In game character Perspective!

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
There can be great 3rd person shooters, and there are a lot of lame 1st person RPG so the best way to go is to give the player both options. Good 3rd person, with movable side camera plus 1st person with some body awareness. Let us not be some perspective nazis. The more options the better.

Why? This is true for FPS games but not RPG games. .

It's not even true for Shooters... the SOCOM series is testament to that, which are far more fun for me than the gears of war or call of duty game games....

I would prefer 3rd person, but more importantly than that, I'm not sure 1st person would work with the engine. Of course we haven't seen how they've advanced it since The Witcher 2, but the engine was built around a 3rd person game, and judging from how TW2 plays, I can't see it working in 1st person at all. Just a thought.

Would it be possible to make something that you can zoom into/out of from third person to first person?

I'm thinking something like the Skyrim interface. I could have the game design way off though.

Damn I've spent 15 minute typing, backspacing, and retyping what I've been thinking. Finally my best answer would be to just work with the perspective they are most comfortable working with.

But they were shooters... Not RPG games.. RPG game should be more like the movie where u are an actor but can make the decisions. There are not many movies with first person perspective and mostly it is just for a short while.

I disagree. I know they are basing the design of the game heavily on the tabletop experience. That was definitely an RPG, but gunplay was arguably the biggest element of the game. And the fact is that shooting in third person perspective is just plain wrong. Aiming while looking over your character's shoulder is completely immersion breaking. Besides, some of the very best RPG games ever created, were made in first-person perspective.

Everyone talks about Deus Ex: Human Revolution, but that game isn't nearly as engaging as the original from more the 10 years ago, a game that was played in first-person. Then there's System Shock 2, one of the finest games ever created, full stop. Excellent RPG aspects and one of the first to go genre-bending by combing shooter elements with a deep RPG layer. You'll find that little gem on nearly every top 10 games of all time list, worth its salt. Then how about Thief, really, the first FPS stealther. A damn solid game with great RPG aspects, and again, first person perspective. Third person doesn't improve the RPG elements, it detracts from them.

I also disagree about games being made more like movies to push RPG elements. The most recent Max Payne is a testament to how destructive a practice that is when it comes to immersion. And movies are made from third-person perspectives because the audience member isn't supposed to be thrown into a specific role. They are meant to be observers from multiple perspectives. Even biographics expect the audience to be observers, not the character that the biographic is about.

Nothing puts you into your character as effectively as seeing through her/his eyes. Any other view creates a real and metaphoric distance. It's not insurmountable, but it is there and there's no mistaking it.

Cover systems are the biggest reason why I hate third-person perspectives in shooters. It's dreadfully cheap to press a button for instant immunity from incoming fire. I've been playing games for a *very* long time and in my opinion, cover systems are the worst mechanics ever devised. It's also the reason that I have a hate on for controllers, whose use is the root cause of the development of cover mechanics. Cover systems are a crutch necessitated by the use of controllers, to shore up the inability of those devices, to effectively manipulate games of a certain genre. That genre being shooters. In fact, I'd hazard a guess that the rise of third-person shooters, also stems from the use of controllers, since using that perspective allows developers to build in such cheats as assisted aiming, without it being as noticeable.

Sorry for the rant, but I really do hate those mechanics and I can't stop myself from shooting venom at their catalyst. But at least I never mentioned game platforms.

I would like to be able to switch between 1st or 3rd and have good animations while in 3rd. I primarily play in 1st but sometimes I want to see how bad ass my character looks.

Also I would like to suggest something to make up for a huge advantage that 3rd person has. SEEING AROUND CORNERS! If I get 1st person please give me a "Lean" ability so I can peak around corners.

I disagree. I know they are basing the design of the game heavily on the tabletop experience. That was definitely an RPG, but gunplay was arguably the biggest element of the game. And the fact is that shooting in third person perspective is just plain wrong. Aiming while looking over your character's shoulder is completely immersion breaking. Besides, some of the very best RPG games ever created, were made in first-person perspective.

Everyone talks about Deus Ex: Human Revolution, but that game isn't nearly as engaging as the original from more the 10 years ago, a game that was played in first-person. Then there's System Shock 2, one of the finest games ever created, full stop. Excellent RPG aspects and one of the first to go genre-bending by combing shooter elements with a deep RPG layer. You'll find that little gem on nearly every top 10 games of all time list, worth its salt. Then how about Thief, really, the first FPS stealther. A damn solid game with great RPG aspects, and again, first person perspective. Third person doesn't improve the RPG elements, it detracts from them.

I also disagree about games being made more like movies to push RPG elements. The most recent Max Payne is a testament to how destructive a practice that is when it comes to immersion. And movies are made from third-person perspectives because the audience member isn't supposed to be thrown into a specific role. They are meant to be observers from multiple perspectives. Even biographics expect the audience to be observers, not the character that the biographic is about.

Nothing puts you into your character as effectively as seeing through her/his eyes. Any other view creates a real and metaphoric distance. It's not insurmountable, but it is there and there's no mistaking it.

I appreciate that you feel this way, it doesn't make it true... it may be true to you, but its not true for myself, and many others here...

However, from the beginining I have stated that the game should be programmed for a default 3rd person perspective, while having an option for first person perspective. My reason for this remains as true as it was when I stated it. Games that program first person as default, have character movemetnts that look just plain silly when backed out to third person, or when viewed by other players. You wanna talk about immersion breaking, its why I can;t really get into any first person game. Plus, as MANY people have stated, we are going to spend time customizing our character, and we want to see him or her.

So you are vehemently defending against a position very few here are taking. Most of do want first person to be an option, just not the default. And as long as you get your option, I fail to see what you are complaining or worried about... In first person, it doesn't matter to you what your character looks like, or how he moves, because the only thing you will ever see is your gun barrel....

In first person, it doesn't matter to you what your character looks like, or how he moves, because the only thing you will ever see is your gun barrel....

Ah, Wisdom, here we must disagree. Good first-person is as tough to get right as third-person, adn as distracting when done poorly. Consider the feel of System Shock, Deus Ex or even DEHR to the much smoother Far Cry 3. The latter is a joy to play in FP and you very much feel as if you are there. Your arms and legs move, your perspective tilts crazily, your vision wobbles.
Much more fun than the clumsy renditions done in DX, which was notorious for being a fairly clumsy FPS.

Now, Third person looks quite silly if not rendered properly. The Witcher 2 vs F:NV is the typical example. One is smooth, pretty and slick - the other is FNV.

I'm not as excited about pretty as many here - I dearly wish they'd spent ten months LESS working on Witcher 2 purty-purty and ten months MORE adding to the playtime. That last chapter...ugh.

In a few years, our memories will prettify up all these games so they look modern - but they won't prettify the cut-short campaign or clumsy UI or awkward feeling of shooting.

My hope is CDPR will focus heavily on how the game feels to play in both TPS and FPS before how purty it looks.

I'd like having both options, and might even prefer to play mostly in 1st person if that were effective, but if you want good combat/action..that would be very tough to pull off for first person. It's difficult to cater to both views unless the action is an afterthought, like in Skyrim. Unless it could be made to play well in both views, I'd have no problem if they stuck to 3rd person and focused on that....as long as it looks great, animations look good/not clunky, and the perspective is right/attractive.

I like first person RPGs and Sims like Fallout 3 and Mount and Blade, and third person RPGs and Simms like Mass Effect and Mount and Blade...

I hope we can use 1st person for looking down iron sights at our targets, and third person for brawling. No reason the answer can't be 'yes and'.

I think the best thing for such a game is the 3rd person view. You are able to style your own character but in 1rst person you cant see him....
If your are able to switch from 3rd to 1st, then you have to make 3rd first. If you dont do it the character walking animation looks shit...

If they make the quest dialogues properly, by giving the protagonist a voice, and having him or her have discussions with the NPC's, while the camera angles change, then we should be able to see our characters in all their glory quite often.

I personally play something like Skyrim, for example, first person only, even with a melee character. Still, I'd like them to have a proper first person and a proper third person option.

Being in a firefight as third person sucks. It just sucks, period. You need to be able to look through your iron sights or your scope or at the very least have some kind of a crosshair, but you need to be immersed into what you're doing. However, there are so many other times when third person is fine. Still, if you're looking for immersion (which I am), third person ruins it, for me at least.

I would vote for both views, and having an adjustable height on your third person view is always a good thing. As such, I couldn't vote, since you didn't add "both" as an option.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom