I would like to know what is your gaming routine

+
I love Witcher's lore and I quite enjoy card games so I played Gwent from closed beta with occasional breaks.
Problem is that now I get sometimes angry and I didn't before. I guess it is because in the beginning you make excuses like: it is still beta, later will be more cards etc. and you are new to the game.
Although I know CDPR listen to fans and they make often balance changes compared to other card games but there are always something that is so stupid that makes me want to quit :)
I faced 3 alchemy NG in a row and I quite understand them. They just want easy wins or higher rank (it was just rank 18). But when they all do same things with same cards, like str leader 1st round, assire 2nd round, cahir and vilg 3rd round... you are more dead inside each time it happens :p
Okay then, I say, I will play casual with some weak decks like blood moon movement and i face 2 ng alchemy in a row :x It just made me come here.
And here comes the question. What is your routine ? I think I will wait until there are more cards to play some new decks. Because even just to make 100ore is not fun at this moment.

And by the way before someone will attack me: I played some alchemy in the past too - I used this deck only as example because this happened to me.

I recently rage quit after a streak of casual games where I got blue coin all the time and in some games, opponents opened with their spy :p

I get very easily annoyed at this game, especially against Sabbath, which casual is full of still, Blue coin in general, Hym's create option winning the game and giving my opponent a free Ozzrel, disrupting my strategy and gaining a free 21 point gold, nekker spam and axemen. So I just uninstalled it the day before. I can't say I miss it. I'll play again when I get a friend into this, so that we can do friendly matches. Until then, I'll just find something else. After all, Homecoming is coming anyway, I'll check if the game is worth anything after that arrives.

I didn't expect it would be able to annoy me this much after 2100 hours of incessant playtime but it did :p

• RED Point
Reactions: rrc
I recently rage quit after a streak of casual games where I got blue coin all the time and in some games, opponents opened with their spy :p

I get very easily annoyed at this game, especially against Sabbath, which casual is full of still, Blue coin in general, Hym's create option winning the game and giving my opponent a free Ozzrel, disrupting my strategy and gaining a free 21 point gold, nekker spam and axemen. So I just uninstalled it the day before. I can't say I miss it. I'll play again when I get a friend into this, so that we can do friendly matches. Until then, I'll just find something else. After all, Homecoming is coming anyway, I'll check if the game is worth anything after that arrives.

I didn't expect it would be able to annoy me this much after 2100 hours of incessant playtime but it did :p

I'm very sorry to hear that...but I totally understand it.

I’ve quit playing Gwent for about 2 months now, and won’t play until HC. In it’s current state I’m done with the game. It bores me and I recognise the ‘easily annoyed’ part :cool: I visit this forum from time to time, because I still hope/wish that HC will make Gwent great again. When I read all the discussions and plans concerning HC I’m relieved that I have some distance to Gwent now and that I’m not really emotionally involved at the moment. I’ll see what HC brings.

Ditto, I'll go back for HC to see what it's like, with the single player aspect (as long as it's not overpriced!).

Game turned into a slog, too much repetition in decks and too infrequent to have a fun game, by which I mean a game against someone who hasn't copied a meta. I said elsewhere, the key problem with Gwent is they never got a decent handle on duplications and it's the constant problem for me. Nekkers, Greatswords, Bears, Viper Witchers - every game you've ever rage quit has been because of over-use of duplicate cards. For me, they either need to limit it to two or offer a game that does away with it entirely. At least offer a game that allows no duplication, alongside the main game.

Personal for me, but I built a few decks around Shupe just to try it and it offered the best experience for me. Why? 'Cos you're not especially reliant on a formula. Yes, you really need the RNG on your side as you'll need access to Golds and Silvers to stand a chance! And there's a few kind of 'equations' that give me a better shot (eg. Brouver - Pavko - Pit Trap - Iris is my preferred winning play over two rounds). But at least I did that myself, didn't read about it online and can tweak it accordingly - played around with some silvers, like Yaevinn, Dudu, changed a few Golds too (now use Zoltan with Pit Trap, nice 23 point play max). Not without its' frustrations (Iris can be a helluva tank, so can Schirru and there's nothing more frustrating than getting Thunder on your third mulligan with Ithlinne in your hand!!!) but for the most part kept me coming back. But it was just seeing the same decks over and over that made it boring. If there was no duplicates, deck variation would be MASSIVE.

I actually found the solution :D
I've made a lot of decks and chose these most fun for me and which are not very bad.
Like movement ST or slave driver NG.
They are quite enjoyable. Cheers

rrc

Forum veteran

That is really a very sad news :( I hope you come back sooner than HC. How do you play friendly matches against a friend? Is it even possible? If so, we can play ;) I don't use any netdeck. I am using Eithnè Swordmaster with some questionable silvers (and without the Spy). I constantly tweak my deck based on my own experiences. So, you can beat me to death every game and get the motivation back :p

@rrc Yeah, playing against friends is possible. On PS4 for example you can play against your friends on this console. On PC you can play against people in your GOG friends list (in game you find the friends list in the left corner of the menu where the daily quests are - on console it's easier to find).

Last edited:
  • RED Point
Reactions: rrc
1. Installing gwent
2. Playing gwent a few times
3. Realizing againt that gwent isn't really entertaining anymore
4. Uninstalling gwent
5. Don't play gwent for a few weeks
6. Repeat

rrc

Forum veteran
I'll play again when I get a friend into this, so that we can do friendly matches. Until then, I'll just find something else.
Is there a way to send friend request from forum? I would love to play against you to have a variety of opposite decks. I can be that friend :p

So I guess despite the neutral title, it's gonna be one of those topics, where people unload their dissatisfaction with the game. :(
It was actually quite refreshing to see the positivity in @rrc 's comments.

So let me be another outlier: I still play with the game almost every day. Sometimes only a couple matches, sometimes for several hours.
Just last week I came up with a deck concept, I've seen nobody playing before, that holds its ground surprisingly well in the 4100-4200 MMR range, so that alone will keep me going for a couple weeks again. Then I'll probably revisit some of my old, favorite decks, and hopefully come up with a new concept in the meantime again like several times before.

I'll definitely not commit the same mistake again as last season where I tried to target and grind for a specific Rank / MMR / top list position. That was a very effective way for me to kill all fun from the game.

I've played Gwent on my PS4 since last October and even manged to get to rank 20 once. I have most of the cards there, and what I don't have I probably could get after milling all my spares when HC is here.

But recently I got my first real Gaming PC (ah, shiny new hardware), which means I had to start from scratch again. Which forced me to focus on particular decks and scrap everything else. So now I play Ranked until about rank 18 (above it becomes too much of a grind), the rest is casual for dailies to improve my card collection. And in casual I don't really care so much about winning, as long as I get my rounds my playing is relaxed and usually still enjoyable (if I manage to win, even better). I can think about my mistakes and how to do it better the next time. It is just something you can do when you have some spare time, play a few matches, not taking it too seriously. Try out a few things and laugh at it if it fails miserably. And if somebody plays Imlerith: Sabbath, so what. Either I win, then fine. Or I lose, then also fine (though I will play every single card I have just to annoy the oppenent ;-) And never a GG for those Imlerith players, out of principle. There, serves you right :)

All in all, if I feel like it, I'll play and still enjoy it. Otherwise I don't feel guilty not playing for several days. After all, it is just a game.

I don't play as much as i played before but still manage. Usually 2-3 daily quests a week.

I'll definitely start playing more once Homecoming arrives.

I love Witcher's lore and I quite enjoy card games so I played Gwent from closed beta with occasional breaks.
Problem is that now I get sometimes angry and I didn't before. I guess it is because in the beginning you make excuses like: it is still beta, later will be more cards etc. and you are new to the game.
Although I know CDPR listen to fans and they make often balance changes compared to other card games but there are always something that is so stupid that makes me want to quit :)
I faced 3 alchemy NG in a row and I quite understand them. They just want easy wins or higher rank (it was just rank 18). But when they all do same things with same cards, like str leader 1st round, assire 2nd round, cahir and vilg 3rd round... you are more dead inside each time it happens :p
Okay then, I say, I will play casual with some weak decks like blood moon movement and i face 2 ng alchemy in a row :x It just made me come here.
And here comes the question. What is your routine ? I think I will wait until there are more cards to play some new decks. Because even just to make 100ore is not fun at this moment.

And by the way before someone will attack me: I played some alchemy in the past too - I used this deck only as example because this happened to me.

I recently did the unthinkable to me and quit. This game used to be all I played. Cant take playing the same garbage decks. I always think of something fun to play but against unbalanced decks creativity does not cut it. I already have a full collection so arena is useless to play as well. I was against every change they announced for homecoming, now I don't care because the game is dead to me. Anything is better. I have more games to play and not enough time. Feels like a waste of time playing Gwent anymore

My routine : I woke up in the morning around 5.00 - 6.00 pm (I live in France) and turn my computer on, then play while drinking my coffee. Sometimes I get in a wild streak of victories and keep playing for hours, sometimes I get bored more quickly and just end my daily quest(s). I still try to reach rk 21 but not as hard as I had before. I still find some fun in this game (not all the time : there are times when I loose just too much and get frustrated, like everybody). But I still do enjoy this game very much. I'm anxious to see the changes Homecoming will bring, hoping it will lead the game in a direction I will enjoy even more !
Oh ! Sorry, I hadn't notice it was a b####-about-the-game topic. But then again, the title is misleading ;-)

You forgot the mulligan bug. While fixing blue coin and spies require some thinking, testing and balancing, getting rid of the mulligan bug is a simple technical task that should be done a long time ago. I mean, how hard is it to shuffle a card back into the deck randomly, and not into the top 3 cards?

I completely stopped playing Arena because of the mulligan bug, as it's simply unbearable in that mode.

You forgot the mulligan bug. While fixing blue coin and spies require some thinking, testing and balancing, getting rid of the mulligan bug is a simple technical task that should be done a long time ago. I mean, how hard is it to shuffle a card back into the deck randomly, and not into the top 3 cards?

While still a problem, it was not what caused me to rage quit that time. That's why it was not included :p

I do agree they had to fix it ages ago however. It's insane how prevalent it still is

rrc

Forum veteran
While still a problem, it was not what caused me to rage quit that time. That's why it was not included :p

I do agree they had to fix it ages ago however. It's insane how prevalent it still is
ser, can you please explain about this bug and what is the bug's behavior? I asked this question in Ask-Dev thread, but the reply didn't explain this bug or what to expect from the bug, but a statement that the mulligan will be fixed in Homecoming.

I drew Roach three times in a game (since I couldn't summon it on R1 as I had in hand and dry passed and then again and again drew it whenever I had to draw a card). So, what is the bug and how to avoid it or how to get prepared for it?

ser, can you please explain about this bug and what is the bug's behavior? I asked this question in Ask-Dev thread, but the reply didn't explain this bug or what to expect from the bug, but a statement that the mulligan will be fixed in Homecoming.

I drew Roach three times in a game (since I couldn't summon it on R1 as I had in hand and dry passed and then again and again drew it whenever I had to draw a card). So, what is the bug and how to avoid it or how to get prepared for it?

Yes it's quite simple but easy to not get really. I had to watch Swim's analysis on it to get it finally.

So like you said, you get the same card that you mulligan consistently during the whole game. And that happens repeatedly. That's not just you. A lot of players have noticed that and in time it came to be known as the mulligan bug.

The term is misleading because it is not a bug. Things are working exactly like they should.
The problem comes from the mulligan's algorithm

See, when you mulligan a card away in the beginning of the match, you blacklist it and all its copies for the rest of the mulligan phase right? so you cannot draw it again, or a copy, during that phase. The issue is that most decks are 25 cards in size. When you mulligan a card, it goes back in the deck in a random spot between any other 2 cards in your deck, first, or last. However when the game starts, you have 10 cards in your hand and 15 in your deck. So you mulligan the first card, it goes somewhere in the deck and you draw the new top card in its stead. So far so good.

However in most mulligan phases, you don't mulligan once. But all 3 times. At least on match start, when you can. This means that you will also send 2 more cards back and draw the other 2 top cards (assuming they aren't blacklisted). This means that in the single initial mulligan phase, you've gone through more than half of your deck (10 cards you've drawn, 3 you've redrawn). So the cards that you sent back during that mulligan phase and might have ended up anywhere in the deck, are "pushed" up to the top because you redraw more cards on top of them. Think about it, when you mulligan the first card, and draw the new top card, it might end up on top, between the first and second, between the second and third, etc... between the last and the one before that, or last at the bottom. Since you have 15 cards remaining in the deck, and you draw 2 more cards during the same mulligan phase, if it ends up anywhere between the first 5 cards, you are bound to see that card pop up again on the second round. Because you will draw 2 more cards, plus the 3 you drew on round 1 while swapping. So basically, the chances that you draw that card again in subsequent rounds increases, the more extra cards you mulligan after it.

Things are worse when we take blacklisting into account. You might not draw the card itself, but a copy of it, further increasing the chance that you will see that card, or a copy of it in round 2.

This problem is one of the most ancient and persistent in Gwent, ever since the closed beta, and still has not been fixed sufficiently. Community has suggested a simple "complete deck shuffle" mechanic to be implemented after players have finished the mulligan but it has not been added yet.

you can also read this for more info :) Hope this helps. This is the quick version of it all, so if something doesn't make sense let me know

Top Bottom