I think at this point the developers need some brutal honesty without anyone being rude

+
Devs; I love Gwent. It's a fun game and I have 2 accounts which I use but there are some serious, serious issues which keep getting ignored. This ios going to itemize the current problems as I see them and as I see others mention them.

1. Some gold card combos are imbalanced beyond all belief.

This ranges from Detlaff nonsense to NG re-using their leader ability 3x in a turn, etc, etc, etc. The theme is very common though: some gold card combinations are horrendously broken and Defender cards simply augment this.

2. Seize and stealing the opponent's cards via any other method is not okay.

Look, Earth has pretty much universally agreed that stealing is bad and yet you keep adding more and more seize cards. Even if this isn't really a balance issue; it's a frustration issue. Nobody likes their crap being stolen. Actually, let's do a thought exercise right now. Lets say I walk up to you and take your phone for the next day. It's only for a day so it's not permanent but how does this make you feel? How does another person taking your stuff make you feel?

This is why seize is a stupid, stupid mechanic and crap like this will literally drive people away from Gwent. My Girlfriend won't even consider playing the game because of stuff like this and I've tried to encourage her to play the game.

3. The Scenarios are all awfully balanced and should be reworked completely as a concept.

Pretty much all the Scenarios are silly, some moreso than others but what's even worse is freaking bomb heavers can destroy them. They're big plays with big risk and are a problem because of it, because when a Scenario is played there's a good chance someone is not going to have a whole lot of fun.

In closing; regardless of balance, the issues of the game largely stem from mechanics that are blatantly anti fun. From Scenarios being obtuse to those very scenarios being destroyed by bronze cards to Detlaff spam to NG re-enabling their leader ability non-stop to seize and the addition of even more seize cards this month...

Are you trying to kill the game? Because that's the road you're heading down right now.

DC9V

Forum veteran
Hello, I'm not a native english speaker but I'll try to speak to you.
You can tech yourself against any kind of combo. "beyond all beliefs" probably means that you ran into a deck or tactic that you've never seen before. Try to adapt. Take notes or record a video of your matches if you want to improve.
2. Seize and stealing the opponent's cards via any other method is not okay. [...]
My Girlfriend won't even consider playing the game because of stuff like this and I've tried to encourage her to play the game.
Your girlfriend doesn't like playing gwent, so you're gonna blame the devs? Bruh...
3. The Scenarios are all awfully balanced and should be reworked completely as a concept.
Pretty much all the Scenarios are silly, some moreso than others but what's even worse is freaking bomb heavers can destroy them. They're big plays with big risk and are a problem because of it, because when a Scenario is played there's a good chance someone is not going to have a whole lot of fun.
I love Scenarios. The only problem I see is that it has been a while since they were announced so the potential is kinda maxed out, and people really know how to make use of them. I can see that it can be frustrating as a fresh player.
Are you trying to kill the game? Because that's the road you're heading down right now.
Do you really think that they are trying to destroy themselves? xD

I'd rather say: At this point the developers need some love without anyone being blind.

Peace.

Edit - for the record, only replying to point 2, the others I partially agree with.

The whole game (and Witcher world) is kind of filled with various unpleasantries of war - numerous cards and premiums complete with the horrible audio/visual effects.

In this context, stealing is nothing out of the ordinary. In some ways one of the far lesser evils compared with other things.

As long as the game mechanic has counterplay, it should be fine - currently it's not too bad, though can certainly see some potential for overpowered interactions with the coming expansion.

Otherwise I liken it to rogues/trickster classes in any PvP game - usually taking excessive hate because they don't fight "fair".

Guest 4375874

Devs; I love Gwent. It's a fun game and I have 2 accounts which I use but there are some serious, serious issues which keep getting ignored. This ios going to itemize the current problems as I see them and as I see others mention them.

This ranges from Detlaff nonsense to NG re-using their leader ability 3x in a turn, etc, etc, etc. The theme is very common though: some gold card combinations are horrendously broken and Defender cards simply augment this.

2. Seize and stealing the opponent's cards via any other method is not okay.

Look, Earth has pretty much universally agreed that stealing is bad and yet you keep adding more and more seize cards. Even if this isn't really a balance issue; it's a frustration issue. Nobody likes their crap being stolen. Actually, let's do a thought exercise right now. Lets say I walk up to you and take your phone for the next day. It's only for a day so it's not permanent but how does this make you feel? How does another person taking your stuff make you feel?

This is why seize is a stupid, stupid mechanic and crap like this will literally drive people away from Gwent. My Girlfriend won't even consider playing the game because of stuff like this and I've tried to encourage her to play the game.

In closing; regardless of balance, the issues of the game largely stem from mechanics that are blatantly anti fun. From Scenarios being obtuse to those very scenarios being destroyed by bronze cards to Detlaff spam to NG re-enabling their leader ability non-stop to seize and the addition of even more seize cards this month...

Some points here I agree with and some I don't but I hear your frustration:

1. Detlaffe- I play MO but I don't include him because the meta decks are not fun to play and I don't know why anyone would. But take some solace in the fact that MO players are only spamming him now because against NG double ball/Yen and Damien/VVM they're not very good. All it takes is one OP faction or mechanic i.e. poison to ruin the game for everyone. It's why Endrega Queen and Endrega Larva is now so popular, because everyone is trying to adapt to NG yet NG doesn't have to adapt to them.

2. Seize is integral to NG as a theme so it's unlikely it will be going anywhere and I don't think it should. That said I do believe there are ways to ensure it doesn't feel like your being spammed by a bot.

3. Scenarios only masked the balancing issues and should be done away with.

Guest 4404014

Detlaff nonsense

I see you haven't met Caranthir yet...

stealing the opponent's cards via any other method is not okay.

Definitely not okay. In Texas Hold'Em.

Pretty much all the Scenarios are silly

Hey! My scenarios aren't silly! :disapprove:

This is why seize is a stupid, stupid mechanic and crap like this will literally drive people away from Gwent.

Textbook control rant, that last sentence.

You seem to misunderstand the philosophy of Gwent. Value you are developing on your side of the board is not your property. It's a part of balance that each player tries to tip to their advantage. I have as much right to kill your 6 point unit as you have to put it on the board. By putting it those 6 points on your side you're hurting me just as much as I hurt you by taking those points away (or seizing a 3 point unit). Those acts are at exactly the same level of hostility. It's not about how many points you got but about having more than the other guy.

Last edited by a moderator:
3. Scenarios only masked the balancing issues and should be done away with.

CDPR needs to fish or cut bait on scenarios. Seven months after MoO was released, and we still have the same 6 scenarios that were released with that. Nothing supporting anything in NG other than poison; nothing supporting anything in SK other than druids/beasts, etc.

And I don’t know that the scenarios have or haven’t masked balancing issues, but they’ve certainly created their own, to be sure. At 13-14p, they’re between a good value and an insane value (by comparison, TrissTK and Gascon:Iron Bandit are 10+ provisions to spawn one card. How is it that 14p buys something that can spawn 3?)

The devs have had to nerf other cards and leader abilities to get around the worst of the scenario abuse, but the scenarios remain mostly intact from their release day. And there’s no consistency to the ones that exist now. MB is a full-on tall removal; Siege can play out at a 20-pt swing; Feign Death is “nice”, but takes Vernossiel for the real payoff. Haunt’s just a support unit for Deathwish, etc.

My hope is that they either finish the job and round them out and cost them appropriately, or get rid of them altogether. They weren’t a bad idea, but as is, the job was nowhere near done.

Last edited:

Guest 4375874

CDPR needs to fish or cut bait on scenarios. Seven months after MoO was released, and we still have the same 6 scenarios that were released with that. Nothing supporting anything in NG other than poison spam; nothing supporting anything in SK other than druids/beasts, etc.

And I don’t know that the scenarios have or haven’t masked balancing issues, but they’ve certainly created their own, to be sure. At 13-14p, they’re between a good value and an insane value (by comparison, TrissTK and Gascon:Iron Bandit are 10+ provisions to spawn one card. How is it that 14p buys something that can spawn 3?)

The devs have had to nerf other cards and leader abilities to get around the worst of the scenario abuse, but the scenarios remain mostly intact from their release day. And there’s no consistency to the ones that exist now. MB is a full-on tall removal; Siege can play out at a 20-pt swing; Feign Death is “nice”, but takes Vernossiel for the real payoff. Haunt’s just a support unit for Deathwish, etc.

My hope is that they either finish the job and round them out and cost them appropriately, or get rid of them altogether. They weren’t a bad idea, but as is, the job was nowhere near done.
yea, not all scenarios are created equal. I've stopped including scenarios because I feel if mine get's destroyed i'm at a larger disadvantage than other factions and I could use that provision cost to be more adaptive. Yet if I don't include it I do have to ensure I have bomb heaver. You're right it does feel incomplete and not just the cards themselves but the ability to properly counter them as well as those that abuse exploits that give them even more of an advantage.

yea, not all scenarios are created equal. I've stopped including scenarios because I feel if mine get's destroyed i'm at a larger disadvantage than other factions and I could use that provision cost to be more adaptive. Yet if I don't include it I do have to ensure I have bomb heaver. You're right it does feel incomplete and not just the cards themselves but the ability to properly counter them as well as those that abuse exploits that give them even more of an advantage.

Ideally, I think that when a Scenario is destroyed, it should lose it's next phase. This deals with the issue of bronze bomb heavers beating gold scenarios in a 1 for 1 trade.

Of course with that change some Scenarios would likely need to be toned down as well or more Artifact removal that isn't a totally dead draw outside of removal or a trash tier point value needs to be added.

Top Bottom