I think CDPR is hiding something regarding console footage and requirements for ultra PC settings

+
Yes, I know CDPR has said on twitter that "soon" they will talk about the consoles or show something related to consoles. However even then I think it will be Series X or PS5 footage. I think CDPR is just going to punt the ball regarding current gen consoles, especially the vanilla consoles. Why? Because I think CDPR has backed themselves into a wall regarding how they have shown the game thus far which has always been on high end PCs. The screenshots they show and trailers they released I am sure have been on high end PCs. Therefore the vanilla Xbox One owner has this visual image of what CP2077 should look like so when (or if) CDPR shows vanilla Xbox One footage and it is an obvious "downgrade" from what was previously shown, this would disappoint many owners and it is too close to release for CDPR to have to handle some sort of PR fallout. Yes, I understand this is built as a current gen game and therefore will indeed run fine on even the vanilla consoles. However I just find it odd that not only have they not shown any console footage, they have not even talked about it. This is all against the backdrop of Ubisoft beating CDPR to the word by announcing both WDL and AC:Valhalla will run at 4k/30fps on next gen consoles and with WDL, it will be 4k/30fps with RT on. Why cant CDPR come out and say the same thing?

Regarding PC ultra settings, again Ubisoft has outdone CDPR in this department by not only giving detailed requirements for specific builds. CDPR only shows minimum vs recommended settings. Ubisoft showed the same thing but then went on to show you the requirements for specific settings such as 4k/30fps with RT and other configurations. While we are all blown away by the minimum requirements and how such old GPUs will be able to run this game, I think on the opposite end it will require possibly a 3000 series GPU to get the big 4k/30fps/RT on experience. I think CDPR is again going to punt the ball on this because if they come out and reveal that to get the "ultimate" experience for the game requires a 3000 series GPU....something that only a SMALL fraction of PC owners have, it will make CDPR look bad and again, a PR situation CDPR does not want to find themselves in this close to launch.

What I said is just my opinion and I admit much of it is exaggerated tinfoil stuff but it is my opinion indeed. What are your thoughts?

Anybody on console that expects pc performance is deluding themselves, and is most likely a small portion of console gamers.

as for specs, I feel that the ultra setting needs a card that supports rtx. The recommended specs don’t need that. CDPR doesn’t need to announce the highest specs needed as I’m sure the only upgrade needed from recommended to ultra is rtx support.

CDPR is fine compared to Ubisoft

Man i just want to play the bloody game ( shakes fist at the Calendar )

I will be playing on PS4 and i don`t expect the game to look like the PC footage . At the same time i know PS5 / X Box X / S will look better than my old PS4 . As we say Down Under "Such is life " :shrug:
They are providing a PS5 copy if you bought the PS4 one right?

Maybe they will come on "dual-purpose" discs. The game is 70GiB so it should fit on a dual layer Bluray which the PS4 can read. Just learned a dual layer Bluray is only 50GB. If they use 2 discs I suppose they can still do the dual-purpose trick - based on a quick google, PS4 doesn't support the 100GB BDXL format but PS5 does though.

Pure speculation. I don't know. I plan to buy on PC* so I don't track console news much.

* I'm assuming my old i7-7700, 16 GiB RAM and 1070Ti 8GiB will survive running it on medium. Once this PC kicks the bucket, maybe I will go laptop and PS5 - so tired of dealing with weird DRM in games and driver problems; might actually be cheaper too.

Last edited:
They know that if people see the ps4 or xbox one gameplay, that people will scream "DOWNGRADE!!!!". Then they will post comparison images on twitter without context saying how the graphics are downgraded, and it won't look good. Reasonable people will expect the console versions to look bad compared to pc versions side by side, but social media isn't reasonable and even journalists might pick it up and make clickbait stories about it.

Also, it doesn't really matter what Ubisoft is doing, because they're not really directly competing with CDPR. If anything, Ubisoft needs to go out of their way to convince people buying CP2077 to also buy their game, not the other way around.

I actually kind of agree here with CDPR. They have nothing to gain from showing gameplay of the inferior console versions.

They know that if people see the ps4 or xbox one gameplay, that people will scream "DOWNGRADE!!!!".
Will there be noticeable downgrades? Frankly, Cyberpunk isn't exactly a graphical tour de force from what I have seen so far. The graphics I'm seeing I don't consider outside the capabilities of the PS4/Xbone. It will probably be capped at 30fps on PS4/Xbone but that's about it.

Will there be downgrades? Frankly, Cyberpunk isn't exactly a graphical tour de force from what I have seen so far. The graphics I'm seeing I don't consider outside the capabilities of the PS4/Xbone. It will probably be capped at 30fps on PS4/Xbone but that's about it.

Well there definitely won't be ray tracing, and graphics would need to be upscaled to 4K on current consoles. So I would be very surprised if there isn't a downgrade in graphics quality on consoles.

They are providing a PS5 copy if you bought the PS4 one right?

Maybe they will come on "dual-purpose" discs. The game is 70GiB so it should fit on a dual layer Bluray which the PS4 can read.Pure speculation. I don't know. I plan to buy on PC* so I don't track console news much.* I'm assuming my old i7-7700, 16 GiB RAM and 1070Ti 8GiB will survive running it on medium. Once this PC kicks the bucket, maybe I will go laptop and PS5 - so tired of dealing with weird DRM in games and driver problems; might actually be cheaper too.

The way @pinoko explained it will be digital not disc .

CyberBrett said:

Just to clarify will we get a free disk or will we have to pay for it ?
Sorry if I didn't follow you, but "the" disk I said above means the one you already have as long as you purchase the physical copy of Cyberpunk 2077. When you upgrade to the next gen, you're only required to have the next console with "disk drive" for verification process as such. So for example: you purchase PS5 standard version and CP2077 PS4 version on physical copy , then (when the time comes) you have to insert PS4 disk into PS5 for verification (that means "you own CP2077!"). After that, upgrade process to PS5 version will commence; that's what I understand.

I think it is obvious:
The graphical downgrade between a PC version and PS4/XB1 version is such, that it wouldn't be a good sell. Sure it will run, and you enjoy playing it, but it wouldn't look good when compared to the rest of the footage. Besides, the dumb public wouldn't even understand the difference and start a riot.

I don't think they're hiding anything.
What they are showing us is the best version of the game: pc version with maximum settings, ray tracing and all, and of course it's running on a very high end pc. Also when they let a few journalists play the game in june they used a high end pc (I remember them talking about a RTX 2080). It's ok, it's marketing, they want to show the best version of the game they have.
Of course on consoles it won't run as you see in trailers now. Take ray tracing out of the picture. Less detail, draw distance, textures and effects. probably less resolution (dynamic resolution helps the performance) and lower framerate. Of course it's gonna look not as good as the PC maxed out version. How much we don't know yet. But if you want the best version, don't get CP on PS4.
But every informed gamer should know that.

I agree with what dacosmicegg said above, the question to me is: Does it make a huge difference to the playability? Or in other words, do you have the same great experience on consoles? Right now i am not sure whether to go with the PS 4 version or upgrade my PC. Therefore a little bit of footage would be helpful. And yes i know, these are first world problems ;).

I agree with what dacosmicegg said above, the question to me is: Does it make a huge difference to the playability? Or in other words, do you have the same great experience on consoles?

Having less graphics quality in a game does not affect the gameplay, unless the game is completely broken and doesn't render what is needed on screen. But I don't think that's the case. Having a lower resolution is something you don't even notice ( games like FFVIIR sometimes go below 1080p, but it's really hard to notice unless you have a huuuuuuge TV or screen).
The only thing that can affect the gameplay is framerate, but not necessarily. If you come from a 60fps game, playing this a 30 may be hard at first sight. But if framerate and frame pacing are stable, you will get used to it after a few minutes and it's going to be fine (this is my personal experience).
The game was developed for this generation of consoles, I wouldn't worry too much.

Will there be noticeable downgrades? Frankly, Cyberpunk isn't exactly a graphical tour de force from what I have seen so far. The graphics I'm seeing I don't consider outside the capabilities of the PS4/Xbone. It will probably be capped at 30fps on PS4/Xbone but that's about it.

So you are saying vanilla Xbox One will look EXACTLY like the Nvidia RTX CP2077 trailer but just with 30fps? Are you really implying this?
Post automatically merged:

I think it is obvious:
The graphical downgrade between a PC version and PS4/XB1 version is such, that it wouldn't be a good sell. Sure it will run, and you enjoy playing it, but it wouldn't look good when compared to the rest of the footage. Besides, the dumb public wouldn't even understand the difference and start a riot.

Thus my point exactly.

Man i just want to play the bloody game ( shakes fist at the Calendar )

I will be playing on PS4 and i don`t expect the game to look like the PC footage . At the same time i know PS5 / X Box X / S will look better than my old PS4 . As we say Down Under "Such is life " :shrug:

Same, most people just want to play it and don't care much about graphics by the time they're ok and the game runs smooth.

They know that if people see the ps4 or xbox one gameplay, that people will scream "DOWNGRADE!!!!". Then they will post comparison images on twitter without context saying how the graphics are downgraded, and it won't look good. Reasonable people will expect the console versions to look bad compared to pc versions side by side, but social media isn't reasonable and even journalists might pick it up and make clickbait stories about it.
Some people just can't seem to grasp a $300 console can't compare to a $3000 PC.

So you are saying vanilla Xbox One will look EXACTLY like the Nvidia RTX CP2077 trailer but just with 30fps? Are you really implying this?
That's why I added "noticeable".

Consoles are probably going to run with medium settings @ 30fps with occasional drops. It won't look too different from PC on "High" or "Very High" in the sense that you will probably have to look for said differences to spot them - e.g. maybe a sharper, more accurate reflection here and there on PC, maybe a difference in ambient lighting where the PC version with ray tracing is more accurate but baked lighting on console doesn't exactly look bad either.

Also note that resolution scaling is now pretty common.

It's unlikely there will be a night and day difference like with Ubisoft hype videos and the actual game delivered.

PS: This game is made with current gen consoles in mind. Like the majority of games, its art and design is build around the limitations of current gen consoles. "High" and "Very High" settings on PCs just turn up specific features - more often than not, yielding ~5% better graphics at the cost of ~60% increase in GPU power required; numbers are illustrative but you get the idea.

It's unlikely there will be a night and day difference like with Ubisoft hype videos and the actual game delivered.
There probably won't be. But some folks will be looking for any difference in order to complain.

No matter what you do, or don't do, someone will be offended.

Personally I'm amazed what they manage to get out of consoles. It just goes to show how much good optimization can effect a game.

In my honest opinion, I think that Cyberpunk2077 (which has such amazingly reasonable requirements) will probably manage to look pretty awesome on both PC and Consoles. I've always loved consoles in the past, but I'll be sticking with PC because I love modding so much. But with that being said, my point is that since the requirements are so reasonable, I feel like in my opinion the game is going to look decent no matter what you're playing it on (as long as it meets the minimum requirements) :shrug:

Top Bottom