Important announcement regarding Cyberpunk 2077 release date

+
That [Releasing CP on 19th Nov] would also be a negative PR moment, as it would anger all the non-PC gamers out there, just as PC gamers would be upset if the situation were reversed.
The more I think about it, and especially after having seen the recent AMD announcement, as a PC gamer I'm actually happy about the game being delayed. It probably has prevented me from spending money on an overpriced graphics card. CDPR may have saved me hundreds of [choose your favorite currency $/€/¥/₽/֏ ]

All that aside, I am still hugely disappointed, perhaps even a bit angry, that CDPR chose to give iron-clad assurances of no more delays... and then still delayed. That is using up consumer trust and whether the reason for the delay is valid or not, it's not something any company can do repeatedly without some sort of consequence. They seriously need to hire actual project managers.

Yeah, I think that is the reason most people are angry. It's not the delay per se, but the broken promise. It must be awful for the devs and the employees - I don't think they knew about the delay either and they've been getting the brunt of the negative feedback. I just hope they're doing OK...

In any event, no sense worrying about things you can't change. Plus, it gives us another 21 days to do other things! Once CP drops, that's all I'm going to be doing for quite a while!

As fun as it is to get information on an anticipated game long before it releases, CD Projekt Red...and other AAA developers really, would probably be better off being very tight-lipped about projects until they are close to release. Go the route Rockstar went with RDR2.

Don't promise the moon and just blitz with the marketing once the game is in a state where it is close to finished and it can be confidently stated that it won't delay. Keep projected release dates in house and don't put them out for the public until the game is in a state that you can safely do that.

That would also be a negative PR moment, as it would anger all the non-PC gamers out there, just as PC gamers would be upset if the situation were reversed. Another, probably more important factor to consider is that the vast majority of money in gaming comes from console gamers and not PC gamers. That's not to say the money made from PC gamers is insignificant, otherwise there'd be no PC games at all, but it is the reality that money talks and if a company has to choose between two consumer groups to anger, they can be forgiven for choosing the smaller of the two groups.

A well written and thoughtful post. You're sort of right, in America at least. According to Statista 2020, when US gamers were asked which platform they preferred for gaming, it was found that 61% used their Smartphone, 52% used a dedicated console, and 49% took part in PC gaming. That is America alone. I'm not American and people from all over the world post on these forums. Mobile has become King the past few years, but that is not what this conversation is about.

Cyberpunk 2077 is ready for PC, right now. Other games in the past, and I'm sure you know this, have had staggered releases either releasing on PC first or Console.

Cyberpunk 2077 is not ready for all consoles right now. The suits decided they wanted to release on every platform at the same time, thus the delay.

This is where we are right now.

GamStats1.png

I found this interesting however. It seems Developers develop PC games the most. I would be remiss if I didn't add that many console owners own PC's and vice versa.

Last edited:
I dunno. Isn't that sort of like the frog that jumps half way to the end line each time he jumps? If so, then we may never see it.
Makes sense. :think:
Post automatically merged:

A well written and thoughtful post. You're sort of right, in America at least. According to Statista 2020, when US gamers were asked which platform they preferred for gaming, it was found that 61% used their Smartphone, 52% used a dedicated console, and 49% took part in PC gaming. That is America alone. I'm not American and people from all over the world post on these forums. Mobile has become King the past few years, but that is not what this conversation is about.

Cyberpunk 2077 is ready for PC, right now. Other games in the past, and I'm sure you know this, have had staggered releases either releasing on PC first or Console.

Cyberpunk 2077 is not ready for all consoles right now. The suits decided they wanted to release on every platform at the same time, thus the delay.

View attachment 11065649
I found this interesting however. It seems Developers develop PC games the most. I would be remiss if I didn't add that many console owners own PC's and vice versa.
Just to say that graphic makes no sense. Look at all the junk that comes out on Steam (thousands of games every month and I'm not kidding) or consoles exclusives (Sony and Nintendo). You need to look at AA, AAA and good indie games to make valid statistics.
From that graphic it seems like Linux is a totally viable platform for gaming for the average guy comparable to ps5 while we all know the vast majority of "big games" doesn't run natively on it and needs some home made work around.
Or Nintendo Switch where you literally can't play blockbusters like assassin's creed (switch is very good for other reasons, namely Nintendo exclusives and portability)

Last edited:
This is my final word on the matter, for now. Though I remain extremely disappointed by this turn of events, I believe it the height of hyperbole to start lumping CDPR in with the likes of EA, Bethesda or Ubisoft. Though this delay has seriously dented my faith in CDPR management, it took a whole host of extremely poor decisions, over a decade or so, for me to truly hate those other 3 companies. I will wait to see how CDPR manages the next 8-12 months before casting any final judgement.

And if current gen consols are really problem and game can't run well on them, and CDPR don't magicly get to fix them in this 3 weeks, what than ??? one more delay and if they don't get it to work again, delay game one more time till we get it to work ???

The strangest thing that they delayed the game after it gone gold. Wonder how buggy/purly optimised it without day 1 patch, because if it's so bad, than why they started to print discs in such bad technical statement.

Yes, hiding things to your own employees that affect them to such an extend is plain wrong.
Apparently the reason for this is because CDPR is publicly traded company and Polish law prevents disclosing information that would affect stocks to the employees before public as this would constitute insider trading. So they always announce delays when the stock market closes for the day.

Wait ... So the problem is that they can't get it optimized to run well on current gen? I assumed that there was some sort of problem with the next gen. But they've been working with the current gen consoles for years. There's nothing left for them to try to understand about optimizing for it. If they haven't been able to get it to run acceptably well yet on current gen, then what are they going to suddenly solve in three more weeks? Something isn't adding up for me.
Rumor is that this is not optimization specifically - there was significant issue with one of the current gen consoles (and not the one you think) that might have been detected after game was certified and actually went gold aka started being printed on disks, which would make game non-completable. So the bug fix cannot be delayed for day0 but has to be included on disk.

Will you guys at least now explain in detail what we can expect for the next gen consoles on release date? Are the graphics going to be enhanced or are we talking just a bump in resolution and nothing more?

This whole thing is a bit ridiculous and not very consumer friendly. A lot of us want to play this game and have NO IDEA how it runs on our systems (consoles).

Please clarify the situation. Times are difficult, budget constraints are a reality for a lot of people and investing in a new console has to be worth it. I am willing to invest in a next gen console upon this game's release as long as the upgrade is worth it and not just a quick job. Please clarify the enhancements and whether we can expect a 60 fps mode on release.

Thank you

Give CD Projekt Red some time to create a game with a soul, for example, like The Witcher series, people who like to play games from other developers who go like a pipeline, naturally, this news does not triple ... But this is not a reason to escalate the situation, we are all people and we must understand that now they may have many reasons to postpone the release date, take remote work, for example. CD Projekt Red do what you do and health to you, let the negative people who react violently to this news bounce off you as from shield. P.S We must hastily do what is not so important, in order to do slowly what is important.

I'm seeing the logic "the delay reduces trust they can deliver a quality product" a lot.

Is this backed up? I didn't play it but was Witcher III bad? I thought it was a quality game that was extremely succesful? This is the same developer right?

So...

1) evidence of success in recent years
2) delaying launch to ensure release is succesful for this game

I don't get it how a rational person can review that evidence and conclude anything other than they want to ensure 2077 is of the highest launch quality it can be.

Besides the obvious reasons of lacking perspective, why are people seeing this as a bad sign?

Since is first game that after going Gold get delayed, they delayed game 3 times, other then 2018 45 minute demo we never see full gameplay again, we see heavily edited short stuff that was not some new ground breaking things.

Witcher games are fun and good, but they are not masterpieces and with out problems, they had a lot of bugs and problems, story is good but it can drag it self to long, combat is really weak, world content was from ok to boring, enemy range from to easy to godlike, and not in a fun way, example you see monster with skull over his head and you still kill it easy, few steps away is peasant with same skull icon and he just one shot you.

And again no new info or videos from CP2077 since april, no info of skills, how stats affect you how they affect combat, are RPG elements only dialogue choices, totally removing a class and making it only crafting skill..... and many other stuff.

Guest 4419821

When I heard about this delay, I was very disappointed, not so much on the waiting longer but just because I had a nice break off work around launch, with time to relax before busy Christmas period. I booked the 19th off especially to play this.

In any case I will just play other games, I just hope CP2077 lives up to expectations.

I think CDPR have gave themselves a lot of work having to deal with all the different consoles and pc, so the delays have been understandable, I do think they should have not bothered with Stadia however, lets be honest how many people will play this game on that system, very few. I guess Google chucked a lot of money at CDPR to get it on Stadia though.

View attachment 11065649
Huge THANK YOU for injecting statistical sanity into this post. This is the sort of factual data I'd been scouring the web for. If you ignore the mobile platform (which sadly is a rapidly growing tend that justifies anti consumer microtransactions of AAA devs like EA) the reality is the split between console to PC for gamers is nearly 50 : 50.

And it's exactly what you said. There is clear uncertainty these statistics account for overlaps between platforms i.e. old school, late 90's PCMR gamers like me who also have XBX1 and/or PS. So we can play console centric AAA titles the likes of GTAO and RDR at release. Which typically follow the one year release schedule before a crappy game port to PC. So I suspect the result for PC platform may be a bit skewed and inflated.

Regardless, I think you're right on point about that speculation for the delay. IMO CDPR needs to have an internal "Come to Jesus" moment with the dev team. Engage in true self inflection for the WHY behind the need to delay the game. When it's crystal clear they could've released it for a specific platform (for which the game was clearly optimized for).

For now, I'm starting to suspect they might have wanted to follow the old AAA dev industry model. Set gamer expectations by being upfront with the fan base on what to expect with platform release schedules. Like 8 years ago at CP2077 reveal, tell the fan base what technically sure platform (e.g. PC) would be released first. Followed by the other less technically certain platform (e.g. console) up to a year later. Why? Because THIS HAS BEEN DONE BEFORE BY AAA DEVS, AND WITH RELEASE DATE DELAYS. Sadly, us gamers have extremely short attention spans:

Console release date was delayed until the following year due to technical & performance challenges. The PC version wasn't released until 6 months later (at Christmas) of the same year. Fan base moaned and complained with the delay in the console release. And us PC gamers wearily resigned ourselves to wait for our release months later. In either case, GTA IV (and all it's DLC) made it into the market. Where it was eagerly consumed and favorably received by both critics and fan base alike.

Original release on BOTH platforms was Nov 2005. Developmental delays pushed it out to Mar 2006. Fan base on all platforms complained and whined as usual. But that didn't stop Oblivion from becoming GOTY months after final release. The TES fan base (of which I'm old school card carrying member) still went ahead and bought it regardless of the disappointment. And really hate to inject the cancer that is F76 here. But this abomination of the Fallout universe Bethesda insists on calling a game STILL has a dedicated fan base to date. Same reality with Anthem...

Bethesda's TES V: Skyrim. Bethesda stuck to their historic 11.11.11 deadline for both PC and console. Which came at the expense of game breaking bugs, and poorly optimized game engine performance issues (city Markarth interior being a classic example). While fan base expectations for release were met 100%, Skyrim suffered from critical and chronic game engine bugs, in game technical issues with quests etc., and performance optimization issues.

All of this drama surrounding Skyrim's buggy game performance at release was on the 32 bit Win OS platform alone. So the console version was a nightmare for console gamers. Who were screwed until Bethesda finally enabled port of mods to the console with the 64bit SSE version some 4 years later. It was only then console gamers were finally able to enjoy a relatively bug free, ultra HD graphical experience loaded with free modded DLC. Which us PC gamers have always taken for granted.

But Skyrim's on time release didn't stop it from going on to become one of the biggest GOTYs of all time. And remain ranking in Steam's top 100 after a decade to date. You see, Skyrim is an odd creature because the game breaking bugs at release should've killed it. However Skyrim was saved thanks to the genius of the PC modding community. Gifted modders the likes of Arthmoor and his Unofficial Skyrim Patches. Which fixed some 99% of the game breaking bugs in Skyrim, except the most chronic ones associated with the game engine. Which can only be addressed by Bethesda, and so will NEVER be fixed by them in the future.

But despite TES fan base fallout over the buggy game play, Bethesda's reputation remained largely unsullied thanks to the PC modding community. At least that's the way it was until the cancer that was F76. The best summary on the web of how AAA Bethesda has tried to commit murder-suicide of the Fallout franchise and itself is by Internet Historian here. And ALL of this went down in THIRTY CALENDAR DAYS.....

Since the time of Skyrim and definitely by GTAO V release, it's now become an industry standard to release a title on ALL platforms. Gone is the old model of releasing for PC/console first, releasing for the other platform a year later, while taking advantage of the interim between platform releases (to polish the performance on the console platform). It now appears CDPR is defaulting to this obsoleted industry model.

Which might NOT be a bad thing for their rep and status as a AA dev rapidly growing into a AAA dev due to their success with Witcher franchise.

It seems we're now at the peak of fan base disappointment, betrayal, and all the predictable complaining and whinging that accompanies the game delay. But regardless, bank on reality CDPR's reputation (and future fan base loyalty) will remain intact after this PR fallout. Rockstar AND Bethesda have proved this is 99.9999% possible. :LOL:

Last edited:
I want the game as much as anyone else but, I'm fine with waiting for a little longer for an awesome game. I totally understand why they are delaying the game. The game will be ready when the game is ready. it's only 21 days.

Well I don't. Not at all. Delaying an already finished game is a crime toward all their customers and fans. If the console version has issues, then delay the console version, NOT the PC version.

I don't have any compassion for their management left. CDPR is doing everything they said they wouldn't be doing. They said there wouldn't be crunch. They have been crunching since late september. Schreier reported somebody clocking a 100-hour week. They said there would be no more delays. There is the delay that invalidates their marketing campaign. This is nothing short of a colossal fuck-up of management at this point.

CDPR claims that the reason why 90% of the studio was kept in dark about the delay was stock market regulations. Those who want to believe, believe.

Top Bottom