Important news regarding Cyberpunk 2077 release date

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
CDPR has gotten the feedback. And I’m certain the end combat will work such that people will call it ”great shooter”. Journos and toobers called it that already after the 2018 demo.

Journos and toobers? This is an authority for you? ;] I only hope not the ones whose first questions when Archive - Bullets tones started were "watch dogs?". But seriously, was this a hands on experience based on which they called it "great"? On the other hand, for some people the fact that it will be a bullet sponge makes it automatically not "great".

After pondering this for a while here these are what makes sense to cause the delay and silence.
  • Performance was underwhelming
  • Numerous AI issues
  • Game Stability
  • Numerous miscellaneous game play bugs

Performance was underwhelming - Given the complexities of this game being a large city with tons of AI and no loading screens, it seems likely there were issues in certain areas where the performance didn't hit the targets for consoles. Given the relative market share of consoles this was deemed unacceptable and probably a big task for their optimizations and polishing.

Numerous AI Issues - They are trying to do a LOT with AI in this game and this is also their first time tackling AI in a FPS. It makes sense in combat there are many times the AI does not behave correctly leading to a bad experience. Within the city there probably a lot of examples of AI doing 'dumb' things given the complexity. This could be quite embarrassing.

Game Stability - It seems rather likely that the game is not 100% stable and will crash during certain scenes or areas and this is unacceptable on release. Remember back during the E3 showing there were multiple mentions of the game crashing there as well. It looks like the issues were much deeper than originally thought.

Numerous miscellaneous game play bugs - The good news is the testers and QA teams are doing their jobs, it would just seem that the list of items they found to fix was much larger than anticipated and the closure of the items is going slower than anticipated.

Taking the culminations of those items they probably looked at probability of closure and ROI to releasing on April and deemed it was a bad decision. The items above would lead to negative reviews and press and hurt the sales of the game. So they probably looked at the time need to guarantee the closure on the majority of items and went with that as a replacement, also explains why so long. The game will still release with issues, it's just how it goes. It just depends on the severity of the issues.

I think you are spot on with this. I just hope that these potential issues are addressed when September rolls around

Try titanfall 2 and fallout 4 and you'll notice a huge difference in quality.

If the extra 5 months means they manage FPS quality that's something close to Titanfall 2 or similar game, then that'll be an amazing achievement considering it's a story-driven action-rpg. Well worth the wait if that turns out to be the case, assuming that combat is still being worked on.

However, I'm skeptical that kind of quality can simply be achieved by more time, especially as they've already been working on it for so long. Then again, Doom Eternal got delayed too, even though you'd have thought they had the mechanics done and dusted ages ago due primarily to the excellence of the previous incarnation. Maybe they're just 'polishing'.

Last edited:
If the extra 5 months means they manage FPS quality that's something close to Titanfall 2 or similar game, then that'll be an amazing achievement considering it's a story-driven action-rpg. Well worth the wait if that turns out to be the case, assuming that combat is still being worked on.

However, I'm skeptical that kind of quality can simply be achieved by more time, especially as they've already been working on it for so long. Then again, Doom Eternal got delayed too, even though you'd have thought they had the mechanics done and dusted ages ago due primarily to the excellence of the previous incarnation. Maybe they're just 'polishing'.
I don't think it's possible and was not assuming that. At all. like 99.99999999999% no.

If they get close to borderlands 3 for gunplay I'm happy. Still very difficult, but I haven't played many FPS in my life so I don't have many exemples. I know fallout 4 and the last 2 deus ex are not acceptable, while DOOM, titanfall 2, any cod or battlefield are way too good to be achieved. I mean, they come from studios who have done only FPS for over 20 years.
Borderlands 2 starts to be in the right range (just gunplay, not the bullet sponges) but is a very old game, so I "demand" better. Haven't played Borderlands 3 (since I really hate the concept of looter shooters, I hated borderlands 2 as a matter of fact), but it looks good enough. Maybe metro would be good as well, but I've played the first 2 long time ago. For sure AI was very bad, That I remember.

Same for driving, I don't expect the same quality we got from any recent driving game or GTA (IV had the best driving) for the same reasons, but watch dogs 1 was totally unacceptable. Something in between?

BTW, the deep dive video comes from a 1 year old build, in september it'll be 18 months old. I hope CDPR can deliver serious improvements in 18 months. Full game development usually is 4-5 years for AAA games...

Hey !
I just have one big question !
I was going to build a new gaming computer, particularly to play Cyberpunk with Ultra Settings in 2K. Now that the game release has been delayed I was wondering if there is gonna be a huge difference in specs if it was released in April. Sure we do not know the specs but what I mean is I was pretty confident buying my RTX 2080 Super + AMD Ryzen 3800X when the game was supposed to be released in April. But with 5 more months I don't know ^^

What do you think ?

100% no. Actually what can happen is that they optimize it further so you'll need less performing hardware to achieve the same results, but not the other way round.

Sure they'll have more time to optimize the game but I thought they could have based the hardware requirements on the new GPU and CPU that are going to be released by September 2020 which means with better graphics than there could have been in April.
However I really don't know how they define the requirements: I always thought they say "ok we want the game to work on these GPUs so let's push the graphics till that point and optimize as much as possible ^^

Yep, that makes that promise quite unrealistic. But it doesn't come from me... :shrug:

Indeed. It irks me when they don’t keep their promises then the yes-man’s go-to argument is always the smaller size of the developing team. No one forced you to make the promises and unnecessary comparisons with games developed by teams almost ten times the size.

But CDPR has a habit of overestimating its abilities and biting more than it can chew.
Post automatically merged:

Unrealistic or not, it dose put things into perspective as well as speak volumes about their high standards for the project.

What’s the point of boasting about your high standards on every corner when you can’t comply with them and keep missing the deadline. Something’s gotta give, either your standards or the amount of promises you can’t keep.

W3 is my joint Greatest of all Time and I'd give the combat in that a 7.5-8/10, even though the overall experience itself is a 10/10 from here to eternity :)

It doesn’t take much to please you, does it?

Sure they'll have more time to optimize the game but I thought they could have based the hardware requirements on the new GPU and CPU that are going to be released by September 2020 which means with better graphics than there could have been in April.
However I really don't know how they define the requirements: I always thought they say "ok we want the game to work on these GPUs so let's push the graphics till that point and optimize as much as possible ^^

At this point in time when the game has been in development for 4-5 years already they surely won’t account for newer hardware just because of a 5 month delay. Hell, they won’t even say what API the game will support (DirectX 12, Vulkan) or if the game will be optimized for 6-8- core CPUs. I’m assuming DirectX12 is a given (due to alleged Raytracing support) but wouldn’t be surprised if it was a DirectX 11 game through and through.

In your particular case if you can wait till September then do so - Zen 3 CPUs along with nVidia 3000 series GPUs might be available by that time.

Last edited:
At this point in time when the game has been in development for 4-5 years already they surely won’t account for newer hardware just because of a 5 month delay. Hell, they won’t even say what API the game will support (DirectX 12, Vulkan) or if the game will be optimized for 6-8- core CPUs. I’m assuming DirectX12 is a given (due to alleged Raytracing support) but wouldn’t be surprised if it was a DirectX 11 game through and through.

In your particular case if you can wait till September then do so - Zen 3 CPUs along with nVidia 3000 series GPUs might be available by that time.

Oki !
Yes I can wait a little bit longer before buying my computer since my laptop is good to go and I have access to GeForce now Beta.
If the RTX 30 Series are not that much more expensive than 2080, well that might be a good idea to wait ^^

Oki !
Yes I can wait a little bit longer before buying my computer since my laptop is good to go and I have access to GeForce now Beta.
If the RTX 30 Series are not that much more expensive than 2080, well that might be a good idea to wait ^^

You’ll definitely have more options by September: 1) RTX2000 series should be on sale when the 3000 releases, 2) RTX3000 series should be made on 7nm tech process so the gains would be substantial, 3) big NAVI from AMD could also come out by then and compete with RTX2000 high end GPUs.
As for CPUs I’d definitely wait for Zen 3 but if I were to get it now I’d go for 3700X. However the FPS gains in current games are very minimal even compared with Ryzen 5 3600.

You’ll definitely have more options by September: 1) RTX2000 series should be on sale when the 3000 releases, 2) RTX3000 series should be made on 7nm tech process so the gains would be substantial, 3) big NAVI from AMD could also come out by then and compete with RTX2000 high end GPUs.
As for CPUs I’d definitely wait for Zen 3 but if I were to get it now I’d go for 3700X. However the FPS gains in current games are very minimal even compared with Ryzen 5 3600.

Yeah that's what I heard !!
So I'll wait and see the prices then ;) Thank you very much !

Something’s gotta give, either your standards or the amount of promises you can’t keep.

Except it wasn't really a promise. It was more like a bar they said they are aiming for. How they want the game to be.

If it's going to take longer than originally estimated, that's fine. Personally, I think the wait is worth it.

Except it wasn't really a promise. It was more like a bar they said they are aiming for. How they want the game to be.

If it's going to take longer than originally estimated, that's fine. Personally, I think the wait is worth it.

In the case of The Witcher 3 they were constantly namedropping Skyrim in regards to their game world being X times bigger than that of Skyrim. That time CDPR actually succeeded in making a bloated soulless world with 60% of copy-pasted forests.

I’d rather they sculpt the world by hand instead of using world generating software like SpeedTree.

In the case of RDR2 you can forget about CP2077 world being as detailed as that. It won’t be and it surely is NOT the reason for the delay.

Instead of the game world size I’d rather they invest time and resources in making the world more believable and filled with emergent gameplay as that is to me the most attractive feature in RDR2, I often find those side missions and hunting/fishing more immersive than actual story missions. Until those little side-quests start repeating themselves - that’s when the illusion starts to fall apart at the seams.

If they were to write unique side missions that don’t repeat themselves at all then it would be worth it. But then again every project has an expiration date, when you leave it for too long in the oven it might become overbaked. More time doesn’t always guarantee better end product. Look at original Rage by id Software, or Duke Nukem forever. More time just leads to people’s expectations to blow out of proportion which no current game can meet.

but not after the 2019 demo, that's the thing. 2018 had 3 good weapons, but enemy animations were hidden by all those numbers. If you go frame by frame you can see how bad they were. 2019 improved those animations but showed bad animations for other weapons. I mean, you can see it in the "deep dive", in particular when using the turret or when shooting at sasquatch. It's like shooting a wall.
Anyway, I hope they'll at least try to make people who want good gunplay happy if they don't care of deep role playing. :shrug:
I don't quite understand this bullet sponge critic. Would you prefer bosses like Sasquatch die in 1/2 shots like a random trash npc? Because I've never seen a boss in an rpg get kill in 5 seconds. You've got to add something to make the fight last longer than you can blink

I have no problem with that. I am more into sim elements in games. The more the better :ok:

Understood. But there are different games for that. Of course I may be wrong and there will be a über-realistic difficulty level in CP2077, but considering the fact that it would require reworking the whole game mechanic, I find it very unlikely.

Of course I may be wrong and there will be a über-realistic difficulty level in CP2077

I doubt that too and don't even expect a sim level from this game but bullet sponges is something that could be replaced with something more demanding. But in the end I will play this game no matter of shooting mechanics. This may be an important aspect of the game but for me not the most.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom