Imlerith boss fight is ridiculously hard

+
The last phase is ridiculously hard because he teleports around and your control directions keep changing all the time because of the target lock and sooner or later you'll roll or dodge towards him and he stunlocks and kills you with one combo.

I bet the dev who thought teleporting boss would be neat never actually tried to play it with the shitty target locking system this game has.

Good luck with the other Wild Hunt bosses, all of them teleport.

If someone is still having trouble with him, use Ekhinda + Archgriffin decoctions and all you need to do is invest only 3 points into tier1 mutagen talent. But I'm warning you, it's so overpowered that it will break any challenging fight, even on deathmarch difficulty.

Yeah, Archgriffin decoction is a ridiculous exploit. Every strong attack do at least 10% damage to the enemies lifepool! You could kill as level 1 Geralt a level 100000 enemy with 1000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000HP with 10 hits as long as you won't get hit.

I really hope they are working on the gameplay balance

Time your dodges (not the roll) so you pass through his attacks during the invulnerability frame, you can tell you did it right if you receive the message that Geralt got hit for 0.00 damage. If you dodge when his attack animation didn't yet begin he'll just recalculate your position to hit where you land. If you get staggered don't dodge right away, wait for the right moment then dodge through his attack otherwise you'll get staggerlocked. Try using Igni when his armor gets covered with frost. I didn't use it against him but I remember it made the other Wild Hunt bosses weaker.

Prepare to the fight. Make sure you did all possible contracts before going to isle of mists (that means there will be bunch of them for the later game, but most of them should be finished by this point). Clean maps, especially abandoned locations because they give you some extra experience and search for places of power. If you also did side quests, you will come with level 27-28 to this battle. You will also need good gear, preferably either enhanced or superior witcher gear. I had trouble with Imlerith on Death March during first walkthrough, though during the second I came prepared: superior cat school gear, superior Swallow, Thunderbolt and Blizzard potions, developed Quen Sign and swordplay skills, and skill that allow you to cast signs at the expense of adrenalin. I tell you, after that I killed him from the first attempt without any substantial troubles. Even if you make a mistake at the last stage, adrenalin will allow you to quickly re-cast Quen. Just be sure to hit him hard when he stops. Use fast style and hit him as many times as you can before he teleports. 4-5 rounds should be enough. I agree that among Wild Hunt bosses Imlerith is probably the toughest. Eredin is very easy to beat if you are level 30 or above.

I just used Whirlwind against him from the beginning of the fight and he didn't even had a chance to get to the stage where he teleports, just skipped to the cutscene where i kill him lol

Everyone is talking about whirlwind. I don't have that skill at all. :p
I died 8 times or 10 times, but finally managed. Hardest boss I fought til now. The decoction that heals you from using a sign helped a lot. He falls into a loop in the first phase I noticed. You slash two times, dodge to the left/right and he hits twice missing you, and you leap in to attack him again, dodge away, rinse and repeat. Now his 2nd phase was really tough. I threw dimerithium bombs and yrden on him but he still kept teleporting in the 2nd phase. Stupid cheating boss defying all fighting mechanics... Then I read about the usefulness of Quen and it's the first time I ever used quen in the game (playing on 2nd hardest difficulty) That was vital as you can not always dodge roll perfectly out of his way. Then I learned that instead of one strong attack, you can hack him 4 times with a fast attack. Once I learned that, it was not too difficult anymore.

The first time with Imlerith was best. Still very hard. Just survive and figure out. Best fight in the game IMO. Eredin was easy.

It is definitely best fight. Eredin is easy even on Death March, but I during my two walkthroughs I was always at least level 32 when I fought him. Maybe if you below 30 fight is tougher...

Fighting NightWright & NoonWright are more troublesome than fight the 3 boss of the Wild Hunt.

maybe when you first met them.. but now, its quite easy encounter.. just have to keep Yrden up ,dodge around the circle and keep the wright inside of the circle so you can hit him... Imlerith was much more troublesome in the last stage.. one mistake with roll direction and you were done...

I thought the boss fights and end sequence was rushed through. Beautiful game but CDPR seem to have done what most others do....make levelling progress slow between (in W3s case anyway) level 15 and 27 and then throw loads of xp at you in a comparatively shorter timeframe from 27 to 35 to throw you into the big finale. The end seemed rushed to me, as if it was just tying up loose ends. You know like "there you go, done and dusted"

Last edited:
dont target lock.
I didnt find it difficult, challenging at first yes until you realize his weakness and pattern but definitely not difficult.

It is an easy fight on the first phase when he just protects himself behind his shield, i dont think there's a difficulty here, just avoid his smash, and hit him on the other side, that is all.
However, If you want an easy win against him when he starts to teleport & teleport & teleport, you just have to follow this pattern, especially on DM :

1) Face him, don't mark him/auto focus
2) when teleporting right behind you, roll (not dodge, ROLL) (before taking a hit of course)
3) reface him, stay at a correct distance and let him hit the air, then again, just roll forward when he teleports again
4) repeat until he smashes his mace into the ground, hit him ONE to TWO times MAX or you're dead because you'll miss and he'll be behind you again
5) repeat until dead

Teleport phase is very stressful when you discover the boss for the first time because it looks you can't do anything, especialy in DM where it's a one fail = dead but in fact, he always teleports right behind you.
However i dont really believe the few people who said "managed to beat him without problem on death march on first try", this is really impossible because the first time you discover his "SURPRISE TELEPORT !! O_O !" it's too late you're already dead, and even then, you dont know that there is only one moment where you can hit him, if you try to hit him in any other moment than when his mace is in the ground >> Dead ; and even when the mace is blocked in the ground, if you launch ONE hit when he suddently teleports back >> Dead

Last edited:
I'm now stuck on this fight too. At this point in the plot, you're stuck in linear progression. The first phase is fine. The second phase is broken.

The first phase is not hard, but is very slow, it takes 10 minutes to whittle him down.

First, I think this fight needs an autosave when he does the shield drop and goes into imba-telport mode. That way you don't have to suffer through the same fight over and over again, you can just play the end part that's difficult.

Also, to everyone saying this is super easy, what build are you using? It may be very easy with 30 points in the sword tree, or with alchemy builds that let you take many decoctions, but with a pure sign build, I'm finding this fight to be completely broken.

Igni removes the ice but does little (or no?) damage. Yarden doesn't do much. Aard doesn't do much. Axii doesnt do anything. Dimaridium bombs don't stop him teleporting, but does stop my signs! You can't regen stamina while rolling, and you need stamina for signs and you need to roll to not die. When he's constantly teleporting you have to constantly roll. which means you can't even affort to Quen and you need to Quen and Igni for the ice, then attack.

What's more, rolling is so random an unreliable. sometimes you roll into him and die, sometimes you roll off the cliff. There's a short pause when the mallet hits the ground that gives you just long enough to re-quen, but there's no way to even move towards him before he's got the mallet up and is teleporting again.

So I think this fight needs re-evaluated so it works for all builds. One guy above said he respected with sword and it was easy. I think that hits the nail on the head- this fight isn't balanced for sign builds.

I'd really like to have a real Yarden again, like in W2. You lay a trap, bait them, and then they get stuck for several seconds in it so you can reposition or do some damage. This new Yarden doesn't seem to actually trap things.

What's more, rolling is so random an unreliable. sometimes you roll into him and die, sometimes you roll off the cliff.
How come rolling is random?
And his pattern is standart. After 3 rolls you attack him. But just one attack. Two is risky. And if you cant manage to kill him lower your difficulty for one fight maybe? I mean if it keeps you stuck at that point.

So I think this fight needs re-evaluated so it works for all builds. One guy above said he respected with sword and it was easy. I think that hits the nail on the head- this fight isn't balanced for sign builds.

I'd really like to have a real Yarden again, like in W2. You lay a trap, bait them, and then they get stuck for several seconds in it so you can reposition or do some damage. This new Yarden doesn't seem to actually trap things.

Imlerith can be EASILY killed by a signs build. You're just using the wrong Sign ;)
Just use alternative quen mode (with reflect skill) the whole time and he will kill himself, that's easier than killing him with a sword build.

And Yrden is good as it is... you just need to have 100% slowdown and most enemies will be slow enough that you can easily kill them.
For 100% Slowdown you'll need at least the superior griffin set with yrden glyphes.

I'm now stuck on this fight too. At this point in the plot, you're stuck in linear progression. The first phase is fine. The second phase is broken.

The first phase is not hard, but is very slow, it takes 10 minutes to whittle him down.

First, I think this fight needs an autosave when he does the shield drop and goes into imba-telport mode. That way you don't have to suffer through the same fight over and over again, you can just play the end part that's difficult.

Also, to everyone saying this is super easy, what build are you using? It may be very easy with 30 points in the sword tree, or with alchemy builds that let you take many decoctions, but with a pure sign build, I'm finding this fight to be completely broken.

Igni removes the ice but does little (or no?) damage. Yarden doesn't do much. Aard doesn't do much. Axii doesnt do anything. Dimaridium bombs don't stop him teleporting, but does stop my signs! You can't regen stamina while rolling, and you need stamina for signs and you need to roll to not die. When he's constantly teleporting you have to constantly roll. which means you can't even affort to Quen and you need to Quen and Igni for the ice, then attack.

What's more, rolling is so random an unreliable. sometimes you roll into him and die, sometimes you roll off the cliff. There's a short pause when the mallet hits the ground that gives you just long enough to re-quen, but there's no way to even move towards him before he's got the mallet up and is teleporting again.

Did you read my post just above your ? It could really help you. Once you understand the script, it's clearly a lot easier :)

dont target lock.
I didnt find it difficult, challenging at first yes until you realize his weakness and pattern but definitely not difficult.

Then you are playing a different witcher 3 than i did, because there is no pattern. He teleports behind you a random number of times, not three as others have said but different each cycle, more times. maybe this is only on the higher difficoulties? also the fight takes eternities because you only get one strong hit in, and if you focused on signs like i did, it deals so little damage.

I beat him utilizing the archgriffin decocotions, which makes every strong hit as long as you have stamina take 10% of enemy hp, and spend all your stamina. If you do that then its not that hard, but still difficoult i guess.

Then you are playing a different witcher 3 than i did, because there is no pattern. He teleports behind you a random number of times, not three as others have said but different each cycle, more times. maybe this is only on the higher difficoulties? also the fight takes eternities because you only get one strong hit in, and if you focused on signs like i did, it deals so little damage.

I beat him utilizing the archgriffin decocotions, which makes every strong hit as long as you have stamina take 10% of enemy hp, and spend all your stamina. If you do that then its not that hard, but still difficoult i guess.
beat him on death march with no active shield, no decoctions on and mostly sword attacks the occasional igni to melt the ice and yrden to slow him down, when he goes berserk and teleports behind you all the time anticipate it, oh and samum bomb does wonders in that phase of the fight.

The last phase is ridiculously hard because he teleports around and your control directions keep changing all the time because of the target lock and sooner or later you'll roll or dodge towards him and he stunlocks and kills you with one combo.

I bet the dev who thought teleporting boss would be neat never actually tried to play it with the shitty target locking system this game has.

I feel you. It took me a lot of attempts, even on normal difficulty, to beat him. But I like the difficulty. It teaches you to be more strategic and quick in combat. Whenever he teleports, make sure you dodge in the opposite direction. He generally teleports behind you. You need to dodge as quickly as possible as soon as you see the teleport animation. When his hammer gets stuck in the ground, hit him once and prepare for another series of dodges. Rinse and repeat, and you should beat him.

Top Bottom