Important update about Cyberpunk 2077 release date

+
Welp, This game is never coming out. Feels like someone important got fired for something serious.

Hope I'm wrong but my gut is undefeated.

First, CDPR began developing CP2077 after they finished with Witcher 3. They were upfront about that to the public, no drama could have been extracted from that. [edit]: Going through the timeline, the earliest recruitment drives by CDPR that mention Cyberpunk 2077 that I could find, begin June last year. Months after the release of Blood and Wine.
CDPR went headhunting for Cyberpunk two times, first in 2013 and then after Witcher 3. I mentioned that CP2077 was shelved in order to finish Witcher 3 and every hired for CP2077 developer had to be moved to Witcher 3, it's not a kept secret.
Not to mention that organizers were setting up protests in Europe in early June.
Early june was a bit later than June 2nd.
Third, an open world map is really just a very, very big hubmap anyways.
There is a difference, though. In open world usually mission maps are part of this open world and are not something you'd see in Deus Ex 1 but something smaller like missions from Deus Ex: Invisible War, everything is cramped together in an open world.
And no, XBOne is not a limiting factor there. Wild Hunt released on XBOne, which means that the devs know the limits of that system already.
That's not what I said and this sentence is irrelevant.
Fourth, the game being unfinished. This is pure assertion from a standpoint of zero knowledge.
It's an assumption that I made based on strange behavior from CDPR.

To be frank this strange behaviour is not something that is new. It started with the controvercy when they switched the game from RPG to story-action adventure in social networks meanwhile claiming the game is a RPG first and Foremost.

If you add to that this press and influencer pandering and focus more your marketing on celebrities than to show your actual game when people are asking for more gameplay fotage for months it does not create a pretty picture.

I mean the game will be good we all know it but this pandering to press and influencer instead to show the game to the ones that are truly interested on it creates a toxic envirovment.

Don't take this wrongly as i intended to write this as costructive criticism. Boldness is alright but when boldness makes you blind that is a problem.

"At the time we are writing these words, Cyberpunk 2077 is finished both content and gameplay-wise. The quests, the cutscenes, the skills and items; all the adventures Night City has to offer - it's all there."

If that's the case, and you are giving journalists a chance to review the working game, why not at least give us PC players the hardware specs so we can FINALLY know if we need to upgrade anything since we now have an extra 2 months to do so. That's the main reason I haven't pre-purchased the game yet because there's no point if I can't even run it.

To be frank this strange behaviour is not something that is new. It started with the controvercy when they switched the game from RPG to story-action adventure in social networks meanwhile claiming the game is a RPG first and Foremost.
Holy crap, they still haven't change it back.

CDPR went headhunting for Cyberpunk two times, first in 2013 and then after Witcher 3. I mentioned that CP2077 was shelved in order to finish Witcher 3 and every hired for CP2077 developer had to be moved to Witcher 3, it's not a kept secret.

Of which there is no paper trail. And indeed around that time CDPR also made the public statement of their internal schedule, of finishing Wild Hunt first.

Early june was a bit later than June 2nd.

First associated protests in Europe were on June 1st. Protests don't just happen spontaneously, but need to be organized. People need to know where and when to show up. It is highly likely that some of CDPRs staff would have been aware of the situation, being the type of person likely to attend such an event.

They would have then brought the idea to the attention of the company writ large.

There is a difference, though. In open world usually mission maps are part of this open world and are not something you'd see in Deus Ex 1 but something smaller like missions from Deus Ex: Invisible War, everything is cramped together in an open world.

Or, what is more likely, is that the world composition is most similar to CDPRs earlier work, with the Witchers. In this case being a iteration upon Wild Hunt.

It's an assumption that I made based on strange behavior from CDPR.

Keyword; "Assumption." Based on no evidence and not even a solid theory of the events.

How in the hell is that even a controversy? You do know that immersive sims are a sub-genre of action-adventure, right?

Witcher 3 open world is half empty and cities are not big and have less NPC so this gen console can handle that, but if CP2077 is one big city with billion of NPC it is possible that this gen console can't handle that wherey well.

How in the hell is that even a controversy? You do know that immersive sims are a sub-genre of action-adventure, right?
Is Cyberpunk 2077 an immersive sim? I don't really think so. It does not seem to rely on systemic gameplay, really, nor has any of the qualities I'd say define a game as an "immersive sim". Furthermore, if I remember correctly (and do tell me so if I'm wrong), a dev said that the game has "immersive sim elements" but is not an immersive sim.

Witcher 3 open world is half empty and cities are not big and have less NPC so this gen console can handle that, but if CP2077 is one big city with billion of NPC it is possible that this gen console can't handle that wherey well.

I'm sorry, but that's just magical thinking.

Current gen consoles already have minecraft on them. So they are provably cabable to handle the algorithmic streaming of large datasets into and out of memory. Furthermore they also have Assasin's Creed games on them, which are known for large crowds.

What you can infer from that, is that the current gen consoles are cabable of handling the necessary processing.

Is Cyberpunk 2077 an immersive sim? I don't really think so.

The point I was getting at, was that like you noted, 2077 has some immersive sim elements. Which is why it's not that controversial that it could be called a story-action-adventure game, while simultaneously being called a RPG. The action-adventure title is there to point to the immersive sim qualities that the game has.

Left with the first delay, and now I return with the second one. Seems like I was right to expect a second delay. Lets try to figure out what's what this Thursday, and when the 91 day mark comes again... we'll see.

Of which there is no paper trail.
Except that 2013 teaser that was essentially a proposition to work on this new title
And indeed around that time CDPR also made the public statement of their internal schedule, of finishing Wild Hunt first.
I.E. shelved Cyberpunk until better times, das rite.
First associated protests in Europe were on June 1st. Protests don't just happen spontaneously, but need to be organized. People need to know where and when to show up. It is highly likely that some of CDPRs staff would have been aware of the situation, being the type of person likely to attend such an event.

They would have then brought the idea to the attention of the company writ large.
Delaying for two weeks is an overreaction if I ever saw one if it's purely because of protests, not even Sony delayed for two weeks, only 1 week. But just enough to develop the game some more. Barely.
Or, what is more likely, is that the world composition is most similar to CDPRs earlier work, with the Witchers. In this case being a iteration upon Wild Hunt.
You know if you play immersive sims how contradicting these statements are, don't you?
Keyword; "Assumption." Based on no evidence and not even a solid theory of the events.
The entire witcher 3 development history and what @Mebrilia pointed out is no evidence. Ok, now you just trolling.

If you mean Origins and Odyssey both games are set in older time with maps big and empty, and Night City probably have more population then all of Origins and Odyssey.

No, I quite literally mean the older ones, with large crowds. Which in turn demonstrates the XBOnes ability to simulate such crowds.

Or if you want a more contemporary example, how about Hitman 2 on the XBOne?

Look, you don't seem to understand how game engines work. 2077 won't load the whole of Night City into the operating memory. Just the bits you are near and then it won't draw the bits that you can't see.

Except that 2013 teaser that was essentially a proposition to work on this new title

So? That's still a far cry from being hired to work on one project and then pushed into an another project.

I.E. shelved Cyberpunk until better times, das rite.

Shelving implies a change of schedule. No evidence of such.

Delaying for two weeks is an overreaction if I ever saw one if it's purely because of protests, not even Sony delayed for two weeks, only 1 week. But just enough to develop the game some more. Barely.

Pushing the date by a week would have put NCW on the 18th, which is a few days from the solstice, commonly celebrated as Saint John's Eve by Catholics, Anglicans and Lutherans in Europe. Well, originally, nowdays it has gone secular and is a popular holiday. Especially in Central and Northern Europe. In places like Poland.

Effectively pushing the date by a week, ment pushing it into a holiday week. When it was likely that many employees had scheduled their summer breaks. Doubly so since the quarantines across Europe were beginning to be lifted.

You know if you play immersive sims how contradicting these statements are, don't you?

The original Deus Ex was a rpg-immersive sim hybrid, so no. Nothing contradictory here.

The entire witcher 3 development history and what @Mebrilia pointed out is no evidence. Ok, now you just trolling.

No, it is not. Statements, demos and previews are evidence. Idle speculation isn't. Speculation isn't even a flipping anecdote. And since you shouldn't put too much stock in anecdotal evidence, you should put precisely none into sub-anecdotal conspiracy theorizing.

Critical thinking is not trolling, it's the bare minimum of intellectual integrity.

Look, you don't seem to understand how game engines work. 2077 won't load the whole of Night City into the operating memory. Just the bits you are near and then it won't draw the bits that you can't see.

First you are rude here, you don't know what i know or i don't know, yes engine load stuff near player, but also depend on setting it can load elements that are far from you, also by the 2018 demo you can see that Night City have ways more NPC then Assassin's Creed.

Also engine don't load just NPC it load terain, building, other stuff as box, car and many other things, you can say that open world with half empty land scape is same as big city.

No, it is not. Statements, demos and previews are evidence. Idle speculation isn't. Speculation isn't even a flipping anecdote. And since you shouldn't put too much stock in anecdotal evidence, you should put precisely none into sub-anecdotal conspiracy theorizing.

Critical thinking is not trolling, it's the bare minimum of intellectual integrity.
Such gems as "We are not downgrading, we are optimizing" from witcher drama times or "It's an RPG!!!" regarding Cyberpunk are statements too, you know. Yet first was debunked and second contradicts twitter description. So sometimes one have to fish in a dirty water. ):
IIRC devs confessed some time ago they can't work on two games in parallel because CP2077 was getting too ambitious and Witcher 3 was too unfinished so they moved the cyberpunk crew and reallocated all resources on one game.
'tis why they announced they will work on cyberpunk in 2012 and witcher 3 in 2013. You won, 'grats.
Pushing the date by a week would have put NCW on the 18th, which is a few days from the solstice, commonly celebrated as Saint John's Eve by Catholics, Anglicans and Lutherans in Europe. Well, originally, nowdays it has gone secular and is a popular holiday. Especially in Central and Northern Europe. In places like Poland.

Effectively pushing the date by a week, ment pushing it into a holiday week. When it was likely that many employees had scheduled their summer breaks. Doubly so since the quarantines across Europe were beginning to be lifted.
'Dis I didn't know, yes. But quarantine is not an excuse since every event so far was online-only to prevent possible covid-19 infection spread.
The original Deus Ex was a rpg-immersive sim hybrid, so no. Nothing contradictory here.
The original Deus Ex is mission based rpg-immersive sim hybrid. Cyberpunk is open world with Witcher 3-like map from your own words. Witcher 3-esque open world is not exactly immersive-sim friendly so it should be an RPG with such elements then. Yet twitter says otherwise. Not immersive sim, not RPG, just FPS with abilities and leveling/perks? "We are not downgrading" again?

While still kinda surprised by another delay its pretty understandable why it got pushed to november, if y'all remember they couldn't even record all the VA for day one on disk in time for september.

And i'm pretty sure there are other structural problems other than fixing bugs and optimizations that really worry me.

Anyway, PrEoRder CanCelED emirite?

I pretty much outright said it.

PS4

PC
[...]

Last edited by a moderator:
Such gems as "We are not downgrading, we are optimizing" from witcher drama times or "It's an RPG!!!" regarding Cyberpunk are statements too, you know. Yet first was debunked and second contradicts twitter description. So sometimes one have to fish in a dirty water. ):

Twitter, the beacon of peer reviewed facts and information backed by unparalled amounts of supporting evidence.... Sorry, I only mention it because I've noticed a trend where tech/gaming sites flock to random information presented by random users on such platforms. Someone said it so lets run with it :).

Top Bottom