Imposter "new" leader ability

+
My first impression is that this is weaker than I expected. It could be due to my matchups, but I'm really struggling to find good targets for this leader ability. Copy and play would be something entirely different, but "spawn on opposite row" in many ways limits this leader to order units, independent turn-by-turn units or tall units.

-Seems pretty bad against SY for sure, except as a counter to Savollas Frightener (not sure if this is ideal). I can't think of many other syndicate cards it would be useful against.
-Seems pretty weak against ST as any worthwhile units to copy depends on ST stuff in most cases. Exceptions are some of their order/ping units which would give a non-ideal leader. It can be useful is you play a heavily imposter like deck (dudu,kingslayer etc), but even that is somewhat unrewarding as most copied units is not played and don't proc harmony. It is probably more useful in an assimilate variance.
-SK I didn't find any useful targets yet. There are useful targets for sure, but I haven't really found them.
-NG I guess it's most useful against Damien and Skellen or Tibor for those decks who play him. Especially as a combo. That's probably an opportunity for this leader to shine, especially against Damien. Less so against Skellen unless you have say Royal Decree at hand.
-MO, good for tall copy and probably assimilate style decks and imposter heavy decks (kingslayer, dudu) which can punish some deathwish decks probably. Haven't met MO decks yet, so dunno.
-NR, not sure if the value would be good, but they have many order units, also many non-useful ones to copy. Haven't tried yet.

Anyways, I'm struggling to find good targets for this leader. i'm playing mostly a lockdown/status based deck, but I also tried an imposter heavy + semi-assimilate type deck without success. I've also seen poison variants. I guess a real assimilate version could be interesting to try.

So, what are your impressions so far anyways? What type of deck do you use for this leader? What type of decks do you find less or more good with this leader?

DRK3

Forum veteran
I am in the same situation, i expected it to be dominant and super popular but it doesnt seem to be the case, i have barely seen anyone else play it and when i did use it, i lost most of the times.

Maybe it was just some bad matchups, but i was abusing Damiens and Vattier seizes and still lost, mostly because the new popular decks seem to be more focused on swarm than tall units (and against MO, Yghern is super popular but you shouldnt use your leader ability on him, and same for Ozzrel).

I crossed 2 of them, one while I was playing dorfs and the other with Svalbood. Neither of those 2 decks has any control tools so the NG player played everything smoothly, Damien, blah blah, NG stuff.
It did not work for them, as I had mentioned elsewhere, it is like the poison deck, if the opponent plays many low power units it becomes quite difficult for the strategy to work.

I still see the ensalve as something much more effective and stronger since by itself it can generate up to 12pts while denying a unit to the opponent, with a chance to use his abilities.

Yghern is super popular but you shouldnt use your leader ability on him, and same for Ozzrel).

Ahh yea, I didn't even think about that, leader doesn't work against those. And that's THE most played tall unit for MO. Perhaps this leader is worse than I thought against MO.

DRK3

Forum veteran
Ahh yea, I didn't even think about that, leader doesn't work against those. And that's THE most played tall unit for MO. Perhaps this leader is worse than I thought against MO.

You can lock Yghern/ Ozzrel for either a Vanhemar destroy or Vattier Seize after. But to use the leader ability, on Yghern i assume yours gets destroyed because it has no armor, and Ozzrel will just be 1pt

You can lock Yghern/ Ozzrel for either a Vanhemar destroy or Vattier Seize after. But to use the leader ability, on Yghern i assume yours gets destroyed because it has no armor, and Ozzrel will just be 1pt

Well, it's the combo value you are looking for, not just enabling the destroy. You can do that with any lock.

I find the leader to be quite a good counter to Savolla. I don't use Vattier, rather Vincent, which ofcourse can also destroy Savolla's Frightener without locking. But the combo value is quite good, copy/Vanhemar.

Last edited:

DRK3

Forum veteran
Well, it's the combo value you are looking for, not just enabling the destroy. You can do that with any lock.

I find the leader to be quite a good counter to Savolla. I don't use Vattier, rather Philippe, which ofcourse can also destroy Savolla's Frightener without locking. But the combo value is quite good, copy/Vanhemar.

Hmmm, you had me stop for a second and think who the hell is Philippe, i only know of a nasty Philippa (2 versions, both nasty...). Then i figured its the NG dude that can destroy an unit with any status, at least i assume that's the one you mean (i checked, that one is Vincent, not Phillipe).
I hadnt thought about that, i never noticed Savolla's Frightener is doomed,its an interesting counter...

However, that only proves how ridiculously OP the Luiza+Savolla combo is - 23 points (+2 coins) for 18 provisions, that's a 1.39 ratio. If you play Vincent Morleehem (5pts, 11 provisions) to counter the frightener you get a 1.45 ratio, barely higher than the SY combo, and just in points-talk, at the end you have a 5pt Vincent, the opponent has a 6pt Philippa and a 6pt Savolla, so their losses werent that terrible.

Hmmm, you had me stop for a second and think who the hell is Philippe, i only know of a nasty Philippa (2 versions, both nasty...). Then i figured its the NG dude that can destroy an unit with any status, at least i assume that's the one you mean (i checked, that one is Vincent, not Phillipe).
I hadnt thought about that, i never noticed Savolla's Frightener is doomed,its an interesting counter...

However, that only proves how ridiculously OP the Luiza+Savolla combo is - 23 points (+2 coins) for 18 provisions, that's a 1.39 ratio. If you play Vincent Morleehem (5pts, 11 provisions) to counter the frightener you get a 1.45 ratio, barely higher than the SY combo, and just in points-talk, at the end you have a 5pt Vincent, the opponent has a 6pt Philippa and a 6pt Savolla, so their losses werent that terrible.

Oops, yeah, Vincent that's his name..

Yeah, the ideal combo is leader/Vanhemar on Frightener. It's quite a nice deck against Savolla actually, if you play locks, Myrgtabrakke and bomb heaver (if needed) in a royal decree deck, it's a pretty good counter deck to the new SY leader and the most common deck combinations.

Qzman

Forum regular
I've been playing Imposter with a decent 80% winrate at rank 8... So far so good!

I've been playing Imposter with a decent 80% winrate at rank 8... So far so good!

Wow, that's pretty good. I'm struggling with all decks currently at rank 3 where I've been stuck all season with a terrible winrate. Imposter is no exception.

I don't want to say it's like two different worlds, but the difference is substantial. Mostly I only meet meta decks using the worst possible comboes and defect meta and OP cards. Being how I refuse to netdeck and use broken cards and comboes as rarely as I can, this is ofcourse to be expected.

I guess you could say my Imposter deck is a lock based, destroy based, anti-meta deck with utility cards. It's a pretty decent deck, but the competition is very stiff.

I'm not Nilfgaard main, but imposter looks like just anty engine.

And also you may not see it working when it already do - for example few games ago enemy having this ability forced me to mulligan back into deck Anna Strenger. So you don't have good imposter Value, because we are jsut not playing it. Playing Anna Strenger would give actually - value for me, with enemy having imposter.
So he saw his ability as simple 9 points (he stole some 7 and it was +2 from the ability) but there were hidden bonus points for mulligan good card into bad card (still worth for me).
Post automatically merged:

Wow, that's pretty good. I'm struggling with all decks currently at rank 3 where I've been stuck all season with a terrible winrate. Imposter is no exception.

I don't want to say it's like two different worlds, but the difference is substantial. Mostly I only meet meta decks using the worst possible comboes and defect meta and OP cards. Being how I refuse to netdeck and use broken cards and comboes as rarely as I can, this is ofcourse to be expected.

I guess you could say my Imposter deck is a lock based, destroy based, anti-meta deck with utility cards. It's a pretty decent deck, but the competition is very stiff.
Hey. I'm amazed about you not netdecking! But I can't understand "not using broken cards". Some cards are stronger in meta, and you recognasing it should use exactly those cards, no?

Hey. I'm amazed about you not netdecking! But I can't understand "not using broken cards". Some cards are stronger in meta, and you recognasing it should use exactly those cards, no?

I know which cards are strong, but I also know the difference between those and those that are completely OP, bonkers and makes the game feel annoying.

I'm fully willing to use strong cards, but not cards that shouldn't be like they are currently, "broken".. I don't consider say "new Cerys" broken (it could be, dunno), but some of the comboes rather, alot of Skellige stuff is bonkers with Lippy. I guess I'm just going to try to be the bigger man and not (a)buse those things.

Btw where I can find the leader cards? like
https://gwent.one/en/card/202573
(new one)
or
I don't see these artworks anywhere in the game, but I am a new player.
What used to be leaders are now just skins you unlock in the reward trees, while all abilities are available to everyone... That's lame but I guess they planned for more abilities than there are potential leaders.

I'm trying to experiment with Imposter Assimilate.. So far, so bad..

But then again, I've never played assimilate before, so it could just be me playing it badly. Well, that's definitely also the case, but it might not be the final reason it's going badly.

I'm trying to experiment with Imposter Assimilate.. So far, so bad..

But then again, I've never played assimilate before, so it could just be me playing it badly. Well, that's definitely also the case, but it might not be the final reason it's going badly.
Oh, don't worry. Assimilate just isn't quite there in terms of power, especially when compared to Harmony and Thrive. You can check my "Keywords" thread for more information

Top Bottom