I think NG+ may pose some difficulties. My observation so far in White Orchard.

+
Archgriffin decotion will do the trick. Dodge (dont roll) and as soon as you have more stamina attack. You will deal 10% of the griffins HP every time you hit it as long as you have full stamina.

I think it's working as long as you have stamina, no matter how much.

Well it was hard at first on regular NG,maybe it will become easy midway through as well....but we will have to wait and see

Apologies if this has already been brought up, but can someone tell me how Witcher gear works in NewGame + mode?

I ended the game at level 34 with Mastercrafted Wolven Witcher gear. When you start NG+, are you expected to go through and repeat the treasure hunt quests in order to unlock the legendary Witcher gear that I have been hearing about in this thread? And are there four tiers to the legendary Witcher gear? Thanks!

Apologies if this has already been brought up, but can someone tell me how Witcher gear works in NewGame + mode?

I ended the game at level 34 with Mastercrafted Wolven Witcher gear. When you start NG+, are you expected to go through and repeat the treasure hunt quests in order to unlock the legendary Witcher gear that I have been hearing about in this thread? And are there four tiers to the legendary Witcher gear? Thanks!

Yes, what you said.

Yes, what you said.

You will be getting the Legendary versions of those gears (normal, enhanced, superior, mastercrafted). The locations are the same as in 1st playtrough.
I'm at level 70 (max level) with legendary mastercrafted griffin armor and swords (level 64).

I've killed the Gryphin in White Orchard at my first try, NG+, simply by using igni ( maxed out ). Burning like a witch :> But, wolves are causing me trouble. I'm quite interested how progression and development of armor/swords will go in NG+. For example if a have a mastercrafted ursine and cat, i will be good using them just for beggining, then i'l have to craft legendary ursine, cat etc? That's the only thing that makes sense to me.

Sounds like the only thing that's more difficult is the wolves. They were always a pain in the beginning anyway cuz of the way they attack. I started a new game a few days ago and dunno if I should do a new game+ instead. Idk if having all my old armor and all skills is something I'd like. I had this build where I heavily used the battle trance skills so my adrenaline points would make my signs 100 percent and always hsve effects..then I had a few signs upgraded and enough alchemy so I could drink 2 decoctions and some potions. Geralt was a beast...but I dunno if I wanna be like that from the get go.

I played on blood and broken first time cuz it was first witcher I played. So now I'm on death March. Idk if I should slog through white orchard and beginning of Velen again.

Last edited:
For me wolves were never an issue. It's just like with everything on Death March. Don't let them hit you and you're fine. Quen before the fight is fine, it allows a mistake, but I don't waste time on it during the fight. Don't let them surround you, as one hit will make you stagger and let the rest of the pack finish you off (there are ways to get rid of the stagger effect, though). Also, I tend to fight during the night as the Towny Owl elixir (was it the name? I've played the game in Polish and Russian recently, and I can't recall the English name) doesn't expire then. And I love all the area effectcs. Igni (igni is waaaaay overpowered in the game, it makes all fights too easy), aard do make me feel sorry for the packs. Yrden works fine, but yrden implies stationary, defensive strategy. I don't like it. I tend to fight actively and take initiative (it's kind of funny when a woolf runs away from me and I have to chase it through half of the woods).

NG+ doesn't seem to be much harder on DM than the non NG+. Due to the choice I have, it's actually easier. I've got all master gear and weapons to choose from, based on situation and quite a few clear potions (was it the name?) if I have to change the setup completely (but I believe, once I reach lv 50 or so, I won't need them anymore, as I'll have all the skills I use at desired level, so I'll be able to simply change the setup).

Last edited:
You will be getting the Legendary versions of those gears (normal, enhanced, superior, mastercrafted). The locations are the same as in 1st playtrough.
I'm at level 70 (max level) with legendary mastercrafted griffin armor and swords (level 64).

Jesus, how did you get to level 70 already? The NG+ mode has only been out for a few days.

If I may I will answer the questionn addressed to me....
I finished the 1st playthrough at level 40 did everything 100% (second hardest difficulty).
Second playthrough I only did as many quests as to get the best griffin gear, since I knew those were the only difference.
Since I already did everything and did not see any point on doing the very same things again (for more than 100 hours) I thought I will only be leveling.
First I started with drowners under water about 30 xp I think each.
Then on skellige Isle, where the cyclops is at the mountain top, on each side of that area there are groups of harpies, killing 7 of them gave about 250 xp.
Meditate 1 hour they are there again. I leveled to 50 using this.
Then I killed the lvl 60 cyclops a few times but took too long, so started killing Basilisk ( level 62 I think) near Destroyed Bastion.
With this I gained 5 more levels. After that they did not give any more xp than 20, so I tried out the Path of Power xp bug in the game, which helps you gain 1 level in 5 minutes :)

Last edited:
I am loving NG+ much more than I expected. I finished my first play through at Death March like 1 month ago and I started yesterday NG+ at the same difficulty. Well, the game has not become more difficult than my first play through (it is actually far easier if you simply follow the main quest) BUT it offers new exciting challenges because now It’s a complete different game!
Let me explain: the first 15 levels in DM during my first play through were probably the most difficult part of the game but since I relied only on food sustain and the few potions and things I had, I couldn’t obviously roam in the map and kill the bandits 10 levels above me or doing some over leveled quest like the mine witcher contract. Now instead I have almost every superior potion and bomb plus almost all decoction. I killed a 63 level Archas at level 38 and even clearing a bandit camp is now quite challenging and entertaining. To sum up, I think NG+ is awesome not because it is more difficult than the original DM but because it gives you the truly freedom of a veteran Witcher with all the knowledge and the tools needed to face every challenge. Furthermore it is much more fun fighting against monsters and human with all the skills unlocked because it gives you really more variety in combat. During the first play through you achieve this variety and strategic possibilites only when the game is not more a challenge, now I really like using decoctions or different skills according to the situation.

Last edited:
Ekhidna decoction, Quen, cat skills, crits, crits, crits, insta-kill. NG+ is a breeze. I only roll.... TW2 school. Dodge only on fist fights. =)

I am loving NG+ much more than I expected. I finished my first play through at Death March like 1 month ago and I started yesterday NG+ at the same difficulty. Well, the game has not become more difficult than my first play through (it is actually far easier if you simply follow the main quest) BUT it offers new exciting challenges because now It’s a complete different game!
Let me explain: the first 15 levels in DM during my first play through were probably the most difficult part of the game but since I relied only on food sustain and the few potions and things I had, I couldn’t obviously roam in the map and kill the bandits 10 levels above me or doing some over leveled quest like the mine witcher contract. Now instead I have almost every superior potion and bomb plus almost all decoction. I killed a 63 level Archas at level 38 and even clearing a bandit camp is now quite challenging and entertaining. To sum up, I think NG+ is awesome not because it is more difficult than the original DM but because it gives you the truly freedom of a veteran Witcher with all the knowledge and the tools needed to face every challenge. Furthermore it is much more fun fighting against monsters and human with all the skills unlocked because it gives you really more variety in combat. During the first play through you achieve this variety and strategic possibilites only when the game is not more a challenge, now I really like using decoctions or different skills according to the situation.
couldn't have said it better myself. :)

@Estaim
Couldn't agree more.

I knew I'll love this mode. I really like the new balance, the fact that lower level enemies can still be dangerous and higher or red skull enemies aren't a serious death threat when you're prepared really makes the game and fights much more enjoyable. I feel like I'm free to go any route I want in terms of both exploration and quest order. I don't care about suggested level for quests anymore, I did Ladies of the Woods part but skipped for now Bloody Baron (haven't met him) and Novigrad part and went directly to Skellige. The thing I like the most is that I can from the start rely on potions and decoctions and adapt my playstyle and skills to the situation. And that gives the incredible variety in fights. Man, I love the preparation aspect, I didn't pay attention to that so much during my first playthrough. I stick to mastercrafted wolven armor and ursine swords at level 34 and don't intend to change it for a while, it's great you can have from the start the gear with some nice bonusses. I slayed level 53 fiend guarding chest (while being level 42 but still with level 34 gear) and it wasn't specially hard but it really was much more fun and felt more satisfying because I took some time to actually prepare and adapt my skills for the fight to be more effective. For me NG+ is the point where this game actually starts making the vanilla game very long tutorial in terms of game mechanics and a place to just enjoy the story. Now when playing NG+ I'm planning to leave most of the witcher contracts and non respawnable monsters for end game to have something to do after completing main and side quests, then just keep reverting save. I don't want to end up with only high level guards or couple low level monsters again.

Top Bottom