Important update about Cyberpunk 2077 release date

+
No. Your game starting location and apartment will look/be different depending if you are corpo, nomad, or street kid. Already confirmed in an interview
Starting location yes. Apartment I'm not quite so confident we have a totally good read on what it will end up being. As you mentioned, the closest to that which I've heard is that V’s apartment will look differently based on the Lifepath we chose and it will change in some ways over time. Look different does not necessarily mean a totally different location. EDIT: It could easily just mean is decorated differently to reflect V's background.

Last edited:
If you mean Origins and Odyssey both games are set in older time with maps big and empty, and Night City probably have more population then all of Origins and Odyssey.
Probably not so much Origins or Odyssey, although the pedestrian density is fairly respectable in those games, but more along the lines of Unity. That game had so many people on the streets it felt almost claustrophobic...

Starting location yes. Apartment I'm not quite so confident we have a totally good read on what it will end up being. As you mentioned, the closest to that which I've heard is that V’s apartment will look differently based on the Lifepath we chose and it will change in some ways over time. Look different does not necessarily mean a totally different location. EDIT: It could easily just mean is decorated differently to reflect V's background.

Yep that's what was implied. Not sure if it's entirely different location for the apartment but more so the aesthetics depending on the background. Still better than no variance between different life paths.

It could easily just mean is decorated differently to reflect V's background.
That's how I understood it as well but at this point I'm just going to wait until they clarify things before making assumptions because IDK what's true or not anymore.

How do we know it?

For all we know it will be utter shit.

Or

A thoroughly lukewarm experience.
Or
Anything between a masterpiece and the worst game in years.

I never said a good RPG.. Probably a good open world FPS themepark with a brancing narrative but on what i seen so far. A Bad rpg. And yes don't tell me the term RPG is vague. Who seen the past era of rpgs are clearly in mind what rpgs are and not.

The term RPG is vague. As someone who played the past era of RPGs, I do not think it has to be a of the same format as that earlier age to meet the definition RPG.

Yet, in RPG your stats/skills/abilities need to have big impact on your character and how that affect gameplay or game events, Pathfinder Kingmaker and Pillars of Eternity are DOS2 are good example, now anyone who add few abilityies to pick in game get to say it is RPG.

If i roleplay a thief who is master at opening lock and geting parry i want that his is that based of his skills i pick and upgraded, and not because i am good at presing block button at right time during combat or win mini game in lockpicking.

VtmB is best example how game is RPG, and not some action adventure with light RPG elements.

Yet, in RPG your stats/skills/abilities need to have big impact on your character and how that affect gameplay or game events, Pathfinder Kingmaker and Pillars of Eternity are DOS2 are good example, now anyone who add few abilityies to pick in game get to say it is RPG.

If i roleplay a thief who is master at opening lock and geting parry i want that his is that based of his skills i pick and upgraded, and not because i am good at presing block button at right time during combat or win mini game in lockpicking.

VtmB is best example how game is RPG, and not some action adventure with light RPG elements.

Yes, the term RPG, as it's applied by game developers, has evolved a bit over time. From something like old isometric RPG's to the creation of action RPG's. At the extreme end of the spectrum a game with a few abilities added you get to pick between being labelled as an RPG, as you said.

Plus, a great number of past games cleanly fit into one genre label. Modern games are more... flexible. They often do not fit into any single genre. Instead they have elements from several genres.

In the end does it really matter what we call it though? The question is whether you, as the player, feel it checks enough boxes to either fit as an RPG and/or offer a suitably entertaining gaming experience to be worth a purchase? The semantics and genre labels are less important.

For me only First Witcher feel like real RPG, other Witchers was action adventure, but not real a rpg.

It remain to be seen but so far from first demo and that horrible deep dive demo CP2077 look more like FPS with little RPG elements, where you will do most of the work, and stats and skills are there just so it can be called RPG.

The term RPG is vague. As someone who played the past era of RPGs, I do not think it has to be a of the same format as that earlier age to meet the definition RPG.

Well to be frank if i like a soccer game. I expect the game to be about soccer if i play an FPS i expect the game to make me see action and shooting in first person.
What happened was the bastardization ((i know is a bad word but is what describes that better)) of a game genre.
Luckily there is that is still using the old definition of what is an RPG despite what the market attempts to make people believe.
And so we have games like Bg3 id the works for example.

My core problem is another tho. I expected cyberpunk 2077 to be more closer as system with the pen and paper counterpart not a conversion but an adaptation but what we seen so fare from the two videos well.. It barely qualify as rpg. Is just a full blown fps with branching narrative and some light Roleplay elements. If that was a game based on his own franchise i would be alright with that but sadly is a game based on a pen and paper franchise and to me doing it like a first person shooter with light roleplay elements is basically Dumbing Down.

I am sorry but is how i see in that way. Like i said RPG are not a mind costruct is not even true to say that the genre is vague as there are other software house that deliver Rpgs like they used to be.

Who seen the past era of rpgs are clearly in mind what rpgs are and not.

Language evolves and the trick is to keep up with it. To "those who seen a past era", a clue was a ball of yarn. To those living in the current era, it meas a hint leading to something. A bundle of sticks used to have a different term, and cigarettes are still called something else in the UK. If I were to use that term in the USA, I'd get my lights knocked out.

Language evolves especially rapidly in new-fangled fields like tech and gaming. Used to be RPG was a Dungeons and Dragons thing, now Witcher 3 is an RPG. It's great you feel strongly enough about your elder definitions, but you're going to have more and more trouble keeping up with how the rest of the population perceives "RPG". I can guarantee at least 80% of people thought Witcher 3 was a roleplaying game (though I can see why others would argue why it's not.)

If the police ask me for a clue and I throw them a ball of yarn, they're not going to understand. If CP77 releases and you claim it's not an RPG, then people aren't going to understand. We're just going to have to adapt.

And yes don't tell me the term RPG is vague.

It is in 2020 though. Has been for some time in fact.

Again, I respect you think differently though. It's important to have someone around to remind us of days gone by and how we got here. At the very least, we can't really blame marketing for juggling these evolving terms (which is what started this debate), if it is accurate to how the rest of the market sees it. (Or was it marketing that started the deviation?). Still, you're inevitably going to be the old guy in his rocking chair, shouting at the kids to stay off your lawn and how they missuse "RPG" - both with very little result. They're just going to "Okay Boomer" you.

We might be going off topic now though...

Last edited:
Well, to me it's easy: if my avatar is doing most of the work, it can be a true RPG, if not then it's RPG light at best or an action adventure game at worst.

Decisive for the genre of a game is the proportion of the different game elements.
From what I have seen and read so far, the focus for me is clearly on FPS and so I find it difficult to call this game an RPG, but we should wait until the release to make a judgment.

Honestly, this comes as a big surprise to me. The first delay didn't, but this one does. I also don't understand the comment that the press are getting their preview copies this week. If the game is still sufficiently buggy to warrant another delay, then distributing it to reviewers is perplexing. Something doesn't add up.

But whatever. It is what it is. The game will be released when the game is released. On the positive side, it looks like we'll be getting a better view of it today.

Neither did I, to be honest.

I was speaking generally.

I don’t think RPG is a vague term. People thinking about it vaguely doesn’t make it so.

Just to clarify: Maybe "broad" is the better term.

The definition of an RPG has not so much become vague, as it has become very broad, with an increasing amount of defendable interpretations.

The definition of what's a RPG: the Blood War of gaming... I'd rather stay immortal than join the discussion :p

But admitting is broad or vague would be say something that is not actually accurated. Like i said there are software house that keep producing with nice success even Old School like rpgs. And when a game made in such a way release is always recognized like a classic rpg both by the critic and rpg fans.

Said that. I never pretended cyberpunk 2077 to be a turn based isometric game. I expected tho something more similiar to Fallout New vegas. Action gameplay with a deep stat and skill that allowed you to costumize a character that instead to forcing you in 3 presets is truly dynamic and is meant for you to design a character with his or her feature or flaws.

Is useless say. We did not seen enough. We actually did see that enough. The game is a first person shooter with light roleplay elements and not even a robust character progression all you have is 3 prototype of building to follow you can mix and match.

But V is V like Geralt was Geralt the only different is a degree of minimal visual customization you can make and some lifepath that can make your life easy during dialogues if the one reiceving the dialogue match with your lifepath..
Because sliderless customization based on preset is an half implemented customization expecially with all the games around even not RPG that allow you to design visually your character by modling it like clay. Is pretty much like Shepard. Shepard was not your character sure you could take decisions in the games you could visually customize it but it was a character with two kind of personality but defined one.

The difference here is like the difference between Fallout NV and Fallout 4

Fallout 4 had a lot player agency but was terrible as rpg and mainly a shoter.

Fallout NV had a lot of player agency choice concequences and also countless of different way to make your character and the game was also very reactive providing you with option depending on how you chosen your character skill stats or special tracts.

I expected Cyberpunk 2020 to be more like new vegas. Instead it focus on player agency pampering the player and holding his hand to one of the most important mechanics of Cyberpunk 2020. Humanity and Cyberpsychosis. Giving you a mostly defined character with a defined personality all mixing it up with a branching storyline ((wich even New Vegas had)) Cinematic and Bland roleplay elements followed by Heavy FPS mechanics.

Top Bottom