IMPORTANT PRODUCTION UPDATE

+
And your source for this is?
Edit: Also the note directly mentions PC
I don't know for certain that they've said so (maybe they have), but I've been assuming that the PC will benefit significantly from whatever it is that they're calling next gen. We know that things were scaled back to get the game working on prior gen consoles. At a minimum, that will probably be restored. Hopefully a lot of other things that were hinted at somewhere along the line will find their way in as well, without having to restrict the build to prior gen console capability.

So, as a PC user, I'm pretty optimistic about what might be in the next gen version. But I'm happy for CDPR to cook it for as long as it needs, rather than release it early.

I'll take Mafia over either of those. Lost Heaven is not especially suitable for messing around, it's not interactive as cities in GTA and SR and this is not due to Illusion Softworks wasting entire budget on fancy graphics. Mafia simply doesn't aim to be open world sandbox. Just like Cyberpunk, just like TW3 before it.

Then why waste resources making an open world. Witcher 2 was perfectly fine as it was. If you want to make a focused narrative experience, you don't need an open world.

Lol. Next gen version will have little impact on the pc version; we got what we're gonna get period. They're still thinking with their wallets because now they want to delay it to not repeat the dreadful console release. It'll be the same game, maybe a new clothing item or two but nothing drastic. What's done is done. Enjoy it for what it is and at least hope the pc version gets a competent tool kit.

It’s kind of a sad affair that this sort of thing - a ”next gen upgrade” and the hoo-ha around it - actually needs to be a thing in a world where graphics already are as good as they are.

Graphics are only as good as they are until the next game surpasses it. I look back at some games from a few years ago that now look completely outdated. It's often the "back in my day.." "boomers" who reinforce the idea that "games have a hit a peak" or "It can't look any better!". That's until you see the new Unreal Engine demo.

Cyberpunk's graphics already make Night City and the characters you meet so much more believable. The next-gen version will (hopefully) take that a few steps further. Most people will probably see it as "the game we were promised" though. And it might just look like it *did on release on PC.

Guest 3847602

Then why waste resources making an open world.
So you could place a lot of sidequests in the gameworld, to be able to do them in whatever order you want, to not have loading screens, for the game to give you illusion of being a mercenary in a futuristic city, etc...
Witcher 2 was perfectly fine as it was.
So was The Witcher 3. It had the same structure as Cyberpunk 2077 (main quest + side quests + points of interest + nothing else).
If you want to make a focused narrative experience, you don't need an open world.
You don't need an open world for a story-focused game, true. But the open world doesn't have to be sandbox. There are plenty of games where ow is a theme park, Cyberpunk isn't the first such game and it won't be the last.

even on PC CP2077 has almost nothing "nex gen" visually speaking: just the RT, pleasant ok, but that's it, as for the rest the lod is something obscene, the textures are low res and cars made with 4 polygons (very squared), the water is rendered and animated as in games of 10 years ago and I could continue...
Nothing is "next gen" in any game. The label is just to identify new consoles, that's why it's surprising that they are including PC in the patch. On the other hand, I don't understand why they downgraded the PC version with time. IMHO it's just marketing talk not to make PC users unhappy, but we'll see.
Post automatically merged:

It’s kind of a sad affair that this sort of thing - a ”next gen upgrade” and the hoo-ha around it - actually needs to be a thing in a world where graphics already are as good as they are.
Can't talk about PC, but the actual situation on PlayStation is dramatic and not only for graphics.

Last edited:
I brought this game on release, I have a good PC, I enjoyed it immensely, I have played through 6 times and it will always be one of my favourite games. I have rarely played a game that has grabbed my emotions they way this one did and I will always remember "V". However there has been nothing really new since day one and it seems unlikely there will be for the foreseeable future. Perhaps time to move on.

So you could place a lot of sidequests in the gameworld, to be able to do them in whatever order you want, to not have loading screens, for the game to give you illusion of being a mercenary in a futuristic city, etc...

So was The Witcher 3. It had the same structure as Cyberpunk 2077 (main quest + side quests + points of interest + nothing else).

You don't need an open world for a story-focused game, true. But the open world doesn't have to be sandbox. There are plenty of games where ow is a theme park, Cyberpunk isn't the first such game and it won't be the last.

All fair points.

I personally think an open world with no sandbox stuff is kinda pointless, like a sandbox with no sand in it, but I see where CDPR is coming from.

So, they are delaying again the next-gen patch (initially promised for last summer) until next Q1. With no further delays (I don't have a lot of trust), it will have to compete with other open world heavy hitters like Stalker.
I think it's time to forget about replaying CP2077 and all the broken promises.

I'm a little disappointed by the delay, but only because it doesn't suit my seasonal work cycle; I'll be busy again in March so I probably won't get round to playing it again till next October. This is the internet after all so I should probably have some hyperbolic self absorbed reaction "CDPR ruined my life because" but actually I'll just play something else in the mean time.
So have at it CDPR take all the time you need, you release it when it's ready, and I'll play it when I'm ready. :)

Last edited:
Graphics are only as good as they are until the next game surpasses it. I look back at some games from a few years ago that now look completely outdated. It's often the "back in my day.." "boomers" who reinforce the idea that "games have a hit a peak" or "It can't look any better!". That's until you see the new Unreal Engine demo.

Cyberpunk's graphics already make Night City and the characters you meet so much more believable. The next-gen version will (hopefully) take that a few steps further. Most people will probably see it as "the game we were promised" though. And it might just look like it *did on release on PC.
Very true but CP 2077 has certain benefits over many other titles. Writing, animating body language and voice acting match in a way I haven't experienced yet. While graphics will get dated like with every product, Mitch will always smile with his eyes too, Elizabeth Peralez voicing "Read between the lines" will always reflect how these NPC's aren't just any NPC with different skin, but way they think, how they express them self tells way much more. There are major and minor NPC's where all this is combined with real life psychology. I didn't knew about Kazimier Dabrowski before I played this game. How game covers philosophical themes will stand too.

Graphics then, next generation upgrade will work because art-direction in game we have is great and art-direction is that keeps this game from getting dated for a good while for those who are on Xbox One / PS4. I'm one Xbox One X and I hope CDPR would think of us too at the same time they figure out what to do with the new Xbox S but regardless, I'm happy. For me they overcame what I considered impossible on this generation hardware.
I brought this game on release, I have a good PC, I enjoyed it immensely, I have played through 6 times and it will always be one of my favourite games. I have rarely played a game that has grabbed my emotions they way this one did and I will always remember "V". However there has been nothing really new since day one and it seems unlikely there will be for the foreseeable future. Perhaps time to move on.
There's going to be story expansion too, that is separate to next-generation upgrade. There's no date for story expansion yet, other than that is coming.

That is where the PC holds a huge edge over consoles ..... My builds of Skyrim look about as good as anything made in 2020 and so does Witcher 3 because I'm to have 4K textures everywhere and in the case of Skyrim high poly heads and other objects. Going from my latest build of Skyrim to AC Valhalla was a huge downgrade in character models and armor sets and weapons. My main character models in Skyrim look better than the ones in Cyberpunk. In fact I'm using 4k versions of some of the clothing assets from Witcher 3 in Skyrim thanks to the generosity of CDPR. I really don't find any of the male or female characters in Cyberpunk or AC Valhalla all that attractive compared to what I have in Skyrim. The character models I use for Yen and Ciri and Triss and several others in Witcher 3 look better than any of the character models in Cyberpunk

All I'm really hoping for in the upgrade version of Witcher 3 is better LODs, lighting and weathers and anti-aliasing and I'm betting we'll get that judging by how long it's taking because upscaling textures doesn't really take all that long compared to the afore mentioned things and from what I understand the modder Halk Hogan is already providing the lion's share of the enhanced textures which was a smart move by CDPR .... No sense re-inventing the wheel

Last edited:
That is where the PC holds a huge edge over consoles ..... My builds of Skyrim look about as good as anything made in 2020 and so does Witcher 3 because I'm to have 4K textures everywhere and in the case of Skyrim high poly heads and other objects. Going from my latest build of Skyrim to AC Valhalla was a huge downgrade in character models and armor sets and weapons. My main character models in Skyrim look better than the ones in Cyberpunk. In fact I'm using 4k versions of some of the clothing assets from Witcher 3 in Skyrim thanks to the generosity of CDPR. I really don't find any of the male or female characters in Cyberpunk or AC Valhalla all that attractive compared to what I have in Skyrim. The character models I use for Yen and Ciri and Triss and several others in Witcher 3 look better than any of the character models in Cyberpunk

Characters in CP2077 look like they are made of plastic yet characters are the biggest resource drain by far.

Top Bottom