Important news regarding Cyberpunk 2077 release date

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just read that Dying Light 2 has been delayed. Thing is, they've said something along the lines of, 'We're not sure when we'll release right now, let you know in coming months'. I have to wonder whether I'd have preferred CDPR to say a similar thing :O

Indeed, it seems 2020 is the year of AAA delays...

Oh well, I will take that as a sign that it is finally time I returned to the Continent to fix the mistakes I made during my first playthrough of TW3 five years ago.

More powerful PC, new mods available - I think I might just enjoy the game even more now than I did the first time. Bring it on, I say! :ok:

CD Projekt Red will deliver game in September 2020 and this will be new level of games no company yet reached. It takes yet now a lot of resources to reach that new level. Lets be patient. All the best

So it's a careful balance and you're never gonna please everyone. I'd love to know how much of the delay is down to 'polishing' and how much involves significant changes to the feel and balance of combat.

I mean, I wouldn't put very much stock into the commentary indicating the game is only getting polish. The sequence of events doesn't tend to be contained in those comments. It stands to reason the release date was set based on the expectation the game would be designed then polished in the time-frame. If something goes wrong in the development or they decide to change part of the game the polish phase would presumably be pushed back.

Plus, CDPR has always been kind of tight lipped about their game design. If a game journalist asks, "What is the reason for the delay?", saying, "The game is done, we just need more time to polish it.", is a generic response to throw out to get the Q and A moving along. Not because they don't know the reason but because they aren't wiling to divulge it. It's kind of like asking, "Are we there yet?", and the other person responding with, "No, we will be there when we get there.".

The other consideration is it wouldn't at all be surprising if the polish phase is a huge component of the design process. Building the game is probably the easy part. Taking all of the individual components, fitting them together, testing them, finding bugs and whatnot is probably the hard part. An extra 5 months, 6 months or whatever to polish a game isn't at all surprising.

Heh, I'm so very easy to please :) All it takes is a game that can break the record for GotY awards to get into my top 3, a top 3 that hadn't changed in 15 years. So yeah, nothing special is needed ;)

So basically a game has to garner several useless trinkets from gaming “journalists” to be considered a great game by you? Got it.
EDIT: Just read that Dying Light 2 has been delayed. Thing is, they've said something along the lines of, 'We're not sure when we'll release right now, let you know in coming months'.

Probably they also want to double dip. It’s very fecking disappointing that two of three games I’m looking forward to the most are probably not releasing in 2020.

Yes. Absolutely. She shouldn’t be any more ”superhuman” than her goons. The difficulty should come from being able to hit her without dying yourself; and from the question whether it is desireable for her to die or not in the first place. Arcade ”boss fights” like Sasquatch or Royce as presented in this game already feel beyond stupid.

If a climatic mission ending is desired, those ”boss fights” should be replaced with more multifaceted ”events” where the so called ”boss” is in a somewhat key position, but not a special character stats-wise nor a required kill.
We've been through the bullet sponge argument several times on the forum, and it just doesn't matter. I completely agree with what you've said, as well as several other folks here. It's my single biggest hesitation about the game. I hate that the word "boss" has become a synonym in video games for character with stupidly bloated statistics. However, CDPR has also made it clear that this is their design choice, and they're not changing it no matter how much we scream. Unless that's what this delay is about. As much as I'd like to believe it, I can't imagine an additional 5 months going very far in reworking the boss design.

So basically a game has to garner several useless trinkets from gaming “journalists” to be considered a great game by you? Got it.

Aw, come now, that's an exaggeration and I think you know it, cheeky ;)

This'll be the last bit I say about this as it's off-topic and, besides, it's all subjective anyway. However, 150+ GotYs plus ludicrous amounts of praise from actual players the world over is hardly 'several useless trinkets' worth of critique :)

People still talk about System Shock and Deus Ex etc, and W3 is going to be one of those games too, along with Dark Souls, The Last of Us, BotW, and BG2 for example; an all-time classic, even if you, personally, didn't get on with the game. Going around saying, 'Dark Souls is one of your top games of all time? Blimey, you're easily pleased', doesn't change that. Getting the praise these games have received isn't easy or else all devs would be doing it.

And no, I don't consider it one of my GoaTs because of what critics said, that would be silly. I generally hold critics in low-esteem to be honest. I based my opinion on the experience the game gave me, simple as that :)
Post automatically merged:

Oh well, I will take that as a sign that it is finally time I returned to the Continent to fix the mistakes I made during my first playthrough of TW3 five years ago.

Snap! I started another W3 playthrough just a couple of weeks ago now I can do 4K and I added a load of mods. It looks, to quote Keanu, breathtaking.

If you do end up playing it again, I hope you have a good time :)

As much as I'd like to believe it, I can't imagine an additional 5 months going very far in reworking the boss design.

Yeah, I wonder how much actual work is still going into the gameplay itself but I read this from the Q&A when they announced the delay.

Still, asked to describe what the trouble was causing the delay, he attributed it to “technical bug-fixing and polishing.” That said, the game is so detailed that “polishing is just a complex task. It’s about the number of things we have to take care of rather than some fundamental problem.”

It's possible 'boss' mechanics and gameplay could be under the 'polishing' umbrella, but I doubt it :s I would have thought combat would be under the 'fundamental' part.

Last edited:
Look better then:

9:08 if timestamp doesn't work: almost a full magazine on her, HP bar doesn't go down a bit and she is just moving like nothing is happening. The exact definition of bullet sponge.

Then V destroys the "magic pump" and she becomes vulnerable.

They hired Combat Designer Summer 2019, if I remember correctly. Yeah, that Deepdive came like couple month later.

Snap! I started another W3 playthrough just a couple of weeks ago now I can do 4K and I added a load of mods. It looks, to quote Keanu, breathtaking.

If you do end up playing it again, I hope you have a good time :)

I would actually greatly appreciate some help on the modding side, since there have been a number of significant changes since I last played TW3 (e.g. Unification Patch being replaced by Community Patch - Base, Nitpicker’s Patch being replaced by The BesserWisser, etc. plus tools like Script Merger, Mod Merger or Mod Limit Fix).

It would be great if a kind soul could point me in the direction of a good guide or learning resource to get me going on the modding Path, since some of those mods look terrific! :cool:

However, CDPR has also made it clear that this is their design choice, and they're not changing it no matter how much we scream.

I’m not sure of the implication behind the choice of words, but yes, they aren’t changing it. Shooting glowing prolapses in order to kill people - as absurd as it sounds - will remain, so it is something that just needs to be coped with by what ever way it’s possible... along with a number of other things.

But I don’t think that’s a reason to be quiet about it (or those other things).

Re: W3.

Heh, I'm so very easy to please :) All it takes is a game that can break the record for GotY awards to get into my top 3, a top 3 that hadn't changed in 15 years. So yeah, nothing special is needed ;)

I really, really hope they avoid this.

Context is important, I agree, though it has its limits. I remember my brother hating the combat in Bioshock so much he stopped playing. One thing he mentioned was enemies that could take multiple shotgun blasts to the face without even flinching.

I explained that they were 'leadheads', so they actually take far less damage to the head. He said, 'Oh, well, that explains why but it doesn't stop it feeling crap'.

So it's a careful balance and you're never gonna please everyone. I'd love to know how much of the delay is down to 'polishing' and how much involves significant changes to the feel and balance of combat.

EDIT: Just read that Dying Light 2 has been delayed. Thing is, they've said something along the lines of, 'We're not sure when we'll release right now, let you know in coming months'. I have to wonder whether I'd have preferred CDPR to say a similar thing :O
CD Projekt Red will deliver game in September 2020 and this will be new level of games no company yet reached. It takes yet now a lot of resources to reach that new level. Lets be patient. All the best
Nothing they've shown has been a new level of gaming and quite frankly, there isn't going to be anything built on current gen hardware across all platforms that's going to be groundbreaking. We'll see major strides in games once developers have a new console standard to adhere to. That is much of their limiting factor, making sure it still plays on the base Xbox one and PS4. Once that lowest common denominator is raised to the next gen level, it will allow them to use more powerful hardware across the board. Cyberpunk 2077 will be a good game, but at this point it won't be anything next level/groundbreaking

No, that'll be GTA 6 when it launches

I’m not sure of the implication behind the choice of words, but yes, they aren’t changing it. Shooting glowing prolapses in order to kill people - as absurd as it sounds - will remain, so it is something that just needs to be coped with by what ever way it’s possible... along with a number of other things.

But I don’t think that’s a reason to be quiet about it (or those other things).
Would be nice if there were a toggle in settings to turn off the glowing spot. Even keeping the hitbox and mechanic there but allowing for the player to think about and find the spot for themselves. In Sasquatches case, finding out about the pump via dialogue or something previous to the fight could be optional and give you that edge right away. For those that didn't go through that dialogue or find that info before the fight, they have to try different tactics to locate her weak point. THAT would make me okay with the magic pump mechanic. If it were something we learned or earned, not a big glowing fucking shoot me sign

Sure, Adrenaline can help you to stay alive or even grant you strength in some extreme cases, but no way in hall he going to keep you alive if 300-600 bullets hit you, kinetic force alone would kill you, let alone tha blood loste and internal organ demage.

So yeah, Sasquatches maybe is little more build up and augmented and use some Adrenaline mix with drugs, but she is not Space Marine from 40k, she would fit Shadowrun universe more than Cyberpunk.
She is bullet sponge no way around it.

Cyberpunk 2077 will be a good game, but at this point it won't be anything next level/groundbreaking

No, that'll be GTA 6 when it launches

I agree with you from a technical point of view. This late in a generation, I doubt CP2077 will redefine gaming graphically speaking, even if it's absolutely gorgeous and Nightcity feels amazing.

However, for many people it can still be 'next level' based on its other components and how they come together; the overall experience. After all, I still have a couple of friends who get on my case telling me that I absolutely must play Undertale, you now?

When it comes to GTA, as amazing as number 6 will probably be from a city-building perspective, if the rest of the game is similar to number 5 then, for me at least, it will ground-breaking in detail only. I struggled to finish that game, had to really force myself. Once I'd seen the world they'd created and messed around for a couple dozen hours, I had a hard time staying interested, but that's just me. I'm not slagging the game off or anything, it was an impressive achievement and obviously well loved.

Shooting glowing prolapses in order to kill people.

Bleurgh! Jesus Kofe, I'm eating dinner here! ;)

The only ground GTA6 will break is graphics, attention to detail and whatnot
gameplay or story-telling/characters?, that's a big ass [X] DOUBT if their last two decade of games are any indication

I agree with you from a technical point of view. This late in a generation, I doubt CP2077 will redefine gaming graphically speaking, even if it's absolutely gorgeous and Nightcity feels amazing.

However, for many people it can still be 'next level' based on its other components and how they come together; the overall experience. After all, I still have a couple of friends who get on my case telling me that I absolutely must play Undertale, you now?

When it comes to GTA, as amazing as number 6 will probably be from a city-building perspective, if the rest of the game is similar to number 5 then, for me at least, it will ground-breaking in detail only. I struggled to finish that game, had to really force myself. Once I'd seen the world they'd created and messed around for a couple dozen hours, I had a hard time staying interested, but that's just me. I'm not slagging the game off or anything, it was an impressive achievement and obviously well loved.

Bleurgh! Jesus Kofe, I'm eating dinner here! ;)
I can only speak on what they've shown us so far. From dialogue, gunplay, upgrades, and many other details, I've yet to see anything I'd consider "new" or possibly groundbreaking. Not that I expect it really but that's just what I have to go off of. Like I said, it'll be a good game.

As far as GTA, I looked at it as a good fun TV show that I got to play out the way the director wanted it. Not much freedom of choice but it was a fun, well directed trip. I've played 5 through at least six times because I enjoyed the characters and story that much. To each their own though!

Seems like the problem is at least partialy console related:
according to Polish insider Borys Niespielak, current generation consoles are actually the main problem for the developers.

Speaking in a podcast, which you can watch below, Niespielak says that the original Xbox One console is not powerful enough to run the game properly and apparently, Cyberpunk 2077 performance on the console is "extremely unsatisfactory".

Borys' sources confirmed that if "this problem with Xbox has not been solved by January 2020, the release date must be postponed."

Seems like the problem is at least partialy console related:
Now my money is on a 2021 next gen exclusive release

Honestly, now I'd rather them delay it to release only on next gen consoles if this is gonna be their excuse. Rather that then spend the time downgrading to make it work okay on the base Xbox one, that time could be spent making sure it works great on Series X and PS5.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom