everything ultra with 90FPS with literally zero effort but this game just doesn't want to run for some reason.

Any ideas? I am happy to provide any additional information.

Did you install any mods?

Are you overclocking or underclocking your CPU, GPU and/or RAM?

Definitely make sure to close all non-essential background applications (especially apps with overlay), for example GeForce Experience, Riva Tuner, MSI Afterburner, MSI Gaming app, Fraps, Uplay...

Also keep in mind that newer GPU drivers can cause problems. It‘s possible that rolling back to an older GPU driver version can fix the problem.

No idea if it will help in your case, but reinstalling Microsoft Visual C++ would be another idea. Links for that can be found here: https://support.cdprojektred.com/en/witcher-3/pc/sp-technical/issue/1003/the-game-is-not-launching-2

No mods as I don't like them usually. Completely cleaned fresh vanilla installation of the Game of the Year Witcher 3 steam edition.

PC is not overclocked or underclocked (I'm not technical enough to know these things) but it's powerful enough to run the new game Control with the advanced ray-tracing on ultra settings without any FPS drop.

That's why I am baffled I can't run Witcher 3 and the game freezes.

All non-essential apps are switched off.

All my drivers are updated. I've even followed some advice and tuned the video-card specifically for this game based on some forum guides here as to how to optimize the game.

I am just baffled how I've upgraded my PC (which previously could run this game 4-5 years ago) and now for some reason it can't handle it and the game freezes when I run newer games on 90FPS ultra with advanced ray tracing without any issue. My PC can definitely handle the game.

Hmmm...anything else you could potentially think about?

The video drivers could be causing it, as @devivre suggests. Some other things to try:

1.) Run the installation / repair for all Microsoft Redistributables. Be sure to do this for DirectX 11/12 and DirectX 9.0c as well.

2.) Be sure the Permissions for the ...\Documents\The Witcher 3\... directory are set to "Everyone".

3.) Also, if the game is installed anywhere under the Program Files or Program Files(x86) directory, move it to the root of your drive. Protected directories can create all sorts of issues with games.

Sild

Ex-moderator
If you changed the video card but kept the user files/preferences of the game from before the change, that could be your problem. Sometimes uninstalling a game won't clear the user settings log especially if it's a Steam version of it.

I'd recommend checking if that's the case by googling how to edit/remove The Witcher 3 user settings. Sorry to not be of more help, it hasn't happened to me, but i know people that had it happen to them.

Top Bottom