I'm disappointed how romances are handled. It's like game doesn't care if you're with someone already.

+
Wrong. There was no option to stop V from flirting with River or completely tell him to stop flirting with her. It was possible only seconds before he wanted to bang her.
This is no longer a discussion just about a game. You're talking about what exactly you believe the game should do based on your own moral compass & what you think corresponds to faithful or unfaithful when it comes to a partner.

Me, I wouldn't say flirting with someone is unfaithful to my partner, but that's my belief & hence doesn't bother me in-game. The game doesn't assume that this would or wouldn't bother me, it simply presents me a three-wayed choice later. To assume that it would or wouldn't bother players would be to alienate those on the opposing side of the fence.

Basically, flirting =/= cheating for many people. The game simply can't make rash assumptions. The way the game handles this is an OK middle ground.

Edit: It wouldn't be hard to have an "Already with someone." option, but that's about as far it could go. No specific name-naming, that would require way deeper depth than we currently have.

This is no longer a discussion just about a game. You're talking about what exactly you believe the game should do based on your own moral compass & what you think corresponds to faithful or unfaithful when it comes to a partner.

Me, I wouldn't say flirting with someone is unfaithful to my partner, but that's my belief & hence doesn't bother me in-game. The game doesn't assume that this would or wouldn't bother me, it simply presents me a three-wayed choice later. To assume that it would or wouldn't bother players would be to alienate those on the opposing side of the fence.

Basically, flirting =/= cheating for many people. The game simply can't make rash assumptions.
When we play an rpg with dialogue options, with expect to have some choices in a matter. Like a choice to flirt or not to flirt, like a choice to cheat on your partner or not. CDPR constantly said that V is ours to shape, not theirs, yet during these situations it wasn't my V at all.

Basically, flirting =/= cheating for many people. The game simply can't make rash assumptions.

Edit: It wouldn't be hard to have an "Already with someone." option, but that's about as far it could go. No specific name-naming, that would require way deeper depth than we currently have.
Even if that is the case, the fact that you can flirt without any real consequences 100% of the time just breaks any real immersion you could get out of the relationship. It should be as simple as setting a variable in the dialogue code to change to true if you are in a relationship and then additional dialogue should pop up. it is just poor game design on CDPR's part.

When we play an rpg with dialogue options, with expect to have some choices in a matter. Like a choice to flirt or not to flirt, like a choice to cheat on your partner or not. CDPR constantly said that V is ours to shape, not theirs, yet during these situations it wasn't my V at all.
This I can't deny. We are given the illusion of having our own V. Sometimes it's enjoyable, sometimes not so much.

And another problem: My friend confirmed that Judy after she left NC constantly sends him text messages, but after the romance we got NOTHING? That's... like, wow.
You do get texts and different ones depending on if you romanced her as female or not as male. They can trigger anytime randomly, and they're quite cute. I think you even get a weapon from her sent to you.

I know that it's a shame we can't get her out for a ride or sleep with her anymore, but it's still something and definitely better than nothing.
By the way, the ending where you leave with Panam and Nomads, and you take Judy with you, is very heartwarming and hopeful. So at least there's that as well.

Even if that is the case, the fact that you can flirt without any real consequences 100% of the time just breaks any real immersion you could get out of the relationship. It should be as simple as setting a variable in the dialogue code to change to true if you are in a relationship and then additional dialogue should pop up. it is just poor game design on CDPR's part.
The problem with that is there would have to be a whole new few layers of depth into the game. A whole new, manageable relationship system. Without a new backend relationship system & frontend for it, we'd be pretty screwed. Something like that would take a lot of time, which unfortunately will most likely not be invested, into this at least. Also not being able to manage relations in a UI (with a deep relationship system) would cause so many problems for players. Really, I think it was just more effort than the developers thought it worth or could realistically pull off, so as a result, we have this. Which in its own right isn't terrible, but yeah the issues are definitely there. :ohstopit:

You do get texts and different ones depending on if you romanced her as female or not as male. They can trigger anytime randomly, and they're quite cute. I think you even get a weapon from her sent to you.

I know that it's a shame we can't get her out for a ride or sleep with her anymore, but it's still something and definitely better than nothing.
By the way, the ending where you leave with Panam and Nomads, and you take Judy with you, is very heartwarming and hopeful. So at least there's that as well.
Really? That's after we finish a romance with her? Then my game must be bugged, never got anything from Judy and I finished her romance pretty early in story.

Really? That's after we finish a romance with her? Then my game must be bugged, never got anything from Judy and I finished her romance pretty early in story.
I wouldn't be surprised if it's bugged for you, which is a shame.

The problem with that is there would have to be a whole new few layers of depth into the game. A whole new, manageable relationship system. Without a new backend relationship system & frontend for it, we'd be pretty screwed. Something like that would take a lot of time, which unfortunately will most likely not be invested, into this at least. Also not being able to manage relations in a UI (with a deep relationship system) would cause so many problems for players. Really, I think it was just more effort than the developers thought it worth or could realistically pull off, so as a result, we have this. Which in its own right isn't terrible, but yeah the issues are definitely there. :ohstopit:
I don't know if it's really that big of a problem. Relationships exist in every BioWare game, npc recognize it, they even talk to you about them and you can talk about it with them. It's really not that complex.

I have probably played for about 20 hours since I romanced her and haven't received anything from Judy so if it is true I am also bugged :(

Well, if she indeed sends some message after the romance, that's great. Here's hoping it'll trigger on my next game.

Speaking of... think you could manage post here screenshots of these texts? I'm really curious.
I'd like to see these texts too

"I'M DISAPPOINTED HOW ROMANCES ARE HANDLED. IT'S LIKE GAME DOESN'T CARE IF YOU'RE WITH SOMEONE ALREADY."

The game doesn't care at all about anything you do.

Well, if she indeed sends some message after the romance, that's great. Here's hoping it'll trigger on my next game.

Speaking of... think you could manage post here screenshots of these texts? I'm really curious.
Haven't romanced her yet myself, but this is what my friend sent me when I asked about it.
1608231752728.png

I doubt you would have to reinvent the wheel in order to implement basic programming logic like that. Hell it is implemented with the Lifepath system. Not a certain lifepath? Option doesn't pop up, simple.

Edit: The best way to implement if you want to try your luck at having relations outside your romance would be to tie actual skill checks to dialogue options such as the cool skill but thus, adding meaningful skill checks is it's own conversation. :(

Judy eventually asks you if your night with her was just a one night stand or something more. You can definitely say that you want more, but apparently it doesn't mean shit in a situation I mentioned in my OP.
I accidently picked the wrong option my first time there and BOY does she not take it well felt like a real asshole.
Post automatically merged:

Judy has to be one of my favorite characters in the game (mostly because she looks like someone I loved and lost, but also her character is great) and it's a shame they fuck her over at every turn and make her seem more like an object, a goal rather than a person you can romance.
Yeah the ending with V having destroyed Arasaka but only having 6mths to live and all of a sudden my V is treating her like shit and has turned into a complete asshole and I'm like wtf that is NOT MY CHARACTER WHO IS THIS IMPOSTER. My V might've felt like shit for dying but she would NEVER treat her girlfriend like that in any way shape or form. Its downright abusive.

Its still better than the suicide ending though. That ending makes V the SECOND girlfriend Judy has ever had die to suicide and that message she leaves you made me feel like the biggest bastard in the world even though I personally think the suicide ending is, ironically, one of the only endings where V had any form of agency, and is one of the better endings.

Nomad is best though, two lesbians riding off into the sunset on a motherfuggin FLYING TANK is #relationshipgoals if I have ever seen it.

Last edited:
I accidently picked the wrong option my first time there and BOY does she not take it well felt like a real asshole.
Post automatically merged:

Yeah the ending with V having destroyed Arasaka but only having 6mths to live and all of a sudden my V is treating her like shit and has turned into a complete asshole and I'm like wtf that is NOT MY CHARACTER WHO IS THIS IMPOSTER. My V might've felt like shit for dying but she would NEVER treat her girlfriend like that in any way shape or form. Its downright abusive.

Its still better than the suicide ending though. That ending makes V the SECOND girlfriend Judy has ever had die to suicide and that message she leaves you made me feel like the biggest bastard in the world even though I personally think the suicide ending is, ironically, one of the only endings where V had any form of agency, and is one of the better endings.

Nomad is best though, two lesbians riding off into the sunset on a motherfuggin FLYING TANK is #relationshipgoals if I have ever seen it.
I watched the ending where you wake up next to Judy in night city and it really sucks the game doesn't seem to give you the opportunity to say "You know what? Fuck Night City and this reputation I have, let's go together because that is what is more important." Just another railroad for your character to go on by the handy dandy narrative department. :coolstory:

I watched the ending where you wake up next to Judy in night city and it really sucks the game doesn't seem to give you the opportunity to say "You know what? Fuck Night City and this reputation I have, let's go together because that is what is more important." Just another railroad for your character to go on by the handy dandy narrative department. :coolstory:
Implementing a feature that lets you sleep in your romances apartment and then wake up to them in bed would be dope. Just casually giving them a kiss would nice too. And this is not something that is hard to do for a company like this.

Top Bottom