I want YOUR face for a game I'm making

+
I want YOUR face for a game I'm making

I want your face! Yes, YOURS!

Want to be in a computer game?

I'm making a computer game, and I need a lot of photographs of people.

I need young people, old people, middle-aged people, children, babies -- every age group. I need all races and ethnicities. I need a few pretty people, a hell of a lot of ordinary-looking people, and some fairly unattractive people.

In other words, I need YOU!

My game is set in the US, but the thing about the US is that people from all over the world have moved here and made this place their home. So no matter where you live now or what you look like, someone in America looks a lot like you. Plus, the game will be set in a university town, so in addition to American citizens, the game will also have some characters who are foreign students studying abroad. Really, no matter what you look like, I can use you!

I'm a beginning independent game developer, and I have NO budget, so unfortunately, I can't pay you. IF I manage to finish the game, and IF it meets my standards once it's done, I MIGHT try to sell it for around $5. But it's possible that I won't manage to finish the project or that I'll decide that it isn't good enough to release as anything but freeware, possibly even that it isn't good enough to release at all. And even if I finish it, like it, and try to sell it, it's extremely, overwhelmingly probable that no one will buy it or that I'll sell a handful of copies for a tiny amount, because that's what happens to most indie games. If I, myself, make a penny per hour for my work, I'll be surprised.

BUT, if I use your picture, I'll give you a free version of the game if/when it's released. I wish I could offer more, but unfortunately, I haven't GOT more. But I figure that by giving you a game, I'm giving you the right to call yourself a professional model. If you got paid (even if just in a game that costs $5), then you're a pro, right?

Pictures might be used as is, but it's quite likely that they'll be comicified, like this:

Original photo:

Cartoon version:

If you're willing to let me use your picture, I'll need you to sign a Model's Release, which will basically say that you know that I intend to use this picture in a computer game, and that's okay, you signed up for that.

If you'd like to be in the game, then please see this page for details. (I've said "I want your face," but that was just to be cute; I'd actually like pictures from the waist up, if possible.)

So, want to be in a computer game?

Thanks!

Pandoricai said:
I'm here to represent the 'fairly unattractive'
We should all be as "unattractive" as you. :rolleyes:

Silly woman -- you're lovely.

Pandoricai said:
http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r208/horsasa/proof/bleh.png or

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r208/horsasa/proof/icefairy8-1.jpg
That's sweet of you, but I can't use anyone's pictures unless I have a model release from them. Could you go to the Information for Models page and download the model release? You'll find the address to send it to on that page, as well. Thanks!

Pandoricai said:
Good luck with this, by the way :D
Thank you! I know from making several different adventures for TW1 that it takes a LONG time and a LOT of work to make a game. But you know the secret? MAKING games is the best game of all!

I can only wish you good luck Cory! ;) As for the paying method, have you considered something based on donations? It worked out pretty well for Bay 12 Games (Dwarf Fortress: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=110689.0 ), although it is more uncertain than a fixed price, but it makes the game more accessible to the public and the gamers can be pretty generous too. It is only your choice. :)

DeargRuadhri said:
I can only wish you good luck Cory! ;)
Thank you! I can use all the luck I can get. :cool:

DeargRuadhri said:
As for the paying method, have you considered something based on donations? It worked out pretty well for Bay 12 Games (Dwarf Fortress: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=110689.0 ), although it is more uncertain than a fixed price, but it makes the game more accessible to the public and the gamers can be pretty generous too. It is only your choice. :)
I'm a very long way from completion, so nothing's set in stone. I was only mentioning my financial prospects to explain why I wasn't offering to pay models in real money. I offered a voice actor homemade cookies the other day ... that's the kind of budget I'm on.

Did the voice actor accept? (just because I'm curious)

*just checked page linked. Any restrictions/ requests for image quality you'd like, or for image size?

Hi :D Could I ask a question? I like to partecipate, but I have very few pictures here (only happy and dressed to kill type..), can I send you these one anyway? There is a time limit to send you our pictures?

Is it a horror game? Any zombie apocalypses in there? Or perhaps a horribly failed medical experiment? If the answer to all of the above is no, then I don't think my face would qualify. :)

Treasa said:
Did the voice actor accept? (just because I'm curious)
I discovered that the voice actor lives in Brazil, so cookies would be stale by the time they got to him. And really, voice acting is the LAST step, and I'm nowhere near that stage. But he mentioned that he does voices, and I wanted to sound him out...

Treasa said:
*just checked page linked. Any restrictions/ requests for image quality you'd like, or for image size?
I'd prefer that they not be cell phone pictures. But really, at this point, I'll take anything.

Treasa said:
Hi :D Could I ask a question? I like to partecipate, but I have very few pictures here (only happy and dressed to kill type..), can I send you these one anyway?
Major characters will need several different pictures ... but minor characters only need one or two. Sure, I'd be happy to have your pictures. The instructions are for people who are excited by the idea of participating and who plan to take new pictures for the project. But there are a LOT of characters in my game, so I'll need photos from many people, some of whom won't be motivated to take new pictures just for me. The one thing I can't compromise on is the model release, because I can't afford to be sued. ;)

Treasa said:
There is a time limit to send you our pictures?
I'd love to have the pictures right away, of course. ;) But making a game takes a LONG time, so I will probably still have a use for pictures that I get a year from now. The sooner I get a set of pictures, the more likely it will be that the person in them will be a major character ... but if I haven't come here and said, "My game is out," then you can still send them. :D

Treasa said:
Is it a horror game? Any zombie apocalypses in there? Or perhaps a horribly failed medical experiment? If the answer to all of the above is no, then I don't think my face would qualify. :)
*laugh* Cute!

No, it's not a horror game. But I intend to have most of the characters look like real people, not like movie stars. There's some free art that I could have used for my game, but it's in Japanese manga style, so all of the characters have enormous eyes, barely-there noses, and enough hair for three people. I want real-looking people, ones with big noses or shaggy eyebrows or crooked teeth. And you know, someone who is interestingly ugly would make a great character. I can imagine having a character whose backstory is that s/he was splashed by acid in a lab or mangled in a car accident or something -- and that would provide depth and richness to the character that prettier people wouldn't have.

It's your choice, of course. But I'm pretty sure that there's no one who's so unattractive that I can't use them. Part of what the pictures are for is to use in the game. But part of what they're for is to stimulate my imagination while I'm writing the character. The less a character looks just like everybody else, the more interesting a backstory they can have. And since this will be a story-heavy game with a lot of emphasis on the player's relationships with the NPC's, that's all to the good!

Ok :D I'm glad if I could help.. Then, if you want, I can send you 2 or 3 pictures, even now.. But, for the authorization model could you wait few days? Because now I haven't a camera or a scanner at home..

hey thats cool! bit busy now but send you some pics soon :) I'd represent the "crazy men without whom the world can't survive" :p

Sorry for the delay in replying to you all. My net connection was down for most of yesterday, probably because it was 38 C (100 F) here.

SquallDLeonhart said:
Ok :D I'm glad if I could help.. Then, if you want, I can send you 2 or 3 pictures, even now.. But, for the authorization model could you wait few days? Because now I haven't a camera or a scanner at home..
Sure! It'll be at least a year before the thing is ready for release, so a week doesn't make much difference in the scheme of things. ;)

SquallDLeonhart said:
hey thats cool! bit busy now but send you some pics soon :) I'd represent the "crazy men without whom the world can't survive" :p
Aha! Crazy men who THINK the world can't survive without them! I've been looking for someone to play the villain.

Volsung said:
Do you need music made for your game?
Oh, wow! That would be wonderful!

I was planning to use classical music (since it's in the public domain) and have my husband play it on the piano (since although classical music sheet music is in the public domain, the PERFORMANCES of it belong to the artist who performs, so I can't use professional recordings), but music that's tailored for my game would be much better.

Send me a PM, and we'll talk.

Wow, how exciting! :D

SquallDLeonhart said:
As I promised, I posted you two pictures and the document :D
Thank you very much! They're nice pictures, and you do a GREAT happy face -- you practically glow!

SquallDLeonhart said:
..I hope to become a polite and charming character :p
I think with a face like that, you'll have to be a serious heartthrob. :D Too bad there aren't enough pictures to make you a dateable ... I can hear the player complaints now: "But why couldn't I date the dreamy guy?" ;)

Top Bottom