Importing a Custom Silver Sword

+
Importing a Custom Silver Sword

Hello everyone,

Firstly a big thanks to CDPR for releasing the REDkit, I've been a huge fan of the Witcher series since playing the first release. A while ago I made a fan mod for Skyrim that was a custom model of the Witcher's silver sword seen here:

http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/16991/?
View attachment 81

Now onto the questions, I work as a 3D artist in a studio here in the UK so I am no stranger to the pipeline of importing meshes to an engine. I work day to day with UE3 so my question is this, has any information been made available on the process of getting custom skeletal meshes working with TW2? Static meshes are simple enough as they generally will not animate and require no rigging. A skeletal mesh, such as a sword for example (as I am trying to import) I imagine requires a root bone for the placement of the hand on the grip. I've tried simply exporting the basic silver sword model out of redkit for scale reference and then exported my .RE out and replace the original mesh. This however causes the sword to render invisible in the game.

Any detailed information would be great on custom meshes in general. Supplying the community with a 3dsMax exporter was a fantastic start, now we just need a little documentation to see custom weapons and characters for use in mods ;)

Attachments

• 16991-1-1336926392.jpg
    16991-1-1336926392.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 162
stupid question - are you sure you had applied material?

There's no such thing as stupid questions ;) but yes, I am sure the material was applied, the sword appeared correctly in both the mesh and entity viewer within redkit.

I think Klabautermann once managed to make a "Q-Tip" sword in Redkit that Geralt could use. You should write him a message. :)

I am currently working on a mod project that changes models [mesh,fbx] of bunch of swords.

Problem is runes get all screwed up when I use edited sword, you can see that in this video.

I came across an information that the runes have something to do with UV maps.

I am new to blender, I do not fully understand how to combine or add uv maps for a material or face, I am so new to this I can't even define my problem in proper terms used by artists.

I was hoping someone could point me in relevant direction. I came across this blender tutorial but with my limited knowledge it is hard for me to understand.

Hello sampande,
first this is the witcher 2 part of the forum, second so do you mean the runes make problems in which game the second or the third? The video is for the third game but there are also runes in the second game. In the second game the runes are separate from the original mesh. They are just glowing textures, which are combined with the sword by using entity templates.So, I think, you don't have to bother about them, while editing the swords. Speaking about the witcher 3. I don't have a clue, sorry. Maybe browse the witcher 3 modding forum?! But you stated that you're a beginner to blender, so maybe learn it step by step.
Sorry for the lousy advices, but maybe better than none.
Nemo

Top Bottom