if you're a cyberpunk (genre) junkie like me

+
i was excited for this game, not because i'm a huge CDPR fan, which i am, but because i'm a huge fan of the genre. from philip k dick's do android's dream of electric sheep, total recall, scanner darkly or isaac asimov's foundation series and i robot or william gibson's neuromancer, ghost in the shell stand alone complex and richard k morgan's altered carbon. to me these books help illustrate what the cyberpunk genre is.

each has a unique take on the genre, from advanced ai to mind altering artificial realities or deep political interactions between space colonies. however when it comes down to the meat of these books, you find that deep down they all have strong film-noir detective vibes. each is tasked with a mission to uncover some truth. they do so with the aid of advanced technology and unlikely friends. only through these environmental and personal narratives does the reader become acquainted with the world.

i could go on for hours about the topic, but i know people nowadays have a short attention span so i'll just get to the point i'm trying to make. i've found this game has a lot to offer if you don't rush it. think of each mission, side mission and job as an opportunity to become more acquainted with this rich world. it's easy to point out the things about the game you don't like, but you'll only be setting yourself up for frustration through a self fulfilling prophesy. instead, why not divine some entertainment, as you pretend you're a detective, tasked with uncovering why events are playing out the way they are.

i was excited for this game, not because i'm a huge CDPR fan, which i am, but because i'm a huge fan of the genre. from philip k dick's do android's dream of electric sheep, total recall, scanner darkly or isaac asimov's foundation series and i robot or william gibson's neuromancer, ghost in the shell stand alone complex and richard k morgan's altered carbon. to me these books help illustrate what the cyberpunk genre is.

each has a unique take on the genre, from advanced ai to mind altering artificial realities or deep political interactions between space colonies. however when it comes down to the meat of these books, you find that deep down they all have strong film-noir detective vibes. each is tasked with a mission to uncover some truth. they do so with the aid of advanced technology and unlikely friends. only through these environmental and personal narratives does the reader become acquainted with the world.

i could go on for hours about the topic, but i know people nowadays have a short attention span so i'll just get to the point i'm trying to make. i've found this game has a lot to offer if you don't rush it. think of each mission, side mission and job as an opportunity to become more acquainted with this rich world. it's easy to point out the things about the game you don't like, but you'll only be setting yourself up for frustration through a self fulfilling prophesy. instead, why not divine some entertainment, as you pretend you're a detective, tasked with uncovering why events are playing out the way they are.

but, only one thing, in this vast world, let me sad, very to be honest, ll have a end. I dont want the end. :( (i have now 126 hours, many things to do yet)

Last edited:
Well... We will have digital extensions to our virtual life.

(1290 hours, 2 full playthroughs, 95% achievs)

I'll say it's about 500 hours for the present content and 1/2 ending(s) if you are not porting everywhere. I like the world, I do not need to transport instantly, I would have liked the metro or busses implemented mroe fully, but running AND driving (motor/running for the center, and I used the 4 WD Shion for the rest of the city and surroundings) will work as well, it was the only one I could keep on the road, it should be better now, but when preferences have been made....

I really like the way they portray the cyberpunk dystopia in Night City and their take on the existential crisis.

I never understood the reason as to why William Gibson is called the father of cyberpunk genre, for me it was always, and will always be Phillip K. Dick.

Now the fact that Gibson came out and called Cyberpunk 2077 a GTA skin doesn't exactly help his case... lol.

As for your gameplay suggestion, yeah I tend to appropriate different play styles to different characters. I particularly enjoyed my ghost corpo dead set to not disturb the status quo in any of the missions and usually infiltrate undetected while uncovering the machinations behind the events presented.

I really like the way they portray the cyberpunk dystopia in Night City and their take on the existential crisis.

I never understood the reason as to why William Gibson is called the father of cyberpunk genre, for me it was always, and will always be Phillip K. Dick.

Now the fact that Gibson came out and called Cyberpunk 2077 a GTA skin doesn't exactly help his case... lol.

As for your gameplay suggestion, yeah I tend to appropriate different play styles to different characters. I particularly enjoyed my ghost corpo dead set to not disturb the status quo in any of the missions and usually infiltrate undetected while uncovering the machinations behind the events presented.
The same here. Also, I watched a long interview with Pondsmith, he seems to be glad how the world is presented in the game. I respect William Gibson (I love his books), but there is a difference between how a world should be presented in a book, movie, or a game.

If I recall correctly,Gibson later said that he liked more because it had "dirt on the edges"... i think he made the comment based on some 2018 demo/trailer( the one many people uses to cry "cut content")
All original cyberpunk writers,acknowledge Dick,Ballard as inspiration...but Dick dystopias explored more philosophical themes...some people call it pre-cyberpunk. I don't consider "do androids..." cyberpunk and "blade runner"has cyberpunk aesthetics (or maybe,the expectations of cyberpunk city landscapes are set by the film) but is a noir film at its core(the film itself,is not a great adaptation of the book). But is like a academic discussion since "cyberpunk" is a blend of genres(and most authors included Gibson moved somehow apart because it started to be like a joke since new books were written following a paint by numbers method).

If I recall correctly,Gibson later said that he liked more because it had "dirt on the edges"... i think he made the comment based on some 2018 demo/trailer( the one many people uses to cry "cut content")
All original cyberpunk writers,acknowledge Dick,Ballard as inspiration...but Dick dystopias explored more philosophical themes...some people call it pre-cyberpunk. I don't consider "do androids..." cyberpunk and "blade runner"has cyberpunk aesthetics (or maybe,the expectations of cyberpunk city landscapes are set by the film) but is a noir film at its core(the film itself,is not a great adaptation of the book). But is like a academic discussion since "cyberpunk" is a blend of genres(and most authors included Gibson moved somehow apart because it started to be like a joke since new books were written following a paint by numbers method).

Fair point, it's more dystopia/noir (cybernoir?!) rather than ''punk''.

I guess nowadays anything that's neo-futurist, dystopian, sci-fi thriller is getting somewhat categorized in the cyberpunk genre (guilty of that :D).

While what I'd classify as ''pure'' cyberpunk would be the film called Hackers, which would be in the same ballpark as Neuromancer and Cyberpunk 2020/2077 to some extent but focuses solely on the two terms presented in the categorization, ''cyber'' and ''punk''.

Also I vaguely remember that Gibson coined the term cyberpunk through the creation of Neuromancer which is fair enough.

Fair point, it's more dystopia/noir (cybernoir?!) rather than ''punk''.

I guess nowadays anything that's neo-futurist, dystopian, sci-fi thriller is getting somewhat categorized in the cyberpunk genre (guilty of that :D).

While what I'd classify as ''pure'' cyberpunk would be the film called Hackers, which would be in the same ballpark as Neuromancer and Cyberpunk 2020/2077 to some extent but focuses solely on the two terms presented in the categorization, ''cyber'' and ''punk''.

Also I vaguely remember that Gibson coined the term cyberpunk through the creation of Neuromancer which is fair enough.
As I said,is more academical at the end.But you are right about Dick being huge influence.
Hackers was a great film, I also liked (the mainframe was called a "Gibson").
Gibson for example said that "shadowrun" was an abomination also,so even if he kind of created the genre(the name cyberpunk is from a story by Bethke I think) he is not the owner.Some people don't like steampunk,but gibson wrote "the difference engine" with Sterling (is steampunk more valid approach than shadowrun?).

As I said,is more academical at the end.But you are right about Dick being huge influence.
Hackers was a great film, I also liked (the mainframe was called a "Gibson").
Gibson for example said that "shadowrun" was an abomination also,so even if he kind of created the genre(the name cyberpunk is from a story by Bethke I think) he is not the owner.Some people don't like steampunk,but gibson wrote "the difference engine" with Sterling (is steampunk more valid approach than shadowrun?).

Food for thought.

I think the main influence of the genre relies on the psychological, existentialist and dystopic elements to some extent, it's the approach that differs while the essence remains the same (individualism), I suppose cyberpunk is a widely recognized term which makes it easy to categorize certain works of fiction with.

I suppose that this would make Dick the father of the cyberpunk idea :).

I admit I enjoyed Cyberpunk so much because of what I was bringing to it after years of being a fan of the genre, it may be that the game is an example of something being greater than the sum of its parts.
My only real disappointment was that I wasn't able to recreate a 1:1 cosplay of Molly Millions in the game, razors and all.

Do the androids dream of electric sheep is technically cyberpunk, but the genre "cyberpunk" didn't officially exist when the book was first published.

Agree OP, the game ABSOLUTELY nails the 'cyberpunk genre vibe', from any number of angles and reference points that anyone would care to mention. FWIW I have zero interest in the trials tribulations or successes of any company, they're a company, who cares, but I do have all the time in the world for excellent products, especially ones that tap into an existing area of interest for me. CP2077 nails it.

edit - re. William Gibson - hadn't seen (or much care about) his comments on the game, seems fair enough if you glance superficially at it (Lex Fridman erroneously jumped to a similar quick-glance conclusion) but in all fairness to the guy he was always willing to acknowledge that he ripped his ideas off other people's work, and thus had no great room for complaint when folk came along and ripped his work off. I doubt very much that he would ever consider himself the godfather of anything, far too sensible and normal a bloke to use marketing-blx language like that. :)

Last edited:
I said :
I don't consider
Do the androids dream of electric sheep is technically cyberpunk, but the genre "cyberpunk" didn't officially exist when the book was first published.
Labels are normally retro-fitted even if the word didn´t exist when the work was created, is not because "do androids" was written before the term was coined imho.

I know people would disagree, but I don´t think it deals with any of the major cyberpunk themes as impact of technology on society(androids are not used in Earth at all) ,the consequences of uncontrolled free-market (the Rosen-Tyrell Corporation in the film- actually have to answer to Police requirements and are barred of commercializing androids on Earth by the UN-this points that is science-fiction, the UN able to enforce something-), doesn´t question the status quo of the world presented at all.Its (for me) a work that explores what makes a human,human-with some Androids more human than some humans-
I don´t think that every work that has cyborg,robots,androids,AI fits the "cyberpunk" genre (but again, mostly "academic" discussion and with a personal bias).

Last edited:
I also love the cyberpunk world CDPR created.
I wish they create a new skin for V in a DLC like the Netflix carbon so we can continue the game.

The ongoing argument is back :)

Cyberpunk was a sub culture defined by the people who were into it. Ironically there wasn't as much in the way of ITC back then. So things didn't get quite so boxed up as they do now(although, lord knows, people tried). That meant it was mutable. Being Mutable meant it was alive. Don't box it up and kill it.

Also no one ever mentions Metropolis. Asimov got a mention by the OP. Pretty seminal stuff as far as Cyberpunk goes. Games like System shock and Dues Ex were stepping stones, on the way here, too.

But back to topic. OP is right. They nailed to Cyberpunk look and feel. A much harder thing to do than it sounds. Its also worth mentioning that if CDPR stuffed one more sci-fi reference into the game it would probably explode. I have really enjoyed this game as an immersive role playing experience. Same with the gameplay although there are some balancing issues. You can Literally be Neo, Trinity ,Case, Molly etc etc in this game.

The launch was a clusterF@*k but lets not throw the baby out with the bathwater. CDPR are onto something with this game and I want to see more.

Top Bottom