In defense of Roach

+
I love Roach, the only 2 things inexcusable are;

1. Roach doesn't automatically jump low\mid terrain when running or cantering
2. Roach getting inexplicably "stuck" on terrain and it just looks like you are hitting a invisible wall.

Both of those things must be fixed about Roach, the first thing especially the mind boggles over.

I preferred traveling on foot most of the game.
But oh man, did Roach come though when I was overburdened.
Besides Skyrim's mounting clunckiness, I had yet to witness a well implemented horse mount since
Age of Conan. (which wasn't anything special)
The amount of steepness Roach is allowed to travel on was surprising but still appeared convincing.

About horses:

Professor W. Blendinger, who made a well-documented study of the psychology of horses, explains:

1. No one can say that the vision of the horse is worse or better than ours. It is designed by nature to suit the needs of the animal in the wild and we can not have a limited idea of ​​how horses see the world.

2. The horse can see its environment nearly as well from any angle, but I can not focus on objects just as we have.

3. The lateral position of the eyes hardly allows you to see objects that are in front of him, and deprived of the sense of volume.

4. Its ability to see so many things at the same time reduces its ability to focus on a specific object. From the point of view of the horse jumps, it is an interesting observation indicates that teach horses to look intently at obstacle.

5. Adaptation to see things with a very bright light or total darkness is a feature horse eye, but is not designed to adapt to changes in light and fast.

6. The ability to detect very slight movements is much more acute in the horse than in man.

7. It is not true that the horses do not distinguish colors. It is virtually certain that they can distinguish red, yellow, green and blue, although less accurate than we do also seem better distinguish the yellow and thegreen than the blue and the red.
GoogleTRanslation

Roach is a good horse because she stops at ravine where Geralt could easyly die by jumping them.

Last edited:
I also love Roach. I wish that there were more colours for her, particularly a white one, or perhaps a palomino. Maybe Geralt could find a market where horses are for sale, or alternately obtainable by quests. Also, I wish that Geralt would sometimes praise Roach: "Good girl". It would add to immersion to hear him calm her by voice when players use the Axii sign.

Agreed, sometimes Geralt could be more kind to her...especially considering all the comedy she provides.
Shame we can't buy some sugar cubes to give her every once in a while...it would be a cool way to game economy in line.

In game Roach is the best. he never BS you, and he is always here for you and only for you. that's a good one.

I don't understand why so many peoples don't like him, maybe beacause they don't like horses ?:geraltfeelgood:

Roach needs no defense. Roach is awesome.

I am so thankful to have such an amazing ride, in game. I've never seen such realistic horse movements. I'm still impressed every time I get on. Yeah, it can be 'sticky' at times, but I find the upside leaves the downside nowhere to be seen.

I also appreciate that CDPR put the fast gallop in, where Roach will usually do a decent job of sticking to the road. About half of the big turns he'll just go off, but I'm prepared and I now ride seamlessly.

Like the fact that after a killing spree Roach actually runs away from me and I have to chase her awhile and calm her down. Nice touch :)

Top Bottom