If my weapon is drawn, allow me to parry and dodge

+
I would prefer this as well, it gets really annoying trying to dodge arrows when it wont let you dodge or roll or parry yet. You can still avoid them by moving left or right before they hit you, but I picked arrow deflection for a reason, and as it stands I can only do it if I'm close enough to at least 1 enemy that will put me into combat mode.

As for rebinding, I don't think that will work considering on PC you already can rebind parry and witcher senses to separate buttons in the keybinding options menu, and that still doesn't let you parry outside of combat mode.

Yep I agree... that's why I think witcher sense should be LS click once. ;)

---------- Updated at 02:32 AM ----------

Serious.. just map the witcher sense to LS kinda like it was in TW2, e.g 1 click = Witcher Sense now.
2 clicks for Roche on RS instead. Or swap'em 1 click RS = witche sense. But to me, it makes more sense to have LS be the activater of Witcher Sense.
Something needs to change so we can at least draw our sword and parry/block whenever we want, without the witcher sense getting in our way ;)
Left Stick is very unpleasent to use, while Left Trigger is gentle and soft.
I use Witcher Senses 90% of the time I play.

And at the very moment you enter combat, you can block the arrows from far distance.
As I've said before, it's so easy to deal with arrows, I find this a luxery problem and to solve it you must do something with Witcher Senses that will break the game for me.

And at the very moment you enter combat, you can block the arrows from far distance.
As I've said before, it's so easy to deal with arrows, I find this a luxery problem and to solve it you must do something with Witcher Senses that will break the game for me.
You still don't seem to understand the issue.

There's many enemies that attack from range. Instead of being able to parry incoming arrows or dodge massive tree explosions, Geralt uses his Witcher sense or jumps, usually resulting in taking damage.
This has never happened to me. Seriously.
When I'm THAT far away, the enemies will leave combat and run back.

But if someone has this problem, don't touch Witcher Senses.

I play with my Witcher Senses while having the correct sword in my hands before enterting combat.
As I use the Witcher Senses to detect enemy location AND sound, if a werewolf, I hear them before I see them.. and then I know which sword to draw before combat.

Plus it's a cool addition to the role play atmosphere.

And Left Trigger\Right Trigger are the softest buttons to use and I use my Witcher Senses 90% of the time.
Plus this is something I've gotten used to since release.

---------- Updated at 10:23 AM ----------

Only solution here without messing with other peoples playstyle (buttons) or the way they play (using Witcher Senses out of combat with sword drawn - is to:

Increase the distance detection of enemy for Geralt.
Decrease the distance of enemies detection of Geralt.

This way you enter combat before them.

Last edited:

I play with my Witcher Senses while having the correct sword in my hands before enterting combat.
As I use the Witcher Senses to detect enemy location AND sound, if a werewolf, I hear them before I see them.. and then I know which sword to draw before combat.

And Left Trigger\Right Trigger are the softest buttons to use and I use my Witcher Senses 90% of the time.

Only solution here without messing with other peoples playstyle (buttons) or the way they play (using Witcher Senses out of combat with sword drawn - is to:

Well frankly you still don't understand the problem people are having. I use witcher sense all the time too but would kill to be able to remap so I could parry at range. I suppose your idea would be a good compromise but if you're not having this issue ever I find it hard to believe you're playing the same game I am. If they'd just let me amp then to separate spots and it would work, we'd both be happy

No way... you must not understand. It's a way better idea, you don't hold down LS, just a simple click on and a click off and if monsters or bandits come at you.. it will turn off by itself :)

PLEASE YES. This along with being able to lock on at a further distance.

It is so stupid that if a mob doesn't go hostile to me that my block activates witcher sense. Please fix!

Disable auto sheathe!

Amen. The game is not nearly smart enough to make the judgement if you should be in combat or non-combat mode as it FREQUENTLY makes Geralt put his weapon away at the worst possible moment.

---------- Updated at 08:17 PM ----------

Then you do not understand the issue. It is an absolute *fact* that the game can put you out of combat mode (thereby disabling roll/dodge and most importantly, parry arrow) whilst archers/crossbowmen are shooting at you if no melee enemies are close enough to keep you in combat mode. It happened to me times beyond counting. This is a game mechanics design flaw, not a play style issue.

I agree, get rid of autosheath -- and if the sword is out, then we are in combat mode. only way to get witcher senses back on the trigger is to manually sheath sword.this makes total sense, and avoids all situations where you can't defend yourself from distance (sometime its not even that far - I've been melee hit first before Geralt would enter combat mode). oh and my Geralt does not roll, so I need my block and parry available at all times :)

If you actually believe you can parry arrows before the game acknowledges you're in combat, YOU ARE WRONG.

FACT, you can get shot with arrows and the game still not enter combat mode. Combat mode, seems to me, is purely dependent on proximity to the enemy.

Go on, approach a bandit camp with archers and parry then first volley. You'll activate Witcher sense and get hit with arrows. Then, try to parry or dodge the next incoming arrow, chances are you'll sense or jump that one too.

To those of you nay-saying and pretending like this isn't actually a thing that happens: there's a bandit camp near the Soothsayer's hut in Velen, which is NE of the southern swamp. It's a fort, and the only way inside is a ladder. If you kill all the bandits outside of it, Geralt will sheathe his sword and completely ignore the archers shooting at him from the walls. I invite you to head out there and see for yourself.

Just a couple suggestions:

Dodge outside of combat: Shift (hold) + Alt

Roll outside of combat: Shift (hold) + Space

(edit)

I realize that second suggestion means no sprint jumping, so maybe a double tap of Space would suffice.

Last edited:
Just a couple suggestions:

Dodge outside of combat: Shift (hold) + Alt

Roll outside of combat: Shift (hold) + Space

(edit)

I realize that second suggestion means no sprint jumping, so maybe a double tap of Space would suffice.

I really like this suggestion, or at least the freedom to do both when I want to.

On consoles; hold to jump, tap to dodge or press to jump, double tap to dodge.

I really like train of thought because often, jumping IN combat is very useful. Like jumping over small walls, fences or benches.

Also, make melee enemies argo range a bit larger so that one can't mind control enemies at a distance without fear of reprisal. At the very least make the other enemies in that group all rush to attack the Witcher when he begins the spell.

Top Bottom