If was able to run W2 will i be able to run W3 ?

+
If was able to run W2 will i be able to run W3 ?

i was able to run Witcher 2 EE with some mid-High configs: AA,DoF,No downscale,vignete,ligth shafts,low quality shadows.
Will i be able to run Witcher 3 with some similar configs? do you think they will make it more resource demanding?
I think this will also clear doubts for a lot people as well, so if you wish to know as well( remeber its pure speculation) just post your specs.

here are mine:
Graphic card:AMD radeon HD 6520G (512mb of dedicated memory, it also has shared memory but im not sure how that works, if anyone will be so kind and explain me the shared memory concept)
RAM: 8Gb
Processor: AMD A6-3400M APU 1.40 Ghz (it has multi-core, four of them)

That was really marginal for TW2. I am not sure it will fare quite so well with TW3. TW3 will be the first use of DX11 with Red Engine; your chip supports DX11, but we don't know how much Red Engine will demand from it.

"Shared memory" means the system can allocate some of its main memory to use as graphics memory. With the large system memory configurations we see now that DDR3 is cheap, this is a low-cost (but also low-performance, because system memory is not so fast as dedicated graphics memory) way to use more than the dedicated 512MB for graphics resources.

I would be pleasantly surprised to hear that your system would handle TW3, but I am sure it will be well below the official minimum specs, and I worry that it will play rather like a slideshow.

That's an excellent question.

From the games we've seen so far that are so-called "next gen", there doesn't seem to be any radical improvement when it comes to graphic fidelity. I'm going to assume that we'll be able to run the new games at least on low to medium with a good graphics card and a sturdy cpu.

I am, however, not all that familiar with the hardware and technical side of things so you might wanna disregard everything I say :p Also, they haven't released the spec requirements that will be needed for your average next gen game and it's impossible to know for sure until we have that info. Ubisoft, for example, hasn't released the PC specs for Watch Dogs. But sources say that the preview of it at the 2012 E3 was played on a high end pc. Soooooo yeah, I reckon we'll probably have to upgrade *something*. Just not sure what specifically needs replacing ^^

GuyN said:
That was really marginal for TW2. I am not sure it will fare quite so well with TW3. TW3 will be the first use of DX11 with Red Engine; your chip supports DX11, but we don't know how much Red Engine will demand from it.

"Shared memory" means the system can allocate some of its main memory to use as graphics memory. With the large system memory configurations we see now that DDR3 is cheap, this is a low-cost (but also low-performance, because system memory is not so fast as dedicated graphics memory) way to use more than the dedicated 512MB for graphics resources.

I would be pleasantly surprised to hear that your system would handle TW3, but I am sure it will be well below the official minimum specs, and I worry that it will play rather like a slideshow.
thanks for the answer, I was able to run The witcher 2 quite well, both in performance and graphics, and i dont really see any big graphical difernece in W3 screenshots.
About the shared memory, How can I enable it? i have 8Gb of RAM, and 4 processors(1,4ghz each) which memory does it uses?
Do you think I should better buy a Ps4 rather than a new PC? i have a laptop so I can upgrade it.

yubyub96 said:
thanks for the answer, I was able to run The witcher 2 quite well, both in performance and graphics, and i dont really see any big graphical difernece in W3 screenshots.
About the shared memory, How can I enable it? i have 8Gb of RAM, and 4 processors(1,4ghz each) which memory does it uses?
Do you think I should better buy a Ps4 rather than a new PC? i have a laptop so I can upgrade it.

We don't have real TW3 screenshots yet, so trying to judge TW3 visuals by screenshots made with TW2's engine doesn't prove much.

I wouldn't consider updating until after system specs are released. It's a long time before the game comes out, so long that anything you buy now will be on the back side of its product life by the time we get the game.

TW3 is one of the few true next gen titles. They aren't trying to cater to both generations, so while I'm no expert, I fully expect it to be more demanding than TW2. Also, open world titles are usually quite demanding on the tech side.

So... by the looks of what I have heard it seems like I should either: buy a PS4, buy a new PC or run W3 badly.
Anyone has any advice on this? how did you got you high end PCs guys? or how do you get to raise some money, take into account that im only 16(almost 17)

slimgrin said:
TW3 is one of the few true next gen titles. They aren't trying to cater to both generations, so while I'm no expert, I fully expect it to be more demanding than TW2. Also, open world titles are usually quite demanding on the tech side.

I would expect "next-gen" games to finally utilize some extensive optimization, like small versions of what has been going on in the HPC world for decades. Usually the problem is games are too rushed and companies rely on the high availability and relatively low cost of computer resources (memory, CPU frequency, etc.) but in order to do really excellent things we do not always need top of the line hardware. What we need is top of the line design.

But yes, they will probably be more demanding for a variety of reasons. What I expect is slightly more demanding for a considerable improvement in most important game elements, i.e. better path finding, decision making, pattern matching, textures, polygons, lights and shadows, etc.

slimgrin said:
So... by the looks of what I have heard it seems like I should either: buy a PS4, buy a new PC or run W3 badly.
Anyone has any advice on this? how did you got you high end PCs guys? or how do you get to raise some money, take into account that im only 16(almost 17)

You should probably find an alternative to play TW3 fluidly since your current configuration won't likely run it well.

I don't know how to say this without sounding like a douchebag but we bought our gaming PC's with money we earned working. When I was your age I only had access to modest hardware and whatever components I managed to coerce my family into buying. I was rarely able to play games in full detail.

If you want to buy components for a gaming PC you could think about a summer job or something like that. Then find someone that actually knows computer hardware (maybe this same forum) and try to choose components within your budget. If you have a monitor, speakers and so on, and all you need is a computer case with internal parts, you can probably get a decent system for $700 or less.

Edit: I just realized maybe what you wanted to hear was how we decided where to buy our computers? Well if that was the case then I personally buy computer parts online. Stores like Amazon.com and Newegg.com usually have good prices. And never buy a preconfigured or namebrand computer if you want your money's worth. Those usually come with cheaper hardware and cost more simply because they have a namebrand sticker.

Volsung said:
I would expect "next-gen" games to finally utilize some extensive optimization, like small versions of what has been going on in the HPC world for decades. Usually the problem is games are too rushed and companies rely on the high availability and relatively low cost of computer resources (memory, CPU frequency, etc.) but in order to do really excellent things we do not always need top of the line hardware. What we need is top of the line design.

But yes, they will probably be more demanding for a variety of reasons. What I expect is slightly more demanding for a considerable improvement in most important game elements, i.e. better path finding, decision making, pattern matching, textures, polygons, lights and shadows, etc.
So what do you think i would have to sacrifice in The witcher 3 to have an smooth gameplay? AA? Dof?

You should probably find an alternative to play TW3 fluidly since your current configuration won't likely run it well.

I don't know how to say this without sounding like a douchebag but we bought our gaming PC's with money we earned working. When I was your age I only had access to modest hardware and whatever components I managed to coerce my family into buying. I was rarely able to play games in full detail.

If you want to buy components for a gaming PC you could think about a summer job or something like that. Then find someone that actually knows computer hardware (maybe this same forum) and try to choose components within your budget. If you have a monitor, speakers and so on, and all you need is a computer case with internal parts, you can probably get a decent system for $700 or less.
Hehe... you didnt sounded like a douchebag, but yeah thats what i thought, most of people with high end PC are adults with better jobs, i can get money, but it will take a long time, but i think i will have to do it. Thanks for the tips.

yubyub96 said:
So what do you think i would have to sacrifice in The witcher 3 to have an smooth gameplay? AA? Dof?

Probably a bit of everything :p Resolution, lights, shadows, depth of field, effects like blur and ambient occlusion, antialiasing, etc. And most likely your own comfort, playing it at unreasonable speeds.

It is too early to say really since we don't know anything about TW3. But if I were you I would start looking for ways to get a better system. As Guy pointed out your system barely handles TW2, so it might simply not make it for TW3 unless something really fantastic, and unusual, happens.

If you have access to a desktop computer at home maybe you can upgrade some parts, like the power supply and the video card.

next year i m gonna change GPU and SMPS...
i m just waiting for TW3 just release and specification requirement for it...then i will think about upgrading

It makes sense to get the money ready but avoid buying until you actually NEED the new PC (or components, or console, or whatever). Prices usually fall.

dragonbird said:
It makes sense to get the money ready but avoid buying until you actually NEED the new PC (or components, or console, or whatever). Prices usually fall.

its a good advice actually...

Volsung said:
If you have access to a desktop computer at home maybe you can upgrade some parts, like the power supply and the video card.

I have a desktop computer in my house, but its very old, like 2009 more or less, do you think i could upload it? it has very small ram and bad processor, would it be better to keep that old machine and perhaps use what it has left that could be of help? or start from scratch? any place where i can learn more on building a desktop gaming PC?

2009 isn't that old for a desktop, so it could be upgradeable. If you can find out the specs, it would be worth posting them, and someone may be able to advise.

I am able to run the witcher 2 on both my laptop and stationary and I do hope it doesnt have to high settings if you want to play on lets say low settings

IsengrimR

Lol... To be fair, I think I need to share a story here. When TW2 came out I was still on my old desktop PC ( now I have a new one ( well, it's one year old but still ) so runs TW2 perfectly, but I digress), and on that old PC I was able to run TW2... on 800x600 resolution, lowest settings.
Loading times were the death of me...
I did still beat the game 3 times on that old shitty PC.

But back on track... I think that if You were able to run TW2 on semi-high settings You should be able to run TW3 - it's just my estimation though.

Although I am not worried about the specs for myself, I do hope that they pay attention to optimising everything instead of throwing 4K textures at every asset ( i know 4K isn't used in games, it is an exaggeration.
Not everyone has the money to buy an ultra high end PC and I believe that very few people will buy a whole new computer just to play one game, so sure make it very pretty to look at but keep it realistic there comes a point where the increase in graphical quality doesn't weigh up against the loss in performance.

At least make it playable on mid end computers.

Anyhow can't wait to start with The Witcher 3

Top Bottom