Opinions on Gwent's Current State

+
for the past year and a half or so the card was the same as now, hardly anyone used it and nobody complained and now with all the swarm midrange decks its considered OP all of sudden.
Yeah, that tends to happen. It's curious, really, that even when a card sees literally zero changes it can become "OP" just because the meta changes. :coolstory:

The game is just incredibly dull. Everyone takes forever with their moves...

THIS is the 100% I don't understand about the game design. Why is everything so slow? Like even just the starting screen or pop-up between rounds, they add like 30 seconds of absolutely nothing of value.

You can fold and minimize your losses. In Gwent, if you're bound to go on a losing streak because of bad draws and get hours of grinding undone, that is what is gonna happen.

I have no idea what your actual point is but i will try to speculate .

You can fold and minimize your losses

Forfeiting = folding so really your comment makes no sense to me if you don't like how a game is going leave .

If your talking about folding and leaving the game . You can do that in Gwent to its called exit and or install

In Gwent,bound to go on a losing streak because of bad draws and get hours of grinding undone

The only thing i can fathom you are talking about is the ladder . Losing streaks are part of it . Pros have to deal with bad draws and losing streaks and they still consistently reach the top levels .

Really if someone hits a plateau level and can't progress perhaps it's the player not the game as the above point indicates as long as there is a 10 ten it proves it is possible .

IB4 " look at forums people have gotten banned for forfeiting "

technically correct.

However without a point of reference to know how many people have a large forfeit count and NOT gotten banned you can't really say anyone is in danger.

The ban rate could be 1 out of 1000 people with a large forfeit count get banned . Also maybe a lot of those don't even throw a temper tantrum about it on some type of social media.

In that case the average person has nothing to worry about .

It's all about what the stats show and if it shows a case of exploitation through a pattern of intent or ulterior motive .

You can't hide your motives from the devs stats on your internal player record account.

Last edited:
Since this is sort of just overall complaints thread I'll just whine a bit about how they brought back Veterans. These were a huge issue in the beta so I kinda hoped they would've learned from that and maybe not bring back bronze ones. Let it just be Skjordal for now. But nope, exact same thing as before. SK slamming down bronzes with gold value R3 no problem. Great...

Guest 4368268

You can fold and minimize your losses. In Gwent, if you're bound to go on a losing streak because of bad draws and get hours of grinding undone, that is what is gonna happen.
Which is especially punishing at the very highest positions on pro ladder. Trynet did a good job explaining why recently. For every loss (no matter how unlucky/out of your hands) you basically need 3 wins to get back to where you were. Think of the time and concentration that goes into that. I'm just trying for simple top 500 and I've had a taste of that frustration.
One game you beat someone and it's the #10-something in the world and the next you're losing to someone in the lower half of ladder.

I get it, it's a card game and giving the format you're not going to evade circumstantial wins and losses. But the game can always try to minimize this factor by improving their gameplay. When I see the difference that the coinflip for example still makes, I get disappointed. There'll always be draws, someone going first and there'll always be unfavourable match-ups.
But by printing cards like Ethereal and Masquerade Ball you make losing said coinflip so, so much more punishing.

ya1

Forum regular
You can fold and minimize your losses

Forfeiting = folding so really your comment makes no sense to me if you don't like how a game is going leave .

If your talking about folding and leaving the game . You can do that in Gwent to its called exit and or install

No, in poker, folding is a part of how you win. Because win/lose is decided not by the outcome of any one hand but by how much money you make/lose in a series of hands. In Gwent, you cannot fold and win. You lose MMR no matter what.

Ia there a faction/leader luck?

Everytime i play agaist patricial fury and some NG decks i get an unlucky hand.

I dunno whats happens. I see The leader and i think "ok, lets try to beat it" but when my hands come its a shit.

Yesterday i was trying a new mo deck and Just lost 2 consecutives matches in Rank by 2:0 because i only get 2 golds cards in hand in both rounds.

I ve Also put some tutors cards like onei and matta to avoid that, but getting only 2 gold cards in 2 consecutives matches against 2 of the Best factions its frustration

One more for the team. They "discarded" Sacrificial vanguard from Sk and gave us the most boring new leaders....
I was an SV main and it was the most fun you could have, for my taste. But gone it is and so am I.

Guest 4368268

One more for the team. They "discarded" Sacrificial vanguard from Sk and gave us the most boring new leaders....
I was an SV main and it was the most fun you could have, for my taste. But gone it is and so am I.
Yeah I have no idea why they did that. It's true that the ability didn't see much play, but it could have done with a buff of some sort and it would have. It was a very interesting ability in terms of execution and in terms of deckbuilding. Surprised and disappointed they just deleted it but it's not the first time they've done something like that. It sucks all the more that it's replaced by such mundane abilities.

Hahaha, I was actually kinda excited for the SY pirate leader ability, the crossed swords icon, but all it does is spawn sea jackal and give 4 coins, and then I was reminded yet again of why I'm currently playing and enjoying MTGA: archetypes have actual synergy, LOL.

Shield looks interesting though.

No, in poker, folding is a part of how you win. Because win/lose is decided not by the outcome of any one hand but by how much money you make/lose in a series of hands. In Gwent, you cannot fold and win. You lose MMR no matter what.

I answered this in the post you quoted. Please actually read the whole reply.

"In Gwent,bound to go on a losing streak because of bad draws and get hours of grinding undone

The only thing i can fathom you are talking about is the ladder . Losing streaks are part of it .

Pros have to deal with bad draws and losing streaks and they still consistently reach the top levels .

>>>>>>>Really if someone hits a plateau level and can't progress perhaps it's the player not the game <<<<<<<<<<<

as the above point about pros indicates as long as there is a 10 ten it proves it is possible .

to build on that You are not supposed to be able to fold and win in gwent. that's not how a ranked ladder works.

If you get a bad hand and lose - valid loss the opponent beat you

You go 1st/ 2nd 10 times in a row whichever one you don't like valid loss the opponent beat you

Any OTHER reason you can think of for a loss including computer or internet malfunctions - valid loss the opponent beat you

IF you go on a 10 game losing streak for any reason - YOU SHOULD LOSE MMR EVERY SINGLE TIME!!

automerge]1598828611[/automerge]
I'm currently playing and enjoying MTGA: archetypes have actual synergy, LOL.

MTGA is a much superior game to this . The devs have ruined GWENT from what it was like in closed an open beta.

MTG
More archetypes
less consistency
more ways to stop your op from even playing (control)
more ways to destroy your op within the first couple turns (agro)
No provisions unit limits Gold card limits in deck you can build a deck will all mythic rares if you want
get a card every turn
the right Top decked card can kill your opponent / destroy their board even if they have advantage

Gwent
-boring
- to balanced
- too much deck consistency
-not enough 1 gard game changers
-basically chess in card form.

I still put MTG Pros above GWENT pros.

If The devs wanted to turn this into a pure skill game they should just abandon ccg and turn it into a chess game with witcher characters.

Gwent had sooo much potential in beta before the devs ruined it.

Now the only thing saving it is people like me who come for the characters not the game . I passed on the geralt journey and will pass on the next one if its not triss yen or shani or one of the other females.

Last edited:
First you wrote this :

Gwent
-boring
- to balanced
- too much deck consistency
-not enough 1 gard game changers
-basically chess in card form.

And then this

Gwent had sooo much potential in beta before the devs ruined it.

Did you actually play beta, and if you did for how long and when? As far as I remember most factions in beta had at least one archetype that would tutor and thin the decks to 0 cards (SC muligan, NG mill, NR reaver hunter, SK queens guard just to name a few). If that's not consistency and low RNG i don't know what is. You see consistency as a con and yet praise beta that was way more consistent and less RNG.

First you wrote this :

And then this

Did you actually play beta, and if you did for how long and when? As far as I remember most factions in beta had at least one archetype that would tutor and thin the decks to 0 cards (SC muligan, NG mill, NR reaver hunter, SK queens guard just to name a few). If that's not consistency and low RNG i don't know what is. You see consistency as a con and yet praise beta that was way more consistent and less RNG.

Did you actually play beta?

Did you actually look at my registration date or post history?

if you played you would know the cards rules and game mechanics were completely different

There is a difference between winning consistently a deck. Decks playing the same way every time.

that's why i suggested the minimum deck size should be upgraded to 40

there should be ultra good cards that if you top deck they can change the etier game.

what you draw in the first had should matter a lot more . similar to mtg getting mana screwed flooded.

take thrive because its the easiest to explain.

If you consistently get a good range of cards from 1-10 in your opening hand and you generally play the same way every time that is BAD CONSISTENCY that is no different than Chess

That is what i am talking about. it should be possible that you get all duplicate numbers alot or bad ranges,

First you wrote this :

And then this

The real reason Beta Gwent will always be superior to Homecoming Gwent is because the cards back then had actual abilities.

Homecoming has 1000 cards that are just point plays, slightly different ways of counting up points. They are all so dull and it drives me crazy that all of the unique abilities have been purged.

I feel like Gwent Beta was High School, and Homecoming is kindergarten in terms of actual card abilities.

The real reason Beta Gwent will always be superior to Homecoming Gwent is because the cards back then had actual abilities.

Homecoming has 1000 cards that are just point plays, slightly different ways of counting up points. They are all so dull and it drives me crazy that all of the unique abilities have been purged.

I feel like Gwent Beta was High School, and Homecoming is kindergarten in terms of actual card abilities.
Can you remind me what some of those abilities were? I'm not trying to argue I've just genuinely forgotten it's been so long.

Can you remind me what some of those abilities were? I'm not trying to argue I've just genuinely forgotten it's been so long.

There were so many. I'll just name a few favorites.

Light calvary in NR would came out of the deck when you were 25 points behind. This ability changed your playstyle a lot because it was like trapping your opponent if they played too fast.

Reaver Hunters had bonded keyword where they would grow exponentially for each one you had on board. They also had trio, where if you got 3 of them adjacent on board they would gang up and bomb the strongest enemy. You could combo these with field medics that had another awesome ability that exchanged wounded bronzes for others in your deck.

Queensgaurd would all resurrect each other all at once. So as long ad you could play 1 you could discard/strengthen them and keep bringing them back for resurrect triggers on your Cerys.

Nekkers were a snowball card where you could spring load your deck with more copies of them. They came out on their deathwish trigger and powered up with each consume trigger. You always had to keep a balance between powering them up in deck and pulling them out for tempo when you needed it. They were harder than they looked.

These were all just bronze cards. You can't find a single card in current Gwent that even comes close to having an ability as cool as these cards.

Light calvary in NR would came out of the deck when you were 25 points behind. This ability changed your playstyle a lot because it was like trapping your opponent if they played too fast.

Reaver Hunters had bonded keyword where they would grow exponentially for each one you had on board. They also had trio, where if you got 3 of them adjacent on board they would gang up and bomb the strongest enemy. You could combo these with field medics that had another awesome ability that exchanged wounded bronzes for others in your deck.

Queensgaurd would all resurrect each other all at once. So as long ad you could play 1 you could discard/strengthen them and keep bringing them back for resurrect triggers on your Cerys.

Nekkers were a snowball card where you could spring load your deck with more copies of them. They came out on their deathwish trigger and powered up with each consume trigger. You always had to keep a balance between powering them up in deck and pulling them out for tempo when you needed it. They were harder than they looked.

These were all just bronze cards. You can't find a single card in current Gwent that even comes close to having an ability as cool as these cards.

I remember all of those, and using them. Reaver Hunters with Henselt ability, i think i used that still on closed beta and feeling like a badass with so many switches and having total control of the deck.

And Queenguards (with Kambi) is probably by most played deck of all time, pretty much all of 2017.

And Nekkers, i rarely used them, but it was such a strong deck, i was always feared facing them. It was the equivalent of current Kiki Queen decks, which can usually win easily even a card down... except if you have a perfect counter. For Kiki queen it's Yrden, after, for Nekker decks back then was Sweers, early, which immediately discarded all copies of a bronze into GY and it was insta-win and insta-forfeits :ohstopit:

Thanks for reminding me. I did play the beta more hours than I want to admit but my memory isn't the best.

Those cards really were a lot of fun, makes me wonder whether they would break the game or not if they came back in some form. I used to love those three Dun Banners shooting out of my deck. And those snowball Nekkers drove me nuts but they perfectly encapsulated the creature.

Cintrian Royal Guards are pretty much like old Reavers and those are getting support in this patch. Maybe I'll give them a try.

And those snowball Nekkers drove me nuts
I quite enjoyed discarding them with Sweers, after the opponent had used their Nekker Warriors. :LOL:

Playing around Dun Banners was interesting, and sometimes annoying. The latter especially when they were in every NR deck.

Top Bottom