Important issue - eyes

+
Important issue - eyes

I've noticed that some of the character eyes are static (elf antagonist for example). I hope that it is just because cdprojekt hasn't had time to implement it by the time of E3.Now I'm not talking about eyes just blinking - of course, this helps too, but what I want to say is that, for an RPG, immersion is all, and when characters are speaking, eyes can most often give away the true feelings and intentions that are happening behind the spoken word.As such, having those animated will make a scene have a much bigger impact as you are able to identify with the characters, rather than the static, robotic eyes we've seen at E3 that have this unnatural feel to them.

I was gonna make a post about that, after watching the majority of vids about the game the static eyes jumpout like the only thing decreasing the immersion, imo this game looks just as good or even better than mass effect 2 in terms of virtual acting, but the eyes are braking the illusion of life, eyes never stand stand still, they make jerky motions all the time.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SaccadeThe eyes on all the characters are missing the saccade motion, I have no doubt this will be addressed, many games in the past have overlooked this, and all of them lack that naturalistic feel, this games is looking awesome and could easily take biowares throne as the best in the virtual acting rpg business, its already 400 times better than any other rpg on the market, but please fix the eyes :DLooking forward playing this masterpiece -Luis-

and in this one triss' eyeballs are so big they make her look like a doll

I actually came here to post about Geralt's eyes. They don't seem to glow as much, which is upsetting. I loved being in a dark dungeon with no torch or light, but I could still see my eyes.GIVE GERALT HIS CAT EYES

They seem to have made his eyes look more like the vampires out of Daybreakers, i agree his old eyes looked good, they should have just touched them up with the improved engine.

in the books geralt can narrow his pupil at will right? i hope the game reflects that. a simple model change between lit places and dark places will do.

I am just finishing playing through the Starcraft II campaign. The animatics are very good. Among other things this has been achieved by great eye movement animations. It sets a benchmark I really hope CD Projekt can achieve.So CD Projekt please study how Blizzard and others did it so we can have nice immersion.And of course thumbs up for the cat eyes!

Braag

Forum veteran
krisk7 said:
I am just finishing playing through the Starcraft II campaign. The animatics are very good. Among other things this has been achieved by great eye movement animations. It sets a benchmark I really hope CD Projekt can achieve.So CD Projekt please study how Blizzard and others did it so we can have nice immersion.And of course thumbs up for the cat eyes!
I actually finished the campaign recently too and the in game cinematic were some of the best I've ever seen. So detailed and well animated.

Care to elaborate?I guess you would argue then that an RPG is all about statics?I personally think it should be a nice blend between immersion and game play,also immersion IS game play, if I'm playing in this world I would like to be ableto believe in it as much as i can both visually and intellectually, good immersionis good story telling, and with out good storytelling there not much to look at.I also think that game play had a much bigger slice of the game cake in years past becausegraphics could simply not do what they can now, but right now it think both things are as important.
xuerebx said:
"An RPG is all about immersion."No.

maxetormer said:
Care to elaborate?I guess you would argue then that an RPG is all about statics?I personally think it should be a nice blend between immersion and game play,also immersion IS game play, if I'm playing in this world I would like to be ableto believe in it as much as i can both visually and intellectually, good immersionis good story telling, and with out good storytelling there not much to look at.I also think that game play had a much bigger slice of the game cake in years past becausegraphics could simply not do what they can now, but right now it think both things are as important.
maxetormer said:
"An RPG is all about immersion."No.
Ofcourse RPG's aren't about immersion. It's a myth developers like bethesda try to create. RPGs are about role-playing. Lots of choices and even more consequences are what makes RPGs great. That's why fallout 1 & 2 are still one of the best (if not the best) RPGs I've played.

"Lots of choices and even more consequences are what makes RPGs great."Yes, that is what i meant, the choices and consequences make you feel that you arein real fleshed out world, and with today's graphic capabilities this canbe enhanced even more, to disregard graphics entirely makes no sense now or at the beginning of the game industry, in times past the artists doing the work would not do the spritesthe way they did 'em, cause they wanted to go old school, they were doing cuttingedge stuff at the time, those guy were trying to make the best looking possible game within the scope of their time.Yes all those old school RPG they were done with the best graphics of their timeand within the best technology they had to make them as believable as possible.Like wise now, I would think one should strive to make the best out of the graphicaland the gameplay elements, choices and consequences are game play which imois just as important as how the world is represented.If there's no emotion on the characters eyes and expression, why would I care about their fate?like wise if the game play is all stale and with no consequences to my actions, why would i care to spendmy time playing your game?In case you were to say "use your imagination" well then, they just might as well strip all the graphics down and go for a text based rpg, but theres already D&D for that,this as a VIDEO GAME RPG it's meant to be SEEN. And Bethesda has the most HORRID virtual acting in all of the rpg industry, they werethe first to make a full sandbox rpg, but hell their facial animation is so stale I couldswear they recorded their motion capture from a corpse.They aren't the best example in terms of plasticity of face expression, i didn't finished thatgame cause hell, all the god dam npcs act and move the same, i could go to a puppet showand get more involved in the story, hell they ought to take lesson from the Muppets!The funny thing is that in the past 'cause the sprites were so little i could actually play outthe expressions in my head and imagine the acting like as if it was a book, but nowthe faces are THERE, and if they are gonna be there, rendered so realistically then they should be made to move as good they can, I not saying they ought to be perfect,but by todays standards 3d facial animation can be done pretty dam well.Fallout was brilliant gameplay wise, but shit, they used the exact same shitty face animation system they usedfor Oblivion, thats just ¡?=*## with the costumers.As for the Witcher they are actually more than MEGA SUPER overhauling the character designsand animation, this the first time that went, "WOW, here's a company that is actually doing the stuff, not just preaching about their innovations they are actually making them happen.Props to the animation and modeling TEAM!! HELL YEAH(but pretty please with a cherry on top, fix the eyes :p )

One last thing, in this ingame cut scene:http://tw2.thewitcher.com/#video/0_1the eye saccade motion is present, that Imo this is one of the bestpieces of acting iv seen in and out of the game video industry,if the eyes are gonna look like that on the rest of the game, thenI have 0 requests, this one vid is nearly perfect, and since itsrendered with the in game engine I have hopes that rest of the gamewill have the same quality face expression wise.

I'm gonna have to go with Max on this one. While story and choice is of course paramount, so is immersion. Immersion just means that you feel a part of the world, and thus care about what happens within it. I don't see how that could be considered unimportant. Imagination certainly can fill in the blanks when dealing with text/pen and paper RPG's, or computer RPG's with primitive graphics. But that's filling in the blanks, this would require REPLACING details in our mind, it's different. Things like this really can break your immersion, because it calls forth the dreaded Uncanny Valley. The problem is, because we are so familiar with humans, it takes a lot to crawl your way out of the valley. But they can try, and random eye movement is a big part of that, since it is actually very rare for people to NOT move their eyes, even when apparently looking directly at someone or something, because that's not how our eyes/brain work. We look rapidly at several points and our brain stitches together the scene. To lack this movement makes them seem less than alive, and it's creepy.And yes, Bethesda's people are very very much on the creepy uncanny valley end of things (though I actually did like both Elder Scrolls and Fallout 3). I think at the very least, the Witcher already has them beat in that regard. :p and yes, that cutscene was well done. If there are dead eyes elsewhere, I am hoping it's just because they haven't put the final polish on yet.

Top Bottom