I worry about the potential lack of a unique artstyle

+
People assume that cyberpunk must look like BR. There were countless posts on this very forum about how's the 77 is NOT cyberpunk enough because there's no rain, no fog, no night, no aids and despair :) hence, BR = Generic.
I completely disagree with all of this, and I don't think Blade Runner is generic in the slightest.

Further, there's absolutely nothing wrong with having rain, fog, nighttime, etc. in a cyberpunk game, and in fact 2077 will have all of that.

I completely disagree with all of this, and I don't think Blade Runner is generic in the slightest.

Further, there's absolutely nothing wrong with having rain, fog, nighttime, etc. in a cyberpunk game, and in fact 2077 will have all of that.
Not that Blade Runner is generic. Blade Runner is a blueprint. Cyberpunk art typically follows Blade Runner, which makes it (CPart, not BR) generic.

Of course it's not wrong to have rain, nigthtime etc. I was just making fun of those people who lost their shit after the 2018 trailer and they saw the Sun. And the palms. They can't get over it even to this day. No amout of clarification about night/day cycle, weather system seem to help them recover :)

Not that Blade Runner is generic. Blade Runner is a blueprint. Cyberpunk art typically follows Blade Runner, which makes it (CPart, not BR) generic.

Of course it's not wrong to have rain, nigthtime etc. I was just making fun of those people who lost their shit after the 2018 trailer and they saw the Sun. And the palms. They can't get over it even to this day. No amout of clarification about night/day cycle, weather system seem to help them recover :)

That makes more sense.

And yes, I remember how many people freaked out over that.

To be fair, I was one of them, initially. Because I knew absolutely nothing about the game and it was a complete tonal shift from what I'd seen before. However, once it was clarified by Mike Pondsmith and CDPR, I got over it, and have been fine since.

With that said, I do wish they'd show off some of the different aspects of the game by this point. All we've seen is the bright, sunny, colorful aspects. If the game has as much variety as they promise, I want to see it. I want to see the city at night before release, in actual gameplay (not CGI).

All I want is more dirt and grit, honestly. And maybe less washed-out colors/lighting. And I'll be satisfied with the art direction, because I do appreciate that CDPR is trying to be unique in the sense of straying off of this BR cliche and venturing into more "punk", more sunny and realistic atmospheres

Games cannot be of this scale (especially you can enter many indoors)

Ackchyually, yes they can.

As long as you can real time render the scene, which you can, provided sufficient object culling. The rest is about how to handle the data and the world generation workload.

And there are ways to go about that. Prosedurial generation and data-trees mostly.

You break down the building into external blocks, which contain internal blocks, which contain set dressing blocks, etc. Same datastructure which allows Minecraft to have it's worlds be roughly 8x Earth's surface area.

So long as those block sets are diverse enough, you should be able to avoid outright repetition. But for anything that looks unique and non-bulk produced, you'll still need an artistic eye. And for now, that means human.

Though when it doesn't, I think we will be not asking the question; "What kind of scope of gameplay are does this imply?" As much as we ask the question; "What will our new robot overlords do with your quite obsolete species?"

But, I digress.

I dont get why people always compare this to Blade Runner, Blade Runner doesnt have Cyberpunk in it even slightest. I would take Matrix or even Terminator. Or Judge Dredd. Miami Vice for hot girls.

Btw, that girl looks great, hopefully its in game.

Blade Runner is more like Mad Max.

I dont get why people always compare this to Blade Runner, Blade Runner doesnt have Cyberpunk in it even slightest.

Do androids dream of electric sheep, the novel that Blade Runner is based upon, is widely considered to be proto-cyberpunk.

And Blade Runner itself is considered to have exemplified the look of cyberpunk perfectly.

Do androids dream of electric sheep, the novel that Blade Runner is based upon, is widely considered to be proto-cyberpunk.

And Blade Runner itself is considered to have exemplified the look of cyberpunk perfectly.

I hope CDPR doesnt push it too far to Blade Runner, as its science fiction, not Cyberpunk. Too many science fiction boosk, tv-shows, movies, games already. Sucks to see if Cyberpunk melds into them.

I hope CDPR doesnt push it too far to Blade Runner, as its science fiction, not Cyberpunk. Too many science fiction boosk, tv-shows, movies, games already. Sucks to see if Cyberpunk melds into them.

Err, cyberpunk is a Sci-fi subgenre, so...

Actually, wait, could you explain what you mean by sci-fi and cyberpunk and why are they different? You seem to be operating with a curious definition of both, neither of which I am familiar with.

To me, Cyberpunk 2077 so far gives me lots of vibes more than just one: Akira, Ghost in the Shell, Dredd, Robocop, Blade Runner, Altered Carbon, Upgrade, Johnny Mnemonic, Total Recall, Strange Days, even Streets of Fire, The Fifth Element, Ready Player One, Chappie, Mad Max,...

Of course, there’s a dominant trend in the game’s look and feel (something between GitS, Akira and Dredd, I’d say) but, still, the art direction feels richly inspired already, so I think there’s no need to worry about it in that regard.

Blade Runner was mentioned so many time that It became generic itself. for me, Cyberpunk 2077 is more unique now. I mean, the fact that people are saying "Wut, this game is not cyberpunk!" is the evidence Cyberpunk 2077 is unique and different to any other cyberpunk movies or games.

Err, cyberpunk is a Sci-fi subgenre, so...

Actually, wait, could you explain what you mean by sci-fi and cyberpunk and why are they different? You seem to be operating with a curious definition of both, neither of which I am familiar with.

Thats the thing because no-one knows what Cyberpunk is, this is as far I know first time Cyberpunk is visualized. Cyberpunk 2020 pen and paper lives only in people's imagination.

I actually watched Blade Runner 2049, and boy that was boring movie. Sure there was a bit of Cyberpunk.

Thats the thing because no-one knows what Cyberpunk is, this is as far I know first time Cyberpunk is visualized.

There have been quite a few movies and video games of the cyberpunk genre. So, there is quite the smorgasbord of visualisations.

And they all trend towards the technoir look.

The original '82 Blade Runner is widely considered to have nailed down the look and feel of cyberpunk.

I actually watched Blade Runner 2049, and boy that was boring movie. Sure there was a bit of Cyberpunk.

Then you went in with wrong expectations; I went in with the expectation of a 164 minute industrial concept album as a music video, with a cyberpunk storyline, and I got exactly what I wanted.

The thing is, last decade has seen an awful lot of creators visualize the future with "clean and clinical", steel/glass/white plastic look. Basically star trek instead of cyberpunk. There was articles written on the issue, and if I wasnt busy with christmas stuff I'd go look for them. Many of the stories are about transhumanism (like Blade runner 2049) than the struggle of the common man in the future world ruled by soul-crushing corps.

Slowly, subliminally, the cyberpunk message "tech is bad for you" has turned into "tech is good for you" of modern day, real life corps. This is the main difference between certain scifi stories and Cyberpunk I feel. The core concept of cyberpunk is not respected by many scifi movies and games. This shows in the aesthetics.

So far, everything I've seen implies that CP2077 does understand what cyberpunk is about, but we can discuss whether this shows in the art direction enough. The problem is that I feel many of the images we've seen might not be final ones. I felt that the CP2077 art style reminded me a little bit too much of the modern Deux Ex games, but at least there are plenty of elements that also make it more colorful.

I think theres plenty discussion to be had about what is and what isn't cyberpunk. Ghost in the Shell, story most would agree is cyberpunk, is also about transhumanism of its main protagonist Major Kusanagi (who merges with an AI at the end of the original comic to create a new kind of lifeform). Transhumanism has it's place in cyberpunk as well, because in my opinion it can be depicted devaluing the standard human life and cause a caste divide (You are one of the elite or you are not). But what is the story about, that is the main question in my opinion.

The thing that most other things mimic, is the archetype of generic and turns generic itself.

ps. If I don't make sense I apologize and blame that its morning and I'm only on my first coffee.

Last edited:
Look at the style of the pictures in the 2020 rules book, I think they are living up to the art style imo. I'm more worried this will be some kind of GTA V with a cyberpunk paint job. I'm not that worried because I have faith in CD RED though.

Top Bottom