Important announcement regarding Cyberpunk 2077 release date

+
I don't approve death threats. The media is blowing out of proportion saying that all gamers are like this. Its only a minority. It seems like this is becoming like a new normal when somebody doesn't like it the product or how it went some people will just send death threats. Its happening all over the entertainment industry.
Yeah. I think (hope) it's a very tiny minority of mentally disturbed individuals sending death threats. It is unfortunate and I never approve of violence.

But the Media will take any opportunity to paint gamers as unbalanced, evil, childish, etc.

We need to temper our emotions. Yes, disappointment and frustration are warranted. But always be respectful and kind. The Devs are working their tails off trying to make the best game possible. Even if management made a big blunder - it's not right to take that out on the people working so hard to make a game designed to bring us joy and happiness.

Guest 4419929

I have been trying for almost 2 days now to get a refund on my preorder for cyberpunk2077. It seems like I am being ignored by GOG/CDPR. Any suggestions on how to move this along?

I have been trying for almost 2 days now to get a refund on my preorder for cyberpunk2077. It seems like I am being ignored by GOG/CDPR. Any suggestions on how to move this along?

Take it easy and wait. GOG might have a good number of those in line waiting to be handled.

Hei! I don't get all the fuzz... We have a continous dialogue what is done, what has happened - and over all a very transparent communication. I think people are to pampered; and if you lost your "first-week-i'm-in-holliday-experience" - well, i am one of you. I was hyped, but... well... fuck it... I believe in these crazy polaks - and still am hyped. I stand on my pre-order! Come hell or high water... And if all is lost - I play that "Fucker" next year - Corona no matter what! Big up for your efforts CD Projekt Red ;-)

We need to temper our emotions.

I think that this is the right message, but directed to the wrong people.

We don't need to temper our emotions, the guys that made the threats need to do it. They need medical atention or criminal investigation (supposing they don't have any mental health problems).

In (now 24) pages of this topic there is no single threat to any developer.

People are upset because it's the fourth release date.

And I can't speak for others, but I don't blame the developers, they only follow orders, the blame is specifically for the guy responsible for this poor decision.

As the boss he could communicate better with their PR employee; avoid all of these false promisses with the costumers; have a better time planning, instead of dreaming about a several magical release dates that clearly was impossible to be accomplished and making false delusional promisses based on that.

I feel bad for CDPR employees that have to deal with the incompetence of the guy responsible for planning and communicating. But not for the boss itself.

The author may well have had 1080ti before, for example. It is still relevant and will be for a long time, excluding RTX nuance. For me now, the only motivation to buy a new generation is Cyberpunk.

Same, I've got a 2060 super on watercooling but have been touting that after the 30 series and Big Navi shakeout, I am getting the best I can, specifically to run CP2077 at max with RTX on and never dip below 65 FPS. People that have been fully on board with a big upcoming game a lot of times base upgrades around THAT game. I'm just glad I was waiting for the full round up of cards to come out and have WC options available before buying so I wasn't sitting on a near $1K investment and still waiting on the game.

I don't know if anyone else noticed the pattern:
First official delay was 5 months, then 2 months, now 20 days.
Next will be 7-10 days, then 3-5 and then 1. We should have it by the end of the year :ROFLMAO:

Not true, still waiting for February and real next gen patch not before late 2021.
I dunno. Isn't that sort of like the frog that jumps half way to the end line each time he jumps? If so, then we may never see it.

People who took hard earned days-off, that CDPR confirmed as a solid release, etc...

The fact they react just shows they care about that game and CDPR, or no one would give a f***
I wouldn't send them deaththreats, that's childish, but yeah... All those delays that pop up at random times gets on people's nerves.

THIS. RIGHT. HERE. So much THIS. If this was just some generic game launch, the backlash wouldn't be NEARLY this viseral. But the fact that some many of us CARE SO MUCH about the dev and game being AMAZING and the pinnacle of the industry is why is evokes so so SO many strong emotions in SO many gamers.

Took me 2 and a half hours of waiting on hold to finally connect with sony and get my pre order cancelled. But it was worth it!

Sorry guys, I hear all of you talking about CDPR havin a tough time of it. I empathize, but I also put in vacation and lost it because of this. I've waited this long, I'll wait until it's very cheap before I buy it now.

Agree, it's better to delay a game than put out something bad. However, there needs to be a limit, and our only power is our money. CDPR, I wish you luck, but you caused me to lose my vacation. So, I'm taking my money away. I'm gonna have a boring vacation now, but I'll have 60 more dollars to do something with!

Setting up a strawman doesn't help your argument. I never said that Warhorse Studio's path with KCD was better.

My point simply is this: I don't trust that Cyberpunk 2077 will be GOTY-worthy, even after a delay, because it's developed by a company that has zero clue about evaluating their capacity, making realistic development plans, and avoiding overpromising stuff. These problems aren't just gonna affect the release date - although that's bad enough already - but they WILL affect the quality of Cyberpunk 2077.
Good points. IMO I wish CDPR had been less transparent. Gone the Rockstar route and released information only when they were ready.

R* would've characteristically maintained radio silence. Ignored all fan base inquiries on the when/where/why etc. details about the game until right before release.

Someone mentioned earlier the hype leading up to the release date was a lot like NMS. Sadly I'd have to agree. If CDPR opted to take R*/Bethesda route and drip fed the fan base with ONLY the current Night wire episodes we've seen to date. NO pre game hype by drip feeding influencers with alphas/demos months to a full year in advance. NO official wiki page detailing the backstories and lore of factions like the Nomads, the game's other gangs etc etc. Absolutely NO RELEASE DATES anywhere on social media or this forum. That would've avoided this PR fallout completely.

And considerably reduced the ridiculous sense of over entitlement the fan base appears to be suffering from about the game. I mean seriously. There are ppl literally asking and receiving vacation time in real life. Just so they can play the game on release day?? And literally sending the dev team DEATH THREATS because they have the emotional maturity of a 5 year old??? Seriously??? At least the majority of the former type of over zealous fan boi managed this failure state with maturity after getting this reality check. The latter needs to be investigated for criminal actions of cyber bullying and wishing harm on not just the devs, but their family members as well.

So this is why a dev should NEVER indulge their fan base with any promises of release dates. Because then, the worst element of their selfish, egocentric fan bases wouldn't be able to lose their E. Coli over something they have absolutely ZERO knowledge about, right?

I really hope this has been a learning experience for CDPR. Because this is basically what happens when a dev tries to be the good guy being consumer friendly. And always try to hold the fan base's hand. Instead of politely telling their fan base to WAIT. Because they'll release it when it's DONE. Rockstar, Bethesda (up to Fallout 4), Frontier Developments, Eleon Game Studios etc have all done this very successfully to date. And have fared none the worse for keeping the fan base in the dark. Because they've learned that doing so, makes it less likely they as a dev will bleed out from giving their fan base a motherlode of self entitlement ammo.....

Last edited:
So from the latest CDPR conference with shareholders (http://biznes.pap.pl/en/news/all/in...d-projekt-video-games-on-cyberpunk-2077-delay)

Potato current gen consoles can't run the game still.

Somebody will take a fall for this latest delay? At least this shows they know they cannot continue making games with such organizational mess.
Wait ... So the problem is that they can't get it optimized to run well on current gen? I assumed that there was some sort of problem with the next gen. But they've been working with the current gen consoles for years. There's nothing left for them to try to understand about optimizing for it. If they haven't been able to get it to run acceptably well yet on current gen, then what are they going to suddenly solve in three more weeks? Something isn't adding up for me.

Good points. IMO I wish CDPR had been less transparent. Gone the Rockstar route and released information only when they were ready.

R* would've characteristically maintained radio silence. Ignored all fan base inquiries on the when/where/why etc. details about the game until right before release.

Someone mentioned earlier the hype leading up to the release date was a lot like NMS. Sadly I'd have to agree. If CDPR opted to take R*/Bethesda route and drip fed the fan base with ONLY the current Night wire episodes we've seen to date. NO pre game hype by drip feeding influencers with alphas/demos months to a full year in advance. NO official wiki page detailing the backstories and lore of factions like the Nomads, the game's other gangs etc etc. Absolutely NO RELEASE DATES anywhere on social media or this forum. That would've avoided this PR fallout completely.

And considerably reduced the ridiculous sense of over entitlement the fan base appears to be suffering from about the game. I mean seriously. There are ppl literally asking and receiving vacation time in real life. Just so they can play the game on release day?? And literally sending the dev team DEATH THREATS because they have the emotional maturity of a 5 year old??? Seriously??? At least the majority of the former type of over zealous fan boi managed this failure state with maturity after getting this reality check. The latter needs to be investigated for criminal actions of cyber bullying and wishing harm on not just the devs, but their family members as well.

So this is why a dev should NEVER indulge their fan base with any promises of release dates. Because then, the worst element of their selfish, egocentric fan bases wouldn't be able to lose their E. Coli over something they have absolutely ZERO knowledge about, right?

I really hope this has been a learning experience for CDPR. Because this is basically what happens when a dev tries to be the good guy being consumer friendly. And always try to hold the fan base's hand. Instead of politely telling their fan base to WAIT. Because they'll release it when it's DONE. Rockstar, Bethesda (up to Fallout 4), Frontier Developments, Eleon Game Studios etc have all done this very successfully to date. And have fared none the worse for keeping the fan base in the dark. Because they've learned that doing so, makes it less likely they as a dev will bleed out from giving their fan base a motherlode of self entitlement ammo.....

Funny that you should mention Bethesda and Fallout in the the same post where you are low key flaming people for taking vacation time to play a game at launch. In the last 2 decades (yes I'm a near 40 yr old gamer) out of the 6 games I have taken time off for, 4 of them were Bethesda games. I WAS a MASSIVE Bethesda fan and Fallout was MY series (I was around when its predecessor Wastlands was a thing) Fallout 3, Skyrim, Fallout 4 and then the final Bethesda product I will ever have purchased, FO76.

I would take anywhere from a 4 day weekend to a week off, just to recharge, have some fun and enjoy a mental reset. It's no different than any other vacations like camping, concerts, paintball event, or taking a day off to go see a movie on opening night. If a company, ANY company, takes your money and promises you a thing will be ready on a specific date, its not unreasonable to plan some time around that. Knowing the industry its smart to prepare for a delay, sure. But in NO industry is it ok to repeatedly delay, delay, delay. People have a right to be upset. Not "death threats" and psychotic level upset. But reasonably upset and hurt, makes perfect sense. And I definitely understand a lot of them pulling their money.

As far as your other points made, a little more discretion and ensuring that they were SURE SURE before announcing would have probably been a MUCH better move for sure.
Post automatically merged:

Wait ... So the problem is that they can't get it optimized to run well on current gen? I assumed that there was some sort of problem with the next gen. But they've been working with the current gen consoles for years. There's nothing left for them to try to understand about optimizing for it. If they haven't been able to get it to run acceptably well yet on current gen, then what are they going to suddenly solve in three more weeks? Something isn't adding up for me.

My guess on this is they were really developing for the PC, kept building the hype and over-promising on the graphics and physics and scope of the open world and once all that massive overhype was there its been a massive pain to get it to run on the current gen without looking like a Division or Anthem style bait and switch. So they are trying to keep it looking close enough to not get lumped in there and still get it to not run like a slideshow. Which, to be honest, who knows if its even possible.

But they are going to do everything to find SOME optimization path to make it work.

How 3 weeks is going to fix that beats me, I'm sure it depends on how much of their resources they devote to it and ifs its even technically possible.

Last edited:
This delay could be the difference between CP2077 being GOTY 2020 or not. Why can't ppl see that??

Since you mentioned it, I think CP2077 isn't going to fare as well as TW3 in that regard. Which is a shame.

I say this because some game awards, including the one Geoff Keighley does, won't consider CP for 2020 now. That means the game will be a year old by the time it's eligible.

Don't get me wrong; awards aren't the be all and end all obviously - far from it. Long term player recognition and 'reverance' is. Still, it would have been great to see CP come in and sweep things.

Speaking as someone who bought Anthem and now is waiting for Anthem 2.0 and hoping it will be everything it should have been when it launched. If this means we get the game we deserve and you guys have poured your time, effort and hearts do what you gotta do!

Why not release on PC on the 19th as planned. It seems a no brainer to me. Money is coming in and the public is happy.

Nov 19th PC release, digital download = Profit

Release on Consoles, Dec 10 = Profit

Release on Stadia, when its ready = Profit

That would also be a negative PR moment, as it would anger all the non-PC gamers out there, just as PC gamers would be upset if the situation were reversed. Another, probably more important factor to consider is that the vast majority of money in gaming comes from console gamers and not PC gamers. That's not to say the money made from PC gamers is insignificant, otherwise there'd be no PC games at all, but it is the reality that money talks and if a company has to choose between two consumer groups to anger, they can be forgiven for choosing the smaller of the two groups.

All that aside, I am still hugely disappointed, perhaps even a bit angry, that CDPR chose to give iron-clad assurances of no more delays... and then still delayed. That is using up consumer trust and whether the reason for the delay is valid or not, it's not something any company can do repeatedly without some sort of consequence. They seriously need to hire actual project managers.

Top Bottom