Opinions on Gwent's Current State

+
Two weaks ago I was super mad about the hotfix. After taking a break for one weak, I started playing again - but just for fun, no grinding. I had to remove Triss from my favorite deck (because the Second Wind provision changed to 11) and I wasn't expecting anything, in fact I was tired after a long day of work and I didn't care at all since the hotfix totally killed it for me. Played some matches and in the end I even managed to rank up. :shrug:

Long story short: The hotfix doesn't seem to work and I can totally see where you comming from, but maybe you need to revalue card advantage because it's not always the key to win, and as far as I can tell it never was...
A two card advantage though? That's what he wrote.

One card advantage in R3 is a usually a difference maker, a 2 card advantage however should be insurmountable if you hit your cards (and generally means your opponent F'd up).

I also lost today to SK Second Wind having two card avantage.

Second Wind is broken. Nerfing it does not help the cause. It must be changed.

Another stupid thing are mulligan draws. Why thrown away cards are not put at the bottom of my deck? I've lost so many game cause of card draws. I was sure Gwent exludes rng and focusing on deck building abilities and skillful gameplay, but I was so so wrong. You can't rely on your cards anymore cause sometimes you never see them.

I'm fuming after last game I had just now. I've lost another match cause I'm redrawing bloody bronzes that I threw away looking for golds. I've ran away from Hearthstone, cause it was a game for casuals with no skill required to play - unfortuantely Gwent is becoming the same annoying piece of software that I am getting angrier with every day.

I also lost today to SK Second Wind having two card avantage.

Second Wind is broken. Nerfing it does not help the cause. It must be changed.

Another stupid thing are mulligan draws. Why thrown away cards are not put at the bottom of my deck? I've lost so many game cause of card draws. I was sure Gwent exludes rng and focusing on deck building abilities and skillful gameplay, but I was so so wrong. You can't rely on your cards anymore cause sometimes you never see them.

I'm fuming after last game I had just now. I've lost another match cause I'm redrawing bloody bronzes that I threw away looking for golds. I've ran away from Hearthstone, cause it was a game for casuals with no skill required to play - unfortuantely Gwent is becoming the same annoying piece of software that I am getting angrier with every day.
Uhhm, why should mulligans be put on the bottom of your deck? That would be awful for everyone. R1 you mulligan a gold never to see it again?
Mulligans are fine now.

Guest 4368268

I had high hopes for this expansion and I do think that the expansion itself was good and has improved the game.
However, I also think it's just not enough. It's introduced new concepts in both deckbuilding and gameplay that I think are an asset but it's also apparent that the vast difference in power between archetypes and factions makes things go stale real quick all the same. Especially since the strongest decks require almost no substantial skill to pilot. Variety in decks post-expansion lasted for about 3/4 days.

There's so many more cards now than pre- HC and yet in my opinion Beta Gwent was still so much more fleshed out. There's so many redundant cards out there and so many of the same concepts across factions.
The developers are just way too timid in terms of daring to be creative. If they print a 2 power 8 provision tutor for one faction all factions must have it. Purify cards same story. Isn't that what we have neutrals for?

Golds in Homecoming are generally great on their own. Bronzes however are great for some factions and abhorrent for others. This makes for gameplay where faction A (with strong bronzes) pressures round 1 with its bronzes and faction B (with bad bronzes) has to play golds to keep up. As a result faction A secures the win very early on in the game.
Because they get to hoard their crazy golds for later while faction B is stuck with bad bronzes.

Print and rework golds to be supporting cards, that would be a big step towards making the game more interesting.
However, given that balance patches are more and more bare bones I know the odds of them taking steps like this are near zero percent. They like to put most effort in expansions since they can obviously monetize that effort.

But expansions of course don't actually work on what we have but just introduce new gimmicks, further causing a vast power discrepancy. Ultimately I just think the whole way HC was handled from the off set was terribly wrong.
That's just me speaking in terms of how much I've personally (not) enjoyed it. I'm not talking about commercial success or anything like that.

Homecoming was released years too early, their hard work since then (also introducing older mechanics that they initially scrapped) proves as much. But I also think HC didn't have to happen in the first place.
Beta Gwent had obvious problems. Spies, the coinflip, the overload of tutors.
HC actually dealt with some of these things well. But that's about all they had to do.

Erasing all interesting concepts and replacing them with '2 power deal 2 damage' cards was a terrible mistake the game still hasn't and likely never will recover from. Just look at the vast amount of cards that have been terrible from the beginning but never received attention.

I still play this game though simply because I really enjoy the Witcher universe and have no superior card game alternative.
But the enjoyment and the 'feel' of the game post HC has never even been remotely close to its predecessor.
I'd point out the gameplay of beta consume vs. HC's consume.
Beta reveal vs. HC's reveal (which was so horrifically designed it was scrapped all together)
Beta spies vs. current spies. Niche decks like Ocvist handbuff vs. niche HC decks like old Yarpen Zigrin.
Old weather decks (Dagon/WH) vs. the current ones (even after the recent overhaul)

I romanticize Beta Gwent and nostalgia absolutely plays a role in my judgement. like I said, OB Gwent had its problems and most certainly terribly tedious meta decks. However, after nearly two years of playing HC which on its best day I'd give a 7,5 it's made OB Gwent feel like a 10+.

SK indeed is ridiculously overpowered and I do not understand why CDPR isnt doing anything against it immediately. Its obvious the recent Hotfix didnt do enough and they dont react. I estimate a 60 % winrate for skellige overall. Only solution here for me might be skipping SK games because i think other factions are balanced. I could save so much time by just skipping these unwinable games.

yea i wish it will have balance with alot of things somehow altho the most thing that disturb me is the prices in the goodeis place :ROFLMAO:

I had high hopes for this expansion and I do think that the expansion itself was good and has improved the game.
However, I also think it's just not enough. It's introduced new concepts in both deckbuilding and gameplay that I think are an asset but it's also apparent that the vast difference in power between archetypes and factions makes things go stale real quick all the same. Especially since the strongest decks require almost no substantial skill to pilot. Variety in decks post-expansion lasted for about 3/4 days.

There's so many more cards now than pre- HC and yet in my opinion Beta Gwent was still so much more fleshed out. There's so many redundant cards out there and so many of the same concepts across factions.
The developers are just way too timid in terms of daring to be creative. If they print a 2 power 8 provision tutor for one faction all factions must have it. Purify cards same story. Isn't that what we have neutrals for?

Golds in Homecoming are generally great on their own. Bronzes however are great for some factions and abhorrent for others. This makes for gameplay where faction A (with strong bronzes) pressures round 1 with its bronzes and faction B (with bad bronzes) has to play golds to keep up. As a result faction A secures the win very early on in the game.
Because they get to hoard their crazy golds for later while faction B is stuck with bad bronzes.

Print and rework golds to be supporting cards, that would be a big step towards making the game more interesting.
However, given that balance patches are more and more bare bones I know the odds of them taking steps like this are near zero percent. They like to put most effort in expansions since they can obviously monetize that effort.

But expansions of course don't actually work on what we have but just introduce new gimmicks, further causing a vast power discrepancy. Ultimately I just think the whole way HC was handled from the off set was terribly wrong.
That's just me speaking in terms of how much I've personally (not) enjoyed it. I'm not talking about commercial success or anything like that.

Homecoming was released years too early, their hard work since then (also introducing older mechanics that they initially scrapped) proves as much. But I also think HC didn't have to happen in the first place.
Beta Gwent had obvious problems. Spies, the coinflip, the overload of tutors.
HC actually dealt with some of these things well. But that's about all they had to do.

Erasing all interesting concepts and replacing them with '2 power deal 2 damage' cards was a terrible mistake the game still hasn't and likely never will recover from. Just look at the vast amount of cards that have been terrible from the beginning but never received attention.

I still play this game though simply because I really enjoy the Witcher universe and have no superior card game alternative.
But the enjoyment and the 'feel' of the game post HC has never even been remotely close to its predecessor.
I'd point out the gameplay of beta consume vs. HC's consume.
Beta reveal vs. HC's reveal (which was so horrifically designed it was scrapped all together)
Beta spies vs. current spies. Niche decks like Ocvist handbuff vs. niche HC decks like old Yarpen Zigrin.
Old weather decks (Dagon/WH) vs. the current ones (even after the recent overhaul)

I romanticize Beta Gwent and nostalgia absolutely plays a role in my judgement. like I said, OB Gwent had its problems and most certainly terribly tedious meta decks. However, after nearly two years of playing HC which on its best day I'd give a 7,5 it's made OB Gwent feel like a 10+.

You said it all. I feel like this is a great summary of everything that's been said on these forums for years. Really shows how CDPR screwed up by not testing Homecoming first. This deserves it's own thread tbh.

I must admit it's rather fatigue to play Gwent lately. I don't play vs NG so I just forfeit vs them but then I end up like forfeiting 4 matches in a row (playing unranked because of this), then 5th I go vs Yisgrith Fruits and cuz I know he will use the Ethereal bullshit I just forfeit again, and then go vs SK 2nd Wind and forfeit again lol. Too much time lost on forfeiting vs cheap gameplay. No point in playing versus those because I already tried and it always ends to same.
Please give us a faction veto (just one single veto is enough) so at least I can filter out Nilfgaard's crap, saves me and them time.

But other then those 3 (Yisgrith+Ethereal, Milfgaard, SK2ndWind) the game can be pretty awesome at times. But now I have to insta-forfeit 5 games just to get one playable game. Thinking of quitting too (until they fix those annoying things ofc)... :/

Last edited:
I must admit it's rather fatigue to play Gwent lately. I don't play vs NG so I just forfeit vs them but then I end up like forfeiting 4 matches in a row (playing unranked because of this), then 5th I go vs Yisgrith Fruits and cuz I know he will use the Ethereal bullshit I just forfeit again, and then go vs SK 2nd Wind and forfeit again lol. Too much time lost on forfeiting vs cheap gameplay. No point in playing versus those because I already tried and it always ends to same.
Please give us a faction veto (just one single veto is enough) so at least I can filter out Nilfgaard's crap, saves me and them time.

But other then those 3 (Yisgrith+Ethereal, Milfgaard, SK2ndWind) the game can be pretty awesome at times. But now I have to insta-forfeit 5 games just to get one playable game. Thinking of quitting too... :/

With all due respect, i don't know if it's the matchmaking algorithm, your deck or just plain sh!tluck.
This is blown way out of proportion, i'm no pro or even a veteran and even i can tell you that you can win against Ethereal, NG (some times) and SK (some times) especially if we're talking unranked which i'm playing aswell (only 19 on ranked).
I've been rocking with some MO-WH variations, some
Caranthir-Keltulis-CaveTroll-cheesing for these past 3weeks, i also have been experimenting with NG assimilation decks aswell to bust some SK balls and I'm having a real good time. Every deck I build is more focused on control and unit removal then just plain power and i win alot even against NG and SK.
What I'm trying to simply say is that I feel ya but games are like that sometimes, it's not easy to balance all this "mess" if cards so some of em will fade and others will take their place. Just find an archetype-facrion that you like and try looking up on YT for deck variations...
"it's good money" man, good fun aswell !
Cheers ! :)

Last edited:
Fundamentally, not really. MO, NR and SY are only playable if you get a favourable matchup. If you get drawn against either SK and NG Meta, it's auto-lose. ST can win if you get a great deal and the oppo runs out of luck.

The problem is there should be a viable SK alchemy deck, a viable discard deck, a viable berserk deck. There isn't. The only variety may be in blazing glory vs second wind (it's 90%+ second wind). None of the other archetypes are played.

Same with NG - all out spies should be feasible, so should assimilate, but they're not. It's the same old combos with Ball, either played with Tactical or Strat Withdrawal.

Makes me feel special since I play double ball aristospy with lockdown.
I run 6 units that I can summon to my side of the field lol. 6!

Like, part of me feels bad for it since I'm basically playing old school unitless before the minimum unit count was introduced...but at the same time...when you have stuff like MO fruit cheesing with that new demon card...and SK SW decks...what do you want me to do? Run Solider slam?

I kind of like winning...and since NG not only wins games legit, they also have the psychological variable of "I'm playing NG and you will hate this experience" aspect.

You know that you can skip annoying matches by forefeiting ? If you are matched with a faction you dont want to play against, or otherwise are unfavoured at the start of the match. Just forefeit and queue into a new one. It doesent take that long.

You can also play in casual, if ranked pressure is too much. No shame in that, just don't 2:0 noobs.

There don't actually seem to be that many obviously weak decks or poor players in the casual set up. Most players I meet have a good idea of how to play and usually enough good cards to make their plays. And I also meet a ton of SK decks that ... I wonder why people don't get bored playing by numbers, I really do.

Still, I won my second game at rank 16 so get lucky with another 4 and I'm back up to 15. Not all bad!

(Yes, that was tongue in cheek!)

Makes me feel special since I play double ball aristospy with lockdown.
I run 6 units that I can summon to my side of the field lol. 6!

Like, part of me feels bad for it since I'm basically playing old school unitless before the minimum unit count was introduced...but at the same time...when you have stuff like MO fruit cheesing with that new demon card...and SK SW decks...what do you want me to do? Run Solider slam?

I kind of like winning...and since NG not only wins games legit, they also have the psychological variable of "I'm playing NG and you will hate this experience" aspect.
hahaha since the beggening i had the same feeling about the other playing NG.

Ive started with a monster deck, and almos all the time lose for NG.

Than i eve decided to do a NG deck and win a lof of games.

Now i am having real fun with a SK Lippy deck (not warrior) and that is great.

Also, my SK deck can win NG decks and Ethereal decks (ah, ive made an ethereal deck to, but i almos dont play with it).

Guest 4404014

One of the big problems in Gwent: the expansions do not really increase the number of cards in the game. That's because the old cards - for the most part - are not getting re-balanced. They are made obsolete. Art is still nice but most of the cards effectively do not exist <<in the game.>>

I can bet MM actually decreased the number of cards which are being effectively played in the ladder.

Are they really?
Do you know that you can redraw the same card you just threw away in the same round?
Shouldn't cards you throw away be added to your deck after mulligan phase?
You sure that's not your other bronze copy of the same card? I've never drawn the exact same gold card that I mulliganed away.
This was a huge issue in the beta but I'm pretty sure they fixed it.

You sure that's not your other bronze copy of the same card? I've never drawn the exact same gold card that I mulliganed away.
This was a huge issue in the beta but I'm pretty sure they fixed it.
I'm fairly sure it happened to me a number of times, pretty annoying.

If you mulligan a card, I'm pretty sure, this card can not redrawn in the same mulligan phase. You can get an other copy of a bronz that you mulliganed away, but not the same card.

Top Bottom