Important news regarding Cyberpunk 2077 release date

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
As you took Rockstar as an example: You mean that you think that Rockstar PC sales have been badly impacted because they released their games later on Steam?
nope, because a lot of people bought the game on consoles (Ps3/360) and pc later and this worked because
1) high end pc version is the best possible version (and the only one which runs at 60fps)
2) pc version was not announced prior to consoles' release, which led to point 1
3) rockstar is rockstar. GTA V has sold over 110 million copies, it's a specific brand that can't be compared to others.
I mean, other games have been announced on different platforms yet didn't released at the same time.
this happens when:
a) sony, MS, epic pay to get a temporary exclusive
b) it's a small company and can't afford to develop too many versions at the same time, so it releases the game first and with the profits makes the other versions.
Besides, delays hurts reputation just as much.
It doesn't. A delay makes the game inevitably better, while saying "you know what, pc/consoles gamers can have it now, the others need to wait" is just discriminating.
It's the same concept (not to the same extent) of showing the game to people who can go to conventions while people at home can't see it.

Wouldn't this rumor occurred, nobody would've thought about it. And stll, I have my doubts since years ago CDPR claimed they haven't made the same mistake in designing the game they made with TW3 (think the game for high end PC, then consider porting, fail, need to start again).

Are the NPCs in Cyberpunk basically like background scenery in that we have zero interaction

Yes.
Post automatically merged:

But you have to stay either small, or mid-sized to do so. CDPR is far past that point now, and they can't turn back time.

It’s a bit sad too because all it seems to have done, at the end of it all, is it’s shoved CDPR in the same caste with studios like Bethesda and Ubisoft - perhaps even Rockstar to some extent - whose games (Fallout and Farcry FPS’ with vapid perk collections trying to uplift the repetitive and monotone gameplay) are pretty much the same as CDPR’s now seem to be becoming. What’s the real difference that makes CDPR stand out? Farcry is the better FPS, Bethesda has busier worlds (from the players perspective) and Ubi’s closing up on that... Is it just the bit more interesting narrative design on top of the open world simulation that is played as a lazy FPS like the comparisons?

Last edited:
Farcry is the better FPS [...] and Ubi’s closing up on that...
farcry is really bad in terms of FPS even compared to COD, in particular since they started adding levels and bullet sponges.
Ubi is just bad and totally unrespectful towards players, just look at microtransactions and cut content DLCs. And they copy-paste the same mechanics and assets pretty much in every single game they make. Not as bad as EA, but still...
Is it just the bit more interesting narrative design on top of the open world simulation that is played as a lazy FPS like the comparisons?
Pretty much that and the fact they sold a massive single player game with 2 serious expansions (and pure marketing 12 free DLCs) in a period when every big company (apart from sony) was saying "single player is dead, we are making GAAS, microtransactions and shit", and were helped further by the fact that first 2 years of this gen didn't see many excellent games on market (i seriously have problems in naming 5 non disappointing games from 2014 and 2015). Also, a great marketing focus in terms of "we leave greed to others".

Yeah? Cod wasn’t really part of the comparison.

And more broadly, I was talking about the games and how they compare, not how generous a studio is or was to their customers.
I don't know how much you know about far cry new dawn, but look at it and you can see what the series has become.

I think a company's generosity is reflected gameplay-wise. When you play AC odyssey and feel frustrated by the boring grinding you need to go through to go on with the main quest, and then see that in the main menù of the game you can buy "XP booster" to make the game flow better, you understand how good the game is and what was the main idea behind its game design. Also, on PS4 you can start games before their download is complete and do a couple of quests. First thing ubisoft games download is the ubisoft shop.

Or EA's lootboxes.

----------------------------------------------------------

There's a moment here when they announce the delay and devs start celebrating because they have time to fix the game.

Basically, the real question is: If at one point one version of the game is ready (which maybe have, or at least will surely happens at one point because it would be a real strange coincidence that all version are finished at the exact same time), will it have to be delayed because other version aren't?
What's would be the point?

Probably because you would alienate half your fan base to whom you promised the game. If PC players got the game first, it wouldn't be fair to punish all the others who've been waiting the same amount of time. Also people can be dicks with spoilers.

No way they would ever release the game for one platform before others. I'm a PC player and I would not want that. It'd feel scummy, and I'd be getting a lesser product.

I'd much rather they delay it.

I don't know how much you know about far cry new dawn, but look at it and you can see what the series has become.

I think a company's generosity is reflected gameplay-wise. When you play AC odyssey and feel frustrated by the boring grinding you need to go through to go on with the main quest, and then see that in the main menù of the game you can buy "XP booster" to make the game flow better, you understand how good the game is and what was the main idea behind its game design. Also, on PS4 you can start games before their download is complete and do a couple of quests. First thing ubisoft games download is the ubisoft shop.

Or EA's lootboxes.

----------------------------------------------------------

There's a moment here when they announce the delay and devs start celebrating because they have time to fix the game.
Far Cry New Dawn was a spin off from the main series and wasn't priced as a full game. I wouldn't call that "what the series has become". Didn't even know about the Odyssey xp booster lol these kinds of games all have their place in the market.

Speaking of which, the newest COD campaign was fucking awesome.

Cory Barlog hit the nail on the head. Of course we're optimizing for the XBox One, and for the Playstation, and for the PC, because that's what you do in the last stretches of game development. While the game is made, lots of things are unoptimized, because they're all in flux, changing, and still not finished.
So simple answers like "They delayed the game because of X" might make for a good rumor, but don't hold a lot of truth. There's always many reasons. Among them, and I can speak for myself, simply fixing bugs, so the game is as polished as possible. No hidden agendas, just working on making the game better. :)

Cory Barlog hit the nail on the head. Of course we're optimizing for the XBox One, and for the Playstation, and for the PC, because that's what you do in the last stretches of game development. While the game is made, lots of things are unoptimized, because they're all in flux, changing, and still not finished.
So simple answers like "They delayed the game because of X" might make for a good rumor, but don't hold a lot of truth. There's always many reasons. Among them, and I can speak for myself, simply fixing bugs, so the game is as polished as possible. No hidden agendas, just working on making the game better. :)

Yeah, I get that - and I'm pretty sure few people thinks otherwise. However, I am worried that we'll see a pretty huge downgrade, akin to TW3 - when comparing 2013 and 2014 demo to the end product - where the we'll end up seeing a 'yuuuge' loss of graphical fidelity, because of the lower specs of old consoles.

What's worse, I'm worried that you won't be able to differentiate between the old consoles, and new consoles/PC, as PS4/Xbone owners will take on their sadface, if you don't make sure there's some parity. This way, new consoles, and PC, suffer greatly, with low quality textures, lightning, detail, FoV, etc etc - Compared to what they could have been - to retain similar appearance to PS/Xbone, where even if there's graphical settings to jack up, it will still have been limited a good bit compared to what "could have been". ;)

Is it at all possible, that CDPR will maybe make "two" versions of the game, for PS4/Xbone, that's optimized for old hardware, and a new console/PC version that's instead optimized for that extra power - ie. a higher baseline, if you will - new systems can bring?

Last edited:
Yeah, I get that - and I'm pretty sure few people thinks otherwise. However, I am worried that we'll see a pretty huge downgrade, akin to TW3 - when comparing 2013 and 2014 demo to the end product - where the we'll end up seeing a 'yuuuge' loss of graphical fidelity, because of the lower specs of old consoles.

What's worse, I'm worried that you won't be able to differentiate between the old consoles, and new consoles/PC, as PS4/Xbone owners will take on their sadface, if you don't make sure there's some parity. This way, new consoles, and PC, suffer greatly, with low quality textures, lightning, detail, FoV, etc etc - Compared to what they could have been - to retain similar appearance to PS/Xbone, where even if there's graphical settings to jack up, it will still have been limited a good bit compared to what "could have been". ;)

Is it at all possible, that CDPR will maybe make "two" version of the game, for PS4/Xbone, that's optimized for old hardware, and a new console/PC version that's instead optimized for that extra power new systems can bring?

1.) We are not going to walk the "downgrade" path again. If the talk goes that way, the posts will be edited or removed.

The why of that is very simple. It's impossible to know exactly what the final balance of a game's engine will look like. And game engines handle a lot more than "graphics". This is why graphics are often among the last things to be finalized in a game. It's passingly common for certain bells and whistles to be removed toward the end because they're simply adding way too much of a performance hit, or causing issues elsewhere in the engine. It's also common for bells and whistles to be added because there's enough overhead in the end. Sometimes, it's just an aesthetic choice.

Either way, as has been stated for literally years now:

Everything is subject to change. (<--- This means exactly what this says.)

I also think releasing right when the new consoles come out is problematic for CDPR. Now they have to port for two console systems in quick succession, and then try and compete with next gen games shortly after release. I recall the lead dev for Dragon Age: Inquisition saying that making a cross gen title held the game back due to spreading resources in the studio. One thing is certain: this game is probably an order of magnitude more resource heavy than TW3 was.

Last edited:
Thanks for clarifying, buddy.

1.) We are not going to walk the "downgrade" path again. If the talk goes that way, the posts will be edited or removed.

The why of that is very simple. It's impossible to know exactly what the final balance of a game's engine will look like. And game engines handle a lot more than "graphics". This is why graphics are often among the last things to be finalized in a game. It's passingly common for certain bells and whistles to be removed toward the end because they're simply adding way too much of a performance hit, or causing issues elsewhere in the engine. It's also common for bells and whistles to be added because there's enough overhead in the end. Sometimes, it's just an aesthetic choice.

Either way, as has been stated for literally years now:

Everything is subject to change. (<--- This means exactly what this says.)

Sure, but as I said, the target specs usually set the end framework, and any changes beyond that, usually incur larger performance hits for better graphics, in that framework.

Now, if the product was targeted higher powered systems, like the new consoles, there would be wholly new possibilities opening up for the engine, in terms of grapfical fidelity. However, that would most likely leave low end systems, such as the PS4/Xbone, with really fugly output, instead of the acceptable output it would have were they the target. ;)

I think my post was fair, as I'm wondering how CDPR is going about it, and if it's possible to do "both". Where they will be just about the same game, playwise, across systems, but not nearly as much appearance-wise?

Last edited:
I also think releasing right when the new consoles come out is problematic for CDPR. Now they have to port for two console systems in quick succession, and then try and compete with next gen games shortly after release. I recall the lead dev for Dragon Age: Inquisition saying that making a cross gen title held the game back due to spreading resources in the studio. One thing is certain: this game is probably an order of magnitude more resource heavy than TW3 was.

Cyberpunk should be unique enough to stand out from the crowd, so they dont need to compete with other games. Not to mention this is Cyberpunk's debut should sales should be given. Old series with tons of sequels are in risk of losing competition imho, because players have already seen them.

Looking at QLOC's history with games, I think this addition takes a lot of pressure off the core team in the final stages here. Looking like a win - win really.

Hopefully the collaboration lets the game run on all cylinders. Can't wait

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom