If you make multiplayer at all, please do it as a separate game

+

VelWu

Forum regular
Hey there,

I hope this message reaches the developers or people who have connections to them in time.

All news seem to indicate that a multiplayer project is underway for Cyberpunk, currently in Research & Development. I am as hopeful about it as I was about Mass Effect and Dragon Age multiplayer, which means not very. But this is CDPR, so maybe a little hopeful.

TL; DR Please do it as a separate product. Not as a DLC of CP2077. A completely separate application.

(1) Your marketing will be easier this way. You can advertise CP multiplayer as a new product and nurture another hype, without antagonizing your core fan base / singleplayer fans.

(2) Reviews for it will be more relevant. People are likely to judge it for what it will be, instead of trying to apply the extremely-high expectations they have for CP2077 on it.

(3) This allows you to have clear allocation of work, so certain important devs won't be forced into burnout by having to support two fundamentally different games. Mass Effect 3 and Dragon Age Inquisition both fell short because devs had to make multiplayer, and the core singleplayer experience were harmed.

(4) This minimizes CP2077's vulnerability to China's strict censorship / evaluation policies.
- China's National Radio and Television Administration (國家廣播電視總局) is way more lenient when reviewing singleplayer games. Sometimes, singleplayer games are even exempt from reviews because, since people can't communicate in game there is no risk of spreading and nurturing ideas "harmful to the country".

- I suspect this is why CP2077 was able to enter China's market at all, despite its highly anti-government, anti-social-construct, and generally adult themes, and why we haven't heard any news about crazy censorship forced on it from China.

- The Administration focuses its review works on primarily TV shows and especially strictly online, multiplayer games. If CP2077 gets multiplayer as a DLC / component, it will risk coming under a stricter review and that will probably include the singleplayer components (if they are the same product).

Although I am not from China, and I cannot provide concrete proof to No.(4) but let's say I have a friend of a friend who have a good handle on some insider knowledge.

I know including (4) is a risky move. I am aware that we're not supposed to discuss real world politics here, so am sticking to listing facts (to the best I can). This thread is created in the interest to see CP2077 be a successful and authentic game. Please do not derail it in a political discussion. Let's keep it relevant so the devs or project managers can see it. (y)

Thanks and take care.

We of course can't assume one thing or another but it would make sense if they used Grand theft Auto online as the influence. This is not like a fanboy reply or anything I don't currently play GTA online but with a few positive tweaks I think GTA online definitely set the standard for single player to multiplayer. We won't talk about them not following their own example in their following AAA title That's for another discussion lol but yeah.

Sild

Ex-moderator
Cyberpunk 2077 will be a single player RPG. The online component will come later in a the form of a separate game. Here is what Adam Kicinski said in an investor Q&A call some time ago:

"Currently we are working on Cyberpunk and multiplayer as the next big games. The AAA release we're working on in parallel is Cyberpunk multiplayer--it's a code name for it--and the date of release will probably go past 2021 with the move of Cyberpunk 2077"

Hey there,

I hope this message reaches the developers or people who have connections to them in time.

All news seem to indicate that a multiplayer project is underway for Cyberpunk, currently in Research & Development. I am as hopeful about it as I was about Mass Effect and Dragon Age multiplayer, which means not very. But this is CDPR, so maybe a little hopeful.

TL; DR Please do it as a separate product. Not as a DLC of CP2077. A completely separate application.

(1) Your marketing will be easier this way. You can advertise CP multiplayer as a new product and nurture another hype, without antagonizing your core fan base / singleplayer fans.

(2) Reviews for it will be more relevant. People are likely to judge it for what it will be, instead of trying to apply the extremely-high expectations they have for CP2077 on it.

(3) This allows you to have clear allocation of work, so certain important devs won't be forced into burnout by having to support two fundamentally different games. Mass Effect 3 and Dragon Age Inquisition both fell short because devs had to make multiplayer, and the core singleplayer experience were harmed.

(4) This minimizes CP2077's vulnerability to China's strict censorship / evaluation policies.
- China's National Radio and Television Administration (國家廣播電視總局) is way more lenient when reviewing singleplayer games. Sometimes, singleplayer games are even exempt from reviews because, since people can't communicate in game there is no risk of spreading and nurturing ideas "harmful to the country".

- I suspect this is why CP2077 was able to enter China's market at all, despite its highly anti-government, anti-social-construct, and generally adult themes, and why we haven't heard any news about crazy censorship forced on it from China.

- The Administration focuses its review works on primarily TV shows and especially strictly online, multiplayer games. If CP2077 gets multiplayer as a DLC / component, it will risk coming under a stricter review and that will probably include the singleplayer components (if they are the same product).

Although I am not from China, and I cannot provide concrete proof to No.(4) but let's say I have a friend of a friend who have a good handle on some insider knowledge.

I know including (4) is a risky move. I am aware that we're not supposed to discuss real world politics here, so am sticking to listing facts (to the best I can). This thread is created in the interest to see CP2077 be a successful and authentic game. Please do not derail it in a political discussion. Let's keep it relevant so the devs or project managers can see it. (y)

Thanks and take care.
Agreed

Top Bottom