Idea's From Elsewhere...

+
Idea's From Elsewhere...

I wanted to give this topic it's own thread because I think it deserves one instead of just me posting in the suggested ideas thread. So here goes...

I've saw people look at other video games and wanting to combine various features to show what the perfect cyberpunk 2077 game could look like. However cool this is, I think we should pay some more attention to where the game originated, the tabletop, with pen and paper. This got me thinking of Tabletop wargames (which I love and used to play for years).

I started playing W40k (like most people) and I then moved Warmahordes (Term for Warmachine and Hordes for those who don't know). I've moved off 40k and play Warmahordes mainly but one GW title that caught my eye was Necromunda. This is another TT war game set in the w40k world but is more focused on the cities rather than the battlefield. There are also quite a few RPG elements. You basically control a gang of around 4-6 depending on what is in your gang. Fights take place in urban terrain and the scenery that is set up at the wargames club I go to looks so similar to the night city shown in the trailer. As you beat (or lose to ) other gangs, each individual gang member gains XP and this can be spent on weapon upgrades,armour, obtaining more members.

So, I started this thread to see what can be influenced by other games and features I'd like to see from necromunda are:
-Good black market system-In necromunda you can't just go to a dealer and buy some insane weapon, you first have to find him.
-Lots of openness on what can be done with characters to give them individuality, Not just the player but others under your command.

Those are the main ones, I have more up my sleeve but what other aspects of non video games would you like to see in CP2077.

Let me know down below...

I agree with getting weapons.
Even if this world is supposed to be an ultra liberal world where big corporations pretty much do whatever they want and crime runs rampant I think that getting weapons should be hard.
You shouldn't even start with a gun according to me. You must get connected until you find someone who can get you stuff.

But when you finally find someone good, what you can buy shouldn't be determined by your level or story progression.
A big selection of weapons should be available right away from this point.
The more exotic, dangerous, and special weapons should be available as well with a catch. You shouldn't get them right away, you would have to order them and pay half at once and the rest when they have arrived, which should take about an in game week.
They should also be VERY expensive making them late game content anyway. But if you save your money you will have them a bit earlier.

Maybe the game could introduce you to a small arms dealer in the beginning of the game so you can buy hand guns and sub machine guns fairly easy so getting a gun isn't a total hassle.

The other suggestion about being able to customize NPCs under your command I don't know. Mainly because I'm not sure there should be such a system where you give orders in the field to NPCs in the game.

Weapons are supposed to be one of the most common assets, cut them out at the start and you' ll have people wondering about core mechanics or how does customization work and whatever trivial stuff is planned to be in the game.
I agree some stuff should requiere time and a fair amount of credits. Rpgs don't add much to action elements to begin with, featuring everything they can (think of vats from fallout to decrompress the "big" shootouts mixed to twitch shooting for all kinds of firefights), thus weapons leading to monotonous and "cheaty" gameplay (think of judge dredd gun/sniper rifles or strong automatics in general) are supposed to cost as much as your kidney.

I started playing W40k (like most people) and I then moved Warmahordes (Term for Warmachine and Hordes for those who don't know). I've moved off 40k and play Warmahordes mainly but one GW title that caught my eye was Necromunda. This is another TT war game set in the w40k world but is more focused on the cities rather than the battlefield. There are also quite a few RPG elements. You basically control a gang of around 4-6 depending on what is in your gang. Fights take place in urban terrain and the scenery that is set up at the wargames club I go to looks so similar to the night city shown in the trailer. As you beat (or lose to ) other gangs, each individual gang member gains XP and this can be spent on weapon upgrades,armour, obtaining more members.

4 - 6 members? By the Emperors hairy ball sack, how tooled up were your gangers? I never had less than 8 to start in a gang and I normally aimed for 9. But then I litterally bought bare minimum for them. Their backup weapon was a knife.

The Necro setting is pretty easy to use with the Dark Heresy PNP RPG, ditching inquisitors and setting yourselves up as lower level movers and shakers in the hives underworld.

Anyway, in the underhive the way to get ammo and gear is to know a guy. The same applies in Cyberpunk, you go see your fixer, (who may or may not be able to get what you want - at a price...)

I hope that the world of 2077 is so violent and dangerous that not owning a firearm, (legitimately or not,) is unthinkable. Of course, the legality of the weapon in question could have some interesting ramifications. In 2020 all legal weapons are registered to your SIN, (your ID,) and that includes a ballistics profile for said weapon. If they fish some slugs out of a murder victims body that match your gun, your going to be in deep shit - wether you did it or not.

In short, legally I see no problem with buying guns over the counter. I see problems using them in many situations however. Its the unregistered ones that will need to be a pain to find, (especially good ones.)

as a khajiit from elsweyr i smuggled in a gun on my own, and guesssssss what, i'm keeping it^^

I would ask where you hid it, but i'm not sure I want to know. I especially don't need to know how long you had to stay in the litter tray for after...

I agree with getting weapons.
Even if this world is supposed to be an ultra liberal world where big corporations pretty much do whatever they want and crime runs rampant I think that getting weapons should be hard.
You shouldn't even start with a gun according to me. You must get connected until you find someone who can get you stuff.

Yes, but Night City is in the USA.
You'll be able to buy handguns/revolver and use them (if you've a permit for those).
Shotguns/Assault rifle should be sold in armory (but have to stay in your home, except if they vote a law between 2022 ans 2077), but otherwise, you'll have to go throught the black market to find military / rare weapons and ammos, with really expensives prices and probably a given time to wait untill it's shiped to your seller.

Same goes for the vehicules, and equipment.

It's a liberal capitalist world, if you got the money : you got the goods.

At least, that's how I see it

Yes, but Night City is in the USA.
You'll be able to buy handguns/revolver and use them (if you've a permit for those).
Shotguns/Assault rifle should be sold in armory (but have to stay in your home, except if they vote a law between 2022 ans 2077), but otherwise, you'll have to go throught the black market to find military / rare weapons and ammos, with really expensives prices and probably a given time to wait untill it's shiped to your seller.

Same goes for the vehicules, and equipment.

It's a liberal capitalist world, if you got the money : you got the goods.

At least, that's how I see it

I think what jaworowskii means is that he wants the gameplay to kind of force him to buy a cheap gun in a back alley from some shady guy, instead of just going to a store. How should we do that? Wait periods? Psychological reports? Controlled materials?

I think what jaworowskii means is that he wants the gameplay to kind of force him to buy a cheap gun in a back alley from some shady guy, instead of just going to a store. How should we do that? Wait periods? Psychological reports? Controlled materials?

Well, in 2020 all over the counter weaponry was linked to your SIN identification number. If any unlawful use was discovered through ballistics, (such as a bulet fired from it being found in a body,) you were guilty of the crime - even if you could prove it wasn't you, your gun was used, you were responsible, you take the rap.

Thats a pretty good reason to buy off the black market in my book.

Well, in 2020 all over the counter weaponry was linked to your SIN identification number. If any unlawful use was discovered through ballistics, (such as a bulet fired from it being found in a body,) you were guilty of the crime - even if you could prove it wasn't you, your gun was used, you were responsible, you take the rap.

I..don't recall this? Not saying you aren't correct, it's been years since I went through P&S or Home thoroughly, but where is this from? I always run with much more liberal firearm laws than now.

Cyberpunk 2020 said:
Weapons
By 1997, even the most well-intentioned gun control statutes were buried under a wave of public protest as crime rates made America a siege state. Self-defense soon became an American lifestyle, and there was an explosive increase in light personal protection weapons.

By 1999, most gun control statutes involved 1) filling out a "carry application" allowing you to carry a concealed handgun; 2) waiting 4 days for an extensive background check and approval, which could be refused on the basis of a criminal record or history of mental illness; and 3) paying the $25.00 fee and having a serial number
laser etched into the butt of the gun. This number is cataloged with the ballistics firing pattern of your weapon at FBI/CIA Headquarters in Washington D.e.

The Federal Weapons Statute of 1999 states that if a gun with your ID number is used in the commission of a crime, you are liable for that crime, unless you have previously reported the weapon as lost or stolen, and have had this report filed with your local police agency.

Under the provisions of the Federal Weapons Statute, it is not legal to carry submachineguns and other fully automatic weapons-possession carries a stiff 5 to 7 year mandatory prison sentence. Not that this stops anyone. While there's a certain style in using an old model sidearm like a Colt .357 or .45, the sensible cyberpunk knows that a modern pistol makes a good backup. Since the introduction of the Glock 17 automatic in the mid-1980's, most major handgun manufacturers now produce polymer resin pistols in a variety of calibers.

The most ubiquitous of these is the Federated Arms X-22 and X-9 series, a line of polymer plastic handguns. Manufactured in a variety of bright, designer colors, these so-called "Polymer One-shots" carry an easy to load 10 or 8 round clips of caseless ammunition, retail at $150 to $300, and are available in most sporting goods stores. They combine practicality, durability and style in potent little packages. The new Cyberteen™ line includes airbrushed casings with colorful shapes and artwork molded right in-the perfect giftforthe young consumer interested in personal defense.

I underlined the important bit.

I really ahte it in games where bigger better weapons just magically appear as you progress through the game... they should always be there, in full view... making you drool, until you can afford them, afford the license to have them, or can find a black market dealer who sells them at a rate you can afford, or till you kill someone else using them, and take them for your own damn self.

No need for artificial rarity, when there are plenty of ways to keep the players down and out in streets...

true story

I really ahte it in games where bigger better weapons just magically appear as you progress through the game... they should always be there, in full view... making you drool, until you can afford them, afford the license to have them, or can find a black market dealer who sells them at a rate you can afford, or till you kill someone else using them, and take them for your own damn self.

No need for artificial rarity, when there are plenty of ways to keep the players down and out in streets...
Cue adverts on TV, billboards and other media by Militech, Arasaka, Tsunami Arms and all our other favourites.

Did I seriously forget Malorian? Shit...

I think I would go into black market weapons... unless I'm working for a Corporation...
Even the corps go black market for their black ops. That is just one of the avenues of business that is open to fixers, keep the corps in reliable and anonimous firepower.

Buy your guns legally, then switch out the barrels so bullet so bullet striations can't be matched, since the majority of weapons in 2020 are caseless there is little need for switching out the hammer as well, but for the weapons that do still use cased ammo, switching out the hammer is also possible. (This coincidentally is another reason I never agreed with the caseless amo principle becoming so widespread, as it eliminates a lot of ballistic forensic evidence.)

Switch out the barrels again after every use, if you ever have to turn you gu over, put the original barrel back in... voila...

You are still fucked if they catch you with the gun on you after committing a crime, but hey, it beats having to shell out for an entirely new gun every week, especially if you really dig your gun.

Or you could just go smooth barrel, shit for accuracy, but at close range it doesn't matter much.

Top Bottom