Important news regarding Cyberpunk 2077 release date

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd rather play a polished game later, than a buggy one earlier.

Ya'll aren't dying very soon (I hope), you can wait.

Sorry, at the moment it's too early for us to talk about such technical details.

I don’t want to sound like a smart-ass or anything, but before this recently-announced delay the game was hyped-up as launching in less than 100 days.

Given that you called the game “complete and playable” in the OP, how can you not know what API(s) REDengine 4 is running on? It might still be too early for system requirements, but you can at least tell us what API(s) to expect, right?

Last edited:
To clarify, I am not saying this to excuse CDPR, rather I am just curious why players have already upgraded their computer while the game is still months away.

In this case I would. Excuse CDPR I mean. It's kind of ridiculous for a person to throw flak at a game dev over a delayed release because they opted to upgrade hardware for a game months away from release without knowing official system requirements. I think the same could be said for planning vacation time around the release or pre-ordering. Throwing so many chips in well before release is a poor decision. So if someone gets punished for it, well, don't blame the game developer.

The ideal play is to wait until the game is on the doorstep before making these type of plans. Or better yet, wait until after it releases. I've tended toward waiting until after for the last, I don't know, 10-15 years. It's worked out fine so far.

I don’t want to sound like a smart-ass or anything, but before this recently-announced delay the game was hyped-up as launching in less than 100 days.

Given that you called the game “complete and playable” in the OP, how can you not know what API REDengine 4 is running on? It might be still early for system requirements, but you can at least tell us what API to expect, right?

This. Wanted to ask exactly same thing.

I have seen this mentioned a few times now, which begs the question: why not wait until a week before launch? I mean, maybe you could have gotten a better deal in April (than now). If the upgrade is solely for CP2077, that would be logical thing to do. To clarify, I am not saying this to excuse CDPR, rather I am just curious why players have already upgraded their computer while the game is still months away.

To me, it’s just the perfect storm between old components that need to be replaced, this build hopefully matching the new console specs, a sale and rumours of hardware prices going to rise because of chip shortages later this year.

CP77 was just the last drop. The 25 percent of the decision making we now like to blame.
I think I can speak for others that some hyperbole is involved.

I’m still arguing with myself wether or not to return my AMD card and wait for ray tracing to arrive on the platform. It’s also going to be tight seeing wether this card can beat consoles.

The 2080 buyers though? There’s no way in hell that the consoles or CP77 are going to need or be more than that card.

We’ve just been a bit over-exited. CDPR gave us tech enthusiasts the excuse we needed to splurge 400+ euros. Definite first world problems.

To me, it’s just the perfect storm between old components that need to be replaced, this build hopefully matching the new console specs, a sale and rumours of hardware prices going to rise because of chip shortages later this year.

CP77 was just the last drop. The 25 percent of the decision making we now like to blame.
I think I can speak for others that some hyperbole is involved.

I’m still arguing with myself wether or not to return my AMD card and wait for ray tracing to arrive on the platform. It’s also going to be tight seeing wether this card can beat consoles.

The 2080 buyers though? There’s no way in hell that the consoles or CP77 are going to need or be more than that card.

We’ve just been a bit over-exited. CDPR gave us tech enthusiasts the excuse we needed to splurge 400+ euros. Definite first world problems.
AMD Cards bad choise for New Games.Many problems with drivers.

They really did, actually. That’s what I wanted to stress in my earlier post!

The Witcher 3 was delayed not once, but twice and when it finally released it was still ridden with numerous glitches, some quest-breaking bugs and lots of performance issues on all platforms.

I now have a strong feeling that, given the sheer ambition of Cyberpunk 2077, its launch performance will very closely mimic that of The Witcher 3.

It took more than two dozen patches to get Witcher 3 to where it is today. I can only imagine how many patches will be applied to Cyberpunk after it finally launches, whenever that might actually happen.

Not to disagree with your point, but sometimes patches can be part of the journey. I played all the Witcher games, and all of them had big issues at launch. An all of them improved greatly through patches and enhanced editions. Remember when in Witcher 1 entering a small house took a minute of loading time? I do, and i still enjoyed the game, even more so when they fixed it. The game grow before my eyes, and I've grown with it. On my second playthrough of The Witcher 3 when i noticed that one of the sidequest could be properly finished after a patch, instead of thinking "finally, it was about time" i thought "that's so cool, what else can i find that was not available before" I felt like most of those patches were substantial, they did not just correct things but improved features. And ultimately Witcher 3 still has bugs to this day, and will continue to do so.
I understand that we, consumers, are expecting a smooth and perfect launch of a product. Yet I'm more than willing to experience the basic "broken" version of a potentially great game, and witnessing where the journey will take me.

The root of the problem is companies greed not the players urge to play games as a means of escapism.

Don’t make a mistake of judging everyone by your own example. Not everyone is like you in any regard. Of all the games you mentioned I’ve played only one - RDR2 and I’m only 25% in since I don’t play after work, so workdays are essentially left out.

In other news despite the long ass delay actual developers would still have to crunch (link). What’s also weird is that passage:

Uh. Shouldn’t it be the other way around i.e. the dev team giving the executive the information whether or not they would make the deadline? In this case the dev team is busting their asses trying to make an irrationally soon release date when the execs state they push it back but hold on, guys, it doesn’t automatically mean you can relax, no, you’ll still have to crunch, overwork and burn out.

And they all know whether they can do it on time - it’s not like they were developing the game for 5 years and suddenly realized it’s a year away from being ready. If that’s the case then it’s a sign of poor planning and bad intercommunication between departments and especially between dev team leads and executives.

My point is that delays are probably here to stay at least for another 10+ year, most likely 20 year. Sadly, theres no data how many game average player owns on Steam for example, but I believe gamers burn games fast.

AMD Cards bad choise for New Games.Many problems with drivers.

True (from the few reports I’ve read), but I’m going AMD on principle and increase its market share. NVIDIA dominating the market is no good and has already lead to the insane price hikes we’ve seen over the years.

I’m going with rebel red.

Not to disagree with your point, but sometimes patches can be part of the journey. I played all the Witcher games, and all of them had big issues at launch. An all of them improved greatly through patches and enhanced editions. Remember when in Witcher 1 entering a small house took a minute of loading time? I do, and i still enjoyed the game, even more so when they fixed it. The game grow before my eyes, and I've grown with it. On my second playthrough of The Witcher 3 when i noticed that one of the sidequest could be properly finished after a patch, instead of thinking "finally, it was about time" i thought "that's so cool, what else can i find that was not available before" I felt like most of those patches were substantial, they did not just correct things but improved features. And ultimately Witcher 3 still has bugs to this day, and will continue to do so.
I understand that we, consumers, are expecting a smooth and perfect launch of a product. Yet I'm more than willing to experience the basic "broken" version of a potentially great game, and witnessing where the journey will take me.

I do appreciate your point, but from a pragmatic point of view everyone purchasing these games at launch are paying full-price for a broken product.

Patches that fix bugs (not add new features) have become a necessary evil in gaming, but I don’t think you would wax nearly as poetically about any other product that you bought in day-to-day life, only to discover that it is broken or of poorer quality than advertised (i.e. downgraded) upon delivery.

The fact that broken releases have become the norm in gaming is because developers are rewarded with money in advance of delivery (i.e. pre-ordering), which makes no sense anyway for digital releases and encourages the “launch now, maybe patch later” trend.

If pre-ordering wasn’t a thing and developers only received money following the actual launch, I think they would place a much greater emphasis on quality control and troubleshooting before their game graced our platforms of choice.

Last edited:
I'm now wondering if multiplayer will launch with the single player campaign. I'd imagine there will be some choice words if the delay was to line up the two...

Given that you called the game “complete and playable” in the OP, how can you not know what API(s) REDengine 4 is running on? It might still be too early for system requirements, but you can at least tell us what API(s) to expect, right?
Yeah lol they say too early like the game was in pre-alpha stages

I have seen this mentioned a few times now, which begs the question: why not wait until a week before launch? I mean, maybe you could have gotten a better deal in April (than now). If the upgrade is solely for CP2077, that would be logical thing to do. To clarify, I am not saying this to excuse CDPR, rather I am just curious why players have already upgraded their computer while the game is still months away.

I suppose it's because GPU companies do give release dates too, and that if you see that C2077 will be released before any new GPU is coming then it's no use to wait, particularly if at one times you have access to a Winter Sales.
Now the RTX 3000 series will begin its release in June and are advertised as 50% faster.

Yes, something definitely doesn’t add up about this delay.

Now there are 8 months left until release and I have read that CDProjekt RED employees will be subjected once more to crunch.

Crunch any employees for that many months and I dread to see what state the game will be in when it finally launches. (n)

Oh for fuck’s sakes. If there was any silver lining to these delays, I had hoped it would mean there’d be a lack of crunch. Just 5 months of relaxed polishing.

So now there’s a five month delay AND crunch? You’re right! Something doesn’t add up. How far behind are they if the need to crunch for 5 months? This is worse than I thought.

CDPR, I’m all over this thread forgiving you and making excuses, but this ain’t cool with me. Take it easy on your employees.

Last edited:
Sorry, at the moment it's too early for us to talk about such technical details.

How about gameplay mechanical details (i.e. how do skills and stats affect gameplay in more exact terms than just surface level infirmation, how do smart guns and minigames work through charactersystems, environmental interactivity, etc)? I mean, since it’s playtesting and polishing phase now, surely you can start drpping out bits of what your intents are in regards of character systems’ function and intensity.

If not, I’ll crawl back to my cave until release or somewhere thereabouts when such info might be around.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom