Important news regarding Cyberpunk 2077 release date

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
Salt or no salt, this news piece rings true to my mind and now I, too, hope for a 2021 next-gen exclusive release.

Why do that, you ask? Because I am now replaying TW3 and the NPCs and assets that spawn a mere two feet in front me are totally ruining my immersion. (n)

I do not want to experience similar behaviour with the PC version of CP2077 just because it had to be scaled down (read downgraded) to work on this generation of consoles that is already at its end. :(

So once again consoles are the pebble in the shoe?

They should’vemade a PC exclusive game that gets ported to consoles when it can, in the first place.

Not that I mind postponing the release, but... anyway. PC master race yadda yadda.

A more technically humble (but mechanically much more ambitious) game would’ve also sufficed (and from the looks of it, would’ve been better too).

I don't know, they said this time they haven't repeated the same mistake they did with TW3 (making the game for high-end PCs and then scaling it down for consoles => failure followed by 2 delays) and this time they were fully aware of consoles' hardware... Also, I'm far from being impressed by how the game looks, not really "impossible on consoles". On the other hand, this guy is apparently known as the "polish schreirer" so he should be reliable.

Either way, delay with next gen coming 2 months later, plans for the obvious re-release not discosed yet and I fear won't until release (greedy no free upgrade patch opposite to "we leave greed to others"), this rumor of technical issues on consoles and TW3's far from perfect frame rate, CDPR refusing to show any console footage... I'm getting more and more convinced that I should cancel my amazon pre-order, wait for 2 months, and buy it directly on next gen. Because I will never ever buy a game twice. Hadn't I have an amazon discount, I wouldn't have preordered it at all.

I don't know, they said this time they haven't repeated the same mistake they did with TW3 (making the game for high-end PCs and then scaling it down for consoles => failure followed by 2 delays) and this time they were fully aware of consoles' hardware... Also, I'm far from being impressed by how the game looks, not really "impossible on consoles". On the other hand, this guy is apparently known as the "polish schreirer" so he should be reliable.

Either way, delay with next gen coming 2 months later, plans for the obvious re-release not discosed yet and I fear won't until release (greedy no free upgrade patch opposite to "we leave greed to others"), this rumor of technical issues on consoles and TW3's far from perfect frame rate, CDPR refusing to show any console footage... I'm getting more and more convinced that I should cancel my amazon pre-order, wait for 2 months, and buy it directly on next gen. Because I will never ever buy a game twice. Hadn't I have an amazon discount, I wouldn't have preordered it at all.
Your feelings are in no way misplaced. At this point, I couldn't buy this game on current gen console, knowing that they're having these issues and will be forced to downgrade if it even makes it to current gen. I think they need to be more transparent, officially, about this and their plans for next gen.

Better get a GoG or Gaben version. If there is Enhanced Edition it should be free for PC like in the past.
This won't be the case for consoles. Even if the game plays on series X as backwards compatible, it will still be missing features and graphics of the next gen console. Makes more sense to hold off and buy for next gen console to start

I mean, I was already pretty skeptical about this to be honest. The launch Xbox One and PS4 were criticized as being woefully underpowered for a "next gen" console. With CDPR developing for a console at the end of its lifespan and with big upgrades in hardware (both PC and console) being released this year, I can't help but feel this game will never reach its potential.

Trying to release on outdated hardware instead of developing this game for next-gen and PC hardware to begin with just seems asinine to me.

Rumors are rumors, but seeing the console problems at launch leads me to think there's a lot of truth in them. I'll be holding off any purchases until next year or until DLC is finished to make sure I get the actual game. Even then I feel like it won't be what it could have been sadly.

Better get a GoG or Gaben version. If there is Enhanced Edition it should be free for PC like in the past.
I don't have a gaming pc neither plans to get one. To date.
This won't be the case for consoles. Even if the game plays on series X as backwards compatible, it will still be missing features and graphics of the next gen console. Makes more sense to hold off and buy for next gen console to start
IN THEORY next gen's backward compatibility should work as mid-gen's: you buy a "normal" ps4 game, install it, download "ps4 pro enhanced" patch. Play. Problem is sony and MS haven't talked about it yet. So it's very possible that there won't be a next gen patch, but another, greedy, re-release.
As I said before I expect, if not demand, CDPR to unveil their plans prior to release according to the famous "we leave greed to others" quote:

They tell me "CP77 will have a free upgrade patch for every platofrm", I buy the game at day one and then play it again on next-gen. They tell me "you need to buy it again/buy upgrade patch", I wait till next gen. They don't say anything until after launch, "rockstar style", then I'm very disappointed. And probably buy an used copy of the game and then re-sell it. Retail for the win.

Sigh... I really hoped I would not have to read stuff like this anymore.

When I read that Cyberpunk got delayed I was rather upset and disappointed.
New PC is ready. Vacation is clear. Everything (Collectors Edition, Books) is ordered.
No need to get into more details but my hype for the game is rather dead at the moment.

Main reason why I was upset is because I simply do not believe the whole narrative of just fixing and polishing.

We have received very little in-game footage so far.
And in the vids we have seen (and the ones we should not have seen...) the graphics did not really blow me away.
Made me wonder if the game runs at all with RTX on at the moment.
Did not even think about consoles at that point. Red Dead Redemption 2 showed what was still possible on those systems.

Now we get these rumors of which we don't know if there is any truth to them.

If anything of this ends up to be true and the current gen console versions have to be downgraded then I am very sorry for the players on those systems.

But IF the pc version ends up being downgraded from what we have seen because of this... (remember WatchDogs...)

If that happens I will still play the game on launch.
But I will buy it on my main platform (Steam), sell my collectors edition and cancel the rest of what I have ordered.

Don't fuck this up CDPR.
If the delay ends up making all players on all systems happy in the end so be it. Then it was worth it.
But please dont give us any half assed version of the game.

Meh, absolutely nothing new, i still remember Obsidian admitting consoles held back FNV and it could've been very different if it was PC only, either way
i just hope they don't delay it further :sleep:
if they do, then PLEASE release it on PC first, ill gladly "beta test" it for them

If the consoles holding the game back thing is accurate, it's unfortunate, but there's a lot to consider here.

First of all, no PC player gets to jump up on a pedestal and talk down to those "darned console peasants" for "ruining their next-gen ep1c gam3." If you're doing that, knock it off. It makes you look like an idiot, it makes our entire community (As PC players) look like idiots, and it doesn't aid your argument.

Without consoles, CD Projekt Red would not exist in its current form. We would not have Cyberpunk, we would not have The Witcher 3. Yes, the PC market is huge, but to support massive projects like this, console revenue is 250% necessary. With all of that said... if the delay does mean the game is going to get worse, not better, across all platforms (Without some sort of optional patch on PC/next-gen to bring things back up to par), that would be quite unfortunate. A necessarily evil, but unfortunate.

As a PC player with a pretty good rig, I like to take advantage of what I've invested my funds into. I don't expect everyone to be willing or able to follow suit, and it's not something I lord over anyone. Some people like cars, some people like gardening or animals, I happen to loooooove PC hardware and gaming. I make sacrifices elsewhere to fund that.

Just as there are respective benefits for people who invest in those hobbies (more happiness for their animals, a prettier/more varied garden, faster/better cars), I expect to get the "full" experience in PC games.

I agree with @Mybrokenenglish that the game doesn't look impossible to run, but it is quite the ambitious project visually speaking. Not sure if the original Xbox One's CPU could handle what's going to happen on-screen without some serious cutbacks to NPC density. Xbox One X, maybe.

Last edited:
http://www.pushsquare.com/news/2020...yed_because_it_runs_badly_on_ps4_and_xbox_one

I understand this is a rumor, but there is a reasonable chance this is one reason for the delay. We expect the game to run at a mostly stable 30 fps. Witcher 3 had performance issues at launch, which were massively ironed out after many patches. I don't expect Cyberpunk's launch performance to be perfect, but it at least shouldn't be worse than what we got at the launch of the Witcher 3. After years of working with the current consoles, I'd expect cdpr to have a better understanding of the systems architecture, leading to a better optimized game.

I'm just going to throw out there that a game "not running well" on XYZ hardware is a normal part of the development process.

They got The Witcher 3 running on a bloody hand-held, for crying out loud.

I'm just going to throw out there that a game "not running well" on XYZ hardware is a normal part of the development process.

They got The Witcher 3 running on a bloody hand-held, for crying out loud.
That's true.

The bigger point here isn't just that the game wasn't running well, but that it was delayed because it wasn't running well on a specific console. This maybe means they went too ambitious.

Not sure how much merit there is to that claim, but it does raise the question: will the delay be used to make the game better, or to make it worse in some ways to compensate (in addition to the usual polish/bug-fixing)?

We'll never know. Either way, I'm fine with it as long as there's the usual PC optimizations and updates. Everybody should get a chance to play this game, whether they're on the original Xbone or the One X, or the next-gen consoles.

Without consoles, CD Projekt Red would not exist in its current form. We would not have Cyberpunk, we would not have The Witcher 3. Yes, the PC market is huge, but to support massive projects like this, console revenue is 250% necessary.

While I agree, I must say that getting big also usually comes with a dear cost if remaining big (and getting even bigger) is the chief goal.

I sometimes find myself wishing CDPR had remained somewhere where they were with Witcher 2.

And on other avenues, I hope Larian won’t get much bigger anymore, lest they need to start compromising for the big markets like everyone else after certain thresholds.

While I agree, I must say that getting big also usually comes with a dear cost if remaining big (and getting even bigger) is the chief goal.

I sometimes find myself wishing CDPR had remained somewhere where they were with Witcher 2.

And on other avenues, I hope Larian won’t get much bigger anymore, lest they need to start compromising for the big markets like everyone else after certain thresholds.
Perfectly fair point, and I agree with you. There is something to be said for remaining small and flexible. You can take more "risks" (making proper RPGs, for example) without worrying about sinking your company if your games aren't a massive success.

Fewer employees means less overhead, which means less revenue needed to generate a profit or remain sustainable.

It is very possible to make PC-exclusive games and do well. But you have to stay either small, or mid-sized to do so. CDPR is far past that point now, and they can't turn back time.

I agree with @Mybrokenenglish that the game doesn't look impossible to run, but it is quite the ambitious project visually speaking. Not sure if the original Xbox One's CPU could handle what's going to happen on-screen without some serious cutbacks to NPC density. Xbox One X, maybe.
I think the issue is slow DDR3-memory or raw GPU power related. In fact, Xbox One S' CPU is clocked higher than PS4s, that's their only difference, in Xbox's favor in fact. Yet no mention of PS4 Slim being a performance holdback. Ever. In history of 8th gen consoles.

there's no way a console (even one x) or a low to mid level pc can handle that number of NPCs in watson if not at 480p, but they'll just decrese their number with the usual slider.
I'm more scared for the destructible environment, control has quite a lot of problems even on mid-gen.

First of all, no PC player gets to jump up on a pedestal and talk down to those "darned console peasants" for "ruining their next-gen ep1c gam3." If you're doing that, knock it off. It makes you look like an idiot, it makes our entire community (As PC players) look like idiots, and it doesn't aid your argument.
<3

I think the issue is slow DDR3-memory or raw GPU power related. In fact, Xbox One S' CPU is clocked higher than PS4s, that's their only difference, in Xbox's favor in fact. Yet no mention of PS4 Slim being a performance holdback. Ever. In history of 8th gen consoles.
Interesting. Could be.

But for NPC density in particular, that sounds like more of a CPU issue than anything. If we're talking more about the rendering of the city itself, I agree that other components are likely to create a bottleneck.

there's no way a console (even one x) or a low to mid level pc can handle that number of NPCs in watson if not at 480p, but they'll just decrese their number with the usual slider.
I'm more scared for the destructible environment, control has quite a lot of problems even on mid-gen.

<3

Yeah, slider is the best way to handle that.

I suppose distance rendering is another thing they could compromise on to hopefully get the city to work on older consoles. Newer consoles will probably have less of an issue with that. Not just next gen, but the Pro and One X, as well. Which I think a lot of people have now?

As for destructible environments, I haven't played Control much (about 20 minutes or so, maybe an hour) so I can't speak to any issues. I'll take your word for it.

Either way, my core hope is that this delay doesn't strip any features due to console limitations, but just visuals. Visuals fidelity is easy to regain, through mods on PC, or patches and optimizations on consoles.

Of course, as Sard said, this is just a rumor. It's not necessarily accurate, even though I think there's a better than 30% chance it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom