Important announcement regarding Cyberpunk 2077 release date

+
I'm seeing the logic "the delay reduces trust they can deliver a quality product" a lot.

Is this backed up? I didn't play it but was Witcher III bad? I thought it was a quality game that was extremely succesful? This is the same developer right?

So...

1) evidence of success in recent years
2) delaying launch to ensure release is succesful for this game

I don't get it how a rational person can review that evidence and conclude anything other than they want to ensure 2077 is of the highest launch quality it can be.

Besides the obvious reasons of lacking perspective, why are people seeing this as a bad sign?

I think the answer to that has a few different parts, the first and easiest to explain is that this is the third time the delay has been attributed to a nebulous "bug fixes and polishing". No game launches flawlessly, even if the QA department tested this game for the rest of their lives there's no way they could replicate what millions of hyped up gamers will do to it in the first hour of release, so the fact that there was a technical issue of some sort big enough to delay the launch this close is letting people fill that vague explanation with their worst fears.

The second part affecting people's concerns, and I will fully admit this is not entirely under CDPR's control although they are still dealing with it, is that several game companies with exactly the reputation you're describing have fallen flat on their faces in recent years. Bethesda and Bioware, for example, didn't always have the reputation they have now. There was a day I'd have bought a game from either one of those companies without a second's hesitation, but that's hardly the case anymore. Without going into a very well-publicized fall from gamer's good graces for those companies I think people are just worried it's going to repeat itself with another beloved developer.

Finally, I think you can attribute some of it to the mismanagement of the hype around the game. There's frustration from some people surrounding a lack of communication on systems. For example, as neat as it was to see all the cars in the latest NCW there wasn't much information on how they worked or if you could customize them at all or if you were just limited to a few presets you could find in the world. Also, there's the way the communication for the delay was handled. While there is more information coming out about the legal circumstances that forced it to play out the way it did, there is no possible way to deny having official statements by the company's PR team stating that there would be no more delays and the game would 100% launch on the November release date less than 24 hours before the delay was announced had a lot of people immediately get very skeptical. It's a lot of very conflicting reports that make it very difficult for consumers to know who to trust and CDPR certainly didn't do themselves any favors there.

Will you guys at least now explain in detail what we can expect for the next gen consoles on release date? Are the graphics going to be enhanced or are we talking just a bump in resolution and nothing more?

This whole thing is a bit ridiculous and not very consumer friendly. A lot of us want to play this game and have NO IDEA how it runs on our systems (consoles).

Please clarify the situation. Times are difficult, budget constraints are a reality for a lot of people and investing in a new console has to be worth it. I am willing to invest in a next gen console upon this game's release as long as the upgrade is worth it and not just a quick job. Please clarify the enhancements and whether we can expect a 60 fps mode on release.

Thank you
And save files compatibility with next gen patch, even more important.

Well I don't. Not at all. Delaying an already finished game is a crime toward all their customers and fans. If the console version has issues, then delay the console version, NOT the PC version.

I hate to say it but the version that will likely suffer is the PC version. I'm basing this off their own history, and the fact that PC is the one platform that doesn't require certification. So more often than not developers will adopt a fix-it-later attitude with PC. Also, the most PC centric game they made was TW1. After that, consoles compromised the other two Witcher games. This isn't me being a PC elitist, I'm just comparing their PC ports to other AAA devs and frankly when it comes to features they come up short. The other concern is them creating a cross-gen title on nine different platforms. This is genuinely the most worrisome thing i've read so far. It's likely they're spreading the teams too thin to do this, and I've seen interviews with other devs who have detailed the pitfalls of cross-gen development.

Honestly, f*ck nextgen. This shitshow will leave me with poorly optimized and worst version on regular ps4 :mad:

Looking forward to this game. But I can't trust any other release dates for it, December or otherwise. Major buzzkill.

take your time, i would really like a masterpiece, not a commercial work, stop crunching and we'll wait 'till the necessary day, it's your masterpiece, not food, we don't need it now, we need it when it's fully ready

Apparently the reason for this is because CDPR is publicly traded company and Polish law prevents disclosing information that would affect stocks to the employees before public as this would constitute insider trading. So they always announce delays when the stock market closes for the day.

Rumor is that this is not optimization specifically - there was significant issue with one of the current gen consoles (and not the one you think) that might have been detected after game was certified and actually went gold aka started being printed on disks, which would make game non-completable. So the bug fix cannot be delayed for day0 but has to be included on disk.
That would make a lot of sense. But if it's accurate, then why not just come out and say it? Some people on other platforms would complain, but the way they've chosen leaves every group complaining, and wondering just what they're going to get for their platform. Except the folks on PC, who are just wondering why they still can't play a game that was apparently ready for their platform some time ago.

Last edited:
It's a no-win situation for CDPR. Months ago people were giving them crap and telling them to delay instead of forcing their employees to crunch. Now we have a delay and everyone is mad. If the game is launched in a broken state, think about how many people would be furious with them and start trashing them online. The only way they get ahead here is if the game is "perfect", or as near-perfect as it can get, otherwise all roads lead to it being shoved under the rug for not meeting the unrealistic expectations consumers have placed on it. I will agree that CDPR probably shot themselves in the foot by marketing it as much as they have, teasing things and then cutting things, and over such a long period of time. They were successful in building up the hype to such extreme levels that in the end they'll likely just disappoint many people for not having their favorite feature or whatever. Releasing a broken game will probably end up being the "final nail in the coffin" for CDPR, because they've spent a ton of money on this and if it doesn't sell well, you might see them lose their independence and get bought by someone else just to keep them alive. I doubt anyone wants that, because CDPR is unique in that it makes great games and they decide when something is finished.

And I seriously don't understand why so many people can be so ridiculous as to think it's CDPR's fault when someone schedules two weeks off and then they delay. You took a risk and it failed. Stop blaming others for your problems and prioritize what is more important. Playing a videogame at launch day should not be very high up on that list. You're not missing anything important just because you aren't the first to finish it and gloat online about how great it is.

It's a no-win situation for CDPR. Months ago people were giving them crap and telling them to delay instead of forcing their employees to crunch. Now we have a delay and everyone is mad.

Just because there's couple people on these forums who are okay with delay, doesn't mean the majority are. I'm pretty sure that is just an illusion. Vast majority of people didn't pay attention to the game until there was a solid date, and now CDPR has slipped from that date they already gave. Everybody shouldve seen this coming.

Last edited:
From Eurogamer: https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...last-minute-work-on-current-consoles-dev-says

"Cyberpunk 2077's latest delay - to 10th December - was caused by issues with the game's current-gen console builds, developer CD Projekt Red has said.

Extra "optimisation" work was still necessary on the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One versions of Cyberpunk 2077, CD Projekt Red told investors last night, and it was this which had caused the game's release to shift back yet again.

"The game is ready for the PC and runs great on the next-gen consoles, and could be shipped on the scheduled date on those platforms," CD Projekt Red joint CEO Adam Kiciński said.

"However, even though the game has been certified on the current gens by both Sony and Microsoft, some very final optimisation processes for such a massive and complex game require a bit of additional time."

There was no suggestion of splitting the game's release date."

issues with ... current-gen console

There's that word again...

The cause for all the misery.

December 10th
My old plans
(November 2nd half - December 1st half) - Cyberpunk 2077
(December 2nd half - looooong unsleeping nights) - my 3rd child borns

My new plans
(December 2nd half - looooong unsleeping nights) - my 3rd child borns

(Where to place it?) - Cyberpunk 2077

I'm seeing the logic "the delay reduces trust they can deliver a quality product" a lot.

Is this backed up? I didn't play it but was Witcher III bad? I thought it was a quality game that was extremely succesful? This is the same developer right?

So...

1) evidence of success in recent years
2) delaying launch to ensure release is succesful for this game

I don't get it how a rational person can review that evidence and conclude anything other than they want to ensure 2077 is of the highest launch quality it can be.

Besides the obvious reasons of lacking perspective, why are people seeing this as a bad sign?
The Witcher 3 at launch was, despite the delays, buggy as hell. Especially on Playstation.
there is a reason People called it "The Glitcher". Most of the bugs have been squashed with tender loving care post launch, but some still remain.
So as you see: A delay does not neccessarily mean it will launch in a bug free or even playable state

...52% used a dedicated console, and 49% took part in PC gaming...

Well, that's interesting. I always thought console gamers outnumbered us greatly but that percentage says otherwise and I must admit I'm quite surprised. Makes me think PC gamers have more importance than I thought. Or at least that they should do...

Cyberpunk 2077 is ready for PC, right now. Other games in the past, and I'm sure you know this, have had staggered releases either releasing on PC first or Console.

Yeah, as a PC gamer I've gotten used to waiting for some games. Death Stranding, Rock* games, an AC game or two I believe awhile back. I think I read somewhere that the FFVII remake was gonna make it to PC....sometime. I feel things have improved a bit over the past few years but yeah, it wasn't an unusual occurrence. If there was ever gonna be a game that got released for PC first, I'd have wanted it to be this one!

Sigh, it's a weird feeling for so many of us to be sat behind a gaming rig and know (according to the stockholder chat posted by someone here) that we're gonna have to wait another 3 weeks because of 7 year old consoles at the end of their life-cycle, heh. Same boat for people who go and buy a next-gen console too, I guess.

Last edited:
The Witcher 3 at launch was, despite the delays, buggy as hell. Especially on Playstation.
there is a reason People called it "The Glitcher". Most of the bugs have been squashed with tender loving care post launch, but some still remain.
So as you see: A delay does not neccessarily mean it will launch in a bug free or even playable state
The problem with the path they've taken is that they've already exhausted any good will that might have existed for patching major post-launch bugs. If there's anything more than minor annoyances, then the company is going to get crushed in forums, social media, and the print media.

I just want to say how sorry and ashamed I am for the other people who have made death threats to you guys at CDPR because of this delay. I for one am very grateful for the amazing, back-breaking work you put into your games, and know that these delays are only because of how much you care about releasing the best possible product you can. The people who are so upset that they feel like it's OK to threaten and insult you are very much in the minority. Your true fans stand behind you all the way. Keep up the awesome work. You're the best!

Top Bottom