Ignorance is bliss, and stupidity is contagious.

+
Ignorance is bliss, and stupidity is contagious.

One of my favorite things in low fantasy style settings is the lack of education, and the many amusing situations it can lead to. We have already seen plenty of stupid villagers in the demo, and Johnie was comparatively smarter than the local population, but not by much. Geralt on the other hand is a highly intelligent experienced monster hunter with an understanding of the world rivaling the highest intellectuals. I feel that this should bring up some very funny situations on par with the "harpy feather costume", or "this medallion will totally protect you unarmored in combat" incidents.

I wouldn't say Geralt is a highly intelligent intellectual rival but he's an experienced man who talks real. No BS and uses real life(well HIS real life) as examples. He says the "real" things not the "right" things if that makes any sense.

But yes, it's quite a contradictory world where people can be completely foolish but also know concepts like mutation for example.

I wouldn't say Geralt is a highly intelligent intellectual rival but he's an experienced man who talks real. No BS and uses real life(well HIS real life) as examples. He says the "real" things not the "right" things if that makes any sense.

But yes, it's quite a contradictory world where people can be completely foolish but also know concepts like mutation for example.

Right, and I am hoping for some more very awesome dry humor from that. Also the the "ignorant" descriptions of supernatural events, and monsters seems to give them a new sort of life. Having some ass hole just ask me to go kill a monster for him is kind of a buzz kill, but having some half crazed farmer with his brain baked from working out in the fields all day describe his bizzare interpretation of noon wraiths that I need go investigate really sets the mood well.

Geralt is a man who is a lot smarter than he looks, he is fiercely intelligent and highly observant, and as sid said, he talks no BS (though he is very sarcastic at the same time).

The thing that gets me, is that how uneducated people are well presented in the Witcher games, for example:
In the La Vallette siege in the prologue of Witcher 2, some captured civilians of the castle were held up for treason, they actually had no idea nor any understanding of why the Temarian army conquered the castle, they didn't even know that Lady Mary La Vallette actually rebelled against Foltest and I wouldn't be surprised, as "normal" people in those times didn't care about politics nor did they understand it.

And there are many other examples, it makes you appreciate the years you had to spend at school at least :p

Last edited:
Geralt is a man who is a lot smarter than he looks, he is fiercely intelligent and highly observant, and as sid said, he talks no BS (though he is very sarcastic at the same time).

The thing that gets me, is that how uneducated people are well presented in the Witcher games, for example:
In the La Vallette siege in the prologue of Witcher 2, some captured civilians of the castle were held up for treason, they actually had no idea nor any understanding of why the Temarian army conquered the castle, they didn't even know that Lady Mary La Vallette actually rebelled against Foltest and I wouldn't be surprised, as "normal" people in those times didn't care about politics nor did they understand it.

And there are many other examples, it makes you appreciate the years you had to spend at school at least :p

I don't know if those people where surfs, or not, but that would be a good reason that they didn't know what was going on. Nobody would think they even had the right to know including them selves.

I don't know if those people where surfs, or not, but that would be a good reason that they didn't know what was going on. Nobody would think they even had the right to know including them selves.

The Medieval period is a fascinating period of history, though I would never want to live in that time period, ever :p

Would you release us soldier sir?

"Shut yer trap, you are charged with TREASON"

By analogy with the real world, they would be "villeins", the most common class of medieval serf: peasants who were bound to their share of the lord's lands. They were not without rights, but they weren't likely to know much beyond the price of grain at market.

"What treason, m'lord?"

Last edited:
By analogy with the real world, they would be "villeins", the most common class of medieval serf: peasants who were bound to their share of the lord's lands. They were not without rights, but they weren't likely to know much beyond the price of grain at market.

"What treason, m'lord?"

"Dat eh new type oh grain?!"

How about the old woman in the swamps who tells Geralt that his reward for completing her quest is that he can roam the swamps as much as he wants? Geralt replies that it is such an honor. It's even funnier in Polish because the word swamp is frequently used as a metaphor for a thing or situation that is completely bereft of positive qualities.

One of my favorite things in low fantasy style settings is the lack of education, and the many amusing situations it can lead to. We have already seen plenty of stupid villagers in the demo, and Johnie was comparatively smarter than the local population, but not by much. Geralt on the other hand is a highly intelligent experienced monster hunter with an understanding of the world rivaling the highest intellectuals. I feel that this should bring up some very funny situations on par with the "harpy feather costume", or "this medallion will totally protect you unarmored in combat" incidents.

I always saw Geralt as "Wise and Worldly". Because of the nature of his job, he realizes that information is valuable, and actively seeks to take the path of self-education before he takes to his swords. He doesn't come across as an "intellectual" (the likes of which are often exuded from Wizards, Sorcerers and their ilk with their "high and mighty" demeanors and how often them openly scoff commonfolk.

As for swordplay, he is calculated and decisive, not brash and boastful. Even in the way he moves around his opponent, he is constantly in a stance to deal with the current situation. acrobatic enough to evade danger, but fluid enough to return that momentum to a state of attack. His wisdom opens up in battle when you mix item/potion/sign use, allowing him to knock down enemy defenses or provide a handicap expertly over his opponents.

In social situations, he's always been a quiet and reserved conversationalist. Inquisitive by nature and manipulative when need be. He states things as a matter of fact and reasoning deduction rather than accusation-al or here-say. His relationship with close personal friends is still relatively reserved, not giving up too much more than he does in casual conversation with commoners, but when cracking a joke, he does so with slight cynicism and dark sarcasm; A witty and silver-lining tipped psyche that was probably made more crass by what he's seen in his worldly travels.

This is pretty much how I see Geralt's character.

Information is power, always has been and always will. This was heavily present in the books and I love it. :)

It's always interesting in fantasy how things turn out because usually there is no way to quickly pass information on how events unfold, magic telecoms excluded. There's always misinformation and people jump to conclusions based on rumors, which often are false, but people do love a good story or at least someone to blame for their misgivings.

Even though there are couriers that ride like crazy, it still takes time and they can also be killed.
It gets even more interesting when they drop some tidbits of info when changing horses or just stopping for a quick rest at a pub. A small half truth can turn into a nasty rumor, that can sway people's opinion in unpredictable ways.

Now we have a big world to explore in TW3, it will be interesting to see how fast information travels between regions and with what accuracy. :)

All this talk of Geralt's education made me think of Nenneke, I really hope we get to see her!
Aye, I'm resting in Ellander for a reason. All that chastising wisdom from good old Nenneke is a treat. And then there are the priestesses of Melitele. Bonus. ^_^

On topic I'm thinking of Edge of the World where Geralt and Dandilion are in Upper and Lower Posada. Outside of 'civilisation' where superstitious people are merely going about in their ways, tending their fields, occasionally looking to an old book for wisdom. And of course they talk funnily enough to influence both Geralt and Dandilion to start talking the same way.

"'Yet ye gaveth of balls a sackful. Ye furnished him with ammunition for two years, the fools ye be!'

'Careful' smiled the witcher. 'You are starting to fall into their jargon. It's infectious.'"

I loved that detail. :happy:

More importantly the passage about knowledge and belief.

"No, it's impossible. I was watching them carefully, and I know people. They weren't lying.'

'No,' the witcher agreed. 'They weren't lying. They firmly believed it all. Which doesn't change the facts.'"

Just looking this up made me hungry for a reread! :lol:

All this talk of Geralt's education made me think of Nenneke, I really hope we get to see her!

Well,
If my memory serves me , in the aftermath of the battle of Brena, it was mentioned that Neneke died a couple of years after the events of the last book. So, since the Witcher 3 takes place 6 years after the last book, she may already be dead.

Top Bottom