Improvements to the card "Promote"

+
Improvements to the card "Promote"

At this moment this card converts all the istances of a card to gold, and in my opinion, if you have only 1 or 2 same bronze cards it doesn't perform particularly well. So my change to this card would be: "Convert up to 3 cards to gold", this way it makes this card more reliable, and prevents it to be too powerful in some specific cases, like when there are many ban ard adepts or 6-9 PFI.
If in this way the card seems a bit unbalanced, it could promote up to 3 cards, but these cards must be on the same row and/or if you choose a silver card, you cannot choose other cards to promote (although personally I think that limiting the card to a single row is more than enough, maybe a bit too much.).
Also another little change that could be added, is that it can also target a card in hand, but then only 1, and it's effect is not applied to other istances of the same card (this improves the chance of surviving the first turn on some key cards like margarita or tower/ballista).

So the final ''form'' of this card could be "Choose up to 3 cards on the same row on your side of the battlefield, or 1 from your hand, and convert it to gold.". This might improve the situation with the NR promote tactict, which IMO at this point in time, is disappointing. Especially since for promote to be effective you need 3 of the same card, so you must always put the same 3 cards in your deck and reinforcements is a must have. With this change however, you can choose to swap reinforcements for something else, and you can also choose not to have 3 towers and 3 ballistas, but like 2 towers, 2 ballistas, and any two other cards you might want to use in your deck.

Last edited:

4RM3D

Ex-moderator
Interesting suggestion. Still, I would just drop the option to target a card in hand. Anyhow, if you can select up to 3 bronze cards, then this has some major repercussions. On the one hand, Henselt's Gold Rush is dead, on the other hand, Promote can be used in other types of decks. So if you would change Promote, then Henselt is gonna need some love.

Isn't it generally agreed that NR is the weakest deck right now?

I feel like there's a great deal of other cards/decks in the game that are more deserving of nerfing than promote right now.

There's nothing wrong with Promote. And there's not that much you can do to improve it without making it OP.

As for Henselt... his main problem seems to be that he requires a lot setup, whereas meta decks are usually a lot more straightforward, efficient... and boring. I'm not sure it's good if all powerful combos in the game get too easy to do and less situational. Better be careful here...

Besides... the only nr leader that really has an identity crisis is Foltest. Radovid is still very powerful and buffing NR in the wrong place is risky...

Honestly, they need to make improvements to the whole NR faction in general. I think NR is the only faction that faced the most severe nerfs. Other faction every once in a while get over-nerfed too, but for some reason ends up getting re-buffed. About 80% of the NR bronze cards IMO are currently under powered and needs to be buffed asap

NatoGreavesy;n7982690 said:
feel like there's a great deal of other cards/decks in the game that are more deserving of nerfing than promote right now.
I don't see it as a nerf, being able to promote 3 different cards is a needed buff, how many times it happened to you to have a siege tower, a ballista and another card in the siege row? many times for me, because this tactic needs a lot of preparation and can be easily countered by most control cards, if you don't have at least 3 of the same card, promote is almost useless.
devivre;n7982810 said:
And there's not that much you can do to improve it without making it OP.
What's wrong is that now it can have a ''normal'' behaviour, a useless one, and one OP.
If you don't have any duplicates of a bronze card, it's practically useless, if you have 3, it works as it should, if you have 12 PFI, or 12 ban ard adepts, it becomes OP, if you change it so you can target any units up to 3, you cut the OP side, you cut the useless side, and you make the card more versatile, meaning you can use it also in other types of deck and you can have more variety in your deck, since the rule that if you pick a unit, you MUST pick three of it or it will work against you is no longer valid.

Most of the time it will be a bronze card that adds two strength (6 in total), and makes a card gold, you can always counter it with dimeritium shackles and dimeritium bomb. I really cannot see how can it be overpowered with this change, although funny, to me being able to target 20 ban ard adepts, adding 40 strength to them, spawning 20 more, plus the interaction with ballistas and siege towers seems way too powerful, yes, you can easily counter it with a control deck, but many people think that there is too much control, with this change even if you don't have many control cards, you don't won't be at the mercy of the opponent.

Last edited:
My idea would be to change promote such that it can also work like Quen. So either you choose to promote either
1. all instances of a unit in your deck
OR
2. all instance of a unit on the board

So if you have one tower on the field and one in hand you will still only promtoe one of them.

On first glance playing promote on the units in hand may seem too strong but note that towers would be weaker if promoted in hand and then played as compared to playing two of them and then promoting on the battlefield. Also you may not get all promoted units in you deck so there are several downsides.

Having both alternatives would greatly improve most NR decks and make them more compeditive.

Evilknievel82;n7984380 said:
My idea would be to change promote such that it can also work like Quen.
Well, that's an interesting way to further protect a card before playing it, like let's say Dandelion, however I think the card should work more consistently with the units you have already played, mostly because with the freedom to chose 3 cards to promote, as I already said, you are also free not to pick always the same three cards, now picking like 2 towers + 2 ballistas + 2 (insert unit here) instead of 3 tower + 3 ballistas, is very counter-productive because you cannot effectively use promote on them. If choosing any three cards from you side seems too much, you can limit it to three cards on the same row, thus it will work almost as now, but still with more flexibility.

Tungdilboindil;n7984480 said:
Well, that's an interesting way to further protect a card before playing it, like let's say Dandelion, however I think the card should work more consistently with the units you have already played, mostly because with the freedom to chose 3 cards to promote, as I already said, you are also free not to pick always the same three cards, now picking like 2 towers + 2 ballistas + 2 (insert unit here) instead of 3 tower + 3 ballistas, is very counter-productive because you cannot effectively use promote on them. If choosing any three cards from you side seems too much, you can limit it to three cards on the same row, thus it will work almost as now, but still with more flexibility.

Hmmm well I agree that it would be an improvement but it would make the Henselt ability kind of dull compared to ordinary promote. I mean you rarely promote more than 3 units with henselt and the advantage is that you can promote different units at the same time so the promote card would often be better than henselt which is weird.

Tungdilboindil;n7983150 said:
how many times it happened to you to have a siege tower, a ballista and another card in the siege row? many times for me, because this tactic needs a lot of preparation and can be easily countered by most control cards, if you don't have at least 3 of the same card, promote is almost useless.

Perhaps it's just the way my deck (http://www.gwentdb.com/decks/12570-the-traveler) is set up, but I rarely have issues with getting 3-4 of the same card onto the board at any given time.

Evilknievel82;n7986840 said:
I mean you rarely promote more than 3 units with henselt and the advantage is that you can promote different units at the same time so the promote card would often be better than henselt which is weird.
And that's why I proposed in my second post that Henselt should also add an extra 2 strength or an extra 2 base strength, Henselt could use a little buff.
However, if you want to promote many units with henselt, you need Dijkstra, then you can promote even a dozen or more cards at once.

Top Bottom