I want a Yennefer/Geralt prequel

+
I want a Yennefer/Geralt prequel

I'm in my third playthrough (in DM this time, I dumped the second to start again in DM) and I'm at the point where I have to start choosing Triss vs Yennefer. I'm trying to choose Yen this time (I chose Triss before) but my God it's hard to do, I feel a complete jerk being 'unloving' towards Triss. Seriously, I feel far more than I should over a game!

My heart says Triss 110%, for purely OOC reasons: Triss is far more the type I would go for in RL, I don't know anything about Yen and have only the information and experience from W1-W3 to go on (never having read the books), and I really don't care for much of the way Yen seems to treat Geralt in W3. It just seems to have no context for me really, as a player.

So I find it difficult In-Character to choose Yen, and actually enjoy playing that way. I'm trying to foster the 'finally re-united with love of life' feeling towards Yen but I could do with some help...

...hence, "I want a Geralt/Yennefer Prequal" to the trilogy, where I can get to know her.

I doubt it will happen, but since I've had to take time out from playing to come to terms with rejecting Triss, I thought that I might as well say something.

Right... back to feeling like a jerk and killing mosters.

sidv88

Forum regular
I'm just wondering when such a prequel would take place...? A good timeframe might be when Yen and Geralt lived together in Vengerberg for a year, which is frequently referenced in the books but (as far as I know) never directly depicted.

There is a Yennefer/Geralt prequel already available: numerous novels written by that Sapkowski guy... ;)

...but that would mean reading a book...

Yeah, I guess that is the only likely answer, really. I used to read a lot, but haven't for many years now. Maybe I should buy a book... after I finish this playthrough of course.

After Season of storms, I want a Geralt / Astrid Lyttneyd Asgeirrfinnbjornsdottir prequel...:D

Last edited:
...but that would mean reading a book...

Yeah, I guess that is the only likely answer, really. I used to read a lot, but haven't for many years now. Maybe I should buy a book... after I finish this playthrough of course.

Maybe you should do that. You know, reading books is actually a quite nice occupation. ;)

Last edited:
I wouldn't say 'no' to it, but i don't think they will make one. That game would be too limited by the books, especially if they just turn the books into a videogame.

If you want to know the history of them, you should read the books.

What happens before the events of the trilogy is Sapkowskis lair... I doubt CDPR will want to go there directly. They might not even have the rights to do so, not sure...

But yeah... I recently started with the books and it's totally worth it (I'm not a big reader myself but I like the books a lot so far...)

Last edited:
If you liked the games, you will love the books in my opinion. It's weird to say, since the games came after the books, but the books have the same atmosphere, cleverness and development as the games and i also think many people will be more happy with how the politics were dealt in the books compared to Witcher 3.

So all in all if you think that Witcher 3 didn't fulfilled your expectations or you just want more, maybe the books can surprise you then, maybe make the experience with the games even better.

I am also not a vivid reader, but i read all books in two weeks, best fantasy winter ever :)

Ey watcha talkin about, reading books is actually awesome, especially books that are related to a game, if you want to truly enjoy it, you will, by reading the books.

Besides, books are cool, you learn lots of things by reading them. Show them some love, I would take a picture of my room, I've got like more than 20 books related to different games right behind me, but meh. I'm lazy.

What is wrong with reading a book :( ?

This is what I was talking about people... seems like book reading is scary now :(

Nothing wrong about books really, it's just no books will ever allow me to CHOOSE an happy ending with Triss over the one you can get with Yen in the books.

Nothing wrong about books really, it's just no books will ever allow me to CHOOSE an happy ending with Triss over the one you can get with Yen in the books.

Of course a book can. Just write your own one... :p

Nothing wrong with writing your own version of events you know :)
Imagination.... books have inspired that for thousands of years. Games are the newcommer here, that ought respect its elder :) !

The books dont really end on a happy end :p

Nothing wrong with writing your own version of events you know

Yes of course but it's not the same, and my imagination never go wild by reading a book, not as much as it does by playing video games or good old RPG.

Games are the newcommer here, that ought respect its elder !

Don't get me wrong I'm not the one who are going to say video games are better than books or anything like that. We need books, films and video games because they all enrich each other (well most of the time.... maybe the movie DragonBall Evolution.....:facepalm: but that 's another story).

The books dont really end on a happy end :p

Yes and sometimes it's better this way but most of the time it's frustrating and not as enjoyable as your choice could be. C'mon don't tell me you prefers the end of books to the one from the game....

Last edited:
Yes of course but it's not the same, and my imagination never go wild by reading a book, not as much as it does by playing video games or good old RPG.

Don't get me wrong I'm not the one who are going to say video games are better than books or anything like that. We need books, films and video games because they all enrich each other (well most of the time.... maybe the movie about bragon ball.....:facepalm: but that 's another story).

Yes and sometimes it's better this way but most of the time it's frustrating and not as enjoyable as your choice could be. C'mon don't tell me you prefers the end of books to the one from the game....

Well... if that is how your imagination works. It is about equal to me, only quality matters really.

I have a very high amount of gripes with the game's ending. I still liked it... but :(
Maybe more than Sapkowski going all GoT Season 5 Episode 10 on us. But still...

"Something ends Something Begins" is the perfect ending for me. Or a modified version of it with some level of player choice. That would have been nice

The only thing though, here, is to read the books. I think you read them, but the OP has not. Till someone good (not like what HBO did to A Song of Ice and Fire) adapts them into a glorious TV series (and even then) they are your only option.

Ive had worse options in life :p

Actually the end of the books is neither truly happy nor truly sad. It's ambigious and Sapkowski masterfully created an ending that is open enough to give every reader the chance making out of it whatever they see fit. If you want the books to have a happy ending you can see it that way. You can be convinced of the opposite just as easily. It really depends on the reader and his own desires and imagination. That's something many people don't get when talking about the end of the books. It's full of emotions and full of sadness but at the same time it's full of warm feelings and hope. It presses the whole atmosphere and philosophy of the novels in a few pages. A worthy end. The Uroboros eats its own tail.

Something ends, something begins.

Last edited:
Top Bottom