Important update about Cyberpunk 2077 release date

+
Congratulations, this action has caused your trust level to fall to zero, you are by your own words more excited to have members of the press play your game than your fans who have been patiently waiting for years. Your bait and switch has now dropped you to the level of EA and Bethesda. Congrats on joining a long list of Publishers who are now interested ONLY in the cash grab of new shiny console hype.

If your game is done, grow some balls and release if to your fans who are quite honestly more than sick of waiting
Post automatically merged:

Excitement has been replaced by empty waiting and broken promises
Glad i'm not the only one who feels this way.

Well what do you know. One internal release date change from 2019 to April 2020, then public change to September 17 of 2020 and now for the THIRD time they reschedule it to November 19th. The higher-ups in CDPR really have no clue what they are doing, do they? Especially what planning means. The Glassdoor reviews detailing poor leadership prove true once again. All of the already waning hype just went down the drain.

Mods are of course in full defensive mode right now. The joke about the game coming out in 2077 when we're all dead and gone makes more and more sense with each new postponement.

So now supposedly they'll show some gameplay footage which as we've been conditioned by CDPR themselves does not represent the final state of the game. I mean last time they rescheduled the game it was for supposed further polish. Now they once again cite more polish as the reason for release date change. How much polish do you need?! You got 800 employees and you can't polish the dame game that's been in active development since 2016? Smells like crappy leadeship to me. I bet two more months are needed to make the game start on incapable toasters that are original PS4 and Xbox One. Who'd want to lose a sizeable chunk of the profits were they to limit the game to next gen consoles and PCs? Certainly not the board of the directors that only care about their bottom line.

To all anxiously waiting for the game I'd advise to lower your expectations to an all time bottom because which so much jerking around and moving the goalposts the game should be near damn perfect to justify 3 postponements. And it WON'T be because no game can be perfect. Letting the development drag on for so long never amounts to a great game, just think of any game that's been in development 5+ years. The devs lose focus of what's important and by the time the game comes out it is already obsolete be it either by technical standards or gameplay elements that turn out to be archaic.

Also claims that all gameplay systems, all quests are finished really don't mean anything to me, just another carrot they'll be dangling in front of us until the game comes out. And now they'll wait what the game jornalists have to say about the game, not the audience that'll be playing it, but game journos pushing their stupid agendas where they don't belong. Kudos!

I bet all apologists will continue claiming that they'll wait for the game till pigs fly. Well not all of us have that high patience pool.

CDPR should add "always biting more then we can chew" as their corporate slogan.

P.S. What new merch should we expect to release in the meantime bearing the "Cyberpunk 2077" insignia? I bet something is coming 'cause we didn't have more than enough of that shit.

View attachment 11046728

As a developer I can tell you that marketing is what sets the release dates not the developers most of the time if a big bug is found it could delay a project for months but marketing chooses the release dates and most of the time marketing people don't understand how much time is needed also there were other big problems this year, covid made whole countries freeze and you expect a GAME studio to NOT have problems in this situation. I'm surprised that it's not delayed until 2021 but of course that could happen the future is never certain.

Personally I don't care about the delay, do I wanna play it YES and do I want a good and polished game also YES.

Hope they postpone release date because of polishing, etc, not because some journalist had seen some "sensitive" content and they now removing it.

I did find it a bit odd that just below a delay announcement they mention some other folks will get to experience the game first hand. Maybe leave that for a bit later.

And I understand some people's frustration, I was there too, with Witcher 3 (maybe it had more to do with my obsessive fandom more than anything else, that's when the sense of ownership tends to kick in, but that's besides the point). But at the end of the day we have no control over something that is not actually ours.

Sure, CDPR promised not to repeat past mistakes, but imagine trying to manage a project like this in the middle of a pandemic. Not even the most pessimistic of people could have foreseen this.

Personally, a couple of months here or there does not concern me in the slightest.

Last edited:

I have no faith in the Nov release date at this point. Just get it over with and say 1st or 2nd quarter 2021 so we won't be disappointed again. Unless you move that date again till 3rd or 4th quarter 2021. Why just make it 2022 to keep your motif going.

Edit: Please tell me this not being delayed for Stadia or xBox.

As a developer I can tell you that marketing is what sets the release dates not the developers most of the time if a big bug is found it could delay a project for months but marketing chooses the release dates and most of the time marketing people don't understand how much time is needed

1) I'd be at the forefront among the crowd that's against crunch and overworking the employees. However we don't have the full picture on how employees are treated in CDPR. If Glassdoor reviews are any indication then it's not a pretty picture despite what PR folks would like you to believe.

2) Marketing team (and PR team is a part of marketing I guess) does NOT exist in a vacuum. Their decisions are most certainly dictated by the brass, the board of directors, those who gain the most from selling a product. And something tells me if they need to catch more fish then they would cast the widest net possible figuratively speaking. If that means delaying the product's launch date further ensuring more sales (via current gen consoles) then they will do exactly that.

But that third delay to me just proves that team leads, department leads and maybe the head of the studio are completely inept at
planning and managing development time. Keeping the public's attention on the product for so long and yet jerking it away every time it comes to fruition seems like some sort of sick game in and of itself. If you're bad at planning, then don't announce the release dates, hunker down, make sure it's good to go and only then announce it. With the current situation I for one (and judging from the reaction I'm not alone in this) feel like that proverbial frog that's being cooked on a slow fire.

Regardless of all the hate I'm sure you're getting on multiple platforms, I don't think it's entirely representative of the community at large. Yes, people are disappointed, but predominantly I think they'll recognize that if it means a better game at the end of the day, it'll be worth the wait.
Personally, you're one of the few companies in the industry that I still trust and respect. You've consistently delivered amazing games with excellent story-telling, and I'm sure Cyberpunk will be no exception. Looking forward to seeing it on next gen!
Stay safe and healthy!

Forum veteran
Magically karmic: All of those scalpers who gobbled up the custom Cyberpunk 2077 Xbox One X to resell at a huge markup will be left playing an inferior version on day-1 (or close to it) if the rumored November release date for the new consoles ends up being accurate. There's no fire hot enough to burn justice into the faces of those monsters, so every sliver is manna.

Besides, we've been waiting since what, 2013? Early 2013? I think it was January, even. We spent years obsessing over single screens of concept art. We built up the legend of Swag Jacket Guy and watched him die. We analyzed the lyrics of the teaser's background track that wasn't even written for the game in an attempt to piece together clues. You can't hurt us more than we've hurt ourselves.

Five months is comical. Many of us have already waited on an entirely different timescale. Being on board the Cyberpunk 2077 train from the beginning has taught me the patience of a ninja master or indecisive tortoise. I laugh in the face of your delay.

I learned the news WHILE I was mounting my new pc for this game. Disappointed.
I think of canceling my pre-order on Gog (childish behavior, I know).

Congratulations, this action has caused your trust level to fall to zero, you are by your own words more excited to have members of the press play your game than your fans who have been patiently waiting for years. Your bait and switch has now dropped you to the level of EA and Bethesda. Congrats on joining a long list of Publishers who are now interested ONLY in the cash grab of new shiny console hype.

If your game is done, grow some balls and release if to your fans who are quite honestly more than sick of waiting
Post automatically merged: Today at 5:40 AM
Excitement has been replaced by empty waiting and broken promises

Really? The game was delayed by seven months followed by an additional two months. Clearly they did not feel it was ready. The second delay could easily be blamed on the chaos surrounding the bat cold. The sky isn't falling, the world will not explode and the sun still isn't going to go red giant mode for another 4-5 billion years. The entire talk of trust levels, betrayals and despicable behavior over a video game delay is ridiculous.

If they didn't delay it and released it in a more buggy state people would probably question why it wasn't delayed. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

God I hate this quote. Nowadays games can be vastly improved after release through updates (e.g. No Man's Sky) and he said this quote during a time when it wasn't possible to update games as frequently as we can today.

Frankly, if I were CDPR, I'd release the game in September and then iron out bugs in future updates. But that's just me.

Oh Hell Nawww!

All of this has disappointed and made you more cynical right?
Well then it won’t be hard for you to imagine a gaming industry where the slippery slope you just handed them, causes them to release unfinished games upon release and worse - since they already have your money - they’ll never even bother to finish their games and move on to the next one, leaving you with a broken product.

Don’t even have to imagine really hard with Anthem, Mass Effect Andromeda, Star Citizen and Colonial Marines being out there - and that’s just the four I can name. It’s already a thing. Release by mandate, fix later - maybe.

“Yeah, well CDPR would never stoop to THAT level.”

Yes, and that’s why they’re delaying.

I don’t really think you’re aware of the kind of dystopian future you’re willing to allow game publishers to pull off, just because you want your video game early.

[...]

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, as sad as the delay makes me, I would rather wait a couple of months extra than be frustrated and not being able to play due to Bugs.

Keep up the good work.

I certainly haven't taken the time to read every comment; but skimming over them I see the general disappointment of another push back in release dates. I, like many, many others, have watched with baited breath for the final release of this title. Having played well made titles like The Witcher3, and other not so well made titles I won't mention here; I am happily prolonging the anticipation of Cyperpunk 2077 so that I may enjoy the immersion it promises; to the chronic interruptions that buggy performance brings. Am I jumping for joy? By no means. I respect the strength of integrity it takes to tell a fan base that it must wait because the product needs a little more TLC before it is released. For all the disappoint I read here, to include my own, I know of the crucifixion CDPROJEKTRED will receive if Cyberpunk 2077 is full of bugs. Some have spoken of getting refunds on their pre-orders, that's their right; but is it right to condemn them for trying to do right by we gamers? You decide. I pre-ordered soon after it was available; and I will wait for it's release; whether it's November 19th, or January 19th 2021. We all have choices to make; and I've made mine. Happy gaming all.

Is it because you, in comparison to other developers, you have refused to cut content in the game? To be 'more than it seems', because you're wasting less time by having everything from the beginning?

There's a saying in my country, "Back and forth takes double the time". You chose to act smart, and walk once.
Post automatically merged:

I think about canceling my pre-order of the collectors edition.
By the time the game releases I expect to have a PS5 or are waiting for it to arrive soon and sold my PS4 so I won't be able to play it. It is heartbreaking, disappointing, unprofessional and very bad planning. I probably will pick it up on PS5 in the future if I'm still interested but this is just sad.
It's also confusing press will be allowed to play it, I'm worried about leaks, man this sucks.

Yeah, I think PS5 is backward-compatible, and you can play PS4-games on your new console. Besides, when they release the game in November, you'll get the update of the game I think. As long as you have the receipt, I think they'll be more than happy to let you have the best version for your platform. We're not talk about EA.

Last edited:
Welp! I am disappointed to hear of the delay, but no point getting all upset, that would change nothing.
But I do hope it is the last delay though...

Damn it, should have known that CyberMagicEightBall™ prediction about the September release date was a scam...

All well...what can we do but wait a bit longer? :shrug:

[...]
- plenty of spoilers about story BUT "CDPR is not showing anything because they don't want to spoil things" (already happened, and will happen again on thursday).
[...]

1) Which spoilers are you referring to, when you say 'already happened'?

2) Out of curiosity, what sort of spoilers do you think will be shown during Night City Wire?

Top Bottom