Important Update

+
That's what many people are starting to think and I'm partially into that too.
Should it proved to be true then the employees will get all my sympathy.

The scenario of people pondering whether or not this is fake could've all been avoided.

It's 2018. You have the special opportunity to deliver a product people want, a dream game for millions, including yourself. Some of these customers are tourists who love the genre, some players of the original rpg, while others are die-hard fans who adore your company. You fucked up, announced the game way too early and years later presented the first inkling of gameplay at an E3 console showcase, announcing a year later the release date for the current generation. 2020 comes, showtime; You either chose to avoid spending the extra 8-20 million worth of development the game needed, pushing it onto current gen console and PC only, or your game couldn't run at all on previous gen hardware so you've had to take a cleaver to it... resulting in it feeling unfinished and being almost completely broken.

Either of these situations play out amidst an unprecedented marketing campaign, full circuit interviews with high level developers, management, celebrities, etc. You're stated reason for the delays? Making it super awesome and optimized. Release date nears and you start buying off youtubers, some don't bite -warning the public about what's happening; the most fervent sectors of your fanbase attack them for "doomsaying" and labels them a "shill" while a handful become increasingly concerned. Reviewers aren't allowed to share their own footage, not that their reviews were honest anyway as you had already bribed them earlier with studio tours and exclusive demos, people are becoming suspiscious of the investor call where you stated the game runs "surprisingly well" on current gen hardware, nothing running on consoles has been seen for more than a few minutes ever, and you drop a launch day trailer completely removed from the premise you've been hyping since day one.

You desperately try patching the game, promising each patch/hotfix will be better than the last, but can barely squeeze a few more FPS out of the consoles versions... and you end up further breaking the PC version in the process often. You offer a non-apology where you insist everything was good, you did everything right, COVID ruined the game even though you missed the initial deadline before things went tits up, and you'll make the game better... sort of, in a year, maybe.

Now you may or may not have been l33t haxX0rd and your player base is further fractured, wondering if this is the video game industry's Reichstag fire proper. The working girl you propositioned is on the bed, untouched, browsing her phone, bored with the delayed responses and getting hungry. You stare out of your elite hotel suite balcony windows, barely blinking, as the sun steadily creeps over the horizon. Weathervane crosses dot the landscape.. it's been a long time since you last went to mass, you think to yourself. The coffee in your gold-rimmed, gucci style, Cyberpunk™ mug has gone cold since it was poured earlier that evening, but the taste is just as bitter... you no longer have time for cream and sugar these days. 'How did it come to this?' you wonder as Slack pings relentlessly in the background. You barely feel the sun's warmth as dawn arrives and you return to your laptop. Why is this happening? You just wanted to make video games.

Last edited:
This is heartbreaking. Some might find levity in this moment, but this hurts 500+ people working in CDPR, as well us gamers that will also have to pay the price of the company having to take time out of their already busy schedules to deal with this issue instead of continue developing content and fixes for their games.
My thoughts go to the CDPR teams. I hope the ransom note is highly exaggerated and that the fallout of this will be miniscule.
Post automatically merged:

I don't want to point fingers and it may just be a coincidence seeing as many big companies use Perforce, but... maybe someone who works for Perforce Software is selling server details, user names and passwords to these cretins.

Depending on how authentication from CDPR to Perforce is configured, it might have been as simple as changing the password of a user with access to all the repositories in the local AD, then use a single-sign in to their Perforce instance with the newly created password. They might also have a sync going from the cloud servers to the local servers which makes a data dump trivial.
Have no knowledge of Perforce, so it's all based on knowledge of other systems however.

Last edited:
I'm sorry this happened to them but that's what you can get when mess with Techno-Necromancers From Alpha Centauri...

Last edited:
This is heartbreaking. Some might find levity in this moment, but this hurts 500+ people working in CDPR, as well us gamers that will also have to pay the price of the company having to take time out of their already busy schedules to deal with this issue instead of continue developing content and fixes for their games.
My thoughts go to the CDPR teams. I hope the ransom note is highly exaggerated and that the fallout of this will be miniscule.
Post automatically merged:

Depending on how authentication from CDPR to Perforce is configured, it might have been as simple as changing the password of a user with access to all the repositories in the local AD, then use a single-sign in to their Perforce instance with the newly created password. They might also have a sync going from the cloud servers to the local servers which makes a data dump trivial.
Have no knowledge of Perforce, so it's all based on knowledge of other systems however.

No

If you have something that is eyes only, top secret, sensitive, etc. you NEVER EVER PUT THEM ON THE CLOUD!!

You put them on local computers, not connected to the internet, and only people with proper authorization can have anything to do with them. If they are on any network, they will be internal network with zero physical link to the internet.

In fact in the machining business, if you are machining something that has a NDA attached to it, you do NOT use Fusion 360 to generate toolpaths. Because Fusion 360 is a cloud only software, meaning everything you do on it is on the cloud, as the software is meant for collaborative work, so what you make is shared so others may be able to improve on it. Kinda like open source software. Making parts using Fusion 360 is enough to violate any NDA.

I don't care how secure some cloud provider is, they are on the open internet, it WILL get hacked. So if it's important information that will damage you if it gets out, then it stays on paper, on closed network, or on no network, and strict access control for who sees them or has access to them.

The military doesn't put stuff on clouds, neither should anyone if they have private info that they don't want out there.

At the very least the data should only be on closed network accessible only via specialized VPN.

I'm having a certain feel of deja-vu, didn't this happen to CDPR before? lol
1612875182350.png

Most of the time it's not about who did it first, but who did it better. Valve, or CDPR?

Get hacked before the game launches so you can blame dev. hell on source code leak, or doing it after release so you can blame delayed games fixes on source code leak... allegedly.

I'm sorry but I just cannot feel any sympathy for this company, they made their coffins with the release of CP2077. A lot of people, myself included are not happy with how they released the game.
So long story short, news like this does not really surprise me. Assuming it was done due to the events of CP2077.

If not then, I still cannot feel any sympathy but I do hope that the whole customer data breach is not true. Customers do not deserve this and if anything that is where my sympathy is being placed.

As someone else already mentioned it would be interesting to see CP2077 leaks of what may of been or could be in the future, anything we don't already know really.

Otherwise, a part of me feels like this is justified in a way. Despite how harsh that may come across for some. They knew what they where doing, hence making their coffins.

Assuming this is all true of course, with CDPR who knows. They seem to have a habit of lying out their @sses these days...

Top Bottom