I'm a bit disappointed CDPR decided to stick with "levels".

+
actually.. i am oke with this IF!!

1. i can turn of the lvl indicator
2. lvl's do not grow with V lvl growth

Weapons do not have levels according to every impression I've seen that discussed it.

Skillup mentioned @10:42 in his video about finding identical pistols with different stats on them (such as different damage types or dps), which reminds me of Witcher 3 hence i assumed that they must have different level requirements too..

Sadly this is the only impression i found where they talk about loot, pls link me any other sources on this topic if you have read/watched any.

Is this more of a speculation or did someone confirm that in their impression? I seem to have missed that..
Weapons do not have levels according to every impression I've seen that discussed it.
Skillup mentioned @10:42 in his video about finding identical pistols with different stats on them (such as different damage types or dps), which reminds me of Witcher 3 hence i assumed that they must have different level requirements too..

Sadly this is the only impression i found where they talk about loot, pls link me any other sources on this topic if you have read/watched any.
For sure you can't buy weapons until you reach the required street cred level (that is confirmed), same weapons with different stats annoy me a lot (I'm learning this from you and I'm pretty sure that's true) but at least it seems they're not level gated. Most likely enemies drop only weapons you can "handle" (journalists say they haven't found locked weapons).

It talks about vendors by the end of the video. The most informative I've watched so far.

Leveled enemies isn't an ideal solution either. Far from that. I see it more as a compromise.
i feel like the complexity of the conversation we're having proves that the myriad ways of implementing progression in a game means that at some point--like 8 years of development--you do have to make the call, and compromise.

In a theoric level-less CP77 that has street cred working as reputation, street cred (obtained by completing both main and side quests) would gate fixers who would gate missions: nobody would hire mr nobody to infiltrate a military base and steal a prototype, you need to have a reputation first.
would you still see your numeric level, or would you just get a text from a fixer/shop/ripperdoc/etc you've already contacted saying, 'i've got new work/guns/cyberware/etc for you' ? i could see that working

I would rather get what we got in the pen & paper version; money and better stuff.
i mostly agree with your whole post from this quote, but how would you account for actual skills and their usage? or would that be baked into the betterness of the stuff?
i would still take into account your character's proficiency. Monster Hunter World and Dark Souls give you the option of wearing and using anything you buy or are able to find. but your character can't actually use all of it with any accuracy until you've 'leveled' the proficiency related to that stuff. but CP2077 seems to have understood well that you have to use the specific thing to be good at the specific thing. to me this is considerate of how someone would 'rprogress'.; you can't use rifles your entire time and expect to be proficient with your fists. BUT personally i wouldn't lock any 'active skills' or 'equippable items' behind any gates, but behind an active skill check (think throwing a dart at a dart board, but the bullseye's size depends on your relationship to the skill check; even if it's 'levels' above you, passing the check is passing the check, like getting a lucky d20 roll in a PnP game). and every time you pass a check on that particular skill (or successfully engage that item) you increase the proficiency of that skill/item, which makes subsequent checks that much easier. i hope i've not been too obtuse or unclear. i really like building progression systems :]

but this conversation with you Secretz brings me back to my first comment: at some point you have to make the call and compromise on aspects of your vision. which may lead to just adopting something more easily understandable, like numeric levels

Damn, I hope there will be a way to upgrade damage to your level or a least detach mods and add them to another one.

i feel like the complexity of the conversation we're having proves that the myriad ways of implementing progression in a game means that at some point--like 8 years of development--you do have to make the call, and compromise.

would you still see your numeric level, or would you just get a text from a fixer/shop/ripperdoc/etc you've already contacted saying, 'i've got new work/guns/cyberware/etc for you' ? i could see that working

i mostly agree with your whole post from this quote, but how would you account for actual skills and their usage? or would that be baked into the betterness of the stuff?
i would still take into account your character's proficiency. Monster Hunter World and Dark Souls give you the option of wearing and using anything you buy or are able to find. but your character can't actually use all of it with any accuracy until you've 'leveled' the proficiency related to that stuff. but CP2077 seems to have understood well that you have to use the specific thing to be good at the specific thing. to me this is considerate of how someone would 'rprogress'.; you can't use rifles your entire time and expect to be proficient with your fists. BUT personally i wouldn't lock any 'active skills' or 'equippable items' behind any gates, but behind an active skill check (think throwing a dart at a dart board, but the bullseye's size depends on your relationship to the skill check; even if it's 'levels' above you, passing the check is passing the check, like getting a lucky d20 roll in a PnP game). and every time you pass a check on that particular skill (or successfully engage that item) you increase the proficiency of that skill/item, which makes subsequent checks that much easier. i hope i've not been too obtuse or unclear. i really like building progression systems :]

but this conversation with you Secretz brings me back to my first comment: at some point you have to make the call and compromise on aspects of your vision. which may lead to just adopting something more easily understandable, like numeric levels
Text/dialogue would be much more appreciated of course. Everything that pulls me away from immersion is a flaw in my point of view.

@Mybrokenenglish we are certainly in agreement then. npc's/fixers don't even need to tell you things you aren't 'leveled' up enough for. we as players wouldn't even be aware we're being gated...kinda how it would play irl. 'you been holding out on jobs for me Dex?' 'V, you weren't qualified to know'

...or a least detach mods and add them to another one.
i have such a good idea how this would work :sad: but it's genuinely convoluted and prenatal in my brain right now. but the potential >.<

in glimpses we've seen Purple indicating 'epic quality' loot on weapons and clothing. how that relates to 'levels' we don't know yet.

i like the route in games where (for example) you could 'equip' the giant sword, but if you weren't proficient with 'giant sword type' then you'd take a hit to accuracy/speed/stamina cost/etc but there's no detriment to base damage
so if V is 'level 1' in rifles but grabs an epic pistol, she can use it and it does it's base damage, but you take a hit to accuracy/reload/distance(?)/etc

in glimpses we've seen Purple indicating 'epic quality' loot on weapons and clothing. how that relates to 'levels' we don't know yet.
No. By "levels" I mean there is no requirement so far as we know that "V must be level 18 to use weapon X." An items rarity is distinct from level requirements.

No. By "levels" I mean there is no requirement so far as we know that "V must be level 18 to use weapon X." An items rarity is distinct from level requirements.
that's why i said we don't know if rarity is connected to level, whether that's character level or skill level. in most games there's a correlation, which is why CP2077 may decide that there's one. AC Origins and Odyssey didn't have super hard correlation between level and rarity. most of what you found matched your level and then if you liked it for whatever reason you could upgrade it to your current level.

we await CP2077's decision on the matter :]

I read in a preview that someone didn't meet the street cred requirement to buy a gun. And since street cred unlocks more stuff on the map, I assume this reputation is the new 'player level requirement'.

Example from my understanding: no matter the player level you can use any weapon available in the game, but to get said weapon you need the required amount of street cred either to be able to buy it, or to be able to unlock the part of the map and vendor to get access to it, or both.

I read in a preview that someone didn't meet the street cred requirement to buy a gun. And since street cred unlocks more stuff on the map, I assume this reputation is the new 'player level requirement'.

Example from my understanding: no matter the player level you can use any weapon available in the game, but to get said weapon you need the required amount of street cred either to be able to buy it, or to be able to unlock the part of the map and vendor to get access to it, or both.
For items, yes, I understood it the same way. For enemies though, classic levels with bullet sponges and increased DMG are still a thing.

But supposedly you can't buy some guns, because their street cred level is too high, and V's street cred level is too low.

So technically... :giveup:
Post automatically merged:

For sure you can't buy weapons until you reach the required street cred level (that is confirmed), same weapons with different stats annoy me a lot (I'm learning this from you and I'm pretty sure that's true) but at least it seems they're not level gated. Most likely enemies drop only weapons you can "handle" (journalists say they haven't found locked weapons).

It talks about vendors by the end of the video. The most informative I've watched so far.
But surely, being unable to by a gun because of street cred level is equal to being locked right?:shrug:

Remember, compromised hulls sink ships. Don't find a compromise, find a solution.

Last edited:
But supposedly you can't buy some guns, because their street cred level is too high, and V's street cred level is too low.

So technically... :giveup:

But surely, being unable to by a gun because of street cred level is equal to being locked right?:shrug:

Remember, compromised hulls sink ships. Don't find a compromise, find a solution.
Pretty much, yes. At least we won't have unusable weapons in our hand how it was in tw3. Same shit, but a little more elegant.

I don't understand, how will this be better in Cyberpunk2077? I'm still confused on what changed.
Difference is that in theory, enemies won't drop items you can't use and you will never have them in the inventory. If CDPR made things right (or better at least) vendors shouldn't show items you can't buy until you reached the required street cred level, but same for dialogue options, they like to show us even stuff we can't use.
Just to be clearer, I hate it, but it's a little better than TW3.
It still has the problem of identical items with different stats, which I really hate.

Top Bottom