Immersion: Should NPCs react to rare clothing?

+
Maybe not... If the Street Cred level is a variable for the fame, you could just compare this variable to another NPC status variable that would represent some type of affinity with a 'famous' V. Two numbers, one check.

In practice, e.g. if V is walking down a crowded street :

[Too low level Street Cred} : In appearance the player sees no reaction from the NPC, which means that V's level is too low (considered as a nobody). But that's a very common thing because in general many NPC just don't wanna interfere with other people's business, may they be famous or not.

[Required level Street Cred] : In appearance, some of them start looking differently at V, nothing too obvious ofc. They may seem interested just by how they look more intensely at V, like they would be open for discussion, or in contrary they can stiffen their jaw, making agressive eye contact or mumbling things when you get past them. And some potential "midnight chess partners" could make small body language in mark for their appreciation of your presence (look away blushing, play with their hair, whistle, etc.)

That detail within an immersive sim could serve as a whole social feature : if the players pay enough attention to that, they could have a clue to who may be a potential friend or rival, or other type of people that V could have substantial interaction with. Another good point would be to break that rule some times and make scammers looking friendly too, like if you follow them to a dark alley they'd try to rob or kill you.

And last, I think that it would serve the immersion if the same method could apply into the dialogues animation as well : most of people will look neutral, jaded, unfriendly or bored... but some of them must react to your reputation and look at you differently just so the experience feels more tangible.

Street cred is not the rare clothes, that would be a sensible way to gage NPC reactions to the PC (and gate progression and stuff you van buy from shops and pretty much 99% of the stuff "levels" are doing) the rarity of each bit of clothes? waste of time given that shouldn't be a thing NPCs are aware of.

Street cred is not the rare clothes, that would be a sensible way to gage NPC reactions to the PC (and gate progression and stuff you van buy from shops and pretty much 99% of the stuff "levels" are doing) the rarity of each bit of clothes? waste of time given that shouldn't be a thing NPCs are aware of.

I never mentioned clothing, sorry ? I might have misunderstood something.

(reading the first post again) OK I got it : what I implicitly meant is that Street Cred is kinda like the appearance, because the more you're famous, the more recognizable you become. Then, if clothing grant you some points in StCrd, it could do it but these clothes MUST be unique in their way. Common items ? No no.

If you mean that they react by a throwaway voice line, then yeah. "Hey dude, cool car!"

I was thinking more like muggers leaving the PC alone or treating him with respect if you are a famous mercenary known for combat prowess etc.... but I doubt that will actually happen.

Well, flash forward to 2018 and Rockstar advanced their AI to react not just by a throwaway voice line, but you can have a different conversation by the way you dress. It's really amazing with what they've done with Red Dead Redemption 2. If you happen to be coated in blood, the NPC will run from you or become aggressive to you. Some even react with hostility if you walk around town naked. I think that the game is a really good example of world-building.

I don't know where you guys live, but in my entire life I've never seen a stranger comment on other's people outfit in front of them. Unless they want to have sex. Or that gay guy on tv who criticizes everybody and dresses like a clown (tv show we had here few years ago, maybe it's still broadcasted).

So, I don't care if that's a feature in the game, but if it is, then it's immersion breaking and not the other way round.

I'd warmly prefer CDPR to focus on other billion things first since release is soon and the "15 minute" (= 2 minutes) gameplay demo showed they still have a lot of work to do on AI, driving and animations. Apparently the loot/gear system is not even complete.

I've never seen a stranger comment on other's people outfit in front of them.
Neither have I, that I can remember -- it's not a thing people up here do, at all.

Perhaps it's because of that but I'm not a fan of random NPCs commenting on what my character is wearing. It can be amusing ("Fancy the leather armor, huh? Something to be said for going light."), sure, but it also feels awkward even though it's just a game and I'm playing as an animated character. Like, why are you not only staring at what I'm wearing but also commenting on it for no reason?!

So no, NPCs should not react to what V is wearing (in words). I understand why many would want it as a feature but the idea is just not appealing to me.
If the NPCs are friends/allies/enemies/acquaintances/etc. then it's fine for them to comment as it won't be out of the blue. But strangers... no thank you.

Last edited:
I don’t think random comments on clothing should really be a thing outside contextual situations.

There should be places where you simply do not enter without an expensive suit or a tuxedo fitting for the social class in that joint.

And places where rich people aren’t looked at too kindly.

Themed party joints.

Etc.

Those are places where random commentary can come into question; especially if your current outfit is outside the required range.

Very Possible that Sardukhar beat me to it, but in the first gameplay demo - they played it differently on the next big con (i think it was gamescom last year but do not nail me for it) when v and jacky are at malestroem (this time as male v) they apparently told them that the chip had a virus on it. An all was shiny. but then one of the gangers makes a remark about v´s shitty jacket and jacky chimes in that "if we killed em all we could keep the money and buy you a new jacked" which they did as the demo was meant to be to show the gunplay.

So i think it is somewhat likely that at least some form of reaktion to your appirance will be paid. how much? who knows but you can go borderline insane with features and nick nacks (R2R2 or MGS comes to mind) - and i am willing to take a serious bet that there are a lot of features we do not know jack about yet that will be a possitive surprise ;)

Yes, the NPCs don't need to talk at all, that's the difference with all the first person RPGs. I'm bored with that "hey blablabla" (repeat 50x times per minute) too. Worst case is that in these games, you may be the goddamn emperor demi-god of the World, if you hit a peasant by error, they just "forget" your status and the guards send you in jail, or worse they kill you (and they CAN !)... how realistic is that lol.

Just some subtle, visual reactions to show some NPCs interest with you (who you could interact with = not all the crowd, maybe just 10% 5% of them). More like eye contact rather than speaking.

But some contextual situations (that are not story scripted) could benefit from comparison with clothing and Street Cred : like said, some bars don't let people come in unless they wear the proper clothing code ; some people don't like cyborgs and won't trade with them (might try to bribe'em maybe ?) ; some people on the streets will be attracted to certain style. Or they heard about your reputation and they recognized you (maybe they wanna ask you out for a mission, or kill you in a back alley).

The less fun interaction with NPCs would be... no reaction at all from them. Vendors being : "I don't know your face even though you came 100x times in my shop selling dirty shirts for weeks now, and I'm forced to buy them a good price because your bargain level is too high, so I'm broke every day because of you and I'm forced to feed my children boiled dirty shirts but anyway, greetings !! What can I do for you?" :howdy:

Regular people don't react to "rare" clothing now. Maybe if it's super wild or offensive but would that even be out of the norm in Cyberpunk? I could see some implants/cyberware getting a reaction but not clothing. Just my opinion on it

Regular people don't react to "rare" clothing now. Maybe if it's super wild or offensive but would that even be out of the norm in Cyberpunk? I could see some implants/cyberware getting a reaction but not clothing. Just my opinion on it

They might react by turning to look at you instead of ignoring you while walking past. Of course it depends on the neighborhood. If you look rich and walk around in a poor neighborhood, you might get muggers on your trail.

I'm no developer, but I would imagine it'd be simple to make generic comments based of tiered items, rather than special items or anything like that. That way you're only adding a few extra lines to each voice actor and minimizing the workload.

I would much, much prefer reactions based off of actions or "street cred" (mentioned by someone else in thread). Siding with gangs might lead to negative (not violent) or positive reactions by pedestrians in certain neighborhoods.

Games usually have certain "flags" ticked off based on completed actions, so it might be easy to tie dialogue to those flags.

It'd certainly make the game world appear more reactive. I'm sure they at least already have a rudimentary system in place though. It seems like that type of game and something that they'd aim for based on their interviews and whatnot.

I would much, much prefer reactions based off of actions or "street cred" (mentioned by someone else in thread). Siding with gangs might lead to negative (not violent) or positive reactions by pedestrians in certain neighborhoods.

Or rivaling gangs...

They might react by turning to look at you instead of ignoring you while walking past. Of course it depends on the neighborhood. If you look rich and walk around in a poor neighborhood, you might get muggers on your trail.
Good point, I could see that. Didn't think of value of clothing possibly getting a reaction

I don't know where you guys live, but in my entire life I've never seen a stranger comment on other's people outfit in front of them. Unless they want to have sex. Or that gay guy on tv who criticizes everybody and dresses like a clown (tv show we had here few years ago, maybe it's still broadcasted).

So, I don't care if that's a feature in the game, but if it is, then it's immersion breaking and not the other way round.

I'd warmly prefer CDPR to focus on other billion things first since release is soon and the "15 minute" (= 2 minutes) gameplay demo showed they still have a lot of work to do on AI, driving and animations. Apparently the loot/gear system is not even complete.
If you've never heard a stranger comment on your outfit, maybe it's time for a makeover? j/k (I kid!) :ohstopit:

OK, but seriously...people do comment on what you wear, and not only in a flirty kind of way. I've gotten positive comments on things I wear like my high-tops and constantly get strangers commenting on this black t-shirt I wear that says "Can't Adult Today". On the flip side, I've got plenty of negative feedback and side-eye about another t-shirt I wear on occasion that says "Hail Satan and Drink Coffee!". So people commenting on what V is wearing would actually be fairly immersive to me.

If you've never heard a stranger comment on your outfit, maybe it's time for a makeover? j/k (I kid!) :ohstopit:

OK, but seriously...people do comment on what you wear, and not only in a flirty kind of way. I've gotten positive comments on things I wear like my high-tops and constantly get strangers commenting on this black t-shirt I wear that says "Can't Adult Today". On the flip side, I've got plenty of negative feedback and side-eye about another t-shirt I wear on occasion that says "Hail Satan and Drink Coffee!". So people commenting on what V is wearing would actually be fairly immersive to me.
Not strictly on my outfit, I've never heard anyone complimenting about that in general. Different countries different cultures, I guess. :shrug:

I still think reactions should be there contextually and reactions do not need to be limited to stranger comments.

Maybe you won't get much out of some jacket you wear on the street. But if you wear (or alternatively do not wear) a corpo suit in the corpo world or a nomad outfit in the badlands or around Nomads, expect believable reactions in how they view, treat, eye you.

E. g. walk into Pacifica wearing a cop or a corpo sec outfit, opposed to more fitting clothing that blends in.

It doesn't have to be ultra deep and with every prime encounter but occasionally and contextually.

I still think reactions should be there contextually and reactions do not need to be limited to stranger comments.

Maybe you won't get much out of some jacket you wear on the street. But if you wear (or alternatively do not wear) a corpo suit in the corpo world or a nomad outfit in the badlands or around Nomads, expect believable reactions in how they view, treat, eye you.

E. g. walk into Pacifica wearing a cop or a corpo sec outfit, opposed to more fitting clothing that blends in.

It doesn't have to be ultra deep and with every prime encounter but occasionally and contextually.

I think we've already seen similar mechanics in terms of missing aftermath/ consequences in the first gameplay demo. After they crossed one of the gangs prominent in the area, V and Jackie immediately got attacked when driving near their territory.

Using the same mechanism, if your outfit can signal your background/ status/ gang affiliation (life path) to NPC-s, they may react to it in a similar way in specific areas.

For instance, with a street kid background and Samurai swag on, in Watson, NPC-s may say 'hey, nice jacket' or something and if you choose to get in conversation, they might start spilling some info on a side mission.

But walking through gang territories, like Pacifica, the Animals for instance should be attacking you straight up if you had a conflict with them before, while members of an opposing gang caught in the shootout may come to your rescue if you have enough street cred.

Street cred should also work a bit like the 'family' skill in Cyberpunk2020/ RED. Depending on your level, you have better connections within your social circles and you could rally up members for a mission. Although in CP2020 that's a skill tied to the Nomads, it could work for different types of contacts depending on your life path, e.g. booster gangers for Street Kid, or Cops/ Solos for Corpo and maybe Fixers for Nomad background (since Nomads carry stash between cities).
Post automatically merged:

Not strictly on my outfit, I've never heard anyone complimenting about that in general. Different countries different cultures, I guess. :shrug:

I go get compliments from random people in my office building for wearing my Cyberpunk2077 T-Shirts. :)

I go get compliments from random people in my office building for wearing my Cyberpunk2077 T-Shirts. :)
I use to have a t-shirt that read "Don't ask me, I have no idea what's going on." and almost every time I wore it I'd get a comment or two.

(( Wish I'd bought multiple copies as it wore out and I've never seen another like it. ))

I think it would be interesting if a Female posted in the thread , don`t Girls dress for each other ? I think in the Female world they would comment about each others clothes more than in the Male world :shrug:

Top Bottom