Importance of Body/Tech for Doors?

+
I'm currently running a high Body and Cool Solo Build through Cyberpunk 2077, but I also am planning out my next play through as a Netrunner. My plan is to set Intelligence as primary with Reflexes as secondary, but I am extremely unsure about what would be my tertiary stat to raise to 20. I've heard that the skill trees with Tech are not so great, but I wanted more opinions. And disregarding that, how important do people feel it is to have a strong score in either Body or Tech for the purposes of opening doors?

Tech is good for up to 18 which you need for the edge runner artisan perk to craft legendary weapons, which you'll need if you're a completist for your weapons wall.

Regarding doors it can help with completing certain gigs in a easier manner. Or seeing robots play poker and do strip teases.

Personally I think tech is useless, unless you're using tech weapons. Crafting is nice in all, but by time you get to lvl 20 even on very hard most things can be killed in one shot, and there is really no need for legendary gear.

In my regard you have some nice dialogue and door opening choices (dunno how else the outcome would be in some quests though. I'd say Tech is probably one of the best supportive trees which you can kind of pair with lots of other builds.
There were few doors to be opened with a moderate amount of body but more with tech.

I'm not really sure an assuming here, but it feels like you are only able to see some choices, may it be dialogue or attribute based if you are in close range to the needed skill (had very few exceptions).
for example and if I remember correctly, when you rescue Evelyn (or in another occassion with Eve) there is a computer which you can only use/open when you got tech 20.
For the hidden door in the Peralez appartment I also needed a good amount of tech.
I had some flavor options while in quests/events/dialogue with Panam and Judy.
But generally when I needed just about 2-3 levels more in a specific attribute it would show me (e.g. 6/8 Body or 10/13 Tech).
That's why I had this specific thought that it may be "half-hidden" unless in range

//edit:
1. It also opens some occassional rooms which got some (sometimes) nice loot
2. Also it opens (as does the body attribute) sometimes nice shortcuts or other ways you can go through quests

Last edited:
On my first playthrough I went 20 Intelligence/Reflex/Cool and there were about 5 to 10 doors that I just couldn't open because they required Body/Technical Ability and there was no alternate way to get in. I guess it depends on how much this type of thing will bother you.

I would highly recommend Cool because Cold Blood is good for all builds and can be customised to suit what you need. At base, its just a percentage based stacking movement speed buff but it can also give you stacking armour, health regeneration, quickhack cooldown/upload time reduction, attack speed and it massively boosts your crit rate. Since quickhacks can crit, you want this.

In the Stealth tree, Neurotoxin (req. 18 Cool) also doubles your Contagion damage and Contagion is a hard carry from level 3 onwards. Honestly, its so strong it kind of kills the fun of the game being able to wipe out entire floors in 1 upload.

Cool is probably the only stat that I feel is worth it to go all the way to 20. Most skill trees have their best perks at 18 req and an ultimate perk that is highly situational or arguably not worth putting more than 1 point in, if they are even worth the 1 point at all. Most of the 20 req perks are underwhelming and this is also true of Cool, but the ultimate perk for Cold Blood is crit chance and crit damage with an option to stack both if you have perk points to spare.

The most interesting perks to me function like leg cyberware - they change game rules and mechanics so your character can do things that are otherwise impossible. Good examples: The body perks that allow you to shoot and reload while sprinting/sliding/vaulting. The reflex perks that let you dodge while aiming and shoot pistols while dodging. Most of these types of perks have low prerequisites but give the most emergent gameplay possibilities.

I would tend towards a more balanced stat distribution. This game really doesn't benefit from hyper min/maxing because its too easy to overkill. You will be one shotting 3+ dudes at level 7 on Very Hard as a Netrunner. Honestly, only the first 10 or so gigs/ncpd alerts pose any challenge at all and after you get 12 street cred its Raven Cybermicro time and infinite resource one shot city.

So I have finally settled on a build where I go 11 Body, 16 Intelligence, 20 Reflex, 20 Cool and 3 Technical Ability because it gets me the most emergent gameplay possibilities and can do 90% of everything decently (except grenade spamming and crafting of course which I found a rather wretched experience). A bonus is you can open most of the body req. doors too.

You can run a Cyberdeck with Legendary Short Circuit. This has a passive which triggers its (non lethal) damage every time you crit and its pretty huge damage. It will make you a boxing king with no street brawler perks. It will add 40k+ damage to your blades strikes. You can make blades completely non lethal by using non upgraded swords while maximising crit stats so Short Circuit procs do all the work. It makes all guns ludicrous. Or you can just cast short circuit which does mad damage anyway and can hit multiple targets with Netdriver, which resets all your cooldowns for hack spamming.

Last edited:
Top Bottom